The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reviews - products, services, and sellers

Notices

Old March 10, 2006, 09:52   #1
armed1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9057
Wolfsburgbob FAL kits

Got 5 kits from Bob and overall am underwhelmed.

First, it took 3 weeks and 4 phone calls from the time he got my money until I got my kits. Second, I think they were hyped up. "Matching numbers" means that the bolt matches the carrier, those are the only numbers on the kits. Third, on one of the kits the bolt looks like it was chewed up and spit out by godzilla, hardly "best of the best".

I got my WBB kits about a month ago and am writing this review now because I got two more kits from Gunthings yesterday. They went out the same day I ordered them and have better bolts and carriers than the "hand select" one for the same price plus shipping. I'd rather do business with G'things.

A1
armed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006, 12:33   #2
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

FALaholic #: 10737
Re: Wolfsburgbob FAL kits

Quote:
Originally posted by armed1
Got 5 kits from Bob and overall am underwhelmed.

First, it took 3 weeks and 4 phone calls from the time he got my money until I got my kits. Second, I think they were hyped up. "Matching numbers" means that the bolt matches the carrier, those are the only numbers on the kits. Third, on one of the kits the bolt looks like it was chewed up and spit out by godzilla, hardly "best of the best".

I got my WBB kits about a month ago and am writing this review now because I got two more kits from Gunthings yesterday. They went out the same day I ordered them and have better bolts and carriers than the "hand select" one for the same price plus shipping. I'd rather do business with G'things.

A1
A1,

I apologize for your displeasure with this transaction.

I will be glad to issue a FULL refund for the kits you purchased and refund your return shipping charges if you wish upon their return.

1) The issue with shipping time is being investigated. I am sure that it is in small part due to the payment by check. I will examine the causes for this delay as it is unacceptable.

2) If the bolt and carrier do indeed match, I do not understand your displeasure with this issue.

3) As for the "chewing" of the bolt,...that is an unacceptable situation. If you want a replacement for that kit, any or all of the kits, I will be glad to do so.

In closing, please be assured that Godzilla has no access to the FAL rifle kits at any time. On the other hand,..we do have a few MONKEYS that are almost as big as King Kong running around back there.

I WILL have a talk with them.

Please call if I may be of assistance.

Bob

Last edited by wolfsburgbob; March 10, 2006 at 12:41.
wolfsburgbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006, 21:13   #3
firewalker
Registered

FALaholic #: 1016
Moved from vendor section after seeing you respond here.

Bob this week came and went with no Return authorization or call from you. Were on 2 months since I asked you to trade the nonbipod poor condition one for a falfiles primo bipod cut that I ordered early Jan. I think what I got was some of the ammunitionstores bad batch. When we last talked you said you'd take care of it right away. Not the right kit, sorry for the poor condition, etc. "Would l like some pistol grips, anything you want you got it." I said I didn't want anything for free, just what I ordered without a bunch of ying yang. You basically said it would be taken care of top priority. You would send out a p/u ticket and you would send a nice bipod cut right away. I said thanks. Several calls and emails later here we are. Got you on the phone once again a while back and you said I was on the top of the list.
So, here we are, a busy FAL files fan and customer grumbling out on a message board so a vendor might respond and get them what they were sold. Will it work? Maybe. Is it fun? No. Is it productive use of my time? No. Is one kit a big deal? Maybe. Do I like wasting money on less than I was sold? No. Does complaining on the falfiles make it a bigger deal than it should be? Yes.

Moved from vendor section after seeing you respond here.

"3-7-06"
Bob, still nothing. Its been another seven days. How about giving me a call Wednesday afternoon. I'll be leaving on a trip early but should have landed and be situated by then. You said I was on the top of the list of people to take care of so lets get this resolved before you run out of what I ordered. I don't want to be a bitch but ................................. sometimes a feller just wants his loose ends tied up without a bunch of hassle.
Thanks

Alan
firewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006, 21:40   #4
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

Quote:
Originally posted by firewalker
Bob, still nothing. Its been another seven days. How about giving me a call Wednesday afternoon. I'll be leaving on a trip early but should have landed and be situated by then. You said I was on the top of the list of people to take care of so lets get this resolved before you run out of what I ordered. I don't want to be a bitch but ................................. sometimes a feller just wants his loose ends tied up without a bunch of hassle.
Thanks

Alan
Alan,

I am AGAIN sorry that this has happened and that it has continued to remain unsolved. I was under the impression that the internal employee I spoke with this was handling right after you and I last spoke.

Recently my associate told me that with this many kits and this much business I needed to hire more people to help me. He said I should not be inspecting and wrapping kits.

He was partially correct, I shouold handle the PAPERWORK TOO!

I will handle this PROBLEM and all future orders from the PHONE to the INVOICES , the CRATES to the UPS PRINTER and the BROWN TRUCK.

I will call you ASAP.

Alan, again,...I am sorry.

Bob.

PS,...gonna be some real BEEFING done at the Bar-be-que on Monday.

PSS,...EDITED...Alan, Please call me if you can TOMORROW or SUNDAY. I have TWO customers with the same (AB) name! If you are the (AB) gentleman that MAILED in A CHECK,..I think I have have figured out the snafu!

Last edited by wolfsburgbob; March 10, 2006 at 21:53.
Old March 10, 2006, 22:17   #5
Sayeret Tzanhanim
Registered

FALaholic #: 5716
Okay, let's all take a deep breath and give Bob some time to un-**** this for you.
He's a good guy and reliable
ST
"And you shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and you shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place."
Sayeret Tzanhanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2006, 00:53   #6
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally posted by Sayeret Tzanhanim
Okay, let's all take a deep breath and give Bob some time to un-**** this for you.
He's a good guy and reliable
ST
What ST says...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2006, 07:46   #7
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

ST and Forrest,

Thanks for the "vote" of confidence.

Firewalker's concerns are a "genuine" screw-up. Armed1's issues comments are totally new to me and need to be addressed.

We have shipped several hundred kits in the FAL project so far and have had precious few customer issues. The issues have been handled.

The problem with firewalker's purchase lies in the delegation of "mailed orders" and "problem repair" to other parties within the "new" arrangement. Firewalker's order, and several others (Duke's), went right past me in the begining of this project. Checks were cashed, the ten day wait period applied then off to shipping isolation for the order. An unacceptably slow process.

When firewalker's order was processed, he received a kit from the previous batch of FALs sold at the Ammunitionstore by my recently deceased associate. The kit shipped to firewalker was not one of "my" FALs.

I await armed 1's call if he wishes to contact me. This is the first I have heard of his "bolt" issue.

Gentlemen, thanks for your support and THANKS to ALL who have purchased kits from Bobby (Ammunitionstore) and I. The project is on the third hundred sold, and we only have a few thousand to go.

AS always, we will get this handled.

EDITED: to change "departed" to "deceased. I want NO CONFUSION as to which associate I am refering to in this text.

Last edited by wolfsburgbob; March 11, 2006 at 10:53.
Old March 11, 2006, 08:51   #8
firewalker
Registered

Bob,

I called and left you a message restating my address and other pert. info. I hoped I'd get you as you just posted according to the puter. Thanks for replying here. I look forward to getting one of the fal member primo bipod cuts. As for the one I have, I look forward to sending it back.

Alan
Old March 11, 2006, 10:05   #9
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

Quote:
Bob,

I called and left you a message restating my address and other pert. info. I hoped I'd get you as you just posted according to the puter. Thanks for replying here. I look forward to getting one of the fal member primo bipod cuts. As for the one I have, I look forward to sending it back.

Alan
Alan,

Good talking with you this morning. The "new" house's address is recorded, and I will eagry await that "SA" FAL kit's return. I'll THROW it on the correct heap.

Thanks!

PS,...I'll also send pics of the 7.62x54r ammo ASAP!

Last edited by wolfsburgbob; March 11, 2006 at 16:42.
Old March 11, 2006, 18:16   #10
chrsdwns
Registered

FALaholic #: 9846
For what it's worth, the machining on the Chilean Imbels can be kind of rough - they were a emergency rush production order in anticipation of a war. The surface machining in cosmetic, non function critical areas such as the outer surface of the bolt carrier can be a bit rough compared to an Stg-58. No big thing - a few minutes with some sandpaper or a scotchbrite wheel will take care the toolmarks.
chrsdwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2006, 01:37   #11
armed1
Registered

I don't think I got ripped off, my beef is mostly with the slow service and the hype. "Shipping now" to me means that the product is shipped the first business day after the money is received. I sent a PMO and have delivery confirmation of the date. It took nearly 3 weeks to ship from the time the money was delivered. Second, if the product is hyped up as "best of the best", then I expect better than average. I think I got average kits, except for the one bolt which is totally chewed. Third, "hand select" means that each kit is inspected by someone who knows parts kits. The bad bolt I got is what tells me that what I got was not "hand select" as anyone could see that this bolt was beyond acceptable. I'm not talking tool marks here, this thing was run over by a tank or something. I will think about returning the bolt and carrier for an exchange, but I honestly don't want to wait another month to get my stuff back.

I'm not asking for explainations, I'm simply posting an honest review of the product and service I personally received. Take it as you will.

I can take pictures of the bolt if anyone wants to post it for me, as I don't have priveleges. Although, I should become a contributor again as W'Bob is supposed to make a donation to the files in my name since I bought kits from him.
Old March 12, 2006, 06:02   #12
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

Quote:
Originally posted by armed1
I will think about returning the bolt and carrier for an exchange, but I honestly don't want to wait another month to get my stuff back.

Armed 1,

I appreciate your business and I am very sorry that you have a problem with the bolt. There is no questioning of your issue with the bolt. I could have "missed" one!

It appears that your timetable as it applies to you is the only important issue here. Why do you expect next day service in shipping, something that due to the enormity of the project nobody receives, then proceed to complain ONE MONTH AFTER you receive the kits.

I do not expect you to be able to inspect all product in THREE DAYS like many other vendors, I'll be glad to satisify your concerns ONE MONTH ... AFTER ... you received your kits.

Sir,...Your post here was the first I have heard of this issue. If you want a refund at 110% value with all shipping chargeds added, or a replacement of your kits and refund of your return shipping charges,...I am ready.

As for your continued "jabs" about my product quality, my hype, and the timetable,...I am hearing "other" motivation.

With regrets,

Bob
Old March 13, 2006, 13:50   #13
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul at Gunthings.com
armed1,
We're glad you were satisfied with the prompt shipping and the condition of the Imbel kits you received from Gunthings.com
Thank you and regards,
Paul and Brad
Gunthings.com
I KNEW THIS WAS SOME KIND OF PRACTICAL JOKE!.....

Thanks for taking the "lid" off of this,..It seemed just way TOO ODD!

PS,...You "MINNESOTA TWINS" are JUST A GAS!
Old March 13, 2006, 19:44   #14
Sayeret Tzanhanim
Registered

FALaholic #: 5716
okay...
so I'm a little obtuse. Was this a prank?

Paul, why'd you feel it necessary to promote your biz on this thread? With all your thumbs-up reviews it would seem you wouldn't need it. I've heard great stuff about your service but I give you a big thumbs-down in the judgement category.
Just my opinion
"And you shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and you shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place."
Sayeret Tzanhanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006, 21:50   #15
armed1
Registered

Okay, that's enough!

Listen kids, this thing is really getting out of hand and I never intended for that. I just wanted to post a review. So as the starter of this thread I would like to officially bring it to a close. Bob has made several offers to replace the bolt and refund my money and I am willing to accept that as a gesture of good will and consider the issue corrected.

I had nothing to do with Paul's post, I am not involved in any conspiracy or prank and do not want to start a flame war. I will continue to do business with A'store AND G'things as I think they are both fine businesses. I will make no additional posts on this thread and have no further input. Now I need to go duct tape my head in case it explodes.

THE END
Old March 13, 2006, 22:16   #16
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricketts
You know, this is one of the top 10 classless things I've seen here in a while.

Goody.

This is not relevant on this thread.
I agree...

As one who has purchased stuff from both Bob and from Brad/Paul (and one who has been happy with what I've received from both), I'm left wondering what the purpose of your post here was/is, Paul...

