The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old March 09, 2018, 20:30   #101
Henry-Bowman
Registered

FALaholic #: 79764
Point Taken...

But I still am a believer in the FAL receiver design...no rotating boltsd, no rollers for delayed blowback etc. Just am extremely simple design.

Did anyone ever make the FAL rec design in 556 ?
Henry-Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2018, 20:43   #102
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
I wish you would explain why you think it is simpler than a rotating bolt. It isn't simpler in parts count, and I don't see it as being simpler in operation. A rotating bolt is nothing more than a gas operated bolt action, and the additional parts and mechanical processes are no more complicated than on a tilting bolt. On one the carrier cams the bolt to rotate, the other cams it to tilt. The machining for the locking surfaces might be slightly more complex I suppose, but not at all difficult on modern machinery. The FAL receiver is much more difficult to machine than an AR or the SCAR, which is one of the reasons that the rotating bolt system is so favored. And although I personally don't favor the roller or flap delayed blowback locking systems, they are simpler than either the rotating or tilting bolt systems since they have no gas system. You do realize that major reason the FAL went out of production is that it was overly difficult and expensive to manufacture , don't you ? And let's face it, most of that complexity is in the receiver/bolt/carrier assemblies.

Also, the tilting bolt lacks a leveraged primary extraction.

FN CAL, Unsuccessful. Imbel briefly made a standard FAL in 5.56 which worked, but like all FALs the complexity and expense of production quickly doomed it. Besides, no one really wants a 10+ pound 5.56 with mediocre accuracy and no easy way to mount optics needed on the modern battlefield. It's a very cool collectors piece, but that's about all.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee

Last edited by J. Armstrong; March 09, 2018 at 21:10.
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 10:49   #103
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if there are more FALs over 3moa than under
weren't some of the acceptance standards closer to 4 moa ?
yes, and on a Garand, it was consistency. 40 rounds inside 8" at 200 yards was "National Match" Never really cared what somone's best 3 round group was, I want to see the whole magazine.

To me, the availability of the Geissele trigger and twice (if not three times) as accurate, were enough for me.

I don't know if my SCAR 17s are Sub MOA because I'm not a sub MOA marksman. But that I can do 1.5" 5 round groups at 100yds with ball ammo, makes me think a better shot could do better than that. I have not noticed any big improvement with FGMM. I am contemplating taking one of my 26" FAL heavy barrel blanks and making a 1-10 SCAR barrel.

Last edited by gunplumber; March 15, 2018 at 10:15. Reason: 100 not 200, I'm not that good.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 05:46   #104
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
The 17 seems to be quite accurate, I ran across some interesting groups shot with them on the Fn forum. My buddy reloads and claims he gets 1/2" groups with his all the time and he is into sniper weapons.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17...our-rifle.html

I also ran into this being why the 17's are getting hard to find.

Just bought a 16 this week to round of its older brother the 17!! My dealer said that at shot, FN told them the Saudi’s basically bought the next 2-3 years of production capacity to revamp their army.

If this is accurate, it could be a long while before civilian SCARs become available again after current supply runs out.

Last edited by d762nato; March 12, 2018 at 06:32.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 07:39   #105
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d762nato View Post
The 17 seems to be quite accurate, I ran across some interesting groups shot with them on the Fn forum. My buddy reloads and claims he gets 1/2" groups with his all the time and he is into sniper weapons.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17...our-rifle.html

I also ran into this being why the 17's are getting hard to find.

Just bought a 16 this week to round of its older brother the 17!! My dealer said that at shot, FN told them the Saudi’s basically bought the next 2-3 years of production capacity to revamp their army.

If this is accurate, it could be a long while before civilian SCARs become available again after current supply runs out.
But, but, why would the Saudis do that, the FAL is so much simpler !!!!!

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old March 12, 2018, 10:54   #106
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

Anyone try and find or buy a SCAR 17 lately. Good luck finding them. only a few on Gunbroker. Everyone else is out of stock.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 11:54   #107
Henry-Bowman
Registered

ANy Co's Making FALs any more ?

Any countries/co's making new FALs ?
Old March 12, 2018, 12:39   #108
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

No, unless you count DSAs questionable production.

Old March 12, 2018, 12:48   #109
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if there are more FALs over 3moa than under

Don't recall for sure, but weren't some of the acceptance standards closer to 4 moa ?
I have a DSA 50.00 that gunplumber built that has a supposedly crap 21" Argentine chrome lined barrel from SARCO on it. It regularly prints under 3" with Federal ammo, handloads, and even South African surplus. I bet with optics and a better trigger man its a bonafide 2 - 2.5 moa rifle. Luck of the draw I suppose.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of FAL barrels were made on the same rebuilt machinery that built Mauser barrels for a couple of decades prior. You can can't compare that old leaky hydraulic shit they used in the 50s and 60s to SCAR barrels made on a brand new multi million dollar gun drilling and hammer forging machines, and modern gauging and inspection processes. I've toured the FNH US plant and their deep drilling setup is something else.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; March 12, 2018 at 13:05.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 14:42   #110
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
You can can't compare that old leaky hydraulic shit they used in the 50s and 60s to SCAR barrels made on a brand new multi million dollar gun drilling and hammer forging machines, and modern gauging and inspection processes. I've toured the FNH US plant and their deep drilling setup is something else.

But, but - the FAL receiver is so SIMPLE !

Old March 12, 2018, 15:06   #111
Henry-Bowman
Registered

Maybe the Saudis Would...

Buy new FALs (instead of SCARs) if they were still made ?

I would.

Doesn't seem like a fair comparison...Saudis buying something which IS produced, but NOT buying something which IS NOT !

Not sure - maybe I'm missing something.

...defender of the FAL until the end
Old March 12, 2018, 16:37   #112
hardass
Registered

FALaholic #: 21749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

Anyone try and find or buy a SCAR 17 lately. Good luck finding them. only a few on Gunbroker. Everyone else is out of stock.

Thorack
This one stuck around for weeks.

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...-scar-17s-2500

This one has been around awhile and still for sale..

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...**Price-Drop**

This is AR and AK country in S.E.Loosianna. I've seen FAL'S that never get a second look around here, except at a range , then everyone wants to finger f##k it and ooww,,ahhh.
hardass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 16:42   #113
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardass View Post
Wow, that was a great deal - trigger adds $300 (and worth every penny!)
Old March 12, 2018, 17:02   #114
Henry-Bowman
Registered

Who Owns FAL Patents ?

Curious...what country or co owns the FAL design patent ?
Old March 12, 2018, 17:08   #115
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry-Bowman View Post
Curious...what country or co owns the FAL design patent ?
I would think after 60+ years, any original patent has expired.
Old March 13, 2018, 07:33   #116
d762nato
Registered

Quote:
But I still am a believer in the FAL receiver design...no rotating boltsd, no rollers for delayed blowback etc. Just am extremely simple design.

Did anyone ever make the FAL rec design in 556 ?
I believe Springfield Armory had one in 556 with the goofy stock on it. I love Fals too I just have both Fal and Scar 17.
Old March 13, 2018, 08:13   #117
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I believe Springfield Armory had one in 556 with the goofy stock on it. I love Fals too I just have both Fal and Scar 17.
That was the Imbel variant.

Old March 14, 2018, 20:51   #118
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
Henry I’m not quite sure why you want to knock the Scar 17 if you don’t own one or have never even handled one? Having owned FALs both in 556 & 762 and a Scar H, there is NO comparison between them other than they are all FN.
jam762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 10:51   #119
Henry-Bowman
Registered

Why ?

The truth ?

Since you asked...

The SCAR IMHO is frivolous...a pink elephant, and albino, obsolete already. It seems to be something sought after not because of what it can do, it's history, it's simplicity, it's suitability for a purpose, or ? but because of it's price tag and associated coolness...Seems to be something which most folks cannot justify, like a Ferrari. I don't want a Ferrari either. If someone gave me one, I'd sell it and use the more more humanly.

Plus it's UGLY ! It looks like an AR - ugly.

And it's the 'oogling' I see or hear over this thing which, if it really is more accurate and 500+ yds is your thing, buy a bolt action. And if you want a real MG, get one (MG42 or, if you want history, get a FAL (or AK or ?) or if you want...

Seems to me in real war there'd be bolt-action folks, and then the auto guys, the auto guys use M16's as the round is light and does the job most of the time. I can see the SCAR (or FAL) being used by only a few members of a team, if any at all. 308 is just too heavy for almost everything. And if my life depended on what I carry ? I'd carry a FAL.

They just seem to have little to no purpose, and are way overpriced. They seem to be like a diamond, worth something only when others think it's worth something.

If they were about $1500, I could say yea, they are an alternative to the M16, or AK47...

$.02 - I just don't like them, see little to no purpose especially at that price point.
Old March 15, 2018, 12:10   #120
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
So I guess you won't be getting one anytime soon then! Its all personal preference there Matey - both are fine Wood, off a damned Good Tree! Me, I enjoy my VW MK4 Vr6 - some say its crap!
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 15:40   #121
Danus ex
Registered

FALaholic #: 50276
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
If we're going to resurrect this thread, I should update. I sold all my fals and I sold all my ARs and I am currently selling the last of my AKs. All replaced with SCARs. I now have 3x 17s and 8x 16s (for the zombie apocalypse). And dealer price has jumped another 10%.
Thanks for this update, I was curious if your opinion shifted much 7 years later.

You're also confirming my own recent experience and thought. On one hand, I want to shoot suppressed at rifle distances with iron sights using a firearm under 10 lbs that was actually designed to be suppressed. On the other hand, I've got 25,000 rounds of M80 that's much easier to keep and shoot than sell and ship. Add them together and I've got a short list of worthwhile options:
  • FN SCAR 17S
  • Knight's Armament SR-25 E2 CC
  • SAN SG 751 SAPR 16"
There are other AR-10 types, but if I go that way, I'll just get the KAC and be done. Time for me to move on fully from the 1950s.
Danus ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 17:10   #122
Henry-Bowman
Registered

I Vote For...

...sellign all the 308's and I'll be up to get that surplus

Yes, true Danus...to each our own hunk of metal...

Too bad I don't work in DoD and can spec rifles
Old March 15, 2018, 17:41   #123
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
The truth ?

Since you asked...

The SCAR IMHO is frivolous...a pink elephant, and albino, obsolete already. It seems to be something sought after not because of what it can do, it's history, it's simplicity, it's suitability for a purpose, or ? but because of it's price tag and associated coolness...Seems to be something which most folks cannot justify, like a Ferrari. I don't want a Ferrari either. If someone gave me one, I'd sell it and use the more more humanly.

Plus it's UGLY ! It looks like an AR - ugly.

And it's the 'oogling' I see or hear over this thing which, if it really is more accurate and 500+ yds is your thing, buy a bolt action. And if you want a real MG, get one (MG42 or, if you want history, get a FAL (or AK or ?) or if you want...

Seems to me in real war there'd be bolt-action folks, and then the auto guys, the auto guys use M16's as the round is light and does the job most of the time. I can see the SCAR (or FAL) being used by only a few members of a team, if any at all. 308 is just too heavy for almost everything. And if my life depended on what I carry ? I'd carry a FAL.

They just seem to have little to no purpose, and are way overpriced. They seem to be like a diamond, worth something only when others think it's worth something.

If they were about $1500, I could say yea, they are an alternative to the M16, or AK47...

$.02 - I just don't like them, see little to no purpose especially at that price point.
I'm sort of in agreement about the aesthetics and price point though an AR looks a hell of a lot better and doesn't look like it has a boot for a stock. I wouldn't mind having one with the 18-inch barrel. But they have gotten way too expensive. When they were around $2400 it may have been feasible. I shot a 17 with a Nightforce scope. It was accurate as hell and the glass was mighty fine. Just don't have the love for it. I think I could build a decent AR10 that would be pretty close to the accuracy.

If there ever needs to be long range Carlos Hathcock dirty work done, then a bolt action is the choice. Plus you aren't slinging brass that will need to be policed.

The FAL is a cult rifle. You are now showing signs of the addiction.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 18:11   #124
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

As Mark mentioned way back in the thread, it's not so expensive if you compare it to factory built FALs, especially if you spec out a FAL as an equivalent to a SCAR. Of course, built FALs are indeed much cheaper and will certainly get the job done, perhaps at the price of some versatility depending on your need. Some SCAR standard features such as the folding, adjustable stock, may not be of value to some users. You could probably spec out an AR equivalent to the SCAR and while it would certainly be cheaper - and more readily available - there are features of the AR that I personally feel prevent it from being as good as a SCAR. YMMV, of course.

I don't pick my serious" social work" weapons for looks or historical significance. Again, YMMV. I rather doubt an opponent would feel more inclined to surrender if my rifle is "pretty" or "famous". From a collectors viewpoint, or just when it comes to enjoying a weapon, the FAL is of course top dog.

Everyone knows I am a lover of the FAL but having shot most of the past and present 7.62x51 MBRs, I decided that the SCAR is hands down easily the best of the bunch for any application I can anticipate needing.

Last edited by J. Armstrong; March 15, 2018 at 21:40.
Old March 16, 2018, 15:01   #125
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Buy new FALs (instead of SCARs) if they were still made ?

I would.

