Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 15, 2017, 13:49   #1
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Gander Mountain said to be Preparing to File for Bankruptcy

Gander Mountain said to be Preparing to File for Bankruptcy

Hunting and fishing chain Gander Mountain Co. is preparing to file for bankruptcy as early as this month, after an aggressive effort to expand its store base failed to pull in new customers, according to people familiar with the matter. Gander Mountain is working with financial advisory firm Lighthouse Management Group Inc. and law firm Fredrikson & Byron PA as it gets ready to file for bankruptcy, the sources said.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...23e87f92a.html
Old February 15, 2017, 15:48   #2
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
David Pratt is a piece of work.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 17:03   #3
T.C.
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72745
Should be called Gouger Mountain. Cool store but their prices are too high. I'll be happy to stop by and purchase on the cheap if they 'liquidate' their inventory.
T.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 17:26   #4
JAB75
Safety Nazi
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 12107
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
Should be called Gouger Mountain. Cool store but their prices are too high. I'll be happy to stop by and purchase on the cheap if they 'liquidate' their inventory.
Exactly! Their website advertised that any firearms listed could be transferred to any one of their brick and mortar stores at that price. I went into a local GM to look at one in stock and the price was $150+ more than the one listed on their website. I pulled up the listing for the counter clerk and inquired about transferring one in at that price. No deal. They refused to honor their advertised pledge, and were very rude in telling me that it wasn't going to happen.

-JAB75
Or on the trigger of your gun?
JAB75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 18:00   #5
EPC WN
Ka-BOOM!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 65612
All brick and mortar stores are doomed. The shitty ones will go first. When's Dick's Sporting going under? Geez, that place is just as ridiculous as Gander Mountain.
Old February 15, 2017, 19:28   #6
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Good riddance. Bastards.
Doesn't surprise me, really. Last week a fellow employee wanted to visit a GM to look at some pistols and wanted me to tag along. We arrived around 7pm and the place was deserted, not a car in the parking lot, not a customer in the store until we walked in.
I've loved to hate the company for going on four years. Fk'em.
Old February 15, 2017, 20:11   #7
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
I've found some really good deals there "on sale".
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 21:37   #8
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
When I was looking to move out of NY I ended up In Winchester VA as a Look around ,,stopped at the Employment center and OMG a Perfect Job for me=>
Firearms Manager at Gander-- I get the info and go to the store as I have run an FFL for years along with my Management experience..
The Lady at the counter hands me a Paper application use this and bring it in tomorrow [bypass the computer crap] and I head Back to the Motel and fill it out --Wife writes up a Nice resume and I line up references !
This is a shoe in !!

Get an Interview 2 days later [stayed extra time for it] and went in went through all the Usual Bull poop and last thing the guy says to me is -WE HAVE TO OFFER THIS JOB INTERNALLY FIRST before accepting someone from the outside !! WTF-- Total Waste Of My time !! Of Coarse I never heard a word back !!

They have a Gun show at a center next door and Blatantly situated in GM drive is a sign NO PARKING FOR GUN SHOW ! OK How about letting people park on the off chance after the gun show they might stop and visit your store as YOUR HUGE PARKING LOT IS MOSTLY EMPTY !!

Perchance a friendly sign -Parking for gun show Graciously allowed -Please stop and check our selection of over 200 guns in stock ! Thank you!
randy762ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 21:40   #9
Tuhlmann
Sand In Your Shorts
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Wonder if hook and bullet stores will ever figure it out. I remember making an annual pilgrimage to the Gander Mountain store in south eastern WI as a kid. It was a couple of hours away, which to my Dad may as well been all by covered wagon. It was like a paradise to my young eyes, but this was back in the mail order days so to actually see the catalog items I'd been fawning over for months prior was oretty exotic to me. Gander Mountain was the best I could hope for because the only Cabela's was the one in Nebraska, and that was never gonna happen before adulthood for me.

Now I share in y'alls resentment of GM, and I feel it for Cabela's too. I wouldn't even take a dump in a BPS. Over the years I've seen the transition from dedicated hunting/fishing outfits to including the "non-consumptive" outdoor activities (hiking/paddling/mountain biking, etc...) to becoming primarily a woman's clothing store with a bunch of gay-ass tacky "cabin" themed housewares. But wait, they still have grossly overpriced firearms and tons of Fuddwear. Great.

It's fuggin' sad, but they've done it to themselves. Problem is it makes it difficult for for outdoorsmen that look for something better than just a camo'd up Wal-Mart with respect to a quality shopping experience. More Chinese shit. I won't miss them.

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 23:08   #10
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
The City of Wichita paid them $7 million to get them in the downtown area.

Money well wasted...........
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 04:45   #11
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Our local Gander Mountain store should go asap. It has routinely listed used guns for higher than the already too highly priced new guns of the same model. At first I thought maybe that means they'd be willing to deal on a better price on used, but no, I got a rude response from a sales clerk that if I didn't like the prices I should look elsewhere.....so I do.

Cabela's and BPS are not much better if at all. Every time I visit either of those stores I ask myself upon leaving "what the hell did I even walk in the door for?"

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 10:05   #12
Pluribus
Average White Devil
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbat60 View Post
The City of Wichita paid them $7 million to get them in the downtown area.

Money well wasted...........
That was Mayor Carl Brewers Obama impersonation. Just trying to make the crackers happily distracted while he was appropriating and approving a pile of money and industrial revenue bonds for his undeserving buddies.

