Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old March 14, 2019, 19:07   #1
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
End of an era, or......????

I have had a bike (or three) since I was about 10. I've ridden a Harley since forever too. Me and my five boys raced hare scrambles and trail road for about 15 years or more together. Some of them got into street bikes as well. At one time I peaked at 17 motorcycles in my shop between us all.

As the boys all grew up, went to college and/or got families and jobs, and I grew older, the dirt bike thing all fell by the wayside. Only boys #2 & #3 stayed with road bikes, but boy#3 and his wife decided last year to remodel their entire house, plus add an unattached garage. He sold his street bike at that time to help finance the remodel.

So back during the holidays, boy#3 asks "when did you last ride your old Harley?".
I answer "it has not moved for the last two years. It needs the carb rebuilt at a minimum and could use a set of tires. It has just not been on top of my priority list".
He asks "can I take it home and get it going this summer? It would be a good project for me and my boys to work on".
I said OK.

This particular bike is an '89 FLHTC I bought very slightly used in '90 or '91 with virtually no miles on it. It was a heckuva an upgrade at the time from my '80 FLT shovelhead and it has been from Yellowstone to Key West and everywhere in between numerous times. It's my "Old Faithful". This past Sunday he comes down to get the bike.

Boy asks "whatever happened to the bike lift table we used to have?"
Me: "oh, it is still here but I pulled it up in the shop rafters as I was not using it. You can take it too if you want to get it down".

After the bike and the lift table are loaded on the trailer, he then says "Oh, I forgot it was air powered. I don't have an air compressor. Do you have an extra one?".
ME: OK.

He can have it for the next year at least. My quandary will come this time next year when the tags are due again. Will I sign the title over to him, or say "thanks for fixing my bike up" and bring it home???

I love that boy. I also have a lot of relationship with that particular bike.
Old March 14, 2019, 19:49   #2
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
If he fix’s her let him ride/ have it. He has taken the first step by expressing interest.
He’ll get the same enjoyment working on it and riding it you did.
Our youngest has taken over riding my 96 Duc 916, the smile on his face when he is on it is priceless. Its basically his.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 21:00   #3
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo View Post
If he fix’s her let him ride/ have it.
Really, I have no doubts he will fix her. He is sharp and attentive to detail and he does know bikes. Having a family with a couple of pre-teens has just moved his goal posts a bit.

The things me and this particular bike have done for almost three decades I struggle to let go of however, plus I don't want to see him go through a lot of the same things I did with it. I'm not sure his wife is as "understanding" as mine is
Old March 14, 2019, 21:20   #4
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Mike, the memories from riding that bike can be replaced with another bike. Your son and grandsons will always remember the bike you gave them, and those are memories you could never replace. I wish I had the opertunities some of you blokes have had with your folks.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 21:25   #5
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I'm in the same boat, mines been sitting for 2years +. The only opportunity I get to ride is to work, which is about 22 miles. The issue is all the texting teens and unconscious drivers. I don't feel safe in my Ram 2500.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 21:29   #6
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Really, I have no doubts he will fix her. He is sharp and attentive to detail and he does know bikes. Having a family with a couple of pre-teens has just moved his goal posts a bit.

The things me and this particular bike have done for almost three decades I struggle to let go of however, plus I don't want to see him go through a lot of the same things I did with it. I'm not sure his wife is as "understanding" as mine is
Brother Congrats' that is pretty damn cool
As to his wife ?
most gals respond well to the rumble of a HD between their thighs once they actually try it.

Sounds like he's a well raised one and will do your gift good IV
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 21:37   #7
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Cobwebs are not good for anything.
Old March 14, 2019, 21:45   #8
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Yep. I had the same problem (sort of). I hadn't really ridden since my last big road trip to the Hill Country, then I moved to the Metroplex and I'm just not gonna ride up here in all that traffic. Then my office moved from Fort Worth to Dallas and after sitting up for over two years, I decided I wasn't moving the bike again. Got it running and sold it to a local bike dealer. I hope whomever buys it enjoys it as much as I did.

