Registered

FALaholic #: 2910
website

no, you really need to call him.
Old April 03, 2004, 00:16   #43
edblevi
Registered

FALaholic #: 3802
Well I have my upper and parts there with Vern as we speak as well. I'm getting the .308/.223/50 Beo, so in any case this will be very interesting. I am looking forward to getting this bad little boy back, big time!!!!
Old April 05, 2004, 22:34   #44
FWRA
Registered

FALaholic #: 24
Quote:
Originally posted by edblevi
Well I have my upper and parts there with Vern as we speak as well. I'm getting the .308/.223/50 Beo, so in any case this will be very interesting. I am looking forward to getting this bad little boy back, big time!!!!
Mines leaving for Ohio on Wed. I'll post a bunch of closeup pictures when this bad boy comes home!

YAHOO!

Looks like I got a whole lot of test firing to do very soon....

FWRA

I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. 'Don't complain about growing old - many, many people do not have that privilege.'
Earl Warren (1891 - 1974), Chief Justice

Old April 06, 2004, 10:16   #45
DayWalker
Registered

FALaholic #: 9434
I didn't see any mention if the barrels are chrome-lined or not. Can anyone shed some light on that?

DW.
Old April 06, 2004, 10:24   #46
meeper
Registered

FALaholic #: 2264
Most of the caliber conversion barrels are turned from blanks. They are not chrome lined. A few of the .308 barrels are chrome lined.
Vern
Old April 06, 2004, 10:29   #47
DayWalker
Registered

WOW! Thanks for the quick answer.

Just to show my ignorance I will ask another question. How is the chrome lining added to barrels?

DW.
Old April 06, 2004, 12:32   #48
meeper
Registered

I don't know, must be magic. I think it is a hard electro plating process but I don't how they just get it on the inside of the barrel.
Vern
Old April 06, 2004, 21:09   #49
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by meeper
I don't know, must be magic. I think it is a hard electro plating process but I don't how they just get it on the inside of the barrel.
Vern
Well, I can add nothing to the chrome lined barrel question, but regarding "must be magic"?

You just described your FAL caliber conversion Vern!

It MUST be magic the way you get these fine conversions in the hands of diehard Fal-a-holics like me.

meepermeepermeepermeepermeepermeepermeepermeeperme epermeeper

(There's that darned subliminal advertising again!)

The FTC will probably be knee deep up my a** now.............

FWRA

I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. 'Don't complain about growing old - many, many people do not have that privilege.'

Old April 06, 2004, 22:14   #50
DayWalker
Registered

Vern,

I talked with you Monday afternoon about a conversion and stated that I would like to use sten mags for my 9mm conversion. However, I think I would prefer HK HK94 straight 30 rounders. Can you make a magwell adapter for this mag or does it need to be sten? Thanks.

DW
Old April 07, 2004, 09:28   #51
birdman
Registered

FALaholic #: 489
I think this "Conversion Option" is truly amazing! ...but I AM still a little bit cornfused on what is required by me. Lets say I wanted to do the following:

I want to have a 16" .308 stainless short-gassed carbine barreled receiver turned into a "Quick Change" version. I ALSO want an additional 9mm QC barrel option added. Here are my questions:

(1) Do I send my carbine-barreled receiver to the "Meeper Man" and he does everything from there?

(2) Do I have to come up with an extra bolt and carrier for the 9mm version?

(3) Is accuracy affected by way of this QC configured barrel?

(4) Is the .308 QC barrel option limited to "standard .308 FAL barrels" or can custom, aftermarket barrels be done this way also (i.e., big, fat bull barrels or match barrels)?

Bird

P.S. I applaud Meeps' innovation!!
Old April 07, 2004, 10:17   #52
P 51 Jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 8505
What kind of pistol grip is on Mr Meepers rifle? It looks skinnier at the top, I want one!!!!!
Old April 07, 2004, 23:02   #53
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by birdman
I think this "Conversion Option" is truly amazing! ...but I AM still a little bit cornfused on what is required by me. Lets say I wanted to do the following:

I want to have a 16" .308 stainless short-gassed carbine barreled receiver turned into a "Quick Change" version. I ALSO want an additional 9mm QC barrel option added. Here are my questions:

(1) Do I send my carbine-barreled receiver to the "Meeper Man" and he does everything from there?

(2) Do I have to come up with an extra bolt and carrier for the 9mm version?

(3) Is accuracy affected by way of this QC configured barrel?

(4) Is the .308 QC barrel option limited to "standard .308 FAL barrels" or can custom, aftermarket barrels be done this way also (i.e., big, fat bull barrels or match barrels)?

Bird

P.S. I applaud Meeps' innovation!!
Hi Bird,
Best answers I can give you from talking to Vern a bajillion times about this stuff...(and remember I'm an Old Fart and my memory is pretty much shot) are:

(1) You could send your carbine barreled receiver to Vern for the conversion...BUT, he'd have to pull the barrel and install his threaded thingamajig (where the collar attaches the barrel). Then proceeds with the collar and barrel conversion.

(NOTE: You'd be better off sending him a bare FAL receiver of your choice and send him your barrel to convert. You'll also need all the upper receiver parts as well as the required US parts.

(2) Actually I believe an extra bolt is required for the 9mm conversion and the same carrier is used on the .308. Or you could do what I did and just send him 4 complete bolts and carriers and let him perform his magic on them. I just told him to keep what he doesn't use. You'll also need a DSA shorty handguard set.

(3) Accuracy does not suffer with this QC system. I'll do a comprehensive test fire/accuracy test when mine gets here and I think you will all be surprised at the results. (of course...Vern is a much better shot than me. I'll let someone who IS a great shot help me with the accuracy test phase.)

(4) Yes, a brand new match grade barrel could be installed. Vern installed two new barrels on my QC system. One on the 7.62x25 and another on the .223. He chambers them in his shop. I'm sure he could do a new bull barrel to your specs as well.

If any of this is wrong...I'm sure Meeper will let us know. (or Sparky who's had one for quite some time now) I think I'm pretty close though.

Meeper is definitely an innovator Bird, but so are you. Your custom FAL stock would be PERFECT for this FAL QC system!

A bow to two great innovators!!

FWRA

FWRA

Old April 07, 2004, 23:23   #54
FWRA
Registered

Here would be one sharp Meeper conversion:

Compliments of an old Birdman sale.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birdman.jpg (52.3 KB, 1011 views)

FWRA

Old April 08, 2004, 20:11   #55
FWRA
Registered

My Meeper conversions are scheduled to arrive here tomorrow. First chance I get I'll post closeup pictures of these conversions like you've never seen before.

Vern? Kelly told me you are sick and I sure hope you recover soon.

Thank you VERY much!

Mark

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; April 08, 2004 at 20:36.
Old April 10, 2004, 08:53   #56
FWRA
Registered

MEEPER FWRA Quick Change FAL Caliber Conversion System- AN OVERVIEW

My Meeper conversion arrived yesterday. The finish on these conversions is superb...deep black and evil looking. The new barrels were each carefully shrink wrapped (he must have used a 6' piece on each barrel! ) and arrived in perfect condition. The complete upper and lower assemblies were each shrink wrapped as above and it took me a good 30 minutes to unwrap these parts. I appreciated Vern's excellent packing and everything was perfect! Absolutely the finest packaging I've ever seen!

Vern also e-mailed me to call him when I received my conversion. When I called him he gave me detailed instructions on switching each caliber and went over every detail of mag adapters, bolts, carriers.....he covered everything and I took notes so I wouldn't forget anything. (this quick change system is really a "no brainer" for the most part) Once everything was unwrapped, I snapped together the upper and lower assemblies and started practicing my barrel changes. This system is WAY COOL!

