The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Concealed Carry & Personal Defense

Notices

Old December 26, 2017, 18:46   #1
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
The Drawbacks of Open Carry

equally subtitled "Tales from Fayette-nam".

Quote:
An incident involving a stolen gun caused a commotion at Walmart on Skibo Road on Thursday afternoon.
About 3 p.m., Fayetteville police spokeswoman Asia Cannon said, inaccurate information based on radio scanner traffic began circulating about a shooting at the Walmart. Officers arrived and discovered that a man had grabbed a gun off another man who was open-carrying the weapon. The man who grabbed the gun then ran off.
During the incident, someone yelled out in the business about a gun, and a commotion broke out. Cannon said one Walmart employee was treated by emergency personnel for an asthma attack. No one else was injured.
http://www.fayobserver.com/news/2017...t-causes-panic
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 20:20   #2
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Unless you are meeting some hombre at high noon I see little upside to open carry!

You can run through many scenarios but simply buying groceries in a supermarket line you could easily become crowded, overwhelmed and disarmed in moments.

YMMV

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 22:47   #3
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxas View Post
Unless you are meeting some hombre at high noon I see little upside to open carry!

You can run through many scenarios but simply buying groceries in a supermarket line you could easily become crowded, overwhelmed and disarmed in moments.

YMMV
I have to agree.

All the emotional open carry rights arguments aside....

I prefer to be the Wolf in sheeps clothing, as opposed to the Wolf walking around with his dick hanging out..
Old December 27, 2017, 10:00   #4
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
Stealth is a valuable asset.

Why advertise and make yourself a target for attention or worse...
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 10:48   #5
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
Dual and triple retention duty-grade holsters come to mind. If the weapon is secure and the carrier has had any amount of weapons retention training I don't see a problem.

But of course, how many will go to those lengths?
Old December 27, 2017, 19:28   #6
Story
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Walther View Post
Wal-Mart.
Old December 28, 2017, 03:41   #7
Wolf1952
Registered

FALaholic #: 61846
Ive been OCing sense 1975 when I put on the badge. I took off the badge in 1986 but I keep on OCing. So Ive been OCing for how long now? I OC everywhere except where I cant. But I do watch, look and am very a wear of my surroundings. Usually my right arm is resting on my sidearm, you ant getting it without a fight.

Wolf
Old December 28, 2017, 08:37   #8
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Quote:
Dual and triple retention duty-grade holsters come to mind. If the weapon is secure and the carrier has had any amount of weapons retention training I don't see a problem.

Even if you're retention is correct you still look like a jackass
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 11:41   #9
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
The only advantage of having 'open carry' is when a 'concealed carry' handgun becomes accidentally visible which is considered a violation in some areas. Other than that 'open carry' is a fight hardly worth fighting.
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 12:01   #10
Herr Walther
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Wal-Mart.
Huh?
Old December 28, 2017, 19:16   #11
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Dang, Wolf, what are you hauling around there? It looks like a '58 Remington clone....
Nice hip rig there, store bought, or custom made?
Old December 28, 2017, 20:06   #12
Wolf1952
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
Dang, Wolf, what are you hauling around there? It looks like a '58 Remington clone....
Nice hip rig there, store bought, or custom made?

In the picture Im carrying a 1861 NAVY / Richards Transition Model, Type II .38 Special, with a 8" Barrel. The 1961 NAVY was 36 Cal cap and ball pistol. The Type II is conversion from cap and ball to 38 long colt / 38 special. The leather is store bought, but it is hand made special order.

My every day OC is a SAR K2-45 which is a 14 +1 double stack 45acp which is a CZ 97 clone that uses the Sig barrel lockup. The leather for it is all custom hand made.

Wolf
Old December 29, 2017, 09:02   #13
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Very nice rig. You can't beat a Navy Colt conversion. Being able to shoot factory .38s out of them is nice.

I did the same with a 58 Rem, but used a conversion cylinder for 45LC. Turns a cool conversation piece into a very nice pistol with the nicest trigger I've ever had on an old wheelgun. Not real useful in a modern world, but still quite utilitarian.
It's my choice over the 72 open top conversion Army every day.

I'm blessed to have a saddle maker as a good friend, and he made me a very nice Mexican cross draw rig for the Rem....
Old December 29, 2017, 15:18   #14
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
I primarily observe two types of persons who open carry...

1. The person with little pecker syndrome.

2. The person who looks like he couldn't get a carry and conceal permit if he
wanted one.

Both types seem to get some type of passive aggressive satisfaction out of making others uncomfortable.

I have a couple friends who open carry from time to time, mostly out of convenience ("work" related). I've called them douchebags in passing (jokingly... ish). I know that they are not either of the above, and I'm content that a civilian in passing wouldn't as well.

As a pro-firearm person, who is also required to carry concealed off duty, I strongly feel that the open carry types cause more harm than good as they attract negative attention, while making themselves a target for many segments of our society. I don't want the above types anywhere near myself or my family.