Not sure what to suggest how to deal with your quandry. Maybe just feel your son out as to whether he wants to keep or just wanted a project?

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 22:56   #9
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Letting go of stuff can be difficult specially those things that hold many good memories. I sold off my 2004 Ducati 999r Fila last fall but I needed the money and it was just rotting away slowly out in the shop. A thing of beauty to be sure but I had not ridden it in years. After changing the fuel pump, fuel filter and installing a new battery it fired right up just as it always had. The buyer and I clicked pretty good and have become friends. I am glad that he bought it and he appreciates what he has.
I still have 2 Ducati 1098s and a 1995 Ducati 916 that has been completely restored. One of the 1098s has less than 500 miles on it. It was the backup bike in case I crashed the crap out of the first one. This is the next one to go.
I will keep the track bike but it is going back to street trim and the 916 will stay as well. At almost 70 I have no business out on a race track anymore so a summer day putt in the mountains is about it for me any more.
After I got hooked on the race track riding on the street just had no appeal anymore. I can sum it up in one word “BORING”.
It is up to you but I would let the bike go but the air compressor better be coming back.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 06:48   #10
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Got rid of my last bike a few years ago. We'd been together for over thirty years, before even wives or children. Both myself and the bike were getting long in the tooth so the time was right for us to part.

My boys had no interest in it. If they had been into bikes I'd probably be a nervous wreck, afraid that they would put me through the anxiety that my brother and I had put my parents through.

But there is something cool, Invictus, about your son taking on your bike as a project. You've got a bit of time before you have to decide whether you really want to let it go or not.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 08:10   #11
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Nice vintage Geezer Glide.
You're a good Dad.
Still riding my '95 Guzzi 1100 that I've owned since '01. I have an old Bonneville chopper that hasn't ran in 20 years. Maybe drag it out and get it going this year.
I hope I have someone to pass my stuff on to when I get too old to play with it.
Larry

Last edited by alphadog58; March 15, 2019 at 08:28.
alphadog58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 12:28   #12
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
Cobwebs are not good for anything.
Now wait a minute, imacoonass. Cobwebs and mud-dobber nests are the only thing holding my 113 year old house together. ~ss
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 12:28   #13
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
When I get my Harley, I'm gonna take a Piss On The Grave Of Marxists Tour as well as visit my BCR and FALaholics nationwide.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 12:35   #14
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Same thing here Invictus for me. Two Harley in garage here at house. A 2003 Harley Police bike and a 2009 Ultra haven't moved an inch in two years except to wash out garage. I have traded most of my XR750 except one and just this morning i put the bike lifts in a storage area at my shop.

On another subject......How far do you live from Westmorland,Tn. ? Going out there next week to pick up a big Quincy air compressor. It is North of Nashville on Tn./Ky. line on I-40.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 13:22   #15
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
On another subject......How far do you live from Westmorland,Tn. ? Going out there next week to pick up a big Quincy air compressor. It is North of Nashville on Tn./Ky. line on I-40.
My place is about 2 hours NW of there, but I won't be home next week anyway. Have a safe trip!
Old March 15, 2019, 13:51   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
Same thing here Invictus for me. Two Harley in garage here at house. A 2003 Harley Police bike and a 2009 Ultra haven't moved an inch in two years except to wash out garage. I have traded most of my XR750 except one and just this morning i put the bike lifts in a storage area at my shop.
I hate you. About the only bike I really would like to have is an XR750. Got rid of my Springer Softtail years back after 20 years. Cluncky, heavy, uncomfortable, hot, slow and just fell out of love with it.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 16:44   #17
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I may not be far behind you.
I got the duc out exactly once laat year,,,perfect beautiful summer day.
Ran down to cadiz and had a good ride up through LBL, spent a few hrs out on the boat, rode back on 62 right before dark. Couple of miles from home I bumped it down (just one) and rolled on it (just a little) maybe hit 90 ?,,,
Frakin deer jumped out of nowhere and I locked up the front and left a 50' streak.
Parked it with the nice new flat spot showing,,,just to remind myself shit happens and Im still a dumb ass...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 17:42   #18
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
This looks like a good excuse for you to buy a new bike so you can ride with your son.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 19:11   #19
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Years ago, I passed on my first Ducati, a 2005 Monster 620ie. to my oldest son. Last Friday night, it was flattened by a DUI driver piloting a Toyota Tundra. The out of town contractor had had too much and struck another vehicle and ran. With the Panama City PD in pursuit, he entered a turn lane opposite my son who was waiting on the light. Had my son not seen him coming and bailed from the bike, he would most likely be dead. The bike was totaled, my son has bruises from his upper thigh to his ankle and several abrasions on his lower leg. Above all, be careful out there and keep your head on a swivel!
Old March 15, 2019, 21:18   #20
TheOtherChris
Registered

