The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old January 09, 2018, 14:40   #1
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
M14 vs. BM59 (now BM59 build discussion)

If you were thinking about a magazine feed Garand type rifle, with military pedigree ie. No tanker or SOCOM M14s, just original issue style.
Would you get a BM59(James river), or an M14 probably also james river?
Why?

Edit: went with a BM59 kit on a Beretta receiver, discussing build now.

Last edited by Ghost; January 13, 2018 at 10:17.
Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 15:17   #2
Douglas Wozny
Registered

FALaholic #: 4255
M14 clone! For the reason of readily available parts at a reasonable price.
Necat omnes! Deus suos agnoscet.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
Douglas Wozny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 15:24   #3
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
The Bula/JRA M14 is, by most reports, a great piece.
The JRA BM59, however, well, I prefer the BM59 design over the M14 but you should buy the M14.

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 15:37   #4
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
My personal preference is M14. That is mostly an emotional preference however as my personal collection and interest is primarily US military stuff (with the obvious exception of FALs).

Having said that, the couple of BM59s I have shot were pretty dang schweeet. I can definitely see me having one of those too one of these days if the right deal crossed my bow, but definitely M14/M1A first.
Old January 09, 2018, 16:43   #5
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
Not to hijack the thread....I know schuffs converts garand receivers to take m14 mags and turns it to a bm59 kind of platform.....what about converting a m1a over to a bm59 clone?
Old January 09, 2018, 17:23   #6
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
A couple of thoughts:

The currently available JRA BM59 is, I believe, built on a cast receiver. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

The JRA built M14 clone is all BULA parts; forged receiver, barrel and parts. As noted earlier, it's considered a fine rifle.

I've handled one of Shiff's BM59's. Beautiful rifle and outstanding build quality. From a performance perspective, the tri-compensator used on the BM59's seem to reduce muzzle rise more effectively than anything I've seen on a M14/M1A.

In order of price from low to high it would be JRA BM59, JRA/Bula M14 clone and then Shuffs BM59.

I'm less than a week from the end of my 90 day wait period on a Shuffs build. I'll try to come back here and post pics once she's in hand.

FWIW....Just went out to Shuff's site. Listed as newly released (don't know how old the post is) is his BM14. It's described as a .308 mag fed M14 rifle that looks like a BM59.

Last edited by Eyeguy; January 09, 2018 at 17:34. Reason: Info added
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 17:33   #7
Tuhlmann
Sand In Your Shorts
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
I just received my JRA BM-59 last week and couldn’t be happier. Next purchase planned is a JRA/Bula M-14 para.

I don’t bother with these silly either/or arguments. I simply listen to the voice(s) in my head and get both if the decision is so tight as to invite debate. This strategy has worked well, and the voice(s) agree.

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 19:28   #8
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
As a Certified Member of the M-14 Cult, I must vote for the M-14 and the M-14 clones BUT the BM-59 was Mel Tappan's favorite. However this was back in the late 1970's/early 1980's, before the enormous flow of M-14, FAL and AR-10 clones.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 19:59   #9
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
If you have a question, both.
Personally the Marine Corps chose the M14 for me in the 60's and I am too dang old to change at this point.
Rgr on the JRA BM-59 being built on a cast receiver.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 20:03   #10
Ghost
Registered

Ultimately I would like to have both. My thinking is that the BM59 will become harder and more expensive to aquire later on, so get it before surplus parts dry up.
Then with the M14 the James river with quality forged receiver seems like a steal at current pricing, but probably wont appreciate, but then again it might.

Im a bit of a gear head so the extra gagetness of the BM59,tricomp,bipod, possibly an alpine stock later, all appeal to me.
On the other hand the M14 is classic americana.
Both fit my tendency toward cold war eara rifles.
Old January 09, 2018, 20:48   #11
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
I own an original Beretta BM62 and I have to say that while it is not my "go to", it is an extremely nice rifle, handy, well, balanced, dead stone reliable and as a bonus, very handsome. Mags are a bit pricey, but the only real negative that keeps it in the second string is the difficulty of mounting optics, which at this point I pretty much need.

