Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old May 31, 2012, 09:02   #1
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Mooses

a friend's son shot these videos in northern Me. near the Quebec border.
Thought some of you might enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MQy9iF4K-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNGrv...feature=relmfu
Old May 31, 2012, 10:15   #2
big44man
No longer lonesome
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 44868
And here I thought the plural of moose was meese !
NRA Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun. CCW Instructor.
big44man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 11:02   #3
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

I thought the actual plural of Moose to be uninspired!

Just my contribution towards ratting the cages of the "grammer nazi's"
Old May 31, 2012, 17:46   #4
hardass
Registered

FALaholic #: 21749
Looks like a newborn that lost his momma. You wouldn't know what happened to him do you?

Last edited by hardass; May 31, 2012 at 17:52.
hardass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 17:46   #5
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
That's great video. Glad mom didn't come along and spoil your friends day.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 18:05   #6
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardass View Post
Looks like a newborn the lost his momma. You wouldn't know what happened to him do you?
Yeah, he's OK. Momma wasn't too far away. Jonathon (photog) saw them crossing a logging road together later the same day.

Skeeterbay, I was thinking the same. I don't know what camera he was using, maybe a 20X or so. He said the mother was keeping a eye on the calf, apparently she didn't consider Jonathon a threat.

Mom Moose is not to be triffled with. One of them treed a friend of mine for about 6 hours. Every time he thought it safe to clinb down, she'd be waiting for him. He had a 44 Mag, but didn't want shoot if it wasn't necessary. His wife never did believe his story.
Old May 31, 2012, 18:56   #7
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Lol! Least she didn't knock the tree down.

People don't realize just how dangerous a moose can be. I am of the opinion that male moose during rut are the most dangerous animal in North America. Some of them just have the worst attitude during that time. I have had more problems with moose during rut than I ever did with any bears, Griz or black bears. Some moose can get nasty even out of rut if they are pressed enough or feel threatened.

Speaking of moose. We had a BBQ at the camp the other night and my 30 year old, his gal and my youngest son decided to drive their wheelers up. My youngest son was saying that they got behind a moose on the trail and ended up following him for almost two miles before he would get off the trail. Every time they got a little to close he would turn and face them and lay his ears down. So they didn't try crowding him. Which is a good idea as my oldest would have been upset if a moose stomped his new Rhino side by side. Lol!

Ard Choille!
Old June 01, 2012, 09:59   #8
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Rhino looks like a good rig. That's the ATV I would buy if I was looking for one.

Used to spend a lot of time in the Reality Road woods north of Ashland. Came upon some "Sports" from Conn in a expensive new Pickup and a highly irritated Bull Moose. The moose was in the process of doing some remodeling work on the front end of the pickup. When he was done, that truck wasn't going anywhere, much less chase him up the road any farther.
The hood was smashed, both front fenders dented and the windshield shattered.
Happily, the Moose looked none the worse for wear from the encounter.
Old June 01, 2012, 11:41   #9
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Yeah, he's OK. Momma wasn't too far away. Jonathon (photog) saw them crossing a logging road together later the same day.
Lucky man, momma moose can get nasty.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1557668.html

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...mountain-biker
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2012, 18:06   #10
wolfspotter1
Registered

FALaholic #: 64473
I always worry about moose and rattle snakes. Took these while camping and trout fishing at a pond in the Adirondacks, between Lake George and Lake Champlain.

wolfspotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2012, 22:29   #11
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Rhino looks like a good rig. That's the ATV I would buy if I was looking for one.

Used to spend a lot of time in the Reality Road woods north of Ashland. Came upon some "Sports" from Conn in a expensive new Pickup and a highly irritated Bull Moose. The moose was in the process of doing some remodeling work on the front end of the pickup. When he was done, that truck wasn't going anywhere, much less chase him up the road any farther.
The hood was smashed, both front fenders dented and the windshield shattered.
Happily, the Moose looked none the worse for wear from the encounter.
I run up through the Blackstone and out to Ashland quite a bit. Anymore during deer season you would think that route was I-95. Funny you mention Conn sports. I had one flag me down up behind square lake a good number of years ago. He was lost and couldn't wait to get the heck out of the woods. He couldn't believe how hard the hunting was up here. Told me and my boy we could keep Maine deer hunting he was going home. Lol!

The Rhino is a pretty good utility rig. Although a regular 4 wheeler is better for getting around in the woods off the trails. When moose hunting I take a 450 Kodiak 4 wheeler or my youngest son has a 700 Grizzly that I can use. About the only down side is that the 700 engine that is in the Rhino and the Girz is a little rough on fuel compared to my old 450's. We have two 2003 Yamaha 450's and those old gals have thousands of miles on them without one problem. Best dang machines we ever had. I hope the Rhino's turns out as good.

