The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old March 31, 2019, 17:57   #1
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Yall Need To See The Bolt Guns on "The Polar Sea"

Netflix has a show called "The Polar Sea". Yall ought to watch it. EXPECT the typical tirade of global climate warming shit, BUT it shows how this cyclic heating this time around is affecting the Northwest Passage. Not everyone is upset with it getting warmer up there for a while.

For you FALaholics, what is interesting is the show on the Eskimos and how they hunt. What I want yall to notice is the condition and manufacturer of their rifles. They have a bunch of Enfields too.

Let me know what yall think.

Jarhead
Old March 31, 2019, 18:19   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
My best friend's father was in both the USAF and the Army. He did a stint in Greenland monitoring the GIUK gap. He went on a Polar Bear hunt with one of the natives. Guy had a single-shot .22 that had seen better days.
Old April 01, 2019, 13:23   #3
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
My best friend's father was in both the USAF and the Army. He did a stint in Greenland monitoring the GIUK gap. He went on a Polar Bear hunt with one of the natives. Guy had a single-shot .22 that had seen better days.
He carried that .22 in case the bear charged. So he could shoot his client in the leg, and make his escape.

I've heard tell of Eskimo's using 5.56 as bear medicine too. Can't say I'd concur. It might do the job, but why tempt fate? A full grown polar bear is huge.
Old April 01, 2019, 19:01   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Seen pics of locals in Alaska bear hunting with 5.56 AR 15's. It baffles me, my AR 10's in 338 Federal maybe but most likely a 30 caliber or 338 caliber magnum turn bolt with a compact slug gun backup.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2019, 08:25   #5
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I seem to recall that none other than Robert E. Peterson went on a hunt with the Inuit back in the day and managed to take a polar bear with a 357 Registered Magnum. Then again, I'd trust 180 grains at 1300 fps more than I would 55 gr at 3100 fps against a polar bears hide. I'm guessing they use the ARs for seals and wolves, not bears. Arent the "indigenous peoples" the only ones allowed to hunt seals by law?

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 02, 2019 at 08:57.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019, 20:28   #6
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Seen pics of locals in Alaska bear hunting with 5.56 AR 15's. It baffles me, my AR 10's in 338 Federal maybe but most likely a 30 caliber or 338 caliber magnum turn bolt with a compact slug gun backup.
There's another show where some Inuits used Mosin rifles.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 08:36   #7
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
Many of the Canadian Inuit are also in the Rangers, and still use issued Lee-Enfields. It seems most modern rifles do not survive in the arctic, and they have not found anything as reliable as the Lee-Enfield. Having once trained with them, I tend to agree as my C1a1 has a few issues up there.

More info on the rangers here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is online now   Reply With Quote