I've had several M1As and I like the BM better. JMHO.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 22:12   #12
hansellhd
Registered

FALaholic #: 31152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
I just received my JRA BM-59 last week and couldn’t be happier. Next purchase planned is a JRA/Bula M-14 para.

I don’t bother with these silly either/or arguments. I simply listen to the voice(s) in my head and get both if the decision is so tight as to invite debate. This strategy has worked well, and the voice(s) agree.
+1

If you get one I guarantee you will want the other, I did.
Old January 09, 2018, 22:31   #13
BM59
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 77492
Well guess what is my preference....

Not surprisingly I have a Shuff’s BM14, a Shuff’s BM59, a JRA BM59 limited edition with Springfield forged receiver and last but not least a SA M1A scout. These are listed in order of personal preference, the BM14 being a masterpiece and very accurate.

I would love to get a JRA Bula M14, unfortunately receiver is marked “M14” which makes it a no-no where I currently live.
Old January 10, 2018, 11:40   #14
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
Never heard of Shuff before, but his Mini-G rifle is something I need.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/

A 16" barreled .308 Garand? Yes please! (Doubly so if it has the detachable magazine conversion!!)

Geez, and then the BM-14...

Gonna have to reconfigure my 'To Buy List'.
Old January 10, 2018, 13:30   #15
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM59 View Post
I would love to get a JRA Bula M14, unfortunately receiver is marked “M14” which makes it a no-no where I currently live.
How about getting the one which has removable rail? I *think* once they are off you can make it look like a M14/M1A.

And, for those complaining about the cast receiver in the JRA BM59, can I say Springfield?
Old January 10, 2018, 13:45   #16
Ghost
Registered

So what is the weight between the two?
I keep hearing the BM is lighter than the M14, but its got a bipod and the mags are beefier.
The M14 just screams Cold war America.

I think that to put the M16 and FAL into context you need an M14, but to put the M14 into context you need a BM59.

Last edited by Ghost; January 10, 2018 at 13:57.
Old January 10, 2018, 19:12   #17
BM59
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 77492
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
How about getting the one which has removable rail? I *think* once they are off you can make it look like a M14/M1A
I guess you refer to the JRA M21... Not seen new ones for sale and I do not believe they are in the price range of the Bula M14 (a steal at $1499 IMHO).
Old January 11, 2018, 14:48   #18
Ghost
Registered

So not yet having an M14 or BM59, Do you think the BM shoots softer because there is more length i. The receiver for the bolt to travel in and obsorb recoil? Or are M14 receivers the same length?
Old January 12, 2018, 06:30   #19
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
I guess you refer to the JRA M21... Not seen new ones for sale and I do not believe they are in the price range of the Bula M14 (a steal at $1499 IMHO).
In the m14 forums Bula had a sale on receivers, both by themselves and barreled.

Some (maybe humorous) list of features

M14
- Designed by an American company with a long tradition of firearms design. Pay no attention to about 10 years to get it working.
- As a result, it is an American rifle which some of you may have fielded. So emotional attachment
- Originally sold as a bit of a M1-plus, but a lot of things around receiver are shorter because receiver is shorter because shorter round.
- Used for around 10 years in its original M14 version. So, there is a limited supply of original GI parts.
- Like the AR15, there is an aftermarket support industry making everything from every single part to complete rifles. Yes, there are not as many companies doing parts as the AR and the price reflects that, but if you do not care about being all original you should be able to build/buy one for years to come.

Beretta BM59
- Designed by a young whippersnapper of a company with no tradition of firearms (specially compared to Springfield). Can I say cracked M9 slides?
- Italian company. Picture people wearing wifebeaters running around shouting at each other and waving their arms instead of getting anything done.
- Sold as a M1-plus, really. Start with one, modify receiver for magazine, maybe the bolt a bit, put a muzzle break that works well in full auto, add full auto, sometimes a very lightweight bipod, and done. And that was done in less time than a M14 needed to be operational and for less money.
- Short of the receivers (and barrels), there is really nobody making parts for it. So, once original parts are gone, they are gone. With that said, remember it is a M1 Garand Plus; short of a few Italian-designed parts you can get spares off a Garand catalog.
- Italians used them continuously up to at least the 80s, most of that time as their main rifles.

