The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old September 24, 2004, 07:06   #1
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Amost WECSOG'ed a Para cut

So on my drive home from work yesterday I was scheming on how to get a para cut in my receiver since I'd found that MSC was out of cutters (you filthy FALers hogged them all up, didn't you?). It had occurred to me that my Lyman case trimmer sort of looked like a counterbore cutter with interchangeable pilots. Probably too small OD though. So I checked:

19/32 cutter = .59375
Case trimmer cutter = .590

9/32 pilot = .28125
case trimmer pilots = .27 cal, 30 cal

Hmmmmmmm. Dare I? Could I be so bold? What would the neighbors say? Fortunately, I was unable to disassemble the case trimmer. While trying to get it apart some sense started to trickle back into my brain. It's probably not intended for anything but non-ferrous metals, and I'd probably ruin my case trimmer as well as the receiver.

Byron
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2004, 07:36   #2
BRM308
Registered

FALaholic #: 32
Yur're probobly right. Besides the pilot is too small. You need a much closer fit. Otherwise the pilot bounces around inside the hole and you get a lot of chatter marks.
BRM308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2004, 08:12   #3
Mouse
Registered

FALaholic #: 4983
Re: Amost WECSOG'ed a Para cut

Quote:
Originally posted by ByronF
So on my drive home from work yesterday I was scheming on how to get a para cut in my receiver since I'd found that MSC was out of cutters (you filthy FALers hogged them all up, didn't you?). Byron
Well that ain't exactly true.......
I ordered the cutter & pilot from them yesterday.

I called MSC yesterday and talked to a really nice lady (Rose ext. 4168) and she took a bunch of time and called their suppliers while I was on the phone. She found an import supplier that had the cutter and another that had the pilot. She ordered them both for me, then found out that they supply an American made cutter for about 10.00 more and gave me that one for the import cutter price!
She is super nice and went out of her way for me, give her a call and see if she can take care of you!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2004, 02:04   #4
Radio
Registered

FALaholic #: 263
MSC is a first-rate company, I'd send ANYBODY there.

Don't order their Big Book catalog, going thru that thing and looking at all the goodies is as addictive as crack!!

--Radio

"You seem to fantasize about me a lot. Maybe you should tell your boyfriend? He could dress up like me or something." --K.O.A.M., November 9th, 2009

"You're better off hoping she don't miss, it's quicker that way." --ce, December 15, 2009
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2004, 09:14   #5
Rich@CGW
Registered

FALaholic #: 167
Quote:
Originally posted by Radio
MSC is a first-rate company, I'd send ANYBODY there.

Don't order their Big Book catalog, going thru that thing and looking at all the goodies is as addictive as crack!!

--Radio
Aint that the truth.. that Big Blue Book can be lethal on a credit card.
Old September 30, 2004, 10:13   #6
ByronF
Registered

I broke down and ordered the MSC parts. As always, prompt delivery and no hassles. I made the para cut that night without a hitch. As stated before, one must turn down the pilot so it'll fit the piston rod hole. Simply chucked it up in the dremel and pinched it with some fine sandpaper until it fit.

I used a hand drill with a drill extension. It would have been easier if the receiver had been clamped in a vice but I made due. Some things I noted:

1. The cutter wanted to grab on a protrusion on the left side of the cut when starting out. I blended the edge with a dremel and it went much smoother.

2. Take it very slow until you get the thing cutting most of a circle. My drill has a high and low speed setting (in addition to the infinitely variable trigger). Re-lube regularly with cutting fluid and get rid of chips.

3. There is a reason the cheap drill extensions have a warning that says DO NOT USE WITH DRILL PRESS. You can be seriously maimed by one of these drill extensions if it gets bent while spinning in a press. The centripital force may cause even a small wobble to bend way out, removing as much flesh and bone as you care to feed it. There was a safety flash here at work about a guy at another plant who was killed while setting up a machine with a dial indicator and rod. He had a dial indicator clamped to a ~18-24" rod, which was in turn clamped in the chuck. He was slowly rotating the chuck to measure his runout I guess, and stopped while leaning in to read it accidentally hit the wrong button. The chuck started turning at a decent speed and the offset mass of the dial indicator pulled the rod out of true. The operator was flailed in the head by the rod as it folded out at a 90-degree angle from the axis of the chuck. I'm sure there is a proper hardened extension one can use with a press or a mill. A $5 piece of soft steel isn't it.

4. If you have a receiver that required some fudging with the piston rod hole to get it to cycle freely you may have problems using a piloted counterbore cutter. A pilot will only hold true in a properly located circular hole. You may have to use a C/B cutter without a pilot, fixturing the receiver in a clamp.

