Notices

Old October 30, 2018, 09:46   #51
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
We were Stimpy's Knights long before there was a Fellowship.
You were knights long before I noted it. It was a matter of recognition, not promotion.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 05, 2018, 15:06   #52
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
I'm pleased to announce Hornady has signed on as a stage sponsor, and will sponsor Stage 7 (10k) or 5 (5k): Hornady's Key To Jimmy's Heart.

Begin with your rifle locked in a box. Choose a key off the table (based off a hint youíre given by the RO - which will test how well you think when exhausted). Hit 3 pistol steel on the way to the box, then safely reholster your pistol and unlock the box. If the key you chose does NOT work, return it to the table and choose another key. Re-engage the three pistol targets each time you return to the box with a new key. Unlock the box, retrieve your rifle, and kick down the door to enter the rifle shooting area. Make 3 hits each on 3 paper targets (one of which is a swinger), then hit all 6 plates on a rifle plate rack to finish the stage.

And yes - you can thank Nuttz for this stage.

https://www.hornady.com/

Old November 06, 2018, 11:07   #53
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Uhhh...Merry attacked a Ring-Wraith, no THE BOSS Ring-Wraith, with a DAGGER! Gotta at least be on par with Sam/Shelob/Cirith Ungol.

Pippin admittedly doesn't do a lot of alpha stuff, but he gets a bad wrap like a lot of other characters. (i.e. he intentionally drops a rock down the well in Moria due to curiosity, rather than accidentally doing it. Still dumb, but not bumbling) It's a shame most folks only know the movies.
I had forgotten the wring wraith incident. I shall endeavour to reread the series, cuz clearly I've forgotten enough that it's time.
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 16:16   #54
kotengu
Registered

I'm happy to announce Dillon Precision Products, Inc is back for their second year as a sponsor, and has stepped up their level of support to be an Obstacle Sponsor!

This week's stage is the "old standard". I've promised to keep doing this one until everyone complains it's too easy:

Stage 4 (5k) or 6 (10k): The Rifleman
Powerline Cut

Hit two 10" targets at 100 yds from Standing, two 10" targets at 200 yds from sitting/kneeling, and two 10" targets at 300 yds from prone.

Photo by Lisa Stennett
Old November 13, 2018, 16:35   #55
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Photo by Lisa Stennett
What does Lisa do if you forget to credit her?

Old November 13, 2018, 19:09   #56
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
This is why I limp sometimes.
Old November 14, 2018, 00:09   #57
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Yeah - that's the reason.

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 17:00   #58
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Quote:
This is why I limp sometimes.
That's because if she swings high, she might miss.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2018, 16:36   #59
kotengu
Registered

I am thrilled to welcome Samson Manufacturing back for their third year as an obstacle sponsor. Samson does so much to support the shooting sports, and makes some really good gear too - check them out and see if you can return the favor. Big thanks to Bryan Ray and Brian Vaught for being excellent ambassadors for them and always being up for a new challenge!

https://www.samson-mfg.com/

This week's stage comes from the evil mind of Rusty Trumble:

Stage 2: Improvised Support
Cowboy Town

Begin in the barn, with three targets at 40-50 yds – stage is all rifle. On the buzzer, drop to prone on a wobbly platform. Make one hit from the right shoulder around the right side of two cones. Make one hit from the left shoulder around the left side of the cones, and one hit in the center between the cones. Put the rifle on safe and set it down facing downrange, then sprint 40 yards (out and back). Retrieve your rifle and move to the car door, where you will repeat the right, left, center pattern using the car window as a support from approximately kneeling height. Safely ground the rifle and sprint another 40 yards. Make one hit from the right shoulder using the right side of the barn opening as a brace. Make one hit from the left shoulder using the left side of the opening as a brace. Make one hit using a strap strung across the opening as a brace – all at approximately standing height.

"Sprint" may have different meanings for you depending on your fitness level. You'll know you're pushing hard enough if you really NEED the improvised support to make the hits. :-)

Photo, of course, by Lisa Stennett
Old November 21, 2018, 23:39   #60
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Isn't he always the one saying stages should be simpler? Lol
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2018, 07:48   #61
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigre View Post
Isn't he always the one saying stages should be simpler? Lol
Remind him of that when you see him. ;-)
Old November 22, 2018, 10:08   #62
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
I am thrilled to welcome Samson Manufacturing back for their third year as an obstacle sponsor.....