FALaholic #: 2050
I haven't shot my STG-58 in 3 years.
Maybe it is time to pass that on.
But I am not ready to give up my '70 GMC or my compressor
Old March 15, 2019, 21:30   #21
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Its funny how our sheds all look alike inside.
You have an old wagon wheel hanging..
I have an old ships wheel hanging.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 21:59   #22
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

In searching for old pix of this bike, I learned something about myself in my younger days. Apparently "memories" worth photographing with a Harley at that time usually included "mammary" pix as well.

Here is a "G rated" one I found. Me at Devil's Tower WY in 1996.

Old March 16, 2019, 22:03   #23
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
Mom kicked down her Dyna, with nearly 100k on the clock, to my younger brother, a couple years back. She decided she was done with the long hauls and didnt want to be tempted to line up another trip to Sturgis, via Key West. It was her Iron Butt bike, with an extra 2.5gal fuel cell on the back rack. She did more than one trip that had 1000 mile days, with it.

I have her rusted out old sportster in the shed and last fall, she started talking about needing screaming eagle pipes and highway pegs, on that old 1200, so she could ride it home for a sunday go to church bike. Mind you, home is 750 miles from the shed and she said, its just a quick day trip...

Brother said she aint riding that ol POS and we got her a fresher one. Even has a pipe, big bore kit and hotted up ignition, plus some highway pegs. That should keep her comfy on the stretches she likes to cover. I found a windshield for it, about the same size as the one on her Dyna, so she has the same view. I also pulled the aux tank off the Dyna, to mount on the back rack of the sportster, yanno, cant have her stopping every hour and a half for fuel. She has no idea what we are up to and will shat her chaps, when she sees it...
Old March 23, 2019, 16:54   #24
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

He is on it.....

Old March 23, 2019, 23:57   #25
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
I hope that means his daughter will be the next owner
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2019, 05:13   #26
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
One of the memories that I have of my dad was helping him get a new police HD. He picked it up in June of 2004 and by end of July of 2004 dad had put more than 5k on it. When he was younger he always wanted to have a bike but his step dad wouldn’t let him get one. Then he had a nice Uncle who gave him a trip to Vietnam. When he came home he married Mom and started a family and never really had an opportunity to get a bike until latter in life. At one point he had three HD. One by one they found new homes, the last to go was the 2004 Road King. That one went when the doctors told him he need to be on oxygen 24/7 and told him he shouldn’t ride anymore just in case he were to blackout from lack of oxygen. He had said many times that I would get the bike when he pasted away, however are having it sit for a few months and now being able to ride it, looking at every time he when to the garage was just to hard for him. He had a guy offer him almost as much money as he paid for the bike over 10 years earlier, he knew it was going to a good home too. To him it just made good financial sense to him to sell the bike. If he would have given it to me when he sold it, I’m not sure how much it would have been used. Seeing photos of dad on the bike with a big grin on his face is good for me.
Invictus, thanks for bring back this memory of my dad. Hope your son and Gand kids will have the same type years from now of you and your bike.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2019, 12:21   #27
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Invictus that is a wonderful pic. It covers so much ground esp. when you think about what has happened here.

P.S. Made the trip last week to Westmoreland to pick up the big Quincy and got home safe and sound. Beautiful country there Brother.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote