The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old April 24, 2018, 08:19   #1
machinegunner
Registered

FALaholic #: 78657
C3 Corvette

I've wanted one of these for awhile now and was wondering what y'all thought of them? The prices are reasonable, 8-16 grand, insurance won't be horrible due to there age. My favorite year is 76 but I would like to add side pipes as they were only included in 69.

Anybody here have experience with Stingrays?
machinegunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 08:27   #2
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Back around '02 and '03 my second oldest boy had one which was a'78 IIRC.

My biggest memory of it was being a money pit and mostly a PITA to work on.

I specifically recall the "joy" of helping him replace a heater core under the dash.

I can tell you in no uncertain terms that he will never own another Corvette.
Old April 24, 2018, 09:03   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
The ones before 73 aren't cheap because they still had the power. The 76 was cool looking. I'd like to have a C3 but 72 and back. If it is a 76 then, I'd seriously look at mods. I've owned a 81 and my Infinity would have blown it's doors off. Owned a 1995 C4 and a 2001 C5. C5's are cheap. Met a guy with one he has gone through and wanted around 10K for it.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 09:41   #4
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
Im Getting the Corvette education --I bought an 85 C4 and I paid $3000.00 Now I need another 3 G to fix it up= in interior and paint Oh yea cracked plastic top too! Lucky the mechanics are good !
randy762ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 10:36   #5
nebula8080
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 37665
I cant speak to the older ones...I bet they are a money pit. I had a C6 that I used a daily driver (sold it when it hit 60K miles) and it was a pure joy (except for the bull shit electronic door pads). Parts are cheap, mechanics are everywhere and pulls serious power without much effort.

If I had to buy another I'd grab a low mileage C6/Z06. If I had to buy one today, I'd be getting tihs one:

http://www.candpimports.com/listings...-corvette-z06/

C&P is where I got my C6...completely professional and always willing to deal. Even picked me up from the airport.
nebula8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 11:14   #6
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
There are major upgrade kits you available for the suspension that will have it getting around corners like a vette should. As for running gear, being that old and in TN, my guess is there is no requirement for factory emissions BS, so drop a crate short block in it with a R700 or 200R4 behind it, throw the Edlebrock complete top end (heads, intake, cam, carb) on it, and have some fun. 300+hp in that little package makes for a good time, and it's quite easy with those components, and you don't have to go crazy with the compression.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 11:43   #7
machinegunner
Registered

A guy has a 72 454 for 15500 I was looking at.
Old April 24, 2018, 16:10   #8
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinegunner View Post
Many moons ago I helped a friend change the plugs in a BB 70 model. Had to used a hole saw to punch a hole in the inner fender to get to #7. It truly is impossible, and the reason so many 7-plug tune-ups were done on those.

They also handle like dump trucks with a pickup-truck like front to rear weight distribution. Hold their value for sure though. If you're buying to enjoy driving in more than straight lines I highly recommend a strong small block. Hell, drop a hot LS in and you can make the same power the BB does, and it won't plow in a corner. If an investment though that seems like a decent price for the last of the BBs.

Just my $.04.
Old April 24, 2018, 17:01   #9
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
If itís a matching numbers then they are worth more than 16k. The big block will fetch 10k more depending on miles. All depends on the condition. I would love to have one in that model or lower. Damn C2s were to me the best looking and are sky high now.

Old April 24, 2018, 17:42   #10
machinegunner
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
If it’s a matching numbers then they are worth more than 16k. The big block will fetch 10k more depending on miles. All depends on the condition. I would love to have one in that model or lower. Damn C2s were to me the best looking and are sky high now.
https://tricities.craigslist.org/cto...524498449.html

73 not 72
Old April 24, 2018, 18:17   #11
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Hmm nice looking. I was wrong about the HP. In 70 it was big time and in 71 dropped to 360 but that was respectable still. 72 is when it went to 270. 70 was the high water mark for muscle car vettes. If I had a 16k to play with and could get it back to 350 or better hp with a few grand it may be a fun car. I would check the body for cracks in the gelcoat. Knew a guy with a 70 when I was younger. You could kill yourself in a hurry with the skinny tires and the torque. But hey thatís what itís all about.

