The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old June 20, 2018, 20:42   #1
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
Vision question

6 retinal surgeries in last 3 years, both eyes; now I have small areas of scar tissue in my left eye at the central retina that is messin with my left eye vision enough that I think I need to learn to shoot with my right eye (I am a left handed left eye shooter). This problem only impacts my central vision, peripheral is normal for me. Central is just slightly fuzzy & 'wrinkled' but I can see well enough for most all tasks using both eyes.

I can see well enough w both eyes as stated but for shooting & sight picture my left eye is not so great any more. I can do it but right eye definitely better. Long guns are a bust., I will need to relearn to shoulder on my right & sight w my right eye, I am more concerned about handgun shooting.

Question is, relearn to shoot right handed or stay left handed with right eye sighting picture. Or?

No more surgeries unless my left eye starts to really impact my quality of life...this surgery would not be a laser repair it would be more invasive w no guarantee of better vision & with the risks that come with all surgeries, so unless my left eye keeps getting worse I will happily live with it. Thanks.
Old June 20, 2018, 21:19   #2
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by chino*74 View Post
6 retinal surgeries in last 3 years, both eyes; now I have small areas of scar tissue in my left eye at the central retina that is messin with my left eye vision enough that I think I need to learn to shoot with my right eye (I am a left handed left eye shooter). This problem only impacts my central vision, peripheral is normal for me. Central is just slightly fuzzy & 'wrinkled' but I can see well enough for most all tasks using both eyes.

I can see well enough w both eyes as stated but for shooting & sight picture my left eye is not so great any more. I can do it but right eye definitely better. Long guns are a bust., I will need to relearn to shoulder on my right & sight w my right eye, I am more concerned about handgun shooting.

Question is, relearn to shoot right handed or stay left handed with right eye sighting picture. Or?

No more surgeries unless my left eye starts to really impact my quality of life...this surgery would not be a laser repair it would be more invasive w no guarantee of better vision & with the risks that come with all surgeries, so unless my left eye keeps getting worse I will happily live with it. Thanks.
My son is left handed but right eye dominant. He does ok looking across, but he doesn't know any different.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 14:20   #3
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
youre human?

You can learn to shoot anyway that is needed.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 14:33   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Learn to use either hand so your eyes will work either side. Plus a red dot sight will help in my opinion.
Old June 21, 2018, 14:53   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Optic neuropathy fubared my right eye back in 83.It really wasn't particularly difficult to learn to shop handguns "left eyed". Long guns required learning to shoot left handed, of course, again not all that difficult. Hardest part is learning to work all the switches and handles left handed, the visual wasn't that tough. One caveat, my right eye went pretty much totally kaput, so my left eye wasn't "fighting" my previously dominant right. You might have to start by closing your right eye until your brain adapts.

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 19:30   #6
hongkong3
Double G's Personal Troll

FALaholic #: 3565
Had a bad retinal detachment about 20 years ago so it was lasered, frozen, and for good measure they put a band around the eyeball. Most of the central vision is gone, pretty good peripheral vision but I adapted to shooting everything with both eyes open with great results although it did take a few years for the brain to adjust. Give it some time and you'll figure out what works for you.
Lest we forget Gougered (gg erd), German, adj. 1. Slang. Bilked: cheated. 2. To be deceived or tricked. 3. To be deprive of some right or something legally due. 4. Deliberate misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth 5. To be deceived by a stratagem, often of a petty, crafty, or dishonorable kind.
hongkong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 21:07   #7
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
An eye patch over your left eye can help. It's an old, but effective, technique.
Otherwise, try to find an opthalmologist that's also a shooter; you won't regret doing it!
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote