The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old March 06, 2019, 00:55   #1
Cossack
Registered

FALaholic #: 44813
SR-106 vs 5.45 AK74

I've owned 3 5.45 AK74s in the past; I know I like them. I wish I still had one, and I want another one. However, in the meantime, 7N6 and the SLR104 have become relatively expensive. I've started eyeballing the SLR106.

Weighing the two, as I see it at the moment:
5.45 AK74s - Ammo and mags are not amazingly cheap, but can be had at reasonable cost; however, the long-term future situation of both could be uncertain. At the moment I don't have any. Used rifles are getting silly expensive, but a low-level build, such as a Century M74, can be found for $700, give or take. (That's tough when I paid $350, I think, for my first one, but it was 100 years ago in gun market years.). A quality build with a chrome lined barrel is $800-$1000+, more for a sidefolder, which I'd perfer. However, this is the "real" AK74 round, and therefore much cooler!

SLR106 - mags are silly interms of cost and availability, but I can at least get some Circle 10 Smoke 20s for now and wait for the 30rds to show again. Ammo, however, is easy and probably always will be...and I'm sitting on a bunch. Rifles are great quality and a new one can be found for $800-$1100.

What else should I consider?
Go buy an AR15 for $450? :wink_smal
Old March 06, 2019, 08:20   #2
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I like the 5.45 round and the carbines I have for it (SAR-2 & converted Saiga) and laid in plenty of mags and ammo back in the day (cheaply). But of course there is always the siren song of something else so I have 5.56 AKs as well (SAR-3 and 106FR). Both shoot fine and no particular problems have been noted.

I did replace the SAR-3s hammer with one that supposedly has the proper geometry. I have a sufficient quantity of the superb Weiger mags which certainly does not hurt the functioning of the SAR-3. On a lark several years ago I fitted a rough 50 round Galil mag to the SAR-3. I had to draw-file the sides a bit to fit in the mag well and file and weld the front and back tabs for proper lockup but all in all it was not a terrible project and turned out well.

The 106FR is a much more refined piece than the SAR-3 but it does not shoot any better. In fact, a couples of years back I fitted both with the same scope and with the same ammo the SAR-3 was more accurate! Say what you will about the SAR series, I did this and saw it myself, my $300 SAR out shot my $900 106. I still like the 106 and do believe, without any proof, that it is a more robust weapon than the SAR. I have several of the 30 round Bulgy mags as well as a bunch of the Bulgarian 20s I got a deal on. But the dang thing works fine with cheap ProMags. Believe me that it pains me to say something works with ProMags, as I generally hate them with a passion and would not recommend them to anyone.

So, all that blather to sum it up with my recommendation to get a real(ish) AK74 in 5.45 or just shoot 5.56 out of an AR.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2019, 08:28   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I believe the 5.56 AK to be a universal piece of shit and I would never own one. If you want a 5.56, get an AR. Maybe a galil. I went with the SCAR. But not in the AK family.

I've built over a thousand 7.62s and maybe 500 5.45s. I'm fond of the 7.62. I love the 5.45. I absolutely hate the 5.56.

But I'm not selling them, so you won't suddenly find me loving what I've despised for two decades.
Old March 06, 2019, 13:58   #4
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
100% with plumer on this ..And I have owned and used both 545 and 556 why you ask ?

1. 556 was never really a issued caliber more a attempt to get country going from pact to nato and wanting a AK like they issued but in 556 meaning that
2. There was never any standardizing on parts and guns ..Esp mags ..For example a Romy 556 ak wont work in a Bulgy 556 mag etc ..Mags for all the 556 AK are crazy pricy for the ones that work at all
3. Many of the 556 Ak have had issues the SLR106 for example has a few batch of serial number to avoid due to issues with stuff breaking or not being done right .

The only selling point I can think of with the 556 AK is the ammo as you have a few more choice in ammo type ..

But frankly if you are asking 545 or 556 ..545 ak74 no question mags can still be had cheeply if you hunt ..They if propely made work great recoil is the same or less then 556 and its a standerized gun meaning parts are swably no question
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 12:24   #5
7.62FMJ
Registered

FALaholic #: 2274
I'd probably just go with an AKM pattern 7.62x39 rifle if just wanting an AK these days.

7.62FMJ

Last edited by 7.62FMJ; March 09, 2019 at 18:21.
7.62FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 19:53   #6
Cossack
Registered

FALaholic #: 44813
Thanks all - these are informative responses. GP, what's your beef with 5.56 AKs, specifically? Reliablility? Terminal performance? The same reasons pre1989 gives (Thanks, by the way).

7.62fmj, I agree with you. However, it's the specific aesthetic of a 5.45 AK74 in the Russian pattern(as opposed to say, a Romanian AIMS 74) that I like - and I already have a 7.62 AKMS on the way.

What's the going rate on a fully converted Saiga 5.45 - with proper AK74 FSB and Brake and handguards?

Can you buy any Russian/Bulgarian pattern AK74 5.45 gun of comparable quality to an SLR-106 right now for a comparable price?
Old March 07, 2019, 21:14   #7
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
I've owned 3 5.45 AK74s in the past; I know I like them. I wish I still had one, and I want another one. However, in the meantime, 7N6 and the SLR104 have become relatively expensive. I've started eyeballing the SLR106.

Weighing the two, as I see it at the moment:
5.45 AK74s - Ammo and mags are not amazingly cheap, but can be had at reasonable cost; however, the long-term future situation of both could be uncertain.
Back when:

I wanted a K98, but I didn't Buy one.

I bought ammo instead.
Then, when the ammo dried up I picked up my first shooter for $100
I've got thousands and thousands of rounds of cheap 8mm.

Ought to sell it since I can't shoot it anymore!

You going to get into 5.45x39, or 7.62x39, or 51....
Buy ammo, cuz when you need it it won't be around.

I'd actually prefer to swap my 74's for 47's (got those too)
But it's here to stay due to quantities.

Buy ammo.
Old March 08, 2019, 07:59   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Thanks all - these are informative responses. GP, what's your beef with 5.56 AKs, specifically? Reliablility? Terminal performance? The same reasons pre1989 gives (Thanks, by the way).
There is no compatibility between an AK in 5.56 from one country and that of another. Not always within the same country either - Bulgaria for example has both AK and AKM pattern, and the Yugo is it's own animal.

The 5.45 is a far superior round to the 7.62x39. The only area the 7.62 performs better is in penetrating light brush, where it's slower velocity causes less deflection. But penetration in solid matter, the 5.45 wins. But people asked "what if ammo is no longer imported?"

So I bought a pallet.

I grudgingly sold off my 10 AK 74s and my full-auto RPKS74, and replaced them with SCAR16s. It was a logistical decision - As much as I like them both, I don't want to stack both calibers. It's bad enough that I have stack 7.62x51 and 7.62x54R, because my belt-feds are in 54R.

Oh yeah - big weakness in 5.56 AKs is the magazine. The bulgy plastic ones suck. It's not the same material as the 5.45 and 7.62 bulgy glass-filled nylon and will shatter if dropped. And 5.56 mags are different and incompatible across countries and even within the same country - Chinese for example.

So that leaves the galil as the only recent 5.56 that is worthy of consideration - I'm eliminating original galils and valmets and guns that have unique collector value. None of the Century or ORF crap, but if you can get one built on a good receiver, there's nothing wrong with the gun.

Except for it being an obsolete platform. So as a standa lone gun, sure - but you want to start adding night vision, optics,, etc, then you may as well stick to the AR. Or the SCAR-L which is what I ended up doing.

Oh, I still have some 25,000 rds of 5.45 for sale. 7N6 see website.
Old March 08, 2019, 16:41   #9
mitchellh
Registered

FALaholic #: 16852
Hey Cossack, if you haven't seen my ad, I have one of Gunplumber's AK74s for sale here. 5.45x39 is the most enjoyable AK to shoot.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430406

Good Luck with your search.
Old March 29, 2019, 12:51   #10
Jdunk502
Registered

FALaholic #: 82068
as someone who threw the dice on a 2 different 223 aks, I can say that I own neither of them now and own an AR.
Jdunk502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019, 14:25   #11
fly2.0
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
you ask ?