Old April 24, 2018, 18:25   #12
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Damn C2s were to me the best looking and are sky high now.
I agree, those are my favorites. I'd love a '65 or '66 with a hot small-block and 4 speed. Make mine a convertible with the hardtop!
Old April 24, 2018, 18:35   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I agree, those are my favorites. I'd love a '65 or '66 with a hot small-block and 4 speed. Make mine a convertible with the hardtop!
When I was in my teens they could be had for 6k. I was in Greensboro at the Awful House last year and an older guy and his wife pulled in with a 65 or 66 that was drop dead gorgeous one Sunday morning. I was a tad jealous

Old April 24, 2018, 18:51   #14
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
If you have 40 grand to throw around, get a classic muscle car and cruise the boulevard listening to some Stones or Zepp. A set of tires for c5 / c6 Covettes cost a grand at least, and nobody cares what you look like driving around in them. When I get my house paid off theres a Coronet 440 or Chevelle in my future.

I used to drive this around in my late 20s (15 years ago), and there was almost nothing on it that wasn't easy to work on:

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 24, 2018 at 19:00.
Impala_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 19:10   #15
ChannelCat
Registered

FALaholic #: 69959
Ahhhh, a 64SS. Had the plain Jane, and also a 62 2dr HT. And a 64 Nova SS. And a 63 Nova SS. LOVE the 62-64 Chebbies!
ChannelCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 20:24   #16
machinegunner
Registered

Also looking at this one. 16 k for the 73 is a little on the high side for me. not that it isn't worth that. I just don't have it. 12500 for this one is more in my range.
Old April 24, 2018, 20:48   #17
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
If you have 40 grand to throw around, get a classic muscle car and cruise the boulevard listening to some Stones or Zepp.
I just like to hear the sounds of my beat up old machine.
Old April 24, 2018, 21:32   #18
RJCapt
Registered

FALaholic #: 12442
Quote:
I've wanted one of these for awhile now and was wondering what y'all thought of them? The prices are reasonable, 8-16 grand, insurance won't be horrible due to there age. My favorite year is 76 but I would like to add side pipes as they were only included in 69.

Anybody here have experience with Stingrays?
Iíve had 3 C3s. Bought the first one because I always wanted one. It was a mess, complete rebuild including repaint (ever try to strip 3 coats of lacquer off of a fiberglass body? I wouldnít recommend it....). Where to begin.... the rear end is a nightmare to service and doesnít love a bunch of power, the power steering system...garbage, engine is anemic but itís a sbc, so build as much as your wallet can handle, ergonomics are awful (who needs adjustable reclining seats anyway...), vacuum operated headlights....really???? The worst part was putting a ton of time and a pile of cash into it, and hating driving it. Worst balanced ďsports carĒ Iíve ever driven. Couldnít sell it fast enough. Bought the next 2 just to flip.

But man, are they pretty. Oh well.

If you want a corvette to show off, get a C1/2/3. If you want a corvette to drive, get a C6. I had a 2006 with the LS2. Absolute dream to drive. Comfortable, handles like itís on rails, fast (enough) and when I T-boned a lady who pulled out in front of me at 65 in a Silverado, I walked away without a scratch. I wanted to replace it with a C7 anyway.....

Good luck with your search.

Pete
RJCapt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 22:44   #19
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

What about the C4 'Vettes? I remember that they were a welcome return to high performance after the last of the overweight and underpowered C3 models. Auto magazines at the time hailed them as "world-class" performance machines, and the first Corvette in years that was nearly "track ready". Their design still looks good today and not that dated at all to me. I'd think someone could buy one at a very reasonable price today and then upgrade and update to get closer to today's cars without breaking their bank.
Old April 25, 2018, 07:42   #20
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
What about the C4 'Vettes? I remember that they were a welcome return to high performance after the last of the overweight and underpowered C3 models. Auto magazines at the time hailed them as "world-class" performance machines, and the first Corvette in years that was nearly "track ready". Their design still looks good today and not that dated at all to me. I'd think someone could buy one at a very reasonable price today and then upgrade and update to get closer to today's cars without breaking their bank.
The 93 and higher were the LT1 engines. Before then they were 250 HP. I was not that impressed with the C4.

Old April 25, 2018, 08:57   #21
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

The LT1 was a good one at the time. My son transplanted one from a Trans Am into a GMC Sonoma (Chev. S-10), along with the 6-speed tran. It looks like a factory install and made a nice little hotrod truck.

I've never owned a Corvette, and probably never will. But, it's always been a classy car and I wouldn't have any model, any year, towed out of my driveway if found there. It's been an educational thread, reading of others' experiences with them. Some fortunate folks around these parts!
Old April 25, 2018, 09:03   #22
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

If I had some cash, I would get another vet Tex. With retirement looming in 5-10 yrs it just ain't in the cards. I was looking at those early 70's late 60's drooling yesterday. Got a guy I know working on a 280Z with a LS2 engine. That's insane.