"Sprint" may have different meanings for you depending on your fitness level. You'll know you're pushing hard enough if you really NEED the improvised support to make the hits. :-)
So you are going to sprint out 40 yards, back 40 yards, shoot, sprint out 40 yards, back 40 yards and shoot some more? And all of this after you (meaning someone other than me) have run a couple of K and participated in another "SIMPLE" shooting stage (#1). Are you going to put a par time on it too?

I figure at MY pace this stage will take me 8-10 minutes to complete since there are toddlers who move faster than me at a dead sprint.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old November 22, 2018, 16:26   #63
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
So you are going to sprint out 40 yards, back 40 yards, shoot, sprint out 40 yards, back 40 yards and shoot some more? And all of this after you (meaning someone other than me) have run a couple of K and participated in another "SIMPLE" shooting stage (#1). Are you going to put a par time on it too?

I figure at MY pace this stage will take me 8-10 minutes to complete since there are toddlers who move faster than me at a dead sprint.
40 yds total each time - 20 out and 20 back. I'm afraid we have to put a 3 minute par time on all the stages just to keep things from getting too backed up. Just do as much as you can in those 3 minutes, and 10 seconds will be added to your time for each target not hit. You will not be alone if you do not finish.

And no, you can't just give up when the buzzer goes off and say "9 FTNs = 90 seconds, right?". That would give you 180 seconds plus 90 seconds = 270 seconds.
Old November 22, 2018, 16:56   #64
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

20 out and back will be doable for most people I'll work on my winded sprints. I am 90% sure I am coming, but would like it to be as a competitor.

Old November 28, 2018, 10:05   #65
kotengu
Registered

Everyone simulates shooting from a boat with a wobbly platform - we're really going to do it!

Stage 5 (10k Only): Maritime Operations
The Pond

On the buzzer, climb into the jon boat and pull yourself forward in the pond using the supplied rope until you can see the six rifle targets in the distance: two skinny sammies and four 10" flashers placed from 50 to 200 yds. Make one hit on each target. Pull yourself back on your run time.

It being March, I will not require you to get wet. If you fall out of the boat it's on you. And no, you cannot just plunge into the pond and shoot the targets while standing in the water. :-)

Last edited by kotengu; November 28, 2018 at 10:38.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2018, 11:47   #66
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
You. Sick. Bastard. I love it.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2018, 11:50   #67
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

"CQD 20meters, this is N4STG/MM requesting naval gunfire."

Last edited by stimpsonjcat; November 28, 2018 at 11:55.
Old November 28, 2018, 13:53   #68
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
"CQD 20meters, this is N4STG/MM requesting naval gunfire."
Roger. Incoming!
Old November 28, 2018, 13:53   #69
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
You. Sick. Bastard. I love it.
I hope not. It would really suck to be sick in March!
Old November 28, 2018, 14:35   #70
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
I hope not. It would really suck to be sick in March!
You 10Kers have all the fun.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2018, 21:19   #71
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
1972– Was on DMZ when Vietnam Easter Offensive started. Provided Naval Gunfire support for Major Ripley at Dong Ha Bridge, and downed pilots. Was credited with 5 tank kills. April 6 took the war North OPERATION FREEDOM TRAIN. On April 17, 1972 BUCHANAN was hit by North Vietnamese shore fire. Seaman Davis was KIA and seven wounded. BUCHANAN took part in operation Line Backer II taking part on strikes on Hiaphong Harbor clearing SAM sites so the harbor could be mined. Buchanan replaced barrels and repaired battle damage in Da Nang from USS Hector was First time in Vietnam war for US ship to be serviced in war zone.
1972 – Buchanan became Mod Squad One of three destroyers in Pacific , six Navy wide to be made "Mod Squad". This was an Admiral Zummwald program to reward outstanding performing officers with commands of larger ships than their rank would normally receive Lt. Commander as skipper instead of Commander
This was my first ship. Got on board at the end of this deployment in '72 and sailed it back to San Diego for a refit. Last of the two gun shooters - MK42 5 inch 54 caliber guns - Mount 51 fore and Mount 52 aft. Kind of used to Naval Gunfire Support.

