The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2009, 00:14   #1
Dunk RD
Veteran Member
Sept. 13, 1943 ó May 9, 2010
 
Dunk RD's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 17965
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford, IN
Posts: 1,484
Head spaceing a new DCI receiver

I just started building a new DCI receiver. timed the receiver and then started to head space. started off in the middle of my pins and went down from there to the smallest pin I have of 251. still not even close to closeing. I will end up in the 40's some where. Has anyone else found these receivers to head space this small.
Dunk RD

Also has anyone noticed the type of ejector block in these receivers
__________________
I believe 10% of the people are Human Beings and the other 90% are clones. ( Rob Jennings )

Pray the Lord the gift he give us, to see ourselves as others see us. Oh for many a blunder free us and many a foolish notion ( Robert Burns)
Dunk RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2009, 12:14   #2
johnny.308
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor
 
johnny.308's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 32261
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Der Hafen, Midgard
Posts: 1,162
Mine headspaced (two finger push) at .262 plus .001 for setback, .263 final.
__________________
God bless the American people and keep your powder dry.

"Cry "havoc," let slip the dogs of war."
Marc Anthony, Shakespear's Julius Caesar

"Ignorance can be cured, but stupid is forever and often fatal."
Unknown
johnny.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2009, 22:27   #3
d7cook
Registered
Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 9033
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohhhh High Ohhhhh
Posts: 194
New from the last batch or the recent batch. I did three from the last batch that were from .258 to .262 all with Imbel bolts and bolt carriers. LS hole was .001 too large though. I could push a standard LS in and out with my fingers. Be sure and check that.

I also had a problem with the top of the bolt hitting the inside of the receiver which didn't allow it lock up with any LS until I used a Dremel to remove some material from the receiver. The bolt would not tilt down into lockup. It took me a long time to figure out what was going on!
d7cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2009, 23:30   #4
Dunk RD
Veteran Member
Sept. 13, 1943 ó May 9, 2010
 
Dunk RD's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 17965
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford, IN
Posts: 1,484
head space

cook Recent batch
Yep, same problem here. What was happening is the bolt wasn't going into battery. when I ended up with a 217 head space I knew the problem was some where else. Took the bolt out of the carrier and saw that it wasn't touching the go gage. if I lifted the rear of the bolt it would go into battery but then wouldn't go down on the rails. spent about two hours screwing with it honeing the bolt.
Tomarrow i'll get the dremel out. Doesn't make me real happy with DCI
receivers. And I have 2 more of these to build.
Dunk RD
__________________
I believe 10% of the people are Human Beings and the other 90% are clones. ( Rob Jennings )

Pray the Lord the gift he give us, to see ourselves as others see us. Oh for many a blunder free us and many a foolish notion ( Robert Burns)
Dunk RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2009, 12:54   #5
johnny.308
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor
 
johnny.308's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 32261
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Der Hafen, Midgard
Posts: 1,162
I didn't have the same problem, but I did have other problems. I used an inch bolt and carrier and did not experience the failure to lock up. However I couldn't get the barrel to hand tighten. It would only screw in about half way and seize up even after chasing the threads in both the receiver and on the barrel. I tightened the tap slightly and then the barrel screwed on with no problem except it over timed to 12:30. A shim .007 thick solved the problem and it hand tightened to 11:00. After headspacing I too found the LS holes to be .001 oversize. So I ordered a .2983 LS from Ed Vanden Berg and then found when I was installing it that there was something blocking the hole on the left side. A small ridge was present that appears to have been metal displaced when the ejector block was installed. About 30 minutes of careful filing and fitting removed the ridge and I was finally able to install the LS. Actually I am quite happy with the receiver. The problems I experienced were minor and the cost of the receiver more than made up for the minor inconvenience.
__________________
God bless the American people and keep your powder dry.

"Cry "havoc," let slip the dogs of war."
Marc Anthony, Shakespear's Julius Caesar

"Ignorance can be cured, but stupid is forever and often fatal."
Unknown

Last edited by johnny.308; February 25, 2009 at 13:00.
johnny.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2009, 20:42   #6
Dunk RD
Veteran Member
Sept. 13, 1943 ó May 9, 2010
 
Dunk RD's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 17965
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford, IN
Posts: 1,484
why

Spent a couple more hours today trying to get it to function. A big part of the problem is that the chamber is not in the center of the receiver. Moveing the bolt and carrier slowly as it contacts the gage or a blank it has to slide side ways and a little up for the bolt to slide over the gage. I'm talking about a 32nd
of an inch. I can see the carrier slide side ways with the bolt.
Honeing off a little of the top of the bolt I have it where it will function but I don't feel it is right.
Dunk RD
__________________
I believe 10% of the people are Human Beings and the other 90% are clones. ( Rob Jennings )

Pray the Lord the gift he give us, to see ourselves as others see us. Oh for many a blunder free us and many a foolish notion ( Robert Burns)
Dunk RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009, 13:37   #7
johnny.308
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor
 
johnny.308's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 32261
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Der Hafen, Midgard
Posts: 1,162
Mine is perfectly centered. If I didn't know better I'd say you left the extractor in the bolt and it is rising and moving to the side in order to clear the rim on your blank or go-gauge.
__________________
God bless the American people and keep your powder dry.

"Cry "havoc," let slip the dogs of war."
Marc Anthony, Shakespear's Julius Caesar

"Ignorance can be cured, but stupid is forever and often fatal."
Unknown
johnny.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009, 14:31   #8
d7cook
Registered
Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 9033
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohhhh High Ohhhhh
Posts: 194
Mine may be off center as well. I machined my own headspace gauges to exact case dimensions and I encounter resistance (unrelated to the headspace) in the last 1/8" of bolt travel that I've never understood. This resistance does not exist with an unfired or resized case.

I just adjusted the headspace on my Izzy HB this week and ended up resizing cases of varying headspace lengths to use in lieu of the gauges to avoid this and get an accurate feel.
d7cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009, 20:09   #9
Dunk RD
Veteran Member
Sept. 13, 1943 ó May 9, 2010
 
Dunk RD's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 17965
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford, IN
Posts: 1,484
DCI problems

Well today I stoped on the Imbel.
The three receivers I have are two that are mine Nubers 203 & 204. I also have a customers rec. that is 206 to be built on a nice STG. Timed his barrel
on his receiver and found the same thing. Chamber off center. Bolt will not go into battery.
Thats two out of three. I have one more I am going to build tomarrow and will give a reveiw. If others are haveing these same problems chime in.
Johnny 308 yours may be from a different batch and you lucked out.
For $50.00 difference DSA is a better deal
Dunk RD
__________________
I believe 10% of the people are Human Beings and the other 90% are clones. ( Rob Jennings )

Pray the Lord the gift he give us, to see ourselves as others see us. Oh for many a blunder free us and many a foolish notion ( Robert Burns)
Dunk RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2009, 09:08   #10
richbug
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 10484
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Western PA
Posts: 3,883
You know Dunk, this really isn't the news I wanted to hear. I just got my shipping notice yesterday from Coonan. I am trading a PAC Imbel out for this, I hope I don't regret it.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2009, 09:56   #11
johnny.308
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor
 
johnny.308's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 32261
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Der Hafen, Midgard
Posts: 1,162
"Johnny 308 yours may be from a different batch and you lucked out.
For $50.00 difference DSA is a better deal"


Well, waiting for something that may not be available until after they are banned was not an option. While I had a couple of small problems they were only small bumps in the road, not stoppers. I got number 282 so I don't know if that is from a different batch or not, sounds pretty close to me. Waiting for your next review.
__________________
God bless the American people and keep your powder dry.

"Cry "havoc," let slip the dogs of war."
Marc Anthony, Shakespear's Julius Caesar

"Ignorance can be cured, but stupid is forever and often fatal."
Unknown
johnny.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2009, 00:01   #12
veeklog
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 32007
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 32
Dunk, I have #305, so I am hoping my built wasn't in your batch. I mounted the IMBEL Barrel to the DCI receiver on Tuesday, and except for the normal troubles of not hand tightening to 11 o'clock, not troubles so far. Just lightly filed the receiver face and the barrel shoulder, and it hand tightend perfectly at 11 o'clock. The problem is that after reading this post, I am a little worried that the build won't headspace right when I install the LS, but that is next week. That means I will hold off Duracoating the upper until I install the LS next week.
veeklog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2009, 17:32   #13
Thorgrimm_the_Vain
Registered
 
Thorgrimm_the_Vain's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 27021
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MO
Posts: 1,698
I have had the bolt top clearance problem with an old DCI. Lil Dremelry did it. Still headspaced 2fingers plus on a .254...
__________________
("They are all gone astray, they are no longer clean, all together they have become filthy, there is none that does good, no, not one."Psalm 14:2-3) Those were words spoken of a people who forgot their fathers ways and became lost in the excesses available to them, they listened to and followed the missionaries of their destruction. I reckon they became moderate. - Martin35


"Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you."-George Orwell, 1984


The single most destructive act brought upon us by a traitorous legislature. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigra...ty_Act_of_1965
Thorgrimm_the_Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2009, 21:15   #14
ducknhide
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 41338
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BATAVIA, OHIO
Posts: 39
I have #306 DCI ..The bolt seems to be centered and engage well. My problem is I can't get the receiver to snap together with the lower. Its like it has hinge bind or something. I don't know If I should take meat from the receiver or off of the lower sides behind the hinge pin. Hinge pin goes in fine. I'm new at this game , just trying to prefit my parts.
I have an Imbel Kit and a G1 kit and this problem is present with either lower. I just ordered another DCI receiver . Wonder if this problem will be a reoccuring one ?
__________________
Keep your head down and your boots on
ducknhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2009, 17:09   #15
Ky_FaLfiend
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 28784
Join Date: May 2007
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 60
i have a dsa that took a .250. i barreled it 3 times, 3 differnt barrels & bolt & carriers
Ky_FaLfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2009, 21:00   #16
richbug
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 10484
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Western PA
Posts: 3,883
I got # 460 today, it has a meeting with a 243 barrel tomorrow... time will tell.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2009, 00:25   #17
ducknhide
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 41338
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BATAVIA, OHIO
Posts: 39
Figured out my problem today. Small interference burrs of material where the side plates meet the back stop in the lower. Timed my barrel this morning on my fathers lathe. All parts are currently fitting up nice. Anyone have headspace gauges in the cincinnati area ? I'd like some help. Maybe I could trade with some machine shop services or something .
__________________
Keep your head down and your boots on
ducknhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2009, 00:34   #18
BretShooter
Registered
 
BretShooter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4100
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mission, Montana
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally posted by ducknhide
Timed my barrel this morning on my fathers lathe.
How much did you have to remove to get it hand tight to 10:30?
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
Carpe Jugulum - Seize the Throat
BretShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2009, 22:23   #19
ducknhide
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 41338
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BATAVIA, OHIO
Posts: 39
I took out .006 - .007 off of the shoulder and stoned the end face on the end of the the threads . Mine was clocking in at about 10:00 . This got it closer to 11:00 and it torqued right in nice .
__________________
Keep your head down and your boots on
ducknhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2009, 19:24   #20
richbug
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 10484
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Western PA
Posts: 3,883
#460 had issues with mounting to the lower. I had to reshape it a bit where it goes over the lower near the recoil plate as it wouldn't close. Other than that everything looks good.


Even after that issue is solved, the contour doesn't line up perfectly with that of the recoil plate. The receiver sits .030" or so higher than the corresponding contour on the recoil plate.

Fit is nice an tight on the lower, accuracy should be good.


Functionally it appears to be fine. No test firing yet as I can't find my 243 chamber reamer.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2009, 23:42   #21
Dunk RD
Veteran Member
Sept. 13, 1943 ó May 9, 2010
 
Dunk RD's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 17965
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford, IN
Posts: 1,484
Receiver

Third receiver with the lowest number went together fine. No missalienghment. 1 out of three works great . Retuned the otther two for replacement.
Dunk RD
__________________
I believe 10% of the people are Human Beings and the other 90% are clones. ( Rob Jennings )

Pray the Lord the gift he give us, to see ourselves as others see us. Oh for many a blunder free us and many a foolish notion ( Robert Burns)
Dunk RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2009, 11:24   #22
Ky_FaLfiend
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 28784
Join Date: May 2007
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 60
1 out of 3 not verry good
Ky_FaLfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2009, 21:48   #23
cbr954fz1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 35401
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 1,097
are there anymore updates? i'm thinking of getting a dci but now i'm wandering if i need to shoot for an entreprise or dsa..cbr
cbr954fz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2009, 09:57   #24
ducknhide
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 41338
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BATAVIA, OHIO
Posts: 39
My 2nd Receiver in today . I will pick it up and post problems if any on my 2nd build.
__________________
Keep your head down and your boots on
ducknhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2009, 19:02   #25
wolf359
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 41838
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SOONER NATION!
Posts: 12
I got a chance to look over #477 today. The only obvious thing to me is that the ejector block is about a milimeter too low to install the axis pin. I can drill the block and ream the receiver, but it will be quite awhile before I can finish the gun so I emailed DCI for thier recommened solution for it.
wolf359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009, 20:26   #26
Dunk RD
Veteran Member
Sept. 13, 1943 ó May 9, 2010
 
Dunk RD's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 17965
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford, IN
Posts: 1,484
Replacement

Within a week both receivers replaced and replacements are a OK.
Went together without a hitch
Great people
Dunk RD
__________________
I believe 10% of the people are Human Beings and the other 90% are clones. ( Rob Jennings )

Pray the Lord the gift he give us, to see ourselves as others see us. Oh for many a blunder free us and many a foolish notion ( Robert Burns)
Dunk RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009, 22:36   #27
ducknhide
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 41338
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BATAVIA, OHIO
Posts: 39
Receiver # 478 looks good an is assembling quite well. Threads are quite smooth and the barrel timed perfectly. Hand timed to 10:45 and Torqued right in. ejector block looks good on mine .
__________________
Keep your head down and your boots on
ducknhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2009, 12:10   #28
richbug
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 10484
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Western PA
Posts: 3,883
I finished #460 today, only the minor issue of not locking onto the lower. 2 minutes of file time fixed that.


