Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old May 15, 2018, 15:18   #1
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Old Gun Displays

So I'm waiting for an old muzzle-loading long gun to fall into my hands on the cheap, for the sake of some décor over my new fireplace. Ideally it would be Damascus with good grain to the barrels, but only has to be complete, don't care about function. I figure I'll trip onto one sooner or later, but that's not the point of this thread.

Fireplace is all stone, and I made the mantle myself from a piece of 7ft long, 4" x 16" driftwood I found at my personal honey hole for such things. I want to hang an old gun over the fireplace, but am looking for ideas on how to go about it. Do any of you have something similar for your wall-hangers? If so what did you use, and how do you have it positioned? Were $$$ no object I'd go full "Governor's Palace" of Williamsburg, VA fame, but otherwise I have a willing bride that currently likes just the ol' Model 94 on the mantle, but is open to other possibilities. Sooooo, you boys have pics?

jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 05:28   #2
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
no pic, but i do have a minty marlin 98 in a wooden action cradle on a chestnut mirrored high mantle in the dining room. just a short piece of oak millwork board with some v blocks on each end supporting the action.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 06:43   #3
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Wifey's antique Turkish blunderbuss is mounted on our living room wall.
Nothing fancy, just some turned and stained wood dowel for support and not free standing.
I did an image search on the intergoogle and saw some neat ideas that might appeal to you.

For example:

Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 16:12   #4
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
I've been into Martial Arts for almost all of my life, so our living room is decorated in the Oriental style.
Therefore, my mantelpiece has various Oriental weapons (reproductions of course)
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 18:41   #5
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
An old rifle hanging on upturned deer feet has always appealed to me
Old May 17, 2018, 05:56   #6
Andraste
Registered

FALaholic #: 80827
I like the simple flat iron hooks. ( Not my picture)
Andraste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 11:04   #7
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andraste View Post
I like the simple flat iron hooks. ( Not my picture)
I do like that. Makes me wish (yet again) that my SMLE Sniper hadn't been sporterized post war though...
Old May 17, 2018, 20:26   #8
Andraste
Registered

FALaholic #: 80827
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
I do like that. Makes me wish (yet again) that my SMLE Sniper hadn't been sporterized post war though...
I have my grandfathers SMLE and hope to hang it with an old damascus double barrel 12ga that kicked my ass as a kid.
Andraste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 20:43   #9
HighRatMaster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 19296
I'm working on a display to hang above the bar during our Memorial Day party. We expect 250-300 people this year and we always try to keep it light and funny in the bar we call the "Steam Donkey Saloon".

This rifle will hanging from the rafters:

The info banner will hang above it:

THE JOHNSON RIFLE

Originally built by the backstabbing British for sale to both sides of the conflict during The American Civil War this Enfield "Model of 1853" rifle was issued to legendary mountain man, frontiersman, Indian fighter and patriot Jeremiah Johnson when he joined the United States Army for the second time and was used by him during the Civil War. Upon his discharge for wounds received Johnson was granted ownership of the big, heavily used but much trusted rifle he had carried in many famous battles and wielded to good effect.

After leaving the service of the Union Army he travelled to the California gold fields with thoughts of mining or logging but within a short while decided to return the mountains of Montana. His return journey led him to the already famous STEAM DONKEY SALOON and it was the last stop in the Sierra Nevada Mountains on his retreat from California. A night of drinking "Snake Bites" with the local ruffians left Johnson unable to pay his bar bill and he was convinced by a very stout and firm barkeep to leave this rifle behind as payment.

In 1875 the big rifle was purchased from the STEAM DONKEY SALOON proprietors by infamous highwayman and notoriously polite bandit Charles Boles aka Black Bart. He used it for a short time before acquiring a double barreled 10 gauge much better suited to his trade. It returned to the STEAM DONKEY SALOON on November 3rd, 1883 when the stage coach robber also ran up a bar bill for Mitch Ale and Cider he couldn't pay whereupon it was pointed out a generally healthier alternative was surrendering the big rifle rather than any attempt at defrauding the innkeeper.

Since that time the big Johnson rifle has become a much treasured arm in the STEAM DONKEY SALOON arsenal and over the years has been called upon to repel borders, club anarchists, launch grappling hooks, dispatch occasional grizzly bears as well as maintain order and decorum in the now world famous STEAM DONKEY SALOON. Despite 165 years of near continuous use an anonymous Special Forces sniper recently said he was "quite certain" it would "cut plumb center" at 785 yards.

There a several inside jokes as well as a few historical inaccuracies and movie marksman references included in the banner.

It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Last edited by HighRatMaster; May 17, 2018 at 20:52.
HighRatMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 07:22   #10
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Cool Story HighRat. Thought that Enfield looked familiar, have the same, but as a Snyder conversion. Too bad the EX lost the Breech Plug, never got to shoot the dang thing.
Old May 18, 2018, 08:17   #11
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRatMaster View Post
I'm working on a display to hang above the bar during our Memorial Day party. We expect 250-300 people this year and we always try to keep it light and funny in the bar we call the "Steam Donkey Saloon".

This rifle will hanging from the rafters:

The info banner will hang above it:

THE JOHNSON RIFLE

Originally built by the backstabbing British for sale to both sides of the conflict during The American Civil War this Enfield "Model of 1853" rifle was issued to legendary mountain man, frontiersman, Indian fighter and patriot Jeremiah Johnson when he joined the United States Army for the second time and was used by him during the Civil War. Upon his discharge for wounds received Johnson was granted ownership of the big, heavily used but much trusted rifle he had carried in many famous battles and wielded to good effect.

After leaving the service of the Union Army he travelled to the California gold fields with thoughts of mining or logging but within a short while decided to return the mountains of Montana. His return journey led him to the already famous STEAM DONKEY SALOON and it was the last stop in the Sierra Nevada Mountains on his retreat from California. A night of drinking "Snake Bites" with the local ruffians left Johnson unable to pay his bar bill and he was convinced by a very stout and firm barkeep to leave this rifle behind as payment.

In 1875 the big rifle was purchased from the STEAM DONKEY SALOON proprietors by infamous highwayman and notoriously polite bandit Charles Boles aka Black Bart. He used it for a short time before acquiring a double barreled 10 gauge much better suited to his trade. It returned to the STEAM DONKEY SALOON on November 3rd, 1883 when the stage coach robber also ran up a bar bill for Mitch Ale and Cider he couldn't pay whereupon it was pointed out a generally healthier alternative was surrendering the big rifle rather than any attempt at defrauding the innkeeper.

Since that time the big Johnson rifle has become a much treasured arm in the STEAM DONKEY SALOON arsenal and over the years has been called upon to repel borders, club anarchists, launch grappling hooks, dispatch occasional grizzly bears as well as maintain order and decorum in the now world famous STEAM DONKEY SALOON. Despite 165 years of near continuous use an anonymous Special Forces sniper recently said he was "quite certain" it would "cut plumb center" at 785 yards.

There a several inside jokes as well as a few historical inaccuracies and movie marksman references included in the banner.

That is quite fantastic! Makes me want to come pay homage someday.