Doesn't seem like a fair comparison...Saudis buying something which IS produced, but NOT buying something which IS NOT !

Not sure - maybe I'm missing something.

...defender of the FAL until the end
Yes, you are missing something. The FAL was an exceptional weapon system... in it's day. It is now outdated, and compared to modern weapon systems, the FAL is "adequate" at best (but still fun to shoot and build). You state, " ... defender of the FAL till the end." It appears that your ignorance is self chosen.
Old March 16, 2018, 18:21   #126
Henry-Bowman
Registered

Ok

So what won't the FAL do ?
Accuracy ? Get a bolt...
?

Yes, I'm FALpolar
Old March 17, 2018, 07:33   #127
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Accuracy ? Get a bolt...
?

Yes, I'm FALpolar
Why would you want to carry two rifles when one will do ?

Old March 17, 2018, 13:45   #128
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Quote:
Accuracy ? Get a bolt...
?

Yes, I'm FALpolar
What will the FAL do that the SCAR won't? Make the bottom of your tummy feel funny? Nothing wrong with that, but that's a personal thing rather than empirical and fits better in the redhead thread
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 17:14   #129
Henry-Bowman
Registered

Question...

How does a FNAR stack up vs a SCAR ?
Just a general question, no interest in promoting either.
Old March 20, 2018, 19:50   #130
Greg77
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27766
It comes down to the avalibilty of spare parts. You can get all the parts for the Fal. You can keep it runnig for years. Try to get spare parts for the scar right now. The scar is my para fal. I like them both.
Old March 20, 2018, 22:04   #131
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Well, I can't speak for right this minute, but as of a month or so ago I got a full complement of spares for mine with no particular problem. I have to admit it was awful pricey, though.

Old March 21, 2018, 07:34   #132
3Guneric
Registered

FALaholic #: 72897
My 2 Cents

I have an early Entreprise STG58 (1990's). I was on DSA's original waiting list when they initiated FAL production but they were taking forever. I determined to go the FAL route simply because of the cost of the magazines was so low versus AR 10 mags. Armalite had a deal where you send them 2 M-14 mags ($50 ea) and they send you one mag back converted for AR 10. So AR 10 mags were basically $100 each! Surplus FAL mags (Austrian) were $5.00 each at the same time. Economics drove me to the FAL. That is how I got my FAL - and a boatload of mags! Believe it or not, my gun is still going strong with no issues.

I have handled, disassembled, and fired the SCAR on a number of occasions. It is accurate and well made but the cost factor simply is too high for me. I am primarily an AR/AK guy and my gun $ has gone in that direction, with a recent detour down the CZ Scorpion carbine highway.

Gun purchases are personal choices so, in my opinion, there is no right or wrong answer.

* When they were counting Al Gore's hanging chads during the 2000 election I got that boatload of mags and also got a spare STG kit (cheap). Maybe someday it will go to gunplumber to be mated with a receiver and the Entreprise will no longer be alone.

Last edited by 3Guneric; March 21, 2018 at 07:47. Reason: correction
3Guneric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018, 08:53   #133
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I just got an order of spares in as well. I didn't realize there was a shortage. When did this happen?

Yeah, some of my full-auto parts were backordered for a while, but semi parts are not.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/fn-scar/parts.html
Old March 21, 2018, 20:53   #134
MK ULTRA
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorPoet View Post
RG Coburn said,

Dude........ You have NOT seen my neighbor's (South African) wife!!!

OMG!

-WP
Pics or it didn't happen!!

MK ULTRA.....OUT.....

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Statesman and Inventor: 1759

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.....
MK ULTRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018, 21:51   #135
StuntManMike
Registered

FALaholic #: 27063
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I just got an order of spares in as well. I didn't realize there was a shortage. When did this happen?

Yeah, some of my full-auto parts were backordered for a while, but semi parts are not.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/fn-scar/parts.html
Those SCAR 17 barrels cost more than either of my FALs.
Old March 22, 2018, 00:13   #136
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

While I agree that SCARs are pricey, you might stop to consider that your FAL is, presumably, not a brand new FN production rifle. What do you suppose one of them might cost if they even existed ?

Now, I understand that a perfectly functional FAL can be built for less than a SCAR ( which is a good thing ! ) but, IF you want to compare them as equals, you need to build a para FAL, with an adjustable LOP stock and comb, with a high quality scope mount. If you want to add tactical doodads, then you need something like a VLTOR HG. Suddenly the price gap is lower - MUCH lower. And you still haven't got the inherent accuracy and you are still close to two pounds heavier.