If a person wants to carry, take the appropriate measures to obtain a carry and conceal license. If you live in a state that does not allow one, well... move. That is a right that nobody can take from you.

Last edited by lockjaw; December 29, 2017 at 15:25.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 20:02   #15
Wolf1952
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
I primarily observe two types of persons who open carry...

1. The person with little pecker syndrome.

2. The person who looks like he couldn't get a carry and conceal permit if he
wanted one.

Both types seem to get some type of passive aggressive satisfaction out of making others uncomfortable.

I have a couple friends who open carry from time to time, mostly out of convenience ("work" related). I've called them douchebags in passing (jokingly... ish). I know that they are not either of the above, and I'm content that a civilian in passing wouldn't as well.

As a pro-firearm person, who is also required to carry concealed off duty, I strongly feel that the open carry types cause more harm than good as they attract negative attention, while making themselves a target for many segments of our society. I don't want the above types anywhere near myself or my family.

If a person wants to carry, take the appropriate measures to obtain a carry and conceal license. If you live in a state that does not allow one, well... move. That is a right that nobody can take from you.

Your welcome to try and measure my pecker if youd like. Most people dont even notice that I am carrying. And for the most part when they do, the most questions I get are, are you a bounty hunter and my reply is, is there a bounty on you, if so Ill be happy to collect.

The main thing is I dont like having to ask for permission to do something.
Open Carry has been legal in Louisiana sense 1878.
Old December 30, 2017, 13:42   #16
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I see douche bags OC around here frequently. And it's always the same guy, ball cap wearing read neck types with soiled, well, everything, a dirty bandana under their hat, a two week "I can't grow a bear but I'm trying" types who make me cringe at the thought they are representing law abiding, hard working, non-douche bags. These guys are the ones the sheep see, not the clean cut, well dressed, respectful guy or gal who has their pistol behind their belt of in their purse.
I have to remind myself that America is made of all types and simply ignore them, knowing they will be the first ones shot in an event of any sort either by the bad guy or later, the police.
I used to see the same dude in the last town that I lived in. By coincidence, I ended up right behind him twice in the check-out line at the local grocery store, during the same week. Both times he wore the same black wife beater tucked in his jeans, sloppy fat rolls hanging over his belt, chicken arms with "jail house" tats, pony tail, facial stubble, wearing sunglasses inside, and prominently displayed an M&P holstered on his hip.

The guy was a total prick to the girl running the register. The guy rubbed me wrong and made my blood boil..... I later learned he was a popular figure on a local "Cop Block" Facebook page and one of the "sovereign citizen" nutjobs. He was eventually arrested for showing up in a government office somewhere and was arrested, trying to make some kind of stupid theatrical statement for his Facebook followers.

Then there is another dude, a fat little round 5 foot tall, while drives a lifted F-250 extended cab, with Marine, veteran, Sniper, blah blah blah .... decals slapped all over the rear window, tail gate, and bumper. He carries a 1911 on his hip. He had a carry and conceal license, but he chose to open carry anyway. He is a massive prick as well, he didn't believe that he needed to use a turn signal or seat belt. He was very quick to point out that he was a veteran and disabled, apparently the decals all over his truck didn't give it away. Local court thought otherwise. Ha ha.
Old December 30, 2017, 14:40   #17
Herr Walther
Registered

Illegal in Illinois so I don't see any OC here.
Old December 30, 2017, 16:07   #18
Story
Registered

Quote:
Huh?
I'll answer your question with a rhetorical question of my own - Where did the incident in question happen?
Old December 31, 2017, 21:12   #19
Thundermaker
Registered

FALaholic #: 72520
Quote:
Originally Posted by D P Six View Post
The only advantage of having 'open carry' is when a 'concealed carry' handgun becomes accidentally visible which is considered a violation in some areas. Other than that 'open carry' is a fight hardly worth fighting.

And yet that is such an important advantage that it makes the fight worth fighting.
Thundermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 15:34   #20
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
I hold my ten foot pole between me and this thread.
Old January 03, 2018, 13:48   #21
BamaFal
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5018
With two years street experience I attended a weapons retention class with 10 officers. As a test scenario to start the class, we were dispatched to "sears" to get an unhappy customer to remove himself from the front door as he was creating a disturbance - things have changed some over the last 30 years!

We each took turns being the dispatched officer and then the unhappy customer. Of the 22 tests, 21 of the officers lost their weapon.

Street experience of the 11 officers varied from 2 to 15 years. Quite a bit of retrospection/discussion took place.

My opinion based on my experience from that class and career is that open carry is for those that have weapons retention training. Otherwise, stealth is your friend.

NRA Life Member
BamaFal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 06:37   #22
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFal View Post
With two years street experience I attended a weapons retention class with 10 officers. As a test scenario to start the class, we were dispatched to "sears" to get an unhappy customer to remove himself from the front door as he was creating a disturbance - things have changed some over the last 30 years!

We each took turns being the dispatched officer and then the unhappy customer. Of the 22 tests, 21 of the officers lost their weapon.

Street experience of the 11 officers varied from 2 to 15 years. Quite a bit of retrospection/discussion took place.

My opinion based on my experience from that class and career is that open carry is for those that have weapons retention training. Otherwise, stealth is your friend.
Right on. Our agency conducts weapons retention training (and vice-versa) annually. Our issued holsters have a retention safety that must be tripped before unholstered... which is PIA, but with additional training, it is manageable.

Criminals train. Criminals may also have more tangible street experience than most person tangible training experience. Outside of uniform, stealth is king. The wolf isn't going to show you his cards, why would you show him yours?
Old January 13, 2018, 20:11   #23
Thundermaker
Registered

FALaholic #: 72520
Some of you guys need to stop watching so many movies.
Thundermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 22:30   #24
longhair51
Constitutional curmudgeon
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5884
I prefer to not bring attention to myself, armed or unarmed. It's concealed carry for me.

if the federal government treats the American public with this degree of contempt when were armed to the teeth, imagine how they would treat us if they had all our guns."
longhair51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018, 17:44   #25
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
How could I walk into someplace with a 'No firearms" sign open carrying? *laugh*
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018, 18:38   #26
fry
Registered

FALaholic #: 5498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxas View Post

YMMV
what he said.
element of surprise over draw time. I never fancied myself any kind of pistol arrow and I would always rather be concealed. thinking about changing my user name to "pistol arrow". said the guy with a 38 revolver in his pocket.

....o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|lL-O|||||O_
()_)()_) )_)
fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 10:16   #27
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
sometimes i carry an I frame S&W 1903 type32 long with bobbed hammer in my pocket. it makes me glad to see you, and i call it my "magnum".

open carry with shoulder holster is OK in my book. that, or a retention holster. either way concealed is an advantage.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesnt appeal to you, youre a frikkin' pansy. Also, youre probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018, 19:36   #28
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Quote:
Originally Posted by fry View Post
thinking about changing my user name to "pistol arrow".
Hey, I resemble that remark.

"pistol arrow" = Pistolero
Old February 28, 2018, 10:22   #29
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I carry open almost every day but have an oversize shirt can pull on and hide the gun except to people that notice such things. Between wearing light armor daily (if you need a gun, don't you need armor or are you really that much better than the guy who sticks a Glock against your spine from behind) and a shirt to cover the armor it gets warm doing manual labor but my job has me on side of the road half the week doing field work and in my building other half except for going to pick up supplies or stop at grocery store/pharmacy on way home.

At LGS workers will occasionally slip up and take a stab at getting another's gun for grins if paying attention to computer or gunsmith in task. Stunned them when two of the worst purpetrators of shenanigans and practical jokes make a play for mine and the Level 3 dual lock holster combined with always trying to keep elbow over gun butt allows me plenty of time to pivot on gun hand and have hand on pistol with first lock actuated and finger on second and they are under a second from a speed rock.

Work I always carry a SIG in 40 Smith using a SIG or Blackhawk Level 3 retention holster and three spare mags on weak side. For dress carry a 1911 in either a Bianchi thumb break rig or Galco Shoulder rig and often both. When carry concealed always try to have a level 1 retention holster.

One of my Level 1 retention holsters for 1911:

Mag carrier comes off as adds time to draw as muzzle has to clear top of mag before begin bringing muzzle up toward target:

Level 3 SIG retention holster note side lock:

Thumb Lock on same SIG holster:

I practice drawing from this rig at least five days a week for a dozen cycles plus a couple of live fire, draw double tap, re-holster and repeat. Only adds a half second from surrender position to first round over a traditional holster with lots of practice. Thumb bumps release as hand meets butt of pistol and trigger finger depresses side lock before hand is totally wrapped around butt. If not positioned on shooter it's almost impossible for someone else to operate both locks even if know how the work if carrier starts pivot quickly.

A few 1911's in Bianchi thumb break rigs:

Believe it or not wear two to three 1911's when herding sheep at church:

With the three pistols above level 3a armor plus Dyneema multi-threat plates with a tailored sport coat very few realize am even carrying, much less a rebuilt IPSC pistol with tritium front sight and trigger pull raised to 3.25 pounds.

My older sheep herding setup, still use for lower profile events:

Super low profile Safariland mag carriers:

Briefcase carry, great for doctor visits as level 3a armored with special threat plates, close at hand and can get through scans or exams without major flags if nervous practice:

Some of the contents not counting lots of spare mags in velcro pouch.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2018, 14:25   #30
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
I believe you were the one who carries a Sash..or badge or whatever that announces you are a "armed citizen". That stuff cracks me up

Nope... concealed for me