It runs like a sewing machine.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009, 16:22   #29
boltactionsforever
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 9814
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 81
DCI receiver feed-back

It was rather refreshing to leave the Ak scene and get back to building a FAL..

DCI latest batch, hand timed to 10:30 and everthing when together perfectly with my Imbel kit. Locking shoulder .263, very tight lockup.

I can't say enough about this receiver, very NICE piece! I actually have built on gear logal Imbel receivers with a heck of a lot more issues. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being best) I would put the new batch well into the 8+++ range.

thanks DCI

BAF
boltactionsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009, 17:02   #30
DrDuc
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 3767
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Central Fla
Posts: 204
DCI

BAF,
Is your receiver higher than -485? I just bought 2 of the higher numbers to build a couple of older kits I found in my gun room. I'm trying to get the parts I may need in anticipation of supply problems.
These look OK with minimal burring. The upper seems to lock onto the lowers with no problem. Barrel screws in one easily and the other needs a little encouragement.
My last Imbel was an agrevating build. The barrel stopped on the inner face before the shoulder.
__________________
Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
DrDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009, 19:29   #31
garyd1961
Curio & Relic
Contributor
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 39373
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 3,386
Mine went together with only a minor problem with the locking shoulder hole,the diameter was different from one side of the receiver to the other. garyd1961
__________________
One nation under God.

Last edited by garyd1961; June 26, 2009 at 19:41.
garyd1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009, 19:45   #32
cbr954fz1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 35401
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 1,097
just got done building on 2 dci's. 1 had no issues but the second had the bolt carrier binding and minor locking to the lower issue but all take care of and i hope to test fire them soon..the receiver overall is pretty good...might get 1 more...cbr
cbr954fz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2009, 08:52   #33
nframe
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 42740
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 86
Am I seeing a trend where the newer ones are better or is it just luck of the draw? I just ordered one and they shipped it today to my ffl dealer. I have a crappy Sarco kit,missing parts and no barrel yet.Ihave not decided what bbl. to use yet. This will be my third build, my first was slightly more than ten years ago. Looking back, I didn't know anything then but I got it to work. This forum is a huge help. Also the sarco parts kit has a 1 piece extractor,should I use it or get a 2 piece? thanks
__________________
If the enemy is in range so are you.
nframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2009, 09:50   #34
cbr954fz1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 35401
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 1,097
good luck on the sarco missing parts...i've been waiting for 3 months for mine, even sent them a e-mail w/no response. your gonna have to bite the bullet and buy the missing parts like i did, if your planning to build it this year good luck and do post if you have questions or problems..cbr
cbr954fz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2009, 20:17   #35
Ky_FaLfiend
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 28784
Join Date: May 2007
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 60
hey dunk, i see u from IN, what part of state are u in ?
Ky_FaLfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009, 17:13   #36
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor
 
C-ya's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16313
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southwest MI
Posts: 1,308
Just finishing up a friend's build on a DCI, #538. The only issue so far during the build was we cleaned the rcvr where the barrel screws in just a bit with the dremel. Got her timed up nice with a ratas barrel vise and a homemade rcvr wrench. Headspaced at .255". Just waiting for the locking shoulder to get here to finish it and see if she's ready to test fire.

Rcvr looks good and so far, has gone together nicely. I wish I had the money to get one myself!

BTW: is the DCI website down or is it just me??
__________________
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
US out of the UN!!
UN out of the US!!

Last edited by C-ya; June 15, 2009 at 17:18.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009, 20:07   #37
Ron Walker
Registered
 
Ron Walker's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 35607
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mathis, Texas
Posts: 1,334
I don't like giving ser#s but mine was early in the sale of this last batch and hand timed to 10:45 and took .262 to head space, and works perfectly. Ron
__________________
Skypilot

Liber aut Mort!!