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting or owning a FAL over a SCAR, but an awful lot of the arguments trying to justify that choice are pretty specious IMHO.

Old March 23, 2018, 07:01   #137
d762nato
Registered

While I do like my Scar setup with an Elcan Specter 1x4 with the special trigger and a bunch of mags, I would trade it for a nice G- Series fal with the all wood stocks like I used to own. Any takers...a shooter grade with a little wear would possibly do. I just like the old gals I guess.
Old March 23, 2018, 20:42   #138
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Well, that would cover about half the cost

Old March 23, 2018, 20:51   #139
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuntManMike View Post
Those SCAR 17 barrels cost more than either of my FALs.
If I could afford to buy enough ammo, while possessing the necessary free time, to wear out a SCAR barrel, I could justify spending the $$$ to buy a new one. If the free time was actually paid training time, it would be a tax deduction.
Old March 24, 2018, 05:54   #140
d762nato
Registered

Quote:
Well, that would cover about half the cost
Come on now I've got over 5 g's in this 17 and 15 extra mags to boot. My last nib all wood stocks G series cost me 4 g's. You mean they cost more now.
Old March 24, 2018, 07:05   #141
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Come on now I've got over 5 g's in this 17 and 15 extra mags to boot. My last nib all wood stocks G series cost me 4 g's. You mean they cost more now.
I hear ya - I don't know what ever happened to the "good ol' days "

Old March 25, 2018, 08:56   #142
jaybo785
Registered

FALaholic #: 75292
With the full understanding that this is just my personal opinion with no objective data to back up here is my take.

I had sold off a large part of my collection to raise money for my scar, near the end I had my FAL, my l1a1, my PTR91, my 1903, ar15 and savage 7mm.

I kept finding myself reaching for my scar above all else as I couldn't justify spending money on the ammo for the other rifles or using my .308 on another rifle that I could do more with when using the scar.

I loved my FAL and L1a1, they were amazing rifles but when attempting the same set up to have it try and keep up with the SCAR I found myself with a much heavier rifle that I could not shoot as accurately with. (I'm not a marksman and am honestly not that great of a shot.)

So after careful consideration I sold off all of my remaining rifles and "invested" in more .308 and upgrades for my SCAR to become a better shot.

Do I miss my FAL? yes, would I trade my scar for my old rifles? No.

Last edited by jaybo785; March 25, 2018 at 09:07.
jaybo785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 17:21   #143
Henry-Bowman
Registered

SCAR Compares to ?

So it seems there are a few folks who think the SCAR and FAL do not compare, the FAL isn't as accurate, it's old, it doesn't have an on-board GPS, it's old, it's not modern, no current military uses it, blah blah blah...

So, what >does< the SCAR compare to ? An AR10 ?
Old March 28, 2018, 19:14   #144
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

In my objective analysis, it has no comparison. It has the ergonomics of an AR, with the simplicity of an AK. You can probably get more accuracy out of a Larue OBR or other custom AR-10, but you're still stuck with the the AR's comparative fickleness. Go to a piston AR, with suppressor mode like the Sig 716(?) - ok. But it's still an AR with all the shortcomings of that system. The SCAR is a buy once, (then buy a trigger) and then you're done. Nothing else to do to it. You don't like it - fine. Don't care. But your analysis as to the pros and cons of the system have been juvenile at best. JFC on a Pogo Stick, Dude! Keep your FAL. Nothing "wrong" with a FAL and there was nothing "wrong" with Windows 95. Some of us want more and are willing to pay for it.

Last edited by gunplumber; March 28, 2018 at 19:21.
Old March 29, 2018, 15:42   #145
Henry-Bowman
Registered

So...

How does the desing of the SCAR compare to an AR ? FNAR ?
Old March 29, 2018, 16:40   #146
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I see no point in trying to educate you on comparative design philosophy, when your contribution to this thread thus far has been to vociferously pronounce your opinion on a subject you know nothing about.

Quote:

Plus it's UGLY ! It looks like an AR - ugly. . . .

I just don't like them, see little to no purpose especially at that price point.
I get it - just rich folks buying it so they can say they have an expensive gun to show off! There are those people, I'm sure. But you malign those like myself, who work for a living, and at least like to think ourselves rational with expenditures. And even with the high price, made a rational decision that it offered something not available elsewhere. Just like the Rangers and SOCOM I used to serve with.

If you have a specific, erudite question, I may deign to answer. But as it is, you seem like a lazy pre-teen more interested in hearing themselves talk, than having any real investigative motives.

