The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old February 24, 2018, 08:51   #1
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Rust Brown Process

I used Birchwood Casey plum brown on a muzzleloader years ago. Came out nice and was fast but heating the parts was a hassle. Anyone have personal experience with LAurel Mountain formula or others?
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018, 09:20   #2
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
I've only used, Wahkon Bay Tru-Brown, and have been very please with the results.
Theirs lots of ways to brown barrels i would think.
In the winter I used a box with heat lamp. In the summer when its hot and humid, just the box, and card often, it will rust pretty fast. I wipe the barrel with the acid and also leave the rag in the box, the vapor will also give it a nice even finish.
I've added water to a rag in the box, and the barrel came out red, like a new penny, leave the box dry and the barrel will be dark brown

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/

Last edited by munchoman; February 24, 2018 at 09:26.
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018, 13:16   #3
pierre
Registered

FALaholic #: 23206
I've used both methods-Plum Brown and Wahkan Tru-Brown (aqua fortis) to brown muzzle loader barrels, lock parts and other iron furniture. Rust brown was by far the easiest. I degreased the metal, wiped it down with a slightly diluted solution of the Tru-Brown and set it outside in the humid summer air overnight. Two or three days was plenty of time, with a light go over with fine steel wool after exposures to take off any large rust particles. I then neutralized any residual acid with a baking soda solution and oiled the metal. Very pleased with the results. The aqua fortis also makes an excellent traditional stain for gunstocks.
pierre is offline   Reply With Quote