"He's the man we've been taught to hate. He's the solitary American gun nut" Stephen Hunter - Point of Impact
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009, 23:21   #38
Seaweed
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 2736
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Newport, OR
Posts: 1,388
My one and only DCI headspaces at .261-.262, but I can push the locking shoulder in with thumb pressure. Any suggestion as to what size shaft I need? (I tried a few lcs and they all pushed in with the same amount of pressure).
Seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2009, 08:06   #39
garyd1961
Curio & Relic
Contributor
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 39373
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 3,386
Seaweed, you will need an oversized (shaft diameter) locking shoulder. Use the shaft end of drill bits and a caliper to find the size of the hole in the receiver and order order one a thousand larger,or in your case you could measure your old LS and order one a thousand larger.This seems to be a common problem with these receivers. I think gunpartsguy or gunthings has them. garyd1961
__________________
One nation under God.

Last edited by garyd1961; June 16, 2009 at 08:13.
garyd1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2009, 11:25   #40
johnny.308
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor
 
johnny.308's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 32261
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Der Hafen, Midgard
Posts: 1,162
Mine head spaced at .263 and took a .298 shaft size. I got a .263/.298 LS from Ed vanDenburg and he does beautiful work.
__________________
God bless the American people and keep your powder dry.

"Cry "havoc," let slip the dogs of war."
Marc Anthony, Shakespear's Julius Caesar

"Ignorance can be cured, but stupid is forever and often fatal."
Unknown
johnny.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2009, 11:07   #41
sniperdude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 41425
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Redding,Ca
Posts: 7
LS hole .001 big - will order .298 oversize LS.
Canít figure out headspace, closed on Forster .261+1 setback=.262-2=260 pushed undersized .260 LS in bolt wont close. Not sure were the problem is also left extractor on when headspace would that make difference.
Help much appreciated first Fal
sniperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2009, 11:09   #42
Thorgrimm_the_Vain
Registered
 
Thorgrimm_the_Vain's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 27021
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MO
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally posted by sniperdude
LS hole .001 big - will order .298 oversize LS.
Canít figure out headspace, closed on Forster .261+1 setback=.262-2=260 pushed undersized .260 LS in bolt wont close. Not sure were the problem is also left extractor on when headspace would that make difference.
Help much appreciated first Fal
You have to remove extractor before headspacing it definitely will make a difference.
__________________
("They are all gone astray, they are no longer clean, all together they have become filthy, there is none that does good, no, not one."Psalm 14:2-3) Those were words spoken of a people who forgot their fathers ways and became lost in the excesses available to them, they listened to and followed the missionaries of their destruction. I reckon they became moderate. - Martin35


"Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you."-George Orwell, 1984


The single most destructive act brought upon us by a traitorous legislature. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigra...ty_Act_of_1965
Thorgrimm_the_Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2009, 23:01   #43
rwwje
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 2017
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,427
No difference with extractor in place as long as you snap the gauge into the bolt before/as you chamber the gauge. Some folks (including military) grind a relief cut on the extractor rim so that it is easy to chamber the gauge without having to snap it into the bolt of remove extractor (pain in the ass with M-1's/m-14's/m1A's). Unless the extractor is contacting an out of spec receiver extractor cut, the results are the same in my experience.
__________________
Conservatives believe that the people are sovereign, and that the government is subject to the will of the people. Liberals believe that the government is sovereign, and that the people are subject to the will of the government.
rwwje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2009, 01:42   #44
sniperdude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 41425
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Redding,Ca
Posts: 7
Removed extractor doesnít make any difference, but would say it closes more like .260 than .261 requires lots of pressure to close on pins.
LS hole diameter is different from one side of the receiver to the other, LS pushes in by hand until it meets other side and taps in with mallet.
You would think it would have closed on .260 LS if it closed on .261 pin gauge? Watching just bolt without carrier it almost locks in, I did get it to close with carrier after light rap with mallet. After examining operation I donít see interference with top of bolt too receiver. I did notice 2 ridges were top off bolt locks in carrier, should I hone a little?
Confused to witch oversized LS to buy I think .259 would work or would it be too tight for 7.62 ammo?
Looking for best accuracy DSA HB, trigger job, and Free float HG

sniperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2009, 23:20   #45
rwwje
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 2017
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,427
Most mil surp 7.62x51 is made to 1.628"/1.629" headspace. I'm running 1.631" headspace on new L1A1 build with no problems with Pak, SA, and FMN (didn't want to wait on a 0.001" smaller locking shoulder - had to lap bolt/locking shoulder to BARELY "hard" close on 1.630" go gauge before firing - got set back to 1.631" with DSA inch receiver).
__________________
Conservatives believe that the people are sovereign, and that the government is subject to the will of the people. Liberals believe that the government is sovereign, and that the people are subject to the will of the government.

Last edited by rwwje; July 19, 2009 at 15:03.
rwwje is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2012 The FAL Files