The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old January 28, 2017, 07:50   #1
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Early Spring prep on scoped bolt actions.

Started early season clean up and preparation of a few of my scoped bolt actions this morning. Nice to re-acquaint myself with these after letting them sleep for a time.

First photo is a couple of Winchester model 70 sporter varmints dressed with Leupold VariX III scopes with target dot reticles in 6.5 - 20. Top rifle is in .223 and lower is .308.

http://

Second is a couple of my Savage rifles. Top is model 110 in .223 topped with the Leupold VariX III 6.5 - 20 with target dot reticle.
Next is my 110 FTP long action .308 topped with Leupold Mk4 LRT 8.5 - 25.

Third photo has Savage 112 vfss in .223 with Leupold variX III in 8.5 - 25 on top. Next, in the middle is an FN SPR in .308 with Leupold MK4 LRT 8.5 - 25 in a McMillan stock. On the bottom is a Rem. 700 P in .308 sporting a Leupold MK4 LRT 8.5 - 25 with lighted reticle sitting in a Bell and Carlson stock.

[/URL]

I will add more as they come out of hibernation.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by ArtBanks; January 28, 2017 at 08:27.
ArtBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 08:21   #2
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Good-looking rigs, I should do the same with a few of mine.
Old January 29, 2017, 00:46   #3
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Good ones Art.

Looks like you will spend some time on those getting used to them again.

My favorites are getting some range time and improvements, Ishy gets a trigger and the proper extractor as Numrich sent the .303 in place of the .308, and the Remington Bdl 7mm Mag gets a VariXIII as the express sights no longer work with Old eye's To the degree needed.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017, 01:30   #4
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Been toying with my .300Win again (in prep for heading to New Zealand next month) over the last few months. I have not loaded for it since the early 90s but after some tinkering got to a nice load that shoots under 1/2MOA from the bench. It is a sporter weight rifle so I can live with that. I got it as a 14yo in 1983 so I have quite familiar with it by now... Just need to chrono the loads so I can get my zero and rudimentary range card before I board the big tin bird in almost 4 weeks exactly...
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 19:53   #5
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Those are some efficient looking shooting irons you got there brother.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 05:50   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have two Leupold 6-18x VX 2's with target dot reticle on way back for a reticle swap. Have gotten to point if there is a lot of dark brush or anything that doesn't give good contrast in scope picture totally lose the crosshairs. When lose them, finding the dot is difficult. At the range on paper they are great but real world have had to delay shots to try and pick up the center of scope. Going to either put custom BDC reticles in them specific to rifles and load plan to use. Nice looking rifles, if find yourself in Georgia can put you on all the varmints you want to shoot.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 06:43   #7
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Have two Leupold 6-18x VX 2's with target dot reticle on way back for a reticle swap. Have gotten to point if there is a lot of dark brush or anything that doesn't give good contrast in scope picture totally lose the crosshairs. When lose them, finding the dot is difficult. At the range on paper they are great but real world have had to delay shots to try and pick up the center of scope. Going to either put custom BDC reticles in them specific to rifles and load plan to use. Nice looking rifles, if find yourself in Georgia can put you on all the varmints you want to shoot.
Could not agree more. The target dot reticle serves a specific purpose on the range. Not for hunting at all. There is a tool for everything.
Old February 16, 2017, 07:11   #8
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Two friends own those little FN SPR's and love them.
Compact, stout packages with great barrels and triggers.
They always mention how inexpensive they were when first imported and to me, seemed like an excellent value.
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 08:52   #9
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
They always mention how inexpensive they were when first imported and to me, seemed like an excellent value.
They are excellent relatively inexpensive rifles. The only mod I have made to mine was the removable box mag. They are great shooters and I like the idea of the fluted chrome lined barrel.
Old February 17, 2017, 12:42   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Could not agree more. The target dot reticle serves a specific purpose on the range. Not for hunting at all. There is a tool for everything.
One reason try to buy Loopy as much as can is the knowledge that most scopes are m only $50 and ten days away from a different standard reticle. Purchase lot of Horus scopes of cheap or broken and really cheap as like their range finding and wind doping layout. Send both scopes in and Loopy comes back with complete service done as swapped reticle. First time was suprised to get donor Horus back with the Leupold reticle from scope installed and used as a fine scope on a mid grade AR 15. One broken Horus came back with Leupold reticle and repaired at no charge. Letter said was a very easy fix, so did under "warranty" program. How many companies would warranty another makers scope?
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 10:30   #11
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Inported? It is my understanding these gave been US sourced 100%, first in CT at original Winchester location and then SC after the move.

Art, does that Win .223 in first photo have a CRF bolt?
Fn/form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 12:44   #12
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fn/form View Post
Inported? It is my understanding these gave been US sourced 100%, first in CT at original Winchester location and then SC after the move.

Art, does that Win .223 in first photo have a CRF bolt?
If I knew what a CRF bolt was, I would try to give you and answer.
Old March 19, 2017, 13:55   #13
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
If I knew what a CRF bolt was, I would try to give you and answer.
Controlled Round Feed like the pre-64, SPR and some of the new 70 models. I tried looking for a CRF .223 70, never found one or verified it even existed.
Fn/form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 05:19   #14
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fn/form View Post
Controlled Round Feed like the pre-64, SPR and some of the new 70 models. I tried looking for a CRF .223 70, never found one or verified it even existed.
Next time I have it out, I will check it against a pre-64. I never really paid attention that closely.
Art