The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old January 11, 2019, 16:02   #1
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
SOG Knives

Anyone noticed that the early SOG knives made in Seki Japan are selling for high dollar right now? I've seen SOG Tigersharks going for $300-$500. I have several SOGs but never thought they were anything special. SOG Scuba/Demo's and Trident's are selling for even more.
Old January 11, 2019, 16:17   #2
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Old SOG is a bit different beast to New SOG. Most all consider the old to be a much better made product (I have no experience with either, just reiterating what I have read) and as they are making no more....well...instant price rise. This has been a phenomenon for sometime I believe.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 23:56   #3
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Cold Steel Seki knives go for a lot now as well, since almost all new ones seem to be Taiwan made now.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019, 10:13   #4
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
I guess a lot of makers are looking for an economic edge these days, but its a mistake to lower the quality of your product... especially knives.

I have a Browning brand 'Loveless Hunter' made at Seki. Great knife in all respects. Also a Cold Steel 'Master Hunter' with the original Carbon V blade, which I understand in no longer available. Same for the Masters of Defense auto I purchased 20 years ago that the brand has been sold and the current blades are not up to snuff. (Never been worn, sharpened, or cut anything should anyone be interested.)

My last two purchases were Tops knives made in the US. Can't go wrong with a Tops, I don't think.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019, 12:29   #5
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
I read that the Taiwan stuff is actually pretty good, but not quite sure it's at the level Seki knives are.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019, 19:40   #6
partisan50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
Anyone noticed that the early SOG knives made in Seki Japan are selling for high dollar right now? I've seen SOG Tigersharks going for $300-$500. I have several SOGs but never thought they were anything special. SOG Scuba/Demo's and Trident's are selling for even more.
Yes sir, I found that our about a year or so ago. I have one of the original Tridents NIB and a 5th special forces group serial numbered NIB too. Both are supposedly around the $700-1000 range.
partisan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019, 20:05   #7
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Quote:
Originally Posted by partisan50 View Post
Yes sir, I found that our about a year or so ago. I have one of the original Tridents NIB and a 5th special forces group serial numbered NIB too. Both are supposedly around the $700-1000 range.
I have an Al Mar combat knife engraved with the Special Forces patch and the MACVSOG patch that was presented to an old friend of mine when he retired Special Forces. It is stamped Seki Japan at the hilt. Beautiful knife. May not be worth a dollar but I wouldn't take a gold monkey for it.
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote