The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old March 22, 2018, 06:12   #401
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Awesome. I know it might not have felt like it at times, but it was! It's also good to know you are actually human. You had us all wondering for awhile.

Did I tell you how torn up Trevor was after Saturday when he saw you finished only 4 minutes behind him? I may have pointed out to him that you were carrying more weight than he was too (by %). He was most definitely feeling you breathing down his neck. How does it make you feel to know you intimidated an honest to god big bad Special Forces top level competitor?

Hell - I did the slackline hundreds of times in my yard. With gear, without gear - no issues. But after running 4 miles it was completely different. I barely made it across myself!

I'm sorry about your hair. The barbed wire will be fixed in the future with reinforced frames so it won't sag QUITE so low. When you and I have trouble getting under it, there's an issue. Those poor big guys had no chance!

I also tanked Stage 5, and my pistol sights were fine. Like before, I practice SHO and WHO a lot. And worked on the 50yd shot. But after two 16hr work days with little sleep and 4 miles of run (and that damn slackline wearing my arms out!) I guess I was just spent. I kept jerking the trigger and finished the stage at something like 35% of the winner.

You know what I loved though? As much as it didn't feel great, you got across the slackline. And so did Mel and Heather (Shane's wife). I didn't see the other ladies, but I have a feeling they did too from what I saw them do other places. And SO MANY of the men did not.

If you finished feeling awesome then I have not made the course hard enough. You crushed this course, Kelly - be proud!
Old March 22, 2018, 14:38   #402
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Did I tell you how torn up Trevor was after Saturday when he saw you finished only 4 minutes behind him? I may have pointed out to him that you were carrying more weight than he was too (by %). He was most definitely feeling you breathing down his neck. How does it make you feel to know you intimidated an honest to god big bad Special Forces top level competitor?
This does make me feel better

And you're so right about the slackline/shooting. It's just so different after all of that running. I mean heck even if you practice a fake RNG at home it's still different/harder day of with all of the adrenaline going on top of it!!

So here's what failed on my pistol if y'all were curious. The whole rear sight housing broke. The "windage" adjustment screw or whatever you call it on a pistol rides in that little channel below. So with that piece broken nothing was keeping the rear sight tight. The only thing retaining it and keeping it from flying apart was the elevation adjustment screw and the roll pin up front.

beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 16:16   #403
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Fancy sights break, yo...

How much 30-06 are you buying?

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 16:38   #404
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Fancy sights break, yo...
Yup. Dang new-fangled gear. On to my last set of graphs...I think.

We had a bunch of people not fill out the gear data in the registration form, but here is a summary of the data we do have. The Rifle Manufacturer data is so cluttered it's useless - other than it's a list of various rifle manufacturers represented at the match. No surprise that the vast majority of competitors shot an AR-15 in 5.56x45.

The pistol data was better filled out. Again, no surprise that a Glock 9mm seems to be the pistol of choice. The Pistol Manufacturer graph is cluttered with too much data and hard to read, but I was a little surprised that the XDM beat out the G19 in the models carried, and the G17 wasn't nearly as dominant as I thought it would be.

Old March 22, 2018, 20:07   #405
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Nuttz, what was that flashlight mount you had this weekend?
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 20:27   #406
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post

So here's what failed on my pistol if y'all were curious. The whole rear sight housing broke. The "windage" adjustment screw or whatever you call it on a pistol rides in that little channel below. So with that piece broken nothing was keeping the rear sight tight. The only thing retaining it and keeping it from flying apart was the elevation adjustment screw and the roll pin up front.
So have you done the math yet to figure out where you would have scored if your pistol didn't $hit the bed? I figured out if I would have shot Stage 5 just AVERAGE instead of horrible I would have placed a respectable 4th instead of 14th.

That of course assumes that everybody else didn't get to fix their screwups and score higher too. But we could play this game all day. In the end, I finished exactly where I deserved to finish.

Must. Train. Harder.
Old March 22, 2018, 20:51   #407
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Quote:
So have you done the math yet to figure out where you would have scored if your pistol didn't $hit the bed? I figured out if I would have shot Stage 5 just AVERAGE instead of horrible I would have placed a respectable 4th instead of 14th.

That of course assumes that everybody else didn't get to fix their screwups and score higher too. But we could play this game all day. In the end, I finished exactly where I deserved to finish.

Must. Train. Harder.
I started snapping in tonight. I'm going back to fundamentals. I may shoot nothing but irons for a while. I've come to lean on tools too much. Training for next year starts now.
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 20:55   #408
Bryan 45
Registered

FALaholic #: 17465
Quote:
Lisa said several times that she thought people were glaring at her which she took to mean "don't take my picture!". I told her that it probably meant "I'm f%$king exhausted and I can't see straight". From the beginning I asked her to capture both the triumph of victory and the agony of defeat...

This was one of those pics. When she showed me and I saw it was you I laughed out loud. I'm pretty sure "get that damn camera out of my face" was the last thing in your head right now. Do you remember what you were thinking here by any chance just for fun?
I knew the slack line was near stage 4, but didn't pay enough attention to know it was before stage 4. As I was walking up, getting ready to shoot I thought, I think it was Melanie that said "do the slack line first." So the look on my face is probably "whadda ya mean? I'm here to shoot."