Vern sent me two mag adapters (one for the 7.62x25 and one for the .223/.50 Beowulf. These both use USGI M16 mags) and a box of Alexander Arms .50 Beo in 325gr jacketed hollowpoints. The included barrels are (top to bottom in the first picture below) 7.62x25, .223, .308 and .50 Beowulf. Also included were 4 bolts (all marked for caliber) and 2 carriers. One standard metric carrier to be used for all bolts but the 7.62x25. (which uses it's own customized carrier. That 7.62x25 carrier has a built up "nub" to keep the bolt at the proper height when it's installed in that carrier)

Here's a short explanation of the four calibers:

7.62x25:

This one requires it's own bolt/carrier as described above and is a blowback....it requires no gas tube or gas piston and utilizes a Buffer Technologies recoil buffer to cushion the bolt when it cycles. It also has it's own mag adapter to use PPS-43 mags and one was included in my parts pack. The 16" barrel is a new barrel that was machined and chambered by Vern and the gasblock and front sight parts were re-installed on that one using one of the four used barrels I supplied just for that purpose. (I sent him 4 shot out barrels from various Fal's as "donor" barrels for the conversions) The bolt for this caliber is marked "FWRA" and "7.62x25".

.50 Beowulf and .223 (these two calibers both use M16 mags and the Meeper M16 mag adapter. They also use a special "hold open" with a longer roll pin for the M16 mags. This hold open is installed when shooting these two calibers. These calibers also use the special Meeper customized short gas piston pictured below in the complete caliber package shown there. (I forgot to include the special recoil buttstock spring in that photo) These two also use a shortened recoil buffer spring that must be installed in the buttstock when shooting these two calibers.

Nothing special here. Uses the standard gas piston and the standard .308 bolt I sent him for that caliber. He used a barrel with excellent bore for this one!

I wont have a chance to test fire this for awhile because of family commitments this holiday weekend but will do so when I have some free time. I'll take it to my local indoor range and test fire the system at 25 yards with longer range testing to be done as weather and time permit.

I'm including photos of the .50 BEO being installed so you can see how these barrels index and headspace. (the 7.62x25 is blowback of course)

And to Meeper (Vern Smith)....thank you VERY MUCH for this excellent system and the quick service, and for answering all my dumb questions. You sir are truly the John Browning of the new milenium! This is one fine caliber conversion system.

NOTE: Vern test fired every caliber in this system extensively. Not just 20 rounds either...he tested them at great length until each worked flawlessly. Quality and customer satisfaction is "job one" at Horse Power Firearms!

Calibers show below...top to bottom...7.62x25, .223, .308 and .50 Beowulf:

FWRA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meeper conversion-four calibers.jpg (37.2 KB, 955 views)

FWRA

Old April 10, 2004, 08:57   #57
FWRA
Registered

A picture of the .50 ready to go....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 beo carbine-1.jpg (18.0 KB, 930 views)

FWRA

Old April 10, 2004, 08:58   #58
FWRA
Registered

More to come when time permits.

FWRA

Old April 10, 2004, 09:05   #59
masman
Registered

FALaholic #: 781
now you need to get some ppsh drums
Old April 10, 2004, 09:42   #60
FWRA
Registered

Here's the complete 7.62x25 carbine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 762x25 carbine-1.jpg (27.8 KB, 925 views)

FWRA

Old April 10, 2004, 09:44   #61
FWRA
Registered

Here's a series of pictures showing how the barrels index and install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrel install panarama.jpg (32.7 KB, 1275 views)

FWRA

Old April 10, 2004, 09:46   #62
FWRA
Registered

This one shows the cartridges in the bolts.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 bolts-cartridges.jpg (47.0 KB, 1265 views)

FWRA

Old April 10, 2004, 09:48   #63
FWRA
Registered

Bolt faces...

l-r.....308, .50 Beo, .223
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolts-308-50-223.jpg (46.3 KB, 1258 views)

FWRA

Old April 10, 2004, 09:52   #64
FWRA
Registered

The upper receiver threaded adapter....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chamber-keyway.jpg (29.7 KB, 1249 views)

FWRA

Old April 10, 2004, 18:40   #65
sear
Registered

FALaholic #: 6407
is that interface machined new or is it machined from a shot out barrels stub?
"To the blind, the ignorant,the apathetic, the safe and sheltered,these may seem to be concerns of another age.They Are Not. They are as vital as they ever have been through history. For times may change but human nature does not.And it is to protect forever against the evil in human nature that the Founding Fathers set aside certain rights as inviolable."

author unknown
Old April 10, 2004, 19:52   #66
meeper
Registered

Straight off the Haas.

