The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 17, 2017, 14:20   #1
gordonm1
Registered

FALaholic #: 11572
Broken Clothes Washer

My washer is not spinning on the spin cycle and when the pump is emptying the water it seems there is new louder buzzing. I will be trying to fix this myself.

What's broken?

How do you fix it?

I seem to remember many repairs require removing the top of the washer.
Will this repair require removing the top?

I think there is a pin on the rotating center piece that I bought to replace a long time ago.
gordonm1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 14:28   #2
MordeanGrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 457
Search for your brand/model on YouTube. It's amazing what is posted there.

Here's a general video with some ideas.

MordeanGrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 14:33   #3
Pluribus
Average White Devil
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5600
Yup. I've fixed a number of household appliances from a youtube video. Google the shat out of it. click, click, click, click, click, click. it's awesome.

Were it not for ignorance, thus we would remain.

Never hate your enemy, it only clouds your judgment.
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 14:49   #4
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
I finally had to scrap the ole 75 Maytag she done locked up on me. Went out and bought one of those new fangled HE washers and I'm not sure if I like it. I'm still trying to figure it out, but so far if I have some real dirty cloths it doesn't do a very good job. But yes YouTube has a raft of stuff on there I went there when I had to work on the dryer.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 14:50   #5
gordonm1
Registered

[QUOTE=MordeanGrey;4375356]Search for your brand/model on YouTube. It's amazing what is posted there.

Here's a general video with some ideas.

Thanks Mordean,

That looks like the parts I bought several years ago thinking it was going to break soon.
Old February 17, 2017, 14:58   #6
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
The HE washers SUCK!

I wash everything on "deep water" cycle which is is anything but deep. More like "some water" versus "almost no water."

If I had known it was going to be like this, I would have spent the money for replacing the control panel on the old machine.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 15:20   #7
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I always had nothing but trouble with kitchen type appliances and finally got rid of them entirely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3490.JPG (26.4 KB, 43 views)

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 15:42   #8
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
The HE washers SUCK!

I wash everything on "deep water" cycle which is is anything but deep. More like "some water" versus "almost no water."

If I had known it was going to be like this, I would have spent the money for replacing the control panel on the old machine.
Yep. Just replaced a Kenmore set that was 20+ years old with a new Amana HE washer and dryer. There's no agitator. It takes over an hour to wash the clothes and another hour to dry them. I can put max water in, like you say, gets it half full. The only consolation is that I bought the biggest set they had (6 cubic foot washer) so I can do in one load what used to take three.

I'm sure it'll last me 20 years too.
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 16:49   #9
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
If you determine it's the transmission it's cheaper to replace it completely. Craiglist is your friend for deals on W&D pairs.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 16:55   #10
2barearms
Black Rifles Matter
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
My washer is not spinning on the spin cycle and when the pump is emptying the water it seems there is new louder buzzing. I will be trying to fix this myself.

What's broken?

How do you fix it?

I seem to remember many repairs require removing the top of the washer.
Will this repair require removing the top?

I think there is a pin on the rotating center piece that I bought to replace a long time ago.

Is it a Top Load Samsung?

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 18:19   #11
mutter
Registered

FALaholic #: 22871
on my old kenmore top load the gear teeth had broken in the center of the drum. Cost $21 for the repair kit and about 10 minutes. pull off the center cap and there will be a ring with gear teeth around the outer edge and some little flippy pieces that catch on it when it turns. this was how it turned the the drum and agitated the clothes. replaced and it still ran 10 years later
mutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 20:28   #12
gordonm1
Registered

I just got back from another marathon with my father at a sports show. I haven't done anything yet but thanks for all the responses. I think its what Mordeangray's video link talks about and I have the parts.

I think I also bought a collar for a break at the center rotating piece. I just need to tear into it and find the broken parts.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old February 18, 2017, 00:49   #13
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
If you can afford to do so, buy a commercial machine. It won't be the high efficiency type. Most of the new stuff is designed to follow the new mandates of efficiency which makes them close to useless and as a side benefit they are not repairable, which makes them as disposable as a bic lighter.
357ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017, 08:47   #14
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
While my washers not broken, she can sure agitate me easy enough.

I have had very good luck doing what some have suggested. I just keep fixing the old set. Every few years I have to replace a part or two, not a huge deal as long as I can find what I need. So far so good. 20 some years old and still working fine.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017, 10:44   #15
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Like someone mentioned, I go to Craigslist and find a used one. Many times you can find someone who is moving and get one about half price and only a year or two old.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017, 15:40   #16
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
My old Maytag was just so old there was very few parts I could find for it, the control panel no longer worked you had to do it manually then when it locked up I just gave up.

I can't find anything that's efficient on the new HE washer the wash cycle takes so long it has to use more juice than the old washer . Then the extra water you use in the wash and rinse is about the same amount I would use with the old washer. I will say on spin dry it does just that but I would still take my old agitator washer I sure didn't get much for my money being it cost around $ 900.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2017, 16:57   #17
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
The HE washers SUCK!

I think I have the same model, it is supposed to be "self balancing". It balances so well that it walks itself across the floor until the hoses are tight. When it does manage to actually spin the clothes out, they have more water in them than the antique it replaced, requiring almost twice the drying time. So noisy you can't stand to hear yourself think if you are in the same house as it.

Some day soon I will fill it full of tannerite and the wife come home to bits of Maytag scatterred all over the front yard.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2017, 19:21   #18
twodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 750
Motor coupler, I just fixed mine today.
twodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2017, 20:26   #19
gordonm1
Registered

More shortcuts, cool.

If I can't fix it I'll post a video of what 40 rds from an AK can do to it.
Old February 19, 2017, 21:18   #20
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
I kind of expected something similar to this though...

http://www.kappit.com/img/pics/201602_0842_eggeg.jpg
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2017, 21:49   #21
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357ross View Post
If you can afford to do so, buy a commercial machine. It won't be the high efficiency type. Most of the new stuff is designed to follow the new mandates of efficiency which makes them close to useless and as a side benefit they are not repairable, which makes them as disposable as a bic lighter.
YEP, Ross, right on. the next New to us will be a top loader, have the frontloader that has been a POS since day one.
The previous washer was a commercial top loader, Hell of a good machine and TOUGH but 30 years old.
Bout time to slip some new rollers in the dryer, every few years they get replaced.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote