The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old February 16, 2019, 06:04   #1
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Bula? How do they rank for complete rifles compared to the rest?

I've just been seeing this name, sometimes mentioned in conjunction with JRA and as a source for M1-family weapons barrels. I see they offer complete rifles as well when I visited their site. How do they stack up to JRA, LRB, Fulton, etc. and do they make their own parts or just distribute them?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 07:51   #2
HD-Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 68541
Bula

Bula makes the receivers for James River. Bula also continues to expand their product line of USGI parts, ie bolts, op-rods, firing mechs, etc. Some say the tolerances on these parts are not as good as early USGI parts.
HD-Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 08:25   #3
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Ghost View Post
Some say the tolerances on these parts are not as good as early USGI parts.
And some say, especially due to the new manufacturing technology, that they're better or at least on par. Bula makes one of the few forged receivers available, are reasonably priced, and go together well. Their customer service is also very good.

I have one of their XM21 receivers with the integrated pic rail; my first M14 clone build. Visit the M14 forum. You won't find much if anything negative said about Bula.

SEI and LRB both make fine receivers and parts but at significantly higher pricing.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 08:37   #4
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Ghost View Post
Bula makes the receivers for James River. Bula also continues to expand their product line of USGI parts, ie bolts, op-rods, firing mechs, etc. Some say the tolerances on these parts are not as good as early USGI parts.
Suggestion, don't listen to what " some say".
Having used dozens of Bula's receivers and parts to complete builds in my shop, I rate their products #1 over any other current or past receiver mfg and the top supplier of M14 parts and barrels.
Bula does indeed make all the parts necessary except stocks and front and rear sights to build an M14 type rifle. Their parts are generally better than USGI. Modern CNC machines combined with highly qualified operators keep the parts extremely close in tolerances. Bula's quality control is always looking for areas where improvements might be made and with the help of input from users are right up there with the best ever. They stand behind everything that they make.
JRA assembles their rifles using Bula parts and Boyd stocks.
Bula does in fact build rifles at their facility and will, upon request, also build custom match rifles including bedding in either right or left hand configurations.

Last year at Camp Perry I requested a specific rifle be built with a stock that I really liked. 24 hours later they hand delivered this 450 bushmaster to me on Commercial Row. Can't beat that for service. The owner of Bula Forge assisted in the completion of this rifle along with their main builder. I enjoyed watching the two of them do the final fitting of the handguard right there on commercial row at Bula's booth. Can't beat that for service.
Proud to be the owner of the first ever .450 Bushmaster XM21 built by Bula Defense Systems.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by ArtBanks; February 16, 2019 at 08:53.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 09:07   #5
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Bula, the tits - duly noted!

Absolutely beautiful rifle, no doubt about it - but from this old Limey's perspective - an M14, looks like a Garand, with a Fal mag stuck in it! Lovely wood, subtle calibre choice!! - bet it shoots like a bitch?

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 09:52   #6
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Beautiful rifle Art...

Interesting caliber choice..wasent the 450 bushmaster designed to fit 5.56 mags ?
Does it work in unmodified m14 mags or ?

Next to than beauty stock,,that poor peavey pole is just crying for some BLO,,,lol,,
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 09:59   #7
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Beautiful rifle Art...

Interesting caliber choice..wasent the 450 bushmaster designed to fit 5.56 mags ?
Does it work in unmodified m14 mags or ?

Next to than beauty stock,,that poor peavey pole is just crying for some BLO,,,lol,,
Yes it was, but it works fine fed from an M14 mag.
No modifications are necessary to the mag.
15 rnds work fine in a 20 rnd mag.
That peavey hasn't had anything applied in the last 45 years and I don't expect it will in the next.
RVN 67-68
Old February 16, 2019, 10:04   #8
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Suggestion, don't listen to what " some say".
Having used dozens of Bula's receivers and parts to complete builds in my shop, I rate their products #1 over any other current or past receiver mfg and the top supplier of M14 parts and barrels.
Bula does indeed make all the parts necessary except stocks and front and rear sights to build an M14 type rifle. Their parts are generally better than USGI. Modern CNC machines combined with highly qualified operators keep the parts extremely close in tolerances. Bula's quality control is always looking for areas where improvements might be made and with the help of input from users are right up there with the best ever. They stand behind everything that they make.
JRA assembles their rifles using Bula parts and Boyd stocks.
Bula does in fact build rifles at their facility and will, upon request, also build custom match rifles including bedding in either right or left hand configurations.

Last year at Camp Perry I requested a specific rifle be built with a stock that I really liked. 24 hours later they hand delivered this 450 bushmaster to me on Commercial Row. Can't beat that for service. The owner of Bula Forge assisted in the completion of this rifle along with their main builder. I enjoyed watching the two of them do the final fitting of the handguard right there on commercial row at Bula's booth. Can't beat that for service.
Proud to be the owner of the first ever .450 Bushmaster XM21 built by Bula Defense Systems.

Beautiful rifle and testimony to Bula.......Trying to remember name of tool shown in photo from years ago. Is it a caint hook? Spelling is incorrect i'm sure.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 10:11   #9
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
Beautiful rifle and testimony to Bula.......Trying to remember name of tool shown in photo from years ago. Is it a caint hook? Spelling is incorrect i'm sure.
I think it depends on what part of the country you are from.
I call it a peavy, some call it a cante hook.
Whatever one calls it it means work, but sure saves a lot of grief if you need to roll logs around. We get 16 cords of log length firewood every year and sure is handy for moving it around. I enjoy the cutting and splitting especially when I realize how much money I am not sending to the Arabs.
RVN 67-68
Old February 16, 2019, 20:07   #10
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
It is a "Cant Hook", Peavey's have a spike and are made in Eddington, Maine by The Peavey Manf. Co. founded by Joseph Peavey. Still in business, last I wandered out that way.

Oh yeah, used them pogues way far more than I had a mind to.

btw; real good looking rifle there.
Old February 17, 2019, 09:49   #11
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
It is a "Cant Hook", Peavey's have a spike and are made in Eddington, Maine by The Peavey Manf. Co. founded by Joseph Peavey. Still in business, last I wandered out that way.

Oh yeah, used them pogues way far more than I had a mind to.

btw; real good looking rifle there.
Ah yes,,a strait spike out of the bottom instead of a cam opposite the hook...
I stand corrected,,,Thanks for refreshing my memory,,
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019, 13:21   #12
Pappy
Registered

FALaholic #: 79404
I have sold a few of Bula complete rifles and had the chance to fire them as well, for the money you can't go wrong on their complete rifles. They shoot very well and the added forged receiver is a plus.
Pappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 06:27   #13
C1 Chinook
Registered

FALaholic #: 82137
My James River and Bula xm21 run and shoot great!! Like them better than Springfield Armoury. Much better Quality for sure!!
C1 Chinook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 17:51   #14
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
I've never seen one in vitro but judging by the ones Brother Art has in his armory, they look to be beautiful and functional M-14 variants.

ME WANT!!!

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:19   #15
Tex
Registered

FALaholic #: 747
Bula is awesome. Anything they make. Good people to deal with too.