Old April 10, 2004, 23:41   #67
sear
Registered

FALaholic #: 6407
mmm..drool...nuthin` like a batch of freshly machined parts
"To the blind, the ignorant,the apathetic, the safe and sheltered,these may seem to be concerns of another age.They Are Not. They are as vital as they ever have been through history. For times may change but human nature does not.And it is to protect forever against the evil in human nature that the Founding Fathers set aside certain rights as inviolable."

author unknown
Old April 11, 2004, 14:21   #68
Falfegnügen
Registered

FALaholic #: 4275
Hmmm...just studying this awesome conversion, really nicely done I might add, but I was still just wondering "why?". Then it hit me like a huge foundation stone from the Giza pyramid: When re-barrelling, You would never ever have to worry about leaving off the handguard ring! Just think of all the cuss-words we could save!!!
Old April 11, 2004, 20:22   #69
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Falophile
Hmmm...just studying this awesome conversion, really nicely done I might add, but I was still just wondering "why?". Then it hit me like a huge foundation stone from the Giza pyramid: When re-barrelling, You would never ever have to worry about leaving off the handguard ring! Just think of all the cuss-words we could save!!!
Absolutely true Falophile! But the real beauty of this conversion (in my eyes) is the fact that with one Meeper FAL upper and the matching barrels, you now have 4 calibers (in my case) that you can change over in about 30 seconds for the most part. I can enjoy the old military standby .308 caliber as well as 7.62x25, .223 and .50 BEO in a single day at the range and only tote one case to do it. (true..in my case that one is a big monster! It's a double sided Winchester aluminum rifle case at 20#'s empty.) Much easier than toting 4 complete FAL's and all the paraphenalia they entail.....

Once I get my barrel switching skills honed and get comfortable with my Meeper conversion I should be able to switch from .308 to 7.62x25 in a matter of less than 30 seconds. I'll chew up a ton of surplus 7.62x25 out of that gem of a carbine and it will be my CZ52's best friend.

Yep....Vern you have a winner here! Thanks again for this fine quick change caliber system custom built for the best battle rifle ever invented......the venerable FN FAL. I guess that's the real answer to the question..."Why?"

FWRA

FWRA

Old April 11, 2004, 20:42   #70
FWRA
Registered

Here's another panarama shot of this conversion.

First one is the .50 BEO with maga adapter installed in the magwell and a cartridge below.

Second one shows the huge .50 bore.

The third shows a wide view of one of the conversion barrels. These all have new machined 4140 steel threaded collars installed on every barrel.

Finally....number 4 shows the "male" connection that indexes on the slot in the receivers threaded adapter.

FWRA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panarama-files-2.jpg (51.7 KB, 1160 views)

FWRA

Old April 11, 2004, 20:46   #71
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by masman
now you need to get some ppsh drums
Good question masman!

Vern? Can this 7.62x25 mag adapter take any drum mags? I forgot to ask you that question...here in Ohio we are stuck with 30 round mags so it's just a hypthetical question.

SHAMELESS PLUG for Meeper

Oh...and just in case these pictures really got you excited about this conversion, here's contact info for Vern. (Meeper)

Contact info for Vern Smith: (also posting here as "Meeper")
(NOTE: Vern is a complete gunsmith and does far more than just build these fine quick change caliber conversions. He's a journeyman machinist and does FAL, AK work, and refinishing to name just a few. Contact him for any and all gunsmith needs)
HPF Gunsmithing
3889 West 3000 North
Benson,UT 84335
435-753-0663

E-MAIL: HORSEPOWERFARM@PCU.NET

FWRA

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; April 11, 2004 at 20:53.
Old April 11, 2004, 21:20   #72
FWRA
Registered

Regarding the Meeper .50 Beowulf conversion for the FAL....

Question....

"Does this cartridge have any "real world" value in the FAL?"