Byron
Old September 30, 2004, 11:05   #7
nordland
Registered

FALaholic #: 10388
Has anyone posted pics of a para cut receiver?
I have never seen one....
nordland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2004, 12:41   #8
Mouse
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by ByronF
I broke down and ordered the MSC parts. As always, prompt delivery and no hassles. I made the para cut that night without a hitch. As stated before, one must turn down the pilot so it'll fit the piston rod hole. Simply chucked it up in the dremel and pinched it with some fine sandpaper until it fit.

I used a hand drill with a drill extension. It would have been easier if the receiver had been clamped in a vice but I made due. Some things I noted:

1. The cutter wanted to grab on a protrusion on the left side of the cut when starting out. I blended the edge with a dremel and it went much smoother.

2. Take it very slow until you get the thing cutting most of a circle. My drill has a high and low speed setting (in addition to the infinitely variable trigger). Re-lube regularly with cutting fluid and get rid of chips.

3. There is a reason the cheap drill extensions have a warning that says DO NOT USE WITH DRILL PRESS. You can be seriously maimed by one of these drill extensions if it gets bent while spinning in a press. The centripital force may cause even a small wobble to bend way out, removing as much flesh and bone as you care to feed it. There was a safety flash here at work about a guy at another plant who was killed while setting up a machine with a dial indicator and rod. He had a dial indicator clamped to a ~18-24" rod, which was in turn clamped in the chuck. He was slowly rotating the chuck to measure his runout I guess, and stopped while leaning in to read it accidentally hit the wrong button. The chuck started turning at a decent speed and the offset mass of the dial indicator pulled the rod out of true. The operator was flailed in the head by the rod as it folded out at a 90-degree angle from the axis of the chuck. I'm sure there is a proper hardened extension one can use with a press or a mill. A $5 piece of soft steel isn't it.

4. If you have a receiver that required some fudging with the piston rod hole to get it to cycle freely you may have problems using a piloted counterbore cutter. A pilot will only hold true in a properly located circular hole. You may have to use a C/B cutter without a pilot, fixturing the receiver in a clamp.

Byron
I made my cut a couple of nights ago and Byron is spot on!
Go slow and use plenty of fluid, the whole thing took maybe 10 minutes.
Old September 30, 2004, 12:46   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Any recommendations on the cutting fluid?

I have the tools you described for the para cut. But, I don't have any cutting fluid.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2004, 13:37   #10
ByronF
Registered

I used thread cutting fluid. It's whatever the hardware store had for sale. Any hardware store that handles black iron pipe and plumbing supplies ought to have some of one brand or another. Not sure if mine was the best or the worst but it allowed the cutter to last through at least one para cut.

P.M. me if you can't find any. I can probably find a little bottle that will survive USPS.

Byron
Old September 30, 2004, 14:59   #11
ByronF
Registered

Just in case anybody missed it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

I made my cut a couple of nights ago and Byron is spot on!
I never grow tired of reading that. Bump for vanity.
Old September 30, 2004, 16:28   #12
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
I assembled my para on an Imbel receiver and made the "para cut" in my garage. I found that my dremel fit the channels of the upper just right to make the cut. I forget which bit I used, but it turned out to function as well as any. It is not as good looking as the others I have seen, as I at first left too much material toward the top of the receiver for the para cover to fit, and had to make another cut. Of course you can only tell if you pull the bolt and cover and look closely.

I was just toooo impatient at the time to have it cut by someone else or order the correct bits.
Sig220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2004, 19:44   #13
vmtz
Contributor

FALaholic #: 1125
Quote:
Originally posted by gary.jeter
Any recommendations on the cutting fluid?

I have the tools you described for the para cut. But, I don't have any cutting fluid.
Motoroil works just fine.

Vince
vmtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2004, 22:06   #14
FWRA
Registered

FALaholic #: 24
Pictures of a receiver cut for the topcover?

Here's one....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnum para cut cropped.jpg (65.2 KB, 367 views)
FWRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2004, 22:30   #15
nordland
Registered

FALaholic #: 10388
Thanks for The nice Pic....FWRA...
Has some milling also been done down where the bullets feed into the chamber....?...polished feed ramps?
nordland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2004, 10:51   #16
coltrunner
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7113
What catalog part number do you order from MSC. They got so much stuff I dont know where to begin and I know I will write down a dozen other things I dont need while searching.
Thanks in advance.
coltrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2004, 12:51   #17
Mouse
Registered

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=120699

Try this thread, it should tell you what you need to know.
Old October 01, 2004, 13:55   #18
coltrunner
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7113
Thanks Mouse.
Called MSC and will get early next week. That was easy
coltrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2004, 21:54   #19
FWRA
Registered

FALaholic #: 24
Quote:
Originally posted by nordland
Thanks for The nice Pic....FWRA...
Has some milling also been done down where the bullets feed into the chamber....?...polished feed ramps?
Nothing special with feed ramps...standard Imbel fare. Maybe you are used to seeing Century feed ramps?

Sorry....couldn't resist.

FWRA
FWRA is offline   Reply With Quote