So ----
- If you are going for the historical angle, get moving on either as original parts will only keep going up in price.
- If you want a .308 semiauto shooter with some history that is not an AR (or a FAL), but want something you can beat without worrying you destroyed a piece of history, aftermarket M1A. I mean, take a look at the middle Bula receiver here:

You can go optics one day and irons the other.
- If you *have* to buy American, why are you at fallfiles?
- If you want all of them but is a bit short on money to get them all
1. Buy the BM59 parts kits since they are still cheap but one day will be gone.
2. Buy USGI M14 parts. They keep going up in price.
Steps 1 and 2 can still be done for about the price of a JRA M1A.
3. When you have enough parts for either of them, go to Shuffles and have him build you one. This step you can do whenever you feel like.
4. If you have money left, get a JRA buld.
Old January 12, 2018, 06:56   #20
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Quote:
Well guess what is my preference....

Not surprisingly I have a Shuff’s BM14, a Shuff’s BM59, a JRA BM59 limited edition with Springfield forged receiver and last but not least a SA M1A scout. These are listed in order of personal preference, the BM14 being a masterpiece and very accurate.

You could always get receivers from Bula that are not marked M14. I have a bunch I have built and more on the way.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 08:20   #21
AliYahu
Registered

Plenty of BM59 parts around, most are modified Garand parts.
I want to add to my earlier statement. I've had both GI-style M14 and BM59 variants. I much prefer the BM59-style, but a lot of that is because the BM59 'fells right' - like a Garand - and I believe the engineering is superior to the M14.
The M14 had the problem of being designed by a committee, and it's failures - notably the overly-long barrel and flash hider being damaged and inoperable, followed by bolt roller failures - are directly the result of 'committee' shortcomings.
The BM59 was designed to be re-manufactured from M1 Garand cores as economically as possible, while being effective as possible. It was superb at this; on the common ITAL version the receiver, bolt, trigger group, op rod, and stock are all stock or modified Garand pieces. The most common failures are throwing extractors (same as a Garand) and blowing out the grenade spindle valve - which I'd remedy by pressing in a pin and drilling it as I don't need to launch grenades!
The Italian Garand evolution was M1 --> 'Tipo 2' 7.62 M1 --> BM59

Mine:

That is a GI M14 sling

Further info:

BM59 facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BerettaBM59/

Eli
Old January 12, 2018, 09:41   #22
Ghost
Registered

I had looked at building up an M14 from parts in the past, the cost was always significantly higher than the JRA, at leasr to end up with a good one.
I think Im sold on the BM59, if I were to do a parts kit, where is the best place to currently get one?
Ive heard tell of Beretta M1 receivers around, is this still a thing?
Can real M1 receivers be had? Im almost thinking that if actual Garand receivers can't be had, the JRA seems like a good option.
Barrel options for the BM, what is the best?

EDIT, Any onedeal with Riverbank Armory? Are they good to go?

Last edited by Ghost; January 12, 2018 at 09:56.
Old January 12, 2018, 10:39   #23
AliYahu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I had looked at building up an M14 from parts in the past, the cost was always significantly higher than the JRA, at leasr to end up with a good one.
I think Im sold on the BM59, if I were to do a parts kit, where is the best place to currently get one?
Can real M1 receivers be had? Im almost thinking that if actual Garand receivers can't be had, the JRA seems like a good option.

Lots of M1 receivers on the CMP forum and gunbroker.
Parts kit: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1572160
Bula reportedly sells barrels - the same ones JRA uses - for $175
I had Shuff cut my M1 receiver to bm59 specs, he'll assemble it all for you as well if you don't have the tools (I did) for reasonable money: http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/mag-fed-garand/
Tim can also make your 'BM59' use M14 magazines, if you prefer!

I am not a fan of the JRA cast receiver, and won't own one. I was very optimistic when they were announced, but they aren't quite right. This letter came with their receivers when they were selling them, item #1 is incorrect (it does NOT make it a 'machine gun' in any way) and shows they didn't research this whole affair well and don't care to correct their errors - not to mention being out-of-spec and requiring hand-fitted parts!

Eli
Old January 12, 2018, 11:22   #24
Edgartwib
Registered

FALaholic #: 80246
+1 for the m14
Edgartwib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 12:35   #25
Womper
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1367
Quote:

I bought my Danish contract Beretta M1 receiver from Riverbank Armory. The receiver was beautiful and the service was excellent. I had Shuff’s modify the receiver to BM59 specs and his work is flawless.
Womper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 14:16   #26
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womper View Post
I bought my Danish contract Beretta M1 receiver from Riverbank Armory. The receiver was beautiful and the service was excellent. I had Shuff’s modify the receiver to BM59 specs and his work is flawless.
I also bought my Beretta receiver from George at Riverbank; it was in excellent condition. His site still shows receivers available from SA, Beretta and Breda. Last time I spoke with George his stock on Beretta and Breda receivers was running low.

Shuff's also did my receiver mod and build; the rifle shipped yesterday (WooHoo!) so will try to post pics when it comes in next week.
Old January 12, 2018, 14:28   #27
Ghost
Registered

Just ordered the Beretta receiver. Kit on order from Numrich
Im committed to the BM59 now. I think long term this is the way to go. I find it more interesting than the M14, and the M14 is an American classic that isnt going any where, After BM59 parts are gone no one else is going to produce them. Still plan on an M14 long term, but i think it will be more available later.

On the barrel, Bula, or original Beretta?
The Bula in the IV8888 vid shot very well.
[QUOTE=Eyeguy;4525007]I also bought my Beretta receiver from George at Riverbank; it was in excellent condition. His site still shows receivers available from SA, Beretta and Breda. Last time I spoke with George his stock on Beretta and Breda receivers was running low.

Shuff's also did my receiver mod and build; the rifle shipped yesterday (WooHoo!) so will try to post pics when it comes in next week.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Ghost; January 12, 2018 at 17:32.
Old January 12, 2018, 23:35   #28
olddominion
Registered

FALaholic #: 63474
Criterion barrel

Have Shuff modify your barrel. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1286620
olddominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 23:54   #29
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

^^^^ This ...
Old January 13, 2018, 00:26   #30
Ghost
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddominion View Post
Have Shuff modify your barrel. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1286620
Is this the recomended barrel? More likley to be accurate than the Bula? And better than using an original BM59 barrel.
Accuracy is important, but so Is an authentic appearance.
Oh and thanks for the advice, these are a little outside my knowledge base.
Old January 13, 2018, 00:32   #31
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Is this the recomended barrel? More likley to be accurate than the Bula? And better than using an original BM59 barrel.
GI contour Criterion barrel should be correct for the BM59 and considered a good option for your build.

Don't know if you can find a Beretta barrel; never looked. Others here may know; if not contact Tim Shufflin for more info or check his forum; Battle Tested.

No experience with Bula barrels for other than M14 where they perform well. Someone will likely come along shortly who've actually compared the two barrels but don't think you can go wrong with Criterion.
Old January 13, 2018, 00:45   #32
OLDMANPBK
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Thought you guys might want to see this ad I came across in a Canadian gun forum from 2013 for Beretta M1 Garand receivers.
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...eceivers-49-95

COBC #4
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 01:10   #33
Ghost
Registered

I have actually found the Beretta barrels, they are around the same price, as others. It would be good for "authenticity" , but I'd be wortied sbout getting a shot out or poorly mai tained one
Also guess I need to think about 922r

Last edited by Ghost; January 13, 2018 at 01:21.
Old January 13, 2018, 02:08   #34
Parga
Registered

FALaholic #: 70964
I've had M1As for years but have always had a soft spot for the BM59. Finally broke down in 2016 and built two of the E types by machining the receivers by taking measurements from a friend's BM62. The 59 mags while not cheaper(cheaper now though than ever before) are monsters compared to the M14 but both platforms have their good and bads. Really getting the itch to build another, redundancy isn't always a bad thing
Parga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 08:36   #35
olddominion
Registered

Beretta barrels

Quote:
I have actually found the Beretta barrels, they are around the same price, as others. It would be good for "authenticity" , but I'd be wortied sbout getting a shot out or poorly mai tained one
Also guess I need to think about 922r
Be careful looking for BM59 barrels. The only original barrels I have seen are BM59E barrels.
Old January 13, 2018, 08:46   #36
olddominion
Registered