Last edited by gunplumber; March 29, 2018 at 16:51.
Old March 29, 2018, 17:22   #147
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Quote:
While I agree that SCARs are pricey, you might stop to consider that your FAL is, presumably, not a brand new FN production rifle. What do you suppose one of them might cost if they even existed ?

Now, I understand that a perfectly functional FAL can be built for less than a SCAR ( which is a good thing ! ) but, IF you want to compare them as equals, you need to build a para FAL, with an adjustable LOP stock and comb, with a high quality scope mount. If you want to add tactical doodads, then you need something like a VLTOR HG. Suddenly the price gap is lower - MUCH lower. And you still haven't got the inherent accuracy and you are still close to two pounds heavier.

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting or owning a FAL over a SCAR, but an awful lot of the arguments trying to justify that choice are pretty specious IMHO.

Without going too deep into the complete story and timeline....

I wanted a SCAR when they first hit the market. I was afraid of the $2400 price tag at the time. I ended up going with a modernized DSA. I threw lots of money in parts at the DSA to make it more of what I wanted. After years of shooting, experimenting, and trying different parts, Ive finally come down to what Ive wanted....minus the para conversion.

I now have a $2200 FAL that looks like its desperately trying to be a SCAR. Add another $275 if I went with a para from the start, and then ANOTHER $250 for the new adjustable comb/ LOP DSA stock.....and Im right in the midst of SCAR price territory with a rifle that is less accurate, and weighs pounds more. Optic and mounts are not even being factored here.

Do I still love the thing? Absolutely. Its my do-all rifle (exactly what I wanted) that does everything on the list of things I wanted a fighting rifle to be able to do. Not to mention its built like a tank.

Do I wish it could shed about 2 pounds and go back to the 8 lbs it started at before adding all of the tacticool crap (that the SCAR already has equipped at 8 lbs)? Yup.

Will I someday purge all I have that is FAL and migrate to the SCAR? Im not sure.....aside from the TWO POUNDS difference, the rifle does what I myself want and expect a rifle to do.

A precision rifle it is not. A light weight rifle it is not. Inexpensive it is not.

fuel fire desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018, 18:26   #148
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post
A precision rifle it is not. A light weight rifle it is not. Inexpensive it is not.
You're correct on all accounts.
The FAL is a fine riFAL but is about like comparing the .30 carbine to the M4 when it comes to FAL vs Scar.

I'm not sure why this thread is still going
jam762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018, 20:47   #149
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post
Without going too deep into the complete story and timeline....

I wanted a SCAR when they first hit the market. I was afraid of the $2400 price tag at the time. I ended up going with a modernized DSA. I threw lots of money in parts at the DSA to make it more of what I wanted. After years of shooting, experimenting, and trying different parts, Ive finally come down to what Ive wanted....minus the para conversion.

I now have a $2200 FAL that looks like its desperately trying to be a SCAR. Add another $275 if I went with a para from the start, and then ANOTHER $250 for the new adjustable comb/ LOP DSA stock.....and Im right in the midst of SCAR price territory with a rifle that is less accurate, and weighs pounds more. Optic and mounts are not even being factored here.

Do I still love the thing? Absolutely. Its my do-all rifle (exactly what I wanted) that does everything on the list of things I wanted a fighting rifle to be able to do. Not to mention its built like a tank.

Do I wish it could shed about 2 pounds and go back to the 8 lbs it started at before adding all of the tacticool crap (that the SCAR already has equipped at 8 lbs)? Yup.

Will I someday purge all I have that is FAL and migrate to the SCAR? Im not sure.....aside from the TWO POUNDS difference, the rifle does what I myself want and expect a rifle to do.

I'm right with you - went pretty close to that route myself.

Still love FALs, still have them, always will, no mistake. But reached the same conclusions you did. Sold a bunch of stuff so I could get the SCAR and don't regret it for a minute !

Old March 29, 2018, 21:15   #150
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
May I suggest you pull up some exploded ( well, not LITERALLY exploded ) schematics and parts diagrams or videos for the AR, the SCAR, and while you are at it, the FAL. As a side note, you may note that the FAL action which you feel is "simple" actually has quite a few more parts than either the AR or SCAR.

I just did a VERY quick glance at youtube and grabbed this for an example. No connection with the author, just watched enough of it to see that it had some explanation of the workings. There are certainly lots of others on the SCAR, AR, and FAL. Have at it and enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJCmeX-5Tg

Last edited by J. Armstrong; March 29, 2018 at 21:30.