I found this article on Ian Skennerton's web page....

5.56mm NATO on the way out?

Many specialists have long contended that the 5.56mm 'poodle shooter' does not have a sufficiently heavy bullet. After all, it was primarily a political decision. The recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq have shown the 55gn or whatever bullet not heavy enough to stop a determined attacker. So the U.S. is now playing around with a 6.8mm calibre on the same case length as the current 5.56mm round. Reminiscent of the move away from .38 to .45 ACP in the Philippines when it was found that the lighter pistol bullet did not stop hopped-up Moro tribesmen. History repeats itself, that's for sure.
And speaking of heavier bullet ammunition, President Karzai's bodyguard is being armed with a special .50 cal. bullet on a blown out 5.56mm length case for use in a specially adapted M16. This new .50 calibre 'Beowolf' round with 350gn bullet at 2,000 fps is fired through a specially modified M16 carbine, ported so that there is little muzzle blast, recoil or flash, intended for the close-range urban environment typical of presidential protection.

This caliber may be kinda cool in an AR15/M16 platform........but in a FAL? KILLER!

Check out Ian's website at :

http://www.skennerton.com/archive1.html

Lots of Enfield info and other good stuff...

FWRA

Old April 11, 2004, 23:10   #73
RogerN
Registered

FALaholic #: 1333
I'd say this is one talented gent. I wonder if he has ever been approached about an M16/AR15 mag adapter for Valmet rifles......sure would make having a Valmet 76 a lot more fun. Any thoughts?

Last edited by RogerN; April 14, 2004 at 21:37.
Old April 11, 2004, 23:34   #74
Falfegnügen
Registered

FALaholic #: 4275
Quote:
Originally posted by FWRA

Absolutely true Falophile! But the real beauty of this conversion (in my eyes) is the fact that with one Meeper FAL upper and the matching barrels, you now have 4 calibers.... Much easier than toting 4 complete FAL's and all the paraphenalia they entail..... I guess that's the real answer to the question..."Why?"

FWRA
Actually, I was just being silly about the handguard collar. I really do see a lot of merit to this system. Especially with the diverse cartridges like the .50 Beowulf and win 243. Cartridges/calibers for which there is no established and proven autoloader platform, unlike the .223, 7.62x39 and 9mm,. And, I also see what could potentially be an even better reason for this system: If one had an NFA registered FA receiver, well... it pretty much exponentially increases the practical fun-factor to a completely higher level!
Old April 14, 2004, 21:32   #75
FWRA
Registered

A shameless bump for the Master.

FWRA

Old April 21, 2004, 23:34   #76
FWRA
Registered

Time for another bump for one fine conversion system.

Here's another shot of my new .50 Beowulf carbine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a!-50 beowulf carbine.jpg (38.0 KB, 1076 views)

FWRA

Old April 22, 2004, 17:02   #77
masman
Registered

FALaholic #: 781
so have you shot it yet? im really curious about the 7.62x25
Old April 23, 2004, 01:01   #78
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by masman
so have you shot it yet? im really curious about the 7.62x25
Sure did and what cycled I had a ball. The culprit was my ARMS mount which I fixed by Dremeling of the backplate and now it runs flawlessly. No accuracy test yet...just a 2 mag blastoff! Way cool so far!

FWRA

Old April 23, 2004, 08:18   #79
DayWalker
Registered

FWRA -

can you be more specific about the problem you had with your mount? I am waiting for my reciever so I can send all items to Vern for a .223, .308, and 9mm conversion and would like to get a headstart on potential problems.

DW
Old April 25, 2004, 00:13   #80
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by DayWalker
FWRA -

can you be more specific about the problem you had with your mount? I am waiting for my reciever so I can send all items to Vern for a .223, .308, and 9mm conversion and would like to get a headstart on potential problems.

DW
You'll have no problems if you send everything to Vern including the ARMS mount. He'll test fire and tweak whatever is necessary and your conversion will be flawless.

I didn't follow that advice and that's where I developed problems. I fixed it myself though and all's well.

FWRA

FWRA

Closed Thread