Last edited by tac-40; November 28, 2018 at 21:26.
Old November 28, 2018, 22:59   #72
kotengu
Registered

Quote:

This was my first ship. Got on board at the end of this deployment in '72 and sailed it back to San Diego for a refit. Last of the two gun shooters - MK42 5 inch 54 caliber guns - Mount 51 fore and Mount 52 aft. Kind of used to Naval Gunfire Support.
Very cool - this stage was made for you! But no 5" guns allowed. I would have no more targets left after you shoot. ;-)
Old November 29, 2018, 12:36   #73
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
You 10Kers have all the fun.
I did not notice that...hmm...might have to run the 10k then.

Old November 29, 2018, 22:27   #74
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
I did not notice that...hmm...might have to run the 10k then.
10k guys always get the extra "treats" in return for running twice as far. They get the slackline too, and the SHO/WHO pistol dueling tree.
Old December 01, 2018, 10:59   #75
kotengu
Registered

Registration will open two weeks from today at 10:00am Central Time on Saturday, December 15th. Full payment is due when you register. Last year the 5k sold out in 17 minutes and the 10k took a few days to sell out - so make plans to be near a computer with a credit card when it opens if you want to get in!

Here's the 5k registration link. Total required hit count for the 5k is 38 rifle and 30 pistol (24 if you listen well). Yes - the round count is low. This is a simple skills test, not a hose-fest. You will be well tested.

https://www.practiscore.com/5k-rockc...-2019/register

Here's the 10k registration link. Total required hit count for the 10k is 44 rifle and 42 pistol (36 if you listen well).

https://www.practiscore.com/10k-rock...one-1/register

A full Course of Fire, Map, and rules are available as downloads at the registration link on Practiscore. You will need a Practiscore login to register - don't wait until the 15th to get one.
Old December 01, 2018, 20:35   #76
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Well as much as I would love to go, it looks like the RBGC FAL match will interfere with this. The boss has already told me that 1 out of state match per month is the limit.

Well, maybe I CAN be in the match. Looks like RBGC is being rescheduled.

Last edited by tac-40; December 03, 2018 at 23:38.
Old December 02, 2018, 21:35   #77
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Well as much as I would love to go, it looks like the RBGC FAL match will interfere with this. The boss has already told me that 1 out of state match per month is the limit.
I'm sorry we'll miss you, but I totally get it. This is the FAL Files, after all, and the FAL Match should take precedence!
Old December 05, 2018, 09:16   #78
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FAL match is now March 2nd.

Old December 06, 2018, 16:23   #79
kotengu
Registered

I am thrilled to announce Magpul Industries Corp. is back this year as a Stage Sponsor. They will bring you Rusty Trumble's evil Stage 2: Magpul's Improvised Support.

https://www.magpul.com/

Old December 06, 2018, 17:16   #80
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Improvised Support.
I am picturing a few bowling pins, a beach-ball, blow-up doll, and Nuttz in spandex sitting indian-style on the firing line. Rusty says "You can use any of these you like for support, but no prone. Oh, by the way, Jimmy has had a bottle of Jameson...so be careful."

Old December 06, 2018, 23:11   #81
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
I am picturing a few bowling pins, a beach-ball, blow-up doll, and Nuttz in spandex sitting indian-style on the firing line. Rusty says "You can use any of these you like for support, but no prone. Oh, by the way, Jimmy has had a bottle of Jameson...so be careful."
Close. See post #59 for a full description.

And I don't EVER want to picture Nuttz in spandex again. Indian-style or any other way.
Old December 07, 2018, 21:39   #82
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Close. See post #59 for a full description.

And I don't EVER want to picture Nuttz in spandex again. Indian-style or any other way.
To make you happy, I'll give him a pair of my yoga pants (freshly washed). They definitely will NOT be spandex tight on him.

Old December 07, 2018, 23:40   #83
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
To make you happy, I'll give him a pair of my yoga pants (freshly washed). They definitely will NOT be spandex tight on him.
I don't think you understand what makes me happy.