Quote:
There is speculation that the Bula barrels are the same as the Sarco barrels.
Some of the Sarco barrels have gas ports that are oversized. Most believe Citidal made the barrels for Sarco. Better to be safe then sorry.
Good luck with your build.
Old January 13, 2018, 09:20   #37
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
Thought you guys might want to see this ad I came across in a Canadian gun forum from 2013 for Beretta M1 Garand receivers.
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...eceivers-49-95
Now you're just trying to make a guy feel bad. Oh well....
Old January 13, 2018, 10:06   #38
Ghost
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
No kidding.
Old January 13, 2018, 10:14   #39
Ghost
Registered

So I need to look at modding a .308 M1 barrel.
Criterion at the top of the list?

Standard parts has a stripper clip guide. Has any one added, or had one added to their Garand receiver?
Old January 13, 2018, 13:38   #40
OLDMANPBK
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, it breaks my heart too. I'm going to turn this mess into a rifle and I have yet to buy a barrel and receiver.

COBC #4
Old January 13, 2018, 23:46   #41
olddominion
Registered

Quote:
So I need to look at modding a .308 M1 barrel.
Criterion at the top of the list?

Standard parts has a stripper clip guide. Has any one added, or had one added to their Garand receiver?
Tim Shufflin can answer all of your questions. I used a Criterian barrel modified by Shuff on my BM59 ITAL and it shoots like a dream. Check out his site Battle Tested for anything BM59. Tim will also install stripper clip guide. Cheers!
Old January 14, 2018, 00:35   #42
Ghost
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddominion View Post
Tim Shufflin can answer all of your questions. I used a Criterian barrel modified by Shuff on my BM59 ITAL and it shoots like a dream. Check out his site Battle Tested for anything BM59. Tim will also install stripper clip guide. Cheers!
Thanks, I actually bought the Criterian barrel earlier today!
I found the stripper clip guides and was about to send an email off to Shuff about installing one.
What are guys doing about 922r on these?
Old January 14, 2018, 10:13   #43
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
http://forum.shuffsparkerizing.com/s...USC-922R/page2
rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018, 10:22   #44
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

I think a lot of parts were from Garands to begin with. For instance I have seen a Beretta-marked Springfield bolt.
Old January 14, 2018, 11:21   #45
AliYahu
Registered

Quote:
What are guys doing about 922r on these?
922r isn't really an issue, chances are almost everything in your parts kit that counts is of American origin - and there is the question of 'sporting purposes' in the first place. How can the question of legality be subjective in America?!?!?

Remember, the limit is ten, applicable parts are bold:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

The Tri-Comp and magazine parts are exclusively Italian, every other part can be of American origin.

Eli
Old Yesterday, 19:06   #46
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Another one comes home

Just came back from Shuffs today.

This pic has mag and liquor but it's too damn cold for bare toes. Should warm up by this weekend and I'll get pics in good light. I refinished the stock; like the natural walnut color with the dark park.

Old Yesterday, 19:11   #47
OLDMANPBK
Silver Contributor

Man, that looks nice. Great job on the stock.

COBC #4
Old Yesterday, 19:57   #48
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I've never cared for the M14, but the BM series always looked pretty cool.
Old Yesterday, 21:00   #49
Ghost
Registered

That is a fine looking rifle.
Did yoj just send in the action? Or Did you send the whole thing.
How bad was the stock?
I should get my kit on Monday.
Im a bit nervous to see the confition of the kit.

Quote:
Just came back from Shuffs today.

This pic has mag and liquor but it's too damn cold for bare toes. Should warm up by this weekend and I'll get pics in good light. I refinished the stock; like the natural walnut color with the dark park.

Last edited by Ghost; Yesterday at 21:08.
Old Today, 00:10   #50
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
That is a fine looking rifle.
Did yoj just send in the action? Or Did you send the whole thing.
How bad was the stock?
I should get my kit on Monday.
Im a bit nervous to see the confition of the kit.

Tim test fires his builds so sent all parts with receiver.

Stock had ugly brown paint that I stripped. Scraping, steaming, a half dozen hand rubbed coats of tung oil taken down to no gloss with 0000 steel wool and wa la! Finished product.

Last edited by Eyeguy; Today at 00:15.