3. Many of the 556 Ak have had issues the SLR106 for example has a few batch of serial number to avoid due to issues with stuff breaking or not being done right .
Do you have a link ? Or know what S/N 's that your statement refers too ?

from what number to the next ? Or what year to look for ?

I've heard of this in the past , but don't remember the spec. number's you refer too.
** Colt / FN All the way **
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2019, 18:24   #12
LKY_13
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Quote:
What else should I consider?
5.56 Ak you say? Sig 556...
Especially if you can find one of the early ones with Swiss parts.
Although, I've owned many serial no. ranges, and only ever had to send one back.
Even that one came back 100%. Just know what to look for, and test before you $$.
The SG 551/550 is THE finest rifle ever crafted. 556 is much easier to come by/far less costly/already utilizes AR mags...

LKY_13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2019, 13:40   #13
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKY_13 View Post
Although, I've owned many serial no. ranges, and only ever had to send one back.
Even that one came back 100%. Just know what to look for, and test before you $$.
The SG 551/550 is THE finest rifle ever crafted. 556 is much easier to come by/far less costly/already utilizes AR mags...

It's difficult for me to pick ONE rifle to designate as my "favorite", but when hard pressed, it's usually a tossup between my Bulgarian AK-74 and my SIG 556.
gaijinsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2019, 16:48   #14
LKY_13
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
I stand by the US made 556's that were quality built. Especially (but not limited to) the 'early release' which offered Swiss bolt/carrier and FCG (among other small parts). The US manufacturing on these early models is top-shelf. And, if you can find one-- are an excellent bargain. I have three. The triggers are brilliant, and recoil twist is buttery smooth. Problem is; next to no one even knows what the hell I'm going on about...

Sure, a true Swiss rifle is a no brainier; but you're talking at a dead-minimum, twice the cost. The B&T is right up there, too. Which, does not share the history of the SG 550 / PE 90. Is nowhere near as sexy, and is far from perfect... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MvzNeHtaIw
LKY_13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2019, 17:05   #15
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
Yep, I loved it so much that I got another for Jr and it is his favorite 5.56 rifle.
I to am a fan of the 5.45. Even have a couple of ARs in it.
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2019, 12:33   #16
C2A1
Registered

Have the usual military surplus mags but been looking for more. Looked at the new commercial Bulgarian and Polish project V which work. But I ran across some of these with metal in them. Very nice magazines for sure.
https://www.circle10ak.com/product/i...ine-5-45x39mm/
Anybody else try these?
Old April 14, 2019, 13:03   #17
C2A1
Registered

Did some digging. IMI apparently made these magazines for the Ukraine. Thought it odd that IMI would make 74 mags for the US market. IMI also was involved in get the Travor manufacturing running in the Ukraine. I heard the 5.45 Travor had issues. It seems the V10 polish mags went to the Ukraine.
Old April 15, 2019, 13:52   #18
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKY_13 View Post

I too am a fan of the SIG 556. Mine is a classic with the Swiss furniture and folding stock on it. I have never had a single issue with mine and I've owned it for about 8 years now. I also have an original Galil. Love it to death also. Not as nice for mounting optics but it can be done. I have the throw lever scope mount that works well, just a bit bulky. I would own an FNC, Valmet M76, and a Bereta AR70 as well if they were not so rare and expensive. Back in the day there were many options for 5.56 rifles based on the Kalashnikov design (although not conventional AKs). These are probably my favorite category of rifles and wish I would have bought more of them when they were available. I say that but I was a poor college student so I am just lucky to have bought what I did. I still remember holding an FNC in my hands at a Topeka, KS gunshow in the early 90's. The price was $800 and I was standing there racking my brain trying to figure out how to come up with the cash but I just didn't have it.
Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote