Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old January 03, 2019, 17:56   #1
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Handy Piece Of Kit

Had a little 24hr power failure on New Year's Day. If you don't already have one of these, you should.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2019, 19:12   #2
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
One of many kinds of lights I keep handy.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2019, 22:36   #3
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I usually run cheaper ones on my hardhats at work. Some are surprisingly rugged.And I put them thru hell. Some are absolute crap. One thing I've found is I don't need a bazillion lumens.Only enough to see decent. And the batteries last longer.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2019, 22:49   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I have way too many lights...
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2019, 23:14   #5
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76858
I must have 6-7 headlamps laying around some 10-15 dollar ones some 50-100 that are intrinsically safe but all are dead and ruined because I leave the battieries in them and they sit untouched from may -September when it doesn’t get dark in Alaska
Old January 04, 2019, 00:29   #6
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
head lamps are always needed, hands free work in the dark is a must

I have a Petzel Tac Tika uses 3 AAA bright and plenty of light to work & walk

the battery problem is easy to overcome

enloop rechargeables, I use the Brother P-Touch and label all as I purchase them from Amazon, and keep track of them in a spreadsheet

I also label the 18650's the same way
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2019, 20:37   #7
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMckay View Post
I must have 6-7 headlamps laying around some 10-15 dollar ones some 50-100 that are intrinsically safe but all are dead and ruined because I leave the battieries in them and they sit untouched from may -September when it doesn’t get dark in Alaska
Shit can all those alkalines and use nickel metal hydride rechargeables. I used to have the same problem,and switched,and that problem went away. They still die over time,but don't weep shit into your battery compartment. I bet lithiums would also eliminate this.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2019, 21:16   #8
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Yes, very much agree a nice headlamp is a must have. I use high drain 18650 batteries alot (sub-ohm vaping) so have standardized across to headlamps and flashlights that use the same.
Have a Nitecore HC30 headlamp that will put out an amazing amount of light but seldom run it at the high output level. On lowest level it will run for over a week. I can pull the lamp out of the headband and clip it on a pocket.
https://www.nitecorestore.com/Niteco...-nite-hc30.htm

For the more traditional style flashlight that takes 18650 batteries I have Vizeri's on hand.

http://vizeri.com/TacticalFlashlight.htm
Old January 06, 2019, 09:46   #9
2barearms
I really don’t hate you
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Need to get some...thx

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2019, 14:23   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have dozens. Bought my first in the 1970's that used a single 1.5 volt D cell lithium battery and incandescent bulb. Just the battery was $30 in those days and gave off just enough light to see your hands and maybe your feet.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2019, 17:47   #11
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
I collect lights,knives and Fals. Doesn't everybody? I do not have that model, nice.
Old January 06, 2019, 18:34   #12
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
Yes, very much agree a nice headlamp is a must have. I use high drain 18650 batteries alot (sub-ohm vaping) so have standardized across to headlamps and flashlights that use the same.
Have a Nitecore HC30 headlamp that will put out an amazing amount of light but seldom run it at the high output level. On lowest level it will run for over a week. I can pull the lamp out of the headband and clip it on a pocket.
https://www.nitecorestore.com/Niteco...-nite-hc30.htm

For the more traditional style flashlight that takes 18650 batteries I have Vizeri's on hand.

http://vizeri.com/TacticalFlashlight.htm

cool white or natural on the HC 30 Nitecore ?

I prefer a emitter that puts out light in the 5000 to 6000 kelvin range

have had one on my wishlist for some time, just that other things have had priority
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 07, 2019, 15:39   #13
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Yeah headlamps are great and cheep .

Olight was blowing them out for nothing or even free over xmas

I been looking at adding one of the old GI light to my light box ( the curved ones with a belt clip) as they are water proof cheep ( like 11 bucks) and have red and blue lenses stored in the base
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 08, 2019, 09:13   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Am not into cheap headlamps. Have a variety from small enough to fit in pocket to large high lumen output/long run time headlamps use for caving that batteries are worn on waist or carried in pack. Some mid size battery packs can be removed from rear of headband and clipped to waistband, put in pack or large pocket to remove weight from head. Especially since broke C2/C3 vertebrae have to be conscious of amount of weight carried on head for long periods of time. Why keep upgrading my ballistic helmet/headset/night vision setup to keep protection level and capabilities high as possible but reduce weight. Now have two size I.R. lights mounted to ballistic helmets. One for reading map or inspecting a weapon and larger that will supplement my monocular out to 100 yards if dealing with lots of dark shadows hard for my Gen 2+ and Gen 3 to see well.