Eh?

Forrest
Old March 14, 2006, 16:29   #17
Paul at Gunthings.com
Registered

FALaholic #: 2424
Wolfsburgbob is an honest man and an all around good guy. In this case it appears he's bending over backward to solve a problem and try to satisfy a customer. In his initial post, armed1 mentioned Gunthings.com. In my previous post (which I deleted) I was simply responding to the comments made by armed1. I didn't say anything good, bad or indifferent about Bob. I certainly wasn't trying to stick a finger in his eye.
No practical joke here Bob, at least not as far as I know.
Paul at Gunthings.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2006, 18:01   #18
Ricketts
Registered

FALaholic #: 3418
Thanks Paul. I certainly appreciate your clarification, and I am sure others do too. I will delete my posts now that this has been cleared.
Old March 15, 2006, 01:26   #19
ftierson
Registered

I'd like to know what happened to a couple of posts here that have been deleted, including one of mine that I did not delete...

Forrest
Old March 16, 2006, 05:14   #20
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by ftierson
I'd like to know what happened to a couple of posts here that have been deleted, including one of mine that I did not delete...
I'd still like to know...

What happened to mojo's post (which he may have deleted himself for all that I know) and my post partially responding to his (which I know that I didn't delete)...? And a couple of others...

Forrest
Old March 16, 2006, 11:30   #21
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
The Goderator, SWMBO or Ted probly rolled through, moderated and cleaned up a domestic squabble before it spilled out into the street.

Last edited by Mebsuta; March 16, 2006 at 11:36.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2006, 03:09   #22
mojo_matic
banned - trolling marketplace

FALaholic #: 12363
I did not delete my post. FALfiles has to protect their valuable vendors, regardless of the vendor's ethics (apparently "ethics" is a VERY grey area, and one which SHOULD NOT be discussed in public) ...not unlike any other gun board. No big deal.
mojo_matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2006, 09:03   #23
Goderator
SILENCE! I Kiiiiil You!

FALaholic #: 1
Mojo is trolling and any trolling and responses to it were removed.

Mojo, to the best of our knowledge has had NO business dealings with wolfsburgbob and therefore as he is not involved, is trolling. Simple as that.

Mojo has been asked, repeatedly, to stop trolling and has failed to do so which is why he is now banned.

Reviews are welcome, period. There is no gray area. Trolling is not and someone posting reviews who has not had any transactions with the vendor IS TROLLING.
Goderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2006, 08:34   #24
firewalker
Registered

Bob, I got that return slip in the mail. The box is safely taped up and will go out soon. Thanks for getting it to me. I will post some good news when that nice one arrives and hopefully finish this thread off. I can't believe that there is another me out there. Since he is in FL maybe we could swap houses for a week in the summer?
Old March 20, 2006, 12:41   #25
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

Quote:
Bob, I got that return slip in the mail. The box is safely taped up and will go out soon. Thanks for getting it to me. I will post some good news when that nice one arrives and hopefully finish this thread off. I can't believe that there is another me out there. Since he is in FL maybe we could swap houses for a week in the summer?
Yes,..HE IS OUT THERE,...and HE IS REAL!

He is a GOOD CUSTOMER like you and also like you he is a great guy to chew with. I will tell him of this "confusion" as he is calling to order a Yugo from me this Friday.

I will NOT ship his YUGO to you,...and VISE VERSA!

AB(2), We await the return of your "SA" kit!

Regards,

Bob

PS,..I think this thread, or at least some of the posters, has been FINISHED for a LONG TIME!

Last edited by wolfsburgbob; March 20, 2006 at 12:46.
Old March 20, 2006, 13:06   #26
Temp
Registered

FALaholic #: 10384
I don't know any of the parties involved, but I thought I'd step in to say something about Imbel kits in general.

Those of us who have been playing with these rifles for a while know what to expect from an Imbel kit, generally speaking.

For the most part, they're in very good mechanical condition and the bores of the barrels are excellent,... but they're ugly. The finish will be mostly gone and the furniture will be various degrees of "rough".

That's why there's people on here who specialize in doing park jobs on them,... and that's why so much aftermarket furniture is available for them.