Old April 25, 2018, 10:08   #23
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I got the Corvette jones some years ago and bought a 1996 with the 7 speed and liked it a lot. Way down on power though during that time frame. Insurance was nuts even being an older unit. I had an insurance agent tell me that there were two types of corvettes, wrecked ones and those that will be wrecked. The insurance was high to keep from insuring them. My driving record was and is good too.
I bought a new red 2011 Camaro SS 6 speed manual and still have it, only 14,000 miles on the clock. It is a fair weather only toy and I totally enjoy driving it. Insurance is not bad either.
I have thought about super chargers and all that but there is always the weak link that breaks after adding huge hp numbers. It is plenty fast just as it came so I will just leave it stock.
A guy needs a hot rod!
Good luck with your obsession and do keep us posted.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 10:57   #24
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1841
Forget 'Vettes. A cherry red Pantera passed me the other day on Los Lunas, NM. That was cool.
Old April 25, 2018, 11:28   #25
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

[QUOTE=Impala_Guy;4574129]If you have 40 grand to throw around, get a classic muscle car and cruise the boulevard listening to some Stones or Zepp. A set of tires for c5 / c6 Covettes cost a grand at least, and nobody cares what you look like driving around in them. When I get my house paid off theres a Coronet 440 or Chevelle in my future. QUOTE]

I'm probably the worst to most though. I love the classic looks, hell my first 2 vehicles were an original 52 GMC truck, and a 69 Mustang. Loved both, but this truly is the age of "hot rod," despite what those that grew up in the 60s would tell you. A new base Mustang or Camaro has over 300hp to the wheels, over 300ft/lbs of torque, corners better, goes faster, runs cooler, is more comfortable, far safer, get far better mileage, and is cleaner than anything from back then. There was nothing built in the 60s that can do what a current ZL-1, Shelby, or HellCat can do now, and still come with a warranty.

Like my guns I want the classic look with modern capabilities. Here in a few years the wife has already decided we're building a Cobra kit car. It will likely have a Coyote powerplant, AC, fully boxed frame, all modern underpinnings, fuel injection, cats, and everything else, and it will easily outdo anything built "back then."

Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too, for less money, trouble, and insurance costs.
Old April 25, 2018, 11:34   #26
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

[QUOTE=jhend170;4574336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Here in a few years the wife has already decided we're building a Cobra kit car. It will likely have a Coyote powerplant, AC, fully boxed frame, all modern underpinnings, fuel injection, cats, and everything else, and it will easily outdo anything built "back then."
One of my long-standing dreams! I think the Factory Five Type 65 coupe is just so damned cool. If I just had a place to build one...dream on!
Old April 25, 2018, 11:36   #27
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratas calientes View Post
Forget 'Vettes. A cherry red Pantera passed me the other day on Los Lunas, NM. That was cool.
Remember the ads back in the day? A Pantera, with Ford 351 V8 for $9, 995? Now that was an affordable exotic! Saw a rough looking yellow one a few years back in Dallas. A money pit now? Why, of course.
Old April 25, 2018, 18:06   #28
GALILAR308
Registered

FALaholic #: 2893
I have owned in the past a 68 427 convertible and a 92 LT1. I currently own a C6 Zo6 and 625hp C7. If you are looking a a car to drive donít get an old one,no C3ís or C4ís. I used to think my 68 was fast but itís not my Mercedes S600 will blow the doors off of it and it drives like an old truck but it looked very cool and nostalgic The C4 interior is very dated now and the deep sills are hard to get in and out of. My Zo6 and my C7 will break the tires loose and go sideways at 100mph. Plus the have AC that works and a nice stereo. Panteras are different. I owned 3. First one hit a tree with me in it. I drove the second one until the ZF 5 speed conked out(same transmission in an original Gt40j and sold it for 10k.The last one was yellow and concours with 8 and 10 inch campanolo wheels. Sold it for 50k to pay for my office in 2007. A descent one is 80-100k.
GALILAR308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 18:09   #29
GALILAR308
Registered

FALaholic #: 2893
Also my C6 Zo6 will eat a Pantera alive. On top of that they are rust buckets. If anyone is contemplating buying one,emailed me I will tell you where to look.
GALILAR308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 18:13   #30
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
1975 or newer requires smog-check in certain counties in TN.

https://www.emissions.org/loc/tennes...sions-testing/

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 18:43   #31
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
If you drive in traffic in the city, it just needs to be quick, not fast.