The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old February 02, 2019, 20:41   #1
mike_f
Registered

FALaholic #: 9684
Trilux Mount Difficult to Install

I'm having trouble installing a Trilux mount on my DSA Aussie cut upper receiver. The Standard L1A1 cover installs & removes freely with no problems.

The Trilux cover is tight and needs to be tapped on for the front few inches, and then would require some swift blows with a hammer to get on all of the way. I've been too scared to fully install it.

The lip on the right side has some "waviness" that prevents it from sliding on. I've tried to take some close-up photos of that portion of the lip. I've searched the site and haven't found where this particular situation has been discussed previously.

I removed some of the finish in the wavy area to see if it was just excess finish or if the metal was bent. The metal is bent.

General Mount Photos:

Since these mounts seem to be relatively hard to find, I don't want to just hammer away and damage/break it. And even if installed, getting it off again would probably require even more force.

Is there a common way to deal with this problem (he says hopefully)? Thanks.
mike_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 21:01   #2
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Easy fix. small flattened cold chisle and a small hammer. LIGHTLY tap the chisel along the top of the bent up edge, while supporting the mount on a hardwood block or your wife's kitchen counter.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 22:26   #3
mike_f
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
Easy fix. small flattened cold chisle and a small hammer. LIGHTLY tap the chisel along the top of the bent up edge, while supporting the mount on a hardwood block or your wife's kitchen counter.
Thanks for your reply. I'll give that a try in the next couple of days and report back.
Old March 06, 2019, 12:02   #4
mike_f
Registered

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this.

The cold chisel worked to straighten out the "waves". But it seems the overall the lip is still too thick to fit the groove in the receiver.

I'm guessing it was just manufactured out of spec. I think I'll take it to a local gunsmith and get his opinion before I hack it up.
Old March 07, 2019, 16:50   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Honestly, if you can get it on with taps from a hammer (use a soft faced and not steel), I would run with that. IF the cover is tight then you are not going lose accuracy because that lack of movement. The dust cover does not need to be removed to do any routine maintenance to the rifle - cleaning, lube, etc.

By your pics, it looks as if the cover rail has been dinged a few times. To fix you just need to make that surface flat. You can do with a hammer and large flat blade screw driver. You will need a hard flat surface like a chunk of steel plate of the anvil portion of a vice. The duct cover steel is soft so you don't need to wail away with a hammer. Just sit the duct cover on the hard surface with the bottom edge down. That the blade and slide it in the groove above the bottom and lightly tap the edge with the hammer. What you are trying to do is iron out those "waves". Go slow and move it a little at a time. Don't get in a hurry and try to go fast.

And be careful when taking anything FAL to a gunsmith. Many don't have a clue and will screw one up very quickly trying to "fix" a problem that isn't a problem.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote