Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old January 09, 2017, 04:25   #1
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76858
K98 need some help

I have what I believe too be a vet bring back bnz 4. A type 2 bnz44 it is mismatched . It does have 135 waffen mark on floor plate , it does have a steyr barrel the bnz in the shield on barrel , the receiver ,barrel , floor plate , barrel bands , bolt all have numbers that don't match , no pinged eagles anywhere , no import marks , finish looks worn the same on all parts . So do you think it's a vet bring back ? A old import before late 60's when they were not marked ? Or a Russian capture ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0149.JPG (71.3 KB, 52 views)
Old January 09, 2017, 04:25   #2
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.JPG (59.0 KB, 38 views)
Old January 09, 2017, 04:26   #3
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0151.JPG (66.2 KB, 28 views)
Old January 09, 2017, 04:28   #4
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Overall pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0153.JPG (98.5 KB, 33 views)
Old January 09, 2017, 04:31   #5
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

One more pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0155.JPG (96.5 KB, 27 views)
Old January 09, 2017, 05:59   #6
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Any numbers stamped on the butt stock? Is there a number on the butt plate? Any electro-penciled numbers on the bolt or floor plate? Do any of the numbers on any parts match each other? Do any match the receiver number? So many questions.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2017, 12:19   #7
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

No numbers anywhere on Stock that I see , looks pretty worn . No number on butt plate, no electro pencil numbers anywhere . The bolt parts all match each other , the rear site both pieces match the floor plate and internal mag follower are stamped with the eagle and 135
Old January 09, 2017, 13:07   #8
Genetically Swiss
Registered

FALaholic #: 67364
If there are no large numbers stamped on the left side of the buttstock, it's probably not an RC. The Germans stamped most components, do the serial numbers on the bolt handle match those on the receiver? The upper and lower bands, bolt, cocking handle, receiver, floorplate, etc should have stamped numbers, and they should match.

GS
Old January 09, 2017, 13:17   #9
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The left side of receiver is completely blank. None of the serial numbers match
Old January 09, 2017, 19:55   #10
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Update - I took the rifle apart and the stock and forgrip and bottom metal trigger guard all have matching serial numbers . Stock and forgrip have stamped serial numbers on inside . On the right side of receiver inside the stock there is a 9T stamped and on the bottom of the receiver there is a 13 and next too it a small circle with three small lines coming out of circle one out the front and two out the back of circle
Old January 09, 2017, 20:00   #11
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Pics of what I described on receiver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.JPG (56.9 KB, 24 views)
Old January 09, 2017, 20:00   #12
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Second pic of bottom of receiver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0160.JPG (83.7 KB, 14 views)
Old January 09, 2017, 20:01   #13
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Pic of stock serial number that matches trigger housing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.JPG (54.1 KB, 13 views)
Old January 09, 2017, 20:01   #14
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Pic of trigger housing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.JPG (72.4 KB, 14 views)
Old January 09, 2017, 20:07   #15
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

No totenkopf or ss rune on this but I am thinking it was made in the bnz steyr concentration camp factory and it is a contract rifle , it isn't a RC rifle , barrel not matching receiver or bolt , stock and trigger housing matching , I'm not sure if it was assembled in this configuration post war . All the parts are wearing the same and when I removed the stock all the metal that was in stock both barrel and receiver have a slightly more blued finish and looks right to me . I don't see any arsenal marks unless those on underside of barrel the 2 is one . Any thoughts ?
Old January 10, 2017, 00:01   #16
Riversidesports
Registered

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMckay View Post
No totenkopf or ss rune on this but I am thinking it was made in the bnz steyr concentration camp factory and it is a contract rifle , it isn't a RC rifle , barrel not matching receiver or bolt , stock and trigger housing matching , I'm not sure if it was assembled in this configuration post war . All the parts are wearing the same and when I removed the stock all the metal that was in stock both barrel and receiver have a slightly more blued finish and looks right to me . I don't see any arsenal marks unless those on underside of barrel the 2 is one . Any thoughts ?
Well a few things that may apply Ted...

A number of folks starting in the mid 70s started "restoring" military rifles
Cherry stocks, bbls, etc was still all over
Hack sawed stock guns were easy, just replace the wood and hardware for over 100% return
by the 90s folks were swapping out bbls

My point is things were getting rebuilt, add 20 years on these no way to tell
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017, 00:14   #17
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I hear ya , my thoughts were most people were sporterize'n the rifles not restoring , I guess it's possible the rifle isn't original , I still think it's worth more than a RC or an import . I searched the serial number range and there was no others in the USA . I can't seem to find out if a bnz4 is more colectable than a bnz 44 . I also found info that said the 4 was early 44 and the 44 marked later. 44 . I also found that in a book just the opposite . I think one thing is for certain this is a contract gun not army but what contract ?
Old January 10, 2017, 08:55   #18
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
That barrel is likely original to the receiver, starting in 1943 Waffenfabrik Brünn (dot), and Steyr (bnz) stopped serializing the barrels to the receivers on some of production, by late 43 the Mauser factory at Oberndorf had followed suit. The numbers on the barrel will be production numbers, not a serial, and they will be oriented vertically instead of the standard horrizontal layout of a serial number. Just an fyi
Old January 10, 2017, 14:02   #19
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for that info milsurp monkey