All of this "matching number" nonsense, as applies to kits guns, is a joke. Hell,.... I've got FAL's which contain parts from 3 different continents. The numbers don't mean diddly squat on a parts gun. It's never going to be a collector's item.

Dan used to sell Imbel kits in 3 grades. Grade 1 was pretty much a new rifle which had been demilled. Grade 3 was a good servicable kit which needed some cosmetic work.

It's safe to say that most kits out there today would fall into "grade 3" status, by Dan's grading system. You might get lucky and find one which would rate towards the lower end of "2",... but it's not going to happen very often.

To sum up, if your desire is to have a pristine example of a FAL, you can make one from the Imbel kits which are available,... but you'll need to be realistic,... and you'll need to spend some time and money on cosmetics.

People who have been playing with these rifles for a while understand that.
Among the worst aspects of the collapse of traditional conservatism is that my children will grow up in a world in which vulgar and belligerent nationalism will be presented to them as the alternative to leftism.
Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2006, 15:08   #27
moses
One of the original 400
Contributor

FALaholic #: 392
Best shootin FAL I have is a non matching # kit
moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2006, 15:14   #28
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

Quote:
Originally posted by Temp
I don't know any of the parties involved, but I thought I'd step in to say something about Imbel kits in general.

Those of us who have been playing with these rifles for a while know what to expect from an Imbel kit, generally speaking.

For the most part, they're in very good mechanical condition and the bores of the barrels are excellent,... but they're ugly. The finish will be mostly gone and the furniture will be various degrees of "rough".

That's why there's people on here who specialize in doing park jobs on them,... and that's why so much aftermarket furniture is available for them.

All of this "matching number" nonsense, as applies to kits guns, is a joke. Hell,.... I've got FAL's which contain parts from 3 different continents. The numbers don't mean diddly squat on a parts gun. It's never going to be a collector's item.

Dan used to sell Imbel kits in 3 grades. Grade 1 was pretty much a new rifle which had been demilled. Grade 3 was a good servicable kit which needed some cosmetic work.

It's safe to say that most kits out there today would fall into "grade 3" status, by Dan's grading system. You might get lucky and find one which would rate towards the lower end of "2",... but it's not going to happen very often.

To sum up, if your desire is to have a pristine example of a FAL, you can make one from the Imbel kits which are available,... but you'll need to be realistic,... and you'll need to spend some time and money on cosmetics.

People who have been playing with these rifles for a while understand that.
Temp,

A BIG +1!

I am in FULL agreement on all issues as you have stated them.

With one additional comment......

In the ads I state that NUMBERS MATCH,...I DO NOT STATE ANY IMPORTANCE! ( or lack of it.)

The ONLY reason I mention "NUMBERS MATCHING" is that you would be suprised to know that 70% or MORE of the calls I get for these kits mention NUMBERS MATCHING as their FIRST CONCERN!

I explain that with the "upper receiver" now gone through de-mil, and all true mating surfaces disturbed,...this "NUMBER MATCH" issue is purely cosmetic!

After all of that,...THEY STILL REQUEST...MATCHING NUMBERS!

It may not be an issue with OLD FALers, and it is not a legitimate build issue,...but it IS an issue with most of the NEW people who buy these kits.

It may not be important,...but it is NO JOKE!

FRANKENFAL-A-QUE!

Thanks,

Bob
Old March 20, 2006, 16:29   #29
ftierson
Registered

Although I have a couple of StG-58 kit guns built on Imbel receivers that were built from brand new, matching number StG-58 kits that are great shooters, the most accurate FAL that I own is a complete mutt gun (StG-58 lower with Israeli type wood buttstock, Imbel receiver, Argentine open-eared barrel, inch bolt, FN metric bolt carrier, Israeli HB handguards, etc., etc...

Matching numbers are not important when building FAL rifles...

However, matching numbers are important when building AK kit guns. In order that the original headspacing is not disturbed, the front trunion, bolt and bolt carrier (or, at the very least, the trunion and bolt) should have the same number unless you plan to adjust the headspace anyway... In terms of building the gun, the other numbers are irrelevant...

Forrest