Couldn't get enough peeps to speak out against the guy cause, that's racist. I think it's funny/ironic that Boeing left town because with them gone he didn't have an equally worthless and undeserving job to go back to.

Were it not for ignorance, thus we would remain.

Never hate your enemy, it only clouds your judgment.
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 22:33   #13
2barearms
Black Rifles Matter
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Way too much apparel, looks more like a redneck Macy's.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 23:07   #14
M829A3
Registered

FALaholic #: 10377
LOL, they just opened a store in Warrington PA in January. Last years Sports Authority opened a Store in Abington in January.
Old February 16, 2017, 23:21   #15
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
....I remember making an annual pilgrimage to the Gander Mountain store in south eastern WI as a kid. It was a couple of hours away, which to my Dad may as well been all by covered wagon. It was like a paradise to my young eyes, but this was back in the mail order days so to actually see the catalog items I'd been fawning over for months prior was oretty exotic to me. ...........
ahhh, memories, reminds me of my trips with my dad to the Herter's store in Waseca, MN. About 45 minutes from our home, but wow, was that special. The only real sporting goods store in my neck of the woods. Pretty cool as Herter's was primarily a mail order outfit. But at the store they carried everything from snowmobiles to duck decoys to wine making kits. They had it all. I must have been 6 or 8 so 1968 or 1970 I guess. I still remember they had a full sized standing polar bear mount. Pretty intimidating to a 6 year old kid.

Back on topic, yeah I hate GM too. A camouflage Walmart is the perfect analogy.

Old February 17, 2017, 08:18   #16
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
Our Gander Mountain wasn't bad, but it went downhill once they stopped selling live bait. It was nice to go there and pickup a safe when I needed one asap. They just opened a Cabelas nearby which makes Gander Mountain prices look like a bargain.
Old February 17, 2017, 19:14   #17
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Just checked ours a couple hours ago, everything normal.

Talked to one of their sales guys, he said he had heard of it, but nothing came down the pipe yet.

Other than the regular sales I didn't see anything new.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017, 10:47   #18
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Just walked out of the local GM. Asked point blank, yes, filing but not going out of business.
Ok.
Writing is on the wall.
F%k'em.
Old February 18, 2017, 13:27   #19
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I've bought a couple of pistols from Academy. They are priced pretty much in line with internet shops. I have walked into these big stores and walked out empty handed so much that I don't give them a second thought.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017, 16:38   #20
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 65886
A long time ago, what is Gander Mountain now was part of the Holiday gas station chain. They had a big warehouse store in the south metro area of the twin Cities. It was huge and filled with great stuff. It was in a building that had been a big grocery store. It was always a mess with stuff piled everywhere. Prices were great. It was always packed.

Last time I went to GM I stood at the gun counter for 20 minutes. There were one or two other people milling about, and about the same number of employees. It was elegantly outfitted and tidy. Nobody said a word to me. This had happened before. So I left.

Sportsmans Guide just updated their warehouse store. I hope they don't go GM on me.
STG_58_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017, 17:03   #21
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Houston... When GM came in I was hoping they would bring something I couldn't get elsewhere, or at least at better price points; failed miserably at both.

They converted a couple of the stores here to their (supposed) gun superstores or whatever the hell they are calling them. What they worked out to be was a great selection of all kinds of guns, but at prices that didn't make it worth the trouble of buying there. Their "used gun" sections were at prices above what I could get new ones online. WTF??? So in the end they offered much better gun selection than our local chain, Academy, but at prices that made no sense to pay. That's really the only thing they have over Academy. Hell the ONLY time I was ever actually excited in the place was when I went in to kill time on lunch and they were putting sale 22WMR on the shelves, the CCI 200 "Choot em" packs, for like $50. This was during the worst of the rimfire drought. Beyond that they've never done much for me. So much potential, so much wasted.

There's a reason the Wallyworld business model has worked. They better figure that out and fast, or they will soon become a "hey what was the name of that place?"
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017, 17:48   #22
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG_58_guy View Post
Last time I went to GM I stood at the gun counter for 20 minutes. There were one or two other people milling about, and about the same number of employees.
This has been my experience every time I've went into a GM in the last four years.
Old February 22, 2017, 18:50   #23
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Just walked out of the local GM. Asked point blank, yes, filing but not going out of business.

Until a judge says they are going away. If you have any GM gift cards, you had better get them spent ASAP.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017, 19:54   #24
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
I spent alot of $$$ @ GM 20+ years ago. Got many, many good deals on optics and Contender barrels. I quite buying when they quite sending their catalogs..always great CS. Sorry to hear that all changed.
Old February 22, 2017, 21:18   #25
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbug View Post
Until a judge says they are going away. If you have any GM gift cards, you had better get them spent ASAP.
Good advice. I was also wondering about all those extended service contracts they peddle with gun sales, too. Gun breaks? GM service contract? Tough shit.
Old March 10, 2017, 23:11   #26
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

Preparing no more... just announced on the local news they have filed and will be closing 3 stores in the Houston area.
Old March 11, 2017, 00:31   #27
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Do you know which ones?
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017, 09:44   #28
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

Its an interesting paradox that we have a free gun market and sporting goods stores are closing or consolidating. Its a buyers market.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017, 09:55   #29
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Do you know which ones?
Saw 290, Westheimer, one south somewhere. Looks like Spring is sticking around.

http://www.click2houston.com/consume...ed-for-closing

Last edited by jhend170; March 11, 2017 at 10:26.