Coming from shooting so much competition, where a 5 min rehearsal is always allowed, to "get your ass up here before the beep goes off" has been one of the coolest things about RNGs. I enjoy doing a little recon by talking to people, asking questions to those who've already run, and trying to play out the scenarios in my head, but there's still a big surprise when I get there and see it myself.

I also want to add, I'm still not crazy about running, but I love pushing myself physically until my body is trying to talk my mind into giving up. So far, the mind is up 5-0.
Bryan 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 08:38   #409
kotengu
Registered

I'm not sure if everyone saw these guys, but we had three different young men shoot the 5k Saturday. These kids showed more fortitude, respect, and skill than I EVER had at their age. I really look forward to seeing what they'll do with our world as they get older and we hand things over to them.

Ben Trumble is 11 years old, Thomas Ray is 12, and Logan Carmical is 13.

Old March 23, 2018, 08:59   #410
kotengu
Registered

I fully intended to do a "Ladies of Run N Gun" group picture at the event, but I got distracted and forgot so this collage will have to do. We had 4 awesome ladies shoot the 5k, 5 shoot the 10k, and 2 freaking AMAZONS shoot both in the 15k challenge.

Note to all the big beefy guys who really struggled with the slackline - every one of these ladies made it across. :-)

Old March 23, 2018, 11:52   #411
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Love the determined look on the face to the young contestant in the tube. He wan't going to let this match master him.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 12:34   #412
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Love the determined look on the face to the young contestant in the tube. He wan't going to let this match master him.
Yep. That kid is great. He has better gun handling skills than a lot of adults I know, and he's 11.
Old March 23, 2018, 12:39   #413
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

Quote:

Must. Train. Harder.
The last part - 100%. Greg and I always joke.... shoulda coulda woulda when we are reviewing our match days. If I had run faster maybe it wouldn't have mattered. If I had shot long range better on 4 maybe it wouldn't have mattered. These things really come down to who's on top of their game that day - mentally, physically, equipment-wise too!

That is what I truly love about run and gun though. This insane drive to be better. There's just nothing sports-wise that has motivated me to be in better shape than RNG, and I've done just about everything out there. I think it's mostly the people that are so inspiring that really fuel that drive for me. Whether it's because I admire them or just want to beat them so badly someday
Old March 26, 2018, 09:51   #414
kotengu
Registered

This is my last post and I will let this thread die a good death:

Here's a short compilation video you can share with your friends when they ask "What on earth is a 'Run N Gun'???"

It is 3 days of awesome crammed into less than 5 minutes, so it is an assault on your senses that you will likely have to watch multiple times to catch everything that's in there. Hopefully it provides just a glimpse of what it felt like to participate.

Stay tuned until the end for a special announcement!

Old March 26, 2018, 10:54   #415
beseventeen
Registered
Contributor

Great video!! Really encompasses RNG!!!
"All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death."

“What do you fear, lady?"

"A cage, to stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Old March 26, 2018, 12:15   #416
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Great video!! Really encompasses RNG!!!
Thanks!
Old March 28, 2018, 13:28   #417
kotengu
Registered

I lied - one more post. I keep getting questions like "why am I just now hearing about this 'Run N Gun' thing, and where can I find one near me?"

So here's a quick graph showing the exploding growth of Run N Gun recently to answer question #1, and a map of all the current RNG locations to answer question #2.

Every Run N Gun is slightly different, with different rules and expression of the centerfire biathlon idea. I love the variety and think it's a good thing they are all so different, but be sure to ask a lot of questions and understand what you're in for before you just show up and expect it to be exactly like the last one you did.

Old March 28, 2018, 13:42   #418
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
There's a huge gap from Oklahoma to Atlanta. We need to get something going to Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama....

Texas is full up, it looks like. Of course, Texas is always full of something....
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 14:17   #419
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
There's a huge gap from Oklahoma to Atlanta.
You have my gears turning on what I could set up here if we timed it just right in the summer.

-Throw hay bales on trailer, engage pistol target every 10 bales.
-Rifle targets every 100 yards from 100 to 500 as the trailer moves up the field.
-Run to barn and unload trailer, then run from barn to range for shoot-house set-up.
-Next shooter then repeats by picking up next row of bales.

Dayum, just think of the money I would save from not needing to pay teenage boys
Old March 29, 2018, 06:43   #420
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
You have my gears turning on what I could set up here if we timed it just right in the summer.

-Throw hay bales on trailer, engage pistol target every 10 bales.
-Rifle targets every 100 yards from 100 to 500 as the trailer moves up the field.
-Run to barn and unload trailer, then run from barn to range for shoot-house set-up.
-Next shooter then repeats by picking up next row of bales.

Dayum, just think of the money I would save from not needing to pay teenage boys
You might get some of them city boys to fall for that. My forearms started itching just reading it....
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018, 07:24   #421
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
You might get some of them city boys to fall for that. My forearms started itching just reading it....
Hahaha! I was thinking of all the empty brass his horses would find mixed in with their hay.

We move round bales around by hand a fair amount at home. Half of that involves climbing the barn wall, hanging from the rafters, and pushing a bale down off the top row with your legs (while having that same bale disappear from underneath you, leaving you swinging freely from the rafters). My wife has taken to calling it a "Run N Gun Obstacle."

Last edited by kotengu; March 29, 2018 at 07:34.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote