The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old March 09, 2017, 20:20   #1
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
DDI 12 - Thinking about Buying one, Looking for Helpful Comments

Its been a long time since I had the urge to buy a new toy (2009 I think), but after reading allot of reviews and youtube videos, I am thinking about buying a DDI 12.

Most of the reviews I have read seem ok, some say watch out for this magazine, or do not use these shells... but overall seem ok.

I have enough rifles, shotguns, pistols to arm a small army, but the DDI 12 just looks cool and seems like a great toy to just blow stuff up.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by flejl; March 09, 2017 at 20:21. Reason: forgot to add notification
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2017, 21:49   #2
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
From what I read (albeit on AKFiles) it's junk. Massive price drops and sales are never a good indicator. Molot/Vepr seems like a better choice in the long run.
rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2017, 22:49   #3
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
1. DDI is not even around any more ..PSA bought them out and killed all imports ... There might be a spin off company at some point but ? PSA did say they would take care of warrenty work but on a imported gun
2. They have a lot and I mean a lot of problems the first one were basicly not running guns bolts , parts breaking etc ...
3. Even with hot and heavy stuff they had problems .

Stick to a Veper 12 or pay the money and get a Saiga your call ...Both will be better then this
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2017, 10:36   #4
flejl
Registered

I appreciate the feedback, this is very useful information.

I responded to a post over on the AKfiles that talked about some problems, but most of it seemed to be based upon 1-2 bad guns from what I could tell... there was to much bitching and complaining and I was looking for fact.

More than anything else the fact that the company that bought DDI killed the import product, means among others the DDI 12 tells me to stay away from it... I would suspect the new owners may see liability in that product otherwise they would keep it.

Thanks
Old March 10, 2017, 12:18   #5
pre1989
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flejl View Post
I appreciate the feedback, this is very useful information.

I responded to a post over on the AKfiles that talked about some problems, but most of it seemed to be based upon 1-2 bad guns from what I could tell... there was to much bitching and complaining and I was looking for fact.

More than anything else the fact that the company that bought DDI killed the import product, means among others the DDI 12 tells me to stay away from it... I would suspect the new owners may see liability in that product otherwise they would keep it.

Thanks

Really the only gun I hope they manged to re import is the Puma bullpup shotgun ..Only as they have been for sale up north for a while and most of the main kinks seem to have been worked out on them ...They kick like a mule though

But yeah you made the right call get a Veper or such .... Only as the ? on the future support and re sale on DDI
Old March 11, 2017, 19:46   #6
flejl
Registered

I decided to go in a completely different direction for a new toy.

I could justify spending $500 for the DDI 12 if it was any good in my own mind, but I just cannot justify spending $800 plus for a VEPR, its just a 12 gauge AK.

I ordered a SARARMS SAR K245, known in the US as an EAA SAR K2 45ACP from CDNN earlier today. All of the reviews I can find are great, and who can argue with 14+ rounds of 45ACP in a CZ 75 based design!

Maybe if/when the VEPR prices come down I will take the plunge, but not today.

I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks
Old March 11, 2017, 22:28   #7
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
You will love your SAR K2, it is well built, comfortable to shoot, accurate and like you said...you can't beat 15rds of .45ACP!

P.S. If you are looking for spare mags, the K2 is compatible with Para Ordnance P14-45 mags, which are a bit cheaper and easier to find.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 00:53   #8
pre1989
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flejl View Post
I decided to go in a completely different direction for a new toy.

I could justify spending $500 for the DDI 12 if it was any good in my own mind, but I just cannot justify spending $800 plus for a VEPR, its just a 12 gauge AK.

I ordered a SARARMS SAR K245, known in the US as an EAA SAR K2 45ACP from CDNN earlier today. All of the reviews I can find are great, and who can argue with 14+ rounds of 45ACP in a CZ 75 based design!

Maybe if/when the VEPR prices come down I will take the plunge, but not today.

I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks

Not if they do as they have said and they are going to be bought by Klascoive group ( sp ) and then banned from imprort

They are once again being sold and going under ..Happens alot over there to jack up prices as I hear it . But there is a worry what is going to happen

Might be scare mongering though who knows
Old March 12, 2017, 12:56   #9
flejl
Registered

To me, the value of the AK platform products does not match the premium the distributors are trying to charge, so sales are lower than the manufacturers business model needs to turn a profit.

In simple terms, if they lowered the price back to the $200-$450 range the AK platform in many different calibers/gauges sold at for a long time, there would be no problem because they would be selling enough product to turn a profit.

I hope sanity prevails, the prices come down, corporate profits go up, and everyone wins. If not, then I will not lose sleep over another example of corporate greed killing a company.

In the end, if my life were to depend on a 12 gauge shotgun, I have several pump action models in my gun cabinets that I know will always work if needed so I am good.

Only time will tell...
Old March 17, 2017, 15:15   #10
flejl
Registered

Looks like the firearms gods are angry with me now...

The order I placed for the SARARMS SAR K245 seems to be lost in the FedEx "cloud of doom." It shipped on Monday from Texas, it snowed here in PA on Tuesday, and as of this morning FedEx is saying they cannot deliver anything in my area because of "to much snow".... maybe we can try to delivery it on Monday....

Its unreal, the roads are dry and clear, there are no problems getting anywhere, yet I am being told by people in another areas of the country I am stuck in the middle of an Ice age...

Then I call CDNN to see if they can try to get FedEx to do something, I get the "WTF" do you want me to do, its not my problem attitude from what appears to be the only person working in their customer service department.

Needles to say I will not be getting the pistol and CDNN can stick that one where the sun never shines....

I am completely shocked by the whole thing... at one point it looked like the package containing the pistol was even lost, and nobody seemed to care, not FedEx, not CDNN, nobody...
Old March 18, 2017, 12:15   #11
lawdog
Registered

FALaholic #: 7773
I urge just a little more patience. You're not the only one waiting for deliveries in PA that have been delayed. They had at least two days worth of backed up deliveries. My stuff from Amazon was supposed to show on Tuesday. Obviously the weather got a vote in that matter. Mine still hasn't showed, but I have faith it will. And yes, every road I have been on has been cleared, there just has to be a big backlog. And isn't it insured if it truly goes missing? I wouldn't panic if I were you.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 08:33   #12
flejl
Registered

Lawdog,

For what it is worth, the parts I ordered from Sears for my washing machine were ordered a couple of days after I ordered the pistol from CDNN and had no problems getting to my house! The whole "PA is a frozen wasteland thing" just is not true!

The fact Fedex really had no idea what was going or where it was located was bad, but when I called CDNN because I was concerned about a lost firearm and they gave me a serious case of "what would you like me to do" made the decision allot less painful.

I will not do business with people like that...

The whole thing was just insane.

Last edited by flejl; March 20, 2017 at 10:11.
Old March 20, 2017, 14:36   #13
lawdog
Registered

Post back and let us know when it shows up. Or whether CDNN makes a claim with FedEx.
Old March 20, 2017, 21:58   #14
flejl
Registered

On Saturday when I called around lunch time FedEx could not say what day this week or even if they could deliver it to the FFL holder I was using this week, this was less than 10 miles from their depot I believe.

However, Saturday afternoon shortly after we spoke they were able to deliver it to a completely different airport then it arrived at, 50-60 miles away while driving almost directly past the FFL holder I was using on the exact same roads.

By they way, while I spoke to them on Saturday, the offered more than once to just let me stop my and pick the package up... and I had to explain multiple times, its a firearm, it is not legal to do that... its against the law!

Tomorrow I will call CDNN to confirm they agree they received the package back from FedEx, no telling how that will go...

I guess I am just old and nuts...

If it did not happen to me, I never would believe the whole mess.
Old March 21, 2017, 10:23   #15
flejl
Registered

I spoke to the General Manager at CDNN, he confirmed they received the pistol back and will refund my credit card.

Unfortunately, his stance is we (CDNN) did our job, we shipped it, the problem is FedEx... not us.

It still does not seem to register with people, customers do not care who or what you use to provide a product.

If you use another company to deliver your product to a customer, it is still your responsibility to deliver the product to the customer... they pay you, not your 3rd party service provider or vendor... it is your name and reputation on the line...

Wow, all of the sudden this all fits back in with the whole DDI trashing their reputation because they decided to resale a Chinese junk shotgun under their name... funny how things work out some days.

Still need to wait to make sure they provide the refund.
Old March 21, 2017, 10:52   #16
lawdog
Registered

Well, hopefully you can get it elsewhere at a good price. Since it seems that in the end, it was FedEx' failure, any possibility you'd give CDNN another chance?

I haven't heard much in the way of bad press about them over the years.

For what it's worth, my stuff from Amazon via UPS still hasn't showed up in PA either.
Old March 21, 2017, 17:31   #17
flejl
Registered

I have ordered from them several times previously and always had good luck, that is why I am really shocked by the whole thing.

I was hoping when I spoke with them today there would be a better tone to the conversation, but that did not happen...

For now I will set the bar low, get a refund for the gun that never came.
Old March 23, 2017, 09:17   #18
flejl
Registered

Looks like I had good reason to set the bar low.

As of this morning the charges are still on my credit card, even though CDNN said they would be removed within 48hours of receipt of the package.

I have the "proof of delivery" from FedEx showing it was received Monday (3/20/2017)@8:48AM and the name of the person at CDNN that signed for it.

When I spoke with the General Manager at CDNN on Tuesday (3/21) he even went to the ware house and confirmed they had the pistol back in their hands.

I checked with my credit card company this morning, they have received nothing from CDNN so I now have to dispute the charges through my credit card company.

At this point, all I can say is that based upon the customer service, or to be more accurate, lack of customer service and downright contempt for the customer, I would suggest not purchasing from CDNN.
Old March 25, 2017, 13:49   #19
flejl
Registered

As of about an hour ago, the charges were removed from my credit card.

Item closed.