Notice cord going from lamp to inside my caving suit:

Spend a lot of time underground and will learn a lot about headlamps.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 15, 2019, 15:55   #15
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
A cheap place to buy lights and batteries in bulk.
https://www.batteryjunction.com/
Old January 16, 2019, 21:20   #16
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKodog View Post
cool white or natural on the HC 30 Nitecore ?

I prefer a emitter that puts out light in the 5000 to 6000 kelvin range

have had one on my wishlist for some time, just that other things have had priority
Took me awhile but I finally figured out I have the cool white one. They offer two with a neutral white as the other one. Mine is supposed to have a bit of blue tint but honestly I cannot tell.
Turbo mode (1000 lumens) is crazy bright and the housing gets pretty hot. The lowest setting is 1 lumen, very low but still has uses. Intermediate setting get the most use. So far the two I bought have been very reliable. As always, YMMV.
Old January 17, 2019, 20:40   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Since this thread began been sorting through my headlamps and thus far have a box with at least three dozen "retired but functional" incandescent headlamps, a pile with a couple dozen incandescent to LED conversions and another two to three dozen LED headlamps with myriad of features. Like converting older Maglites over to LED sometimes it's cheaper to buy an entire new unit than the parts to convert from incandescent to LED so be careful before start ordering parts.

Have over a dozen Petzl headlamps that use these 4.5 volt flat batteries that are fairly common in Europe but not your 7/11 zippy mart fare in the U.S.

Have probably a dozen Petzl Zoom (discontinued) that use them along with Petzl Duo and more. What I like is can run them off the Euro 4.5 volt flat battery for extremely good run time or carry a simple converter that allows use of three AA or three AAA batteries. Some of the models have the ability to use your choice of the flat battery, AAA's of AA's with built in converter. The Zoom, Duo and more have models where batteries ride on back of strap system on users head or have a belt mount system such as the Zoom Megabelt.

I have hacked most of my Zooms and pitched the battery housing all together, added a longer cord and secure battery to cord with a turn of duct tape. The flat battery with no housing stows easily in a pocket or accessory pouch on your gear. This drops weight and reduces parts count. Mountaineering have to start looking at grams when packing three weeks of climbing, camping, cooking gear and food. Somehow in the 1970's we always had 90 pounds of gear then 40 years later when had access to titanium, carbon fiber, lightest weight composites available with ultralight high performance fabrics packs still weighed 90 to 94 pounds when started up the trailhead.

Rather than take advantage of less wear and tear on our bodies we carried more creature comforts like an extra sleeping pad, functional pillow (fancy stuff sack) but piled on more food and stayed in the field longer. My first trip into the Titcolm Basin of the Wind Rivers with my 1.5 volt incandescent lithium battery headlamp spent three weeks car to car and last trip in 2004 (spending more time in South America, Canada and Alps than contenintal U.S.) carried the same 90+ pound pack for three weeks of climbing but could actually see past our hands in the dark, sleeping was much more comfortable plus feet were warm and blister free.

As going through the headlights from LED conversions to latest ones of actual importance for more than working on the truck or plumbing chores it seems majority of my headlamps have moderate to major modifications. Seems like no matter the features or technology that come along usually find something want to change about my lights which is usually for longer run time, relocating center of gravity, use of battery(s) was not designed to work with or increased/decreased brightness. Can remember in the 1980's when headlamps were common for climbers and cavers most folk had never seen anything but the old miners carbide helmet mounted headlamp.

That said, if you really want to be sure to have a headlamp post the Big EMP looming on the horizon suggest all have a few carbide lights put back. If nothing else can convert them to I.E.D.'s if need. Have seen some major screw ups with carbide but many involved alcohol, a 55 gallon trash bag, piece of cannon fuse and some dumb @$$ dropping their cigarette on the garbage bag full of gas collected from their big supply of carbide. Ugliest burn/exposed bone from missing flesh wounds ever had to treat and try to comfort the victims were a couple of drunks playing with carbide while smoking. Had it not been for Lifeflight one would have died for sure and other quite possibly.

Have lights sorted in piles all over basement floor and going to pick out my favorites along with favorite hacks that make a good lightweight, long runtime, adjustable output light and post them up. While their are tons of good lights if go to cavers and rescue supply vendors often most can be made better. Also suggest all own at least a couple "explosive environment" rated lights. I work in a lot of explosive environments swapping light bulbs and electrical devices and never know when the place you need to be is contaminated with explosive gas vapors. I am the odd person with a full set of explosion proof meters and hand tools as well but sometimes things have to be fixed before able to vent area if able to vent it at all. As you get older with neck issues more you can reduce weight of your light the more your neck will thank you.