We bought our Rhino last year. Our oldest son and his gal bought theirs this spring. The Rhino's are about perfect for our trails. If I was out west running in the wide open deserts I would go for something with a little more speed like a razor. But for up here in our conditions the Rhino works great. I have mine set up for hunting with gun boots and woods equipment in it (axe, chain saw, cable, snatch blocks, etc). During partridge season two of us leave the house with a dog in the Rhino and we bag out before we hit Van Buren.

Don't know how long it's been since you ran the trails up this way, but there is over 5500 miles of them now in Maine. You can get to any town up here by ATV now. The wife and I go to WalMart, the mall, we even drive to Houlton for lunch or dinner on ours. Everyone up this way uses them just like a vehicle.

Ard Choille!
Old June 01, 2012, 22:53   #12
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Wolfspotter, Nice pictures! I didn't realize they inhabited the Adirondack mountains. Has this always been the case or is it something new? How big of a population would you say NY has?

Ard Choille!
Old June 02, 2012, 02:08   #13
BUFF
Registered

FALaholic #: 789
Thursday, a cow moose and her month-old calf shut down I-15, the interstate between Denver and SLC, just a couple miles up the canyon from Salt Lake for two hours. DWR finally got the cow tranquilized and both loaded into a horse trailer to get relocated further from the road. Dealing with a pissed-off adult moose is no laughing matter! Not funny when a car or truck hits them, either. Kills folks sometimes.
Old June 02, 2012, 05:13   #14
wolfspotter1
Registered

FALaholic #: 64473
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbay View Post
Wolfspotter, Nice pictures! I didn't realize they inhabited the Adirondack mountains. Has this always been the case or is it something new? How big of a population would you say NY has?
I've seen tracks since the 80's, not sure of the population. I have a feeling they head south through this area in the Spring. Yearly sightings in the towns of Fort Ann, Fort Edward are common.

My brother has a small farm up in Nicholville, Fort Jackson NY. Says they're pretty common there too.
wolfspotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2012, 08:18   #15
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Wolfspotter, I hope they continue to gain in your area. Up here you can spot more moose in an area that has been logged over maybe ten years past. They enjoy the new growth coming in. They can be a bit of a pain when the population gets big. One year they ripped out a batch of my young apple trees in my orchard. They ate most of the limps off them and left a stick with a root ball laying on the ground. They also get into my blueberries. They really enjoy the heck out of broccoli and cabbage. I once watched a big bull pushing one of my round hay bails around my field. I wish I had a camera with me that day.

Buff, Yes vehicles and moose are a bad combo. We also loose people every year to car moose accidents. A car knocks the legs out from under them and they roll back over the roof of the car squashing everyone inside. Same thing can happen to a pick up truck. Had a man killed within a 100 yards of my house one year when he hit one at night. Deer cause damage, moose can kill.

Ard Choille!

Last edited by skeeterbay; June 02, 2012 at 08:24.
Old June 03, 2012, 15:39   #16
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbay View Post
Had a man killed within a 100 yards of my house one year when he hit one at night. Deer cause damage, moose can kill.
That was probably Jim Lyford. He was a math, driver ed teacher and assistant coach in PI when I went to school.
He was going home after attending a funeral for another ex-teacher in Fort.

My brother-in-law wrecked a big Chrysler Imperial just south of Houlton one night. He locked up the brakes and laid down in the seat, that's what saved him. Moose came thru the windshield and the whole mess, Moose, Imperial and BIL slid off the road. BIL was pinned down with the moose's nose resting on his shoulder. Final insult came when the Moose snorted and blew crap all over the back of his neck, yuck!

Lots of mishaps with Moose in The County, not much of a problem in my present AO.
Old June 03, 2012, 18:17   #17
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
That was probably Jim Lyford. He was a math, driver ed teacher and assistant coach in PI when I went to school.
He was going home after attending a funeral for another ex-teacher in Fort.

My brother-in-law wrecked a big Chrysler Imperial just south of Houlton one night. He locked up the brakes and laid down in the seat, that's what saved him. Moose came thru the windshield and the whole mess, Moose, Imperial and BIL slid off the road. BIL was pinned down with the moose's nose resting on his shoulder. Final insult came when the Moose snorted and blew crap all over the back of his neck, yuck!

Lots of mishaps with Moose in The County, not much of a problem in my present AO.

Not sure what the fellers name was. Glad the BIL survived it. Moose snot close is too close

Ard Choille!
Old January 05, 2013, 00:23   #18
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...icle/id/254741

I blame Boris & Natasha
Story is online now   Reply With Quote