The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Marketplace

Notices

Closed Thread

Old March 18, 2004, 22:52   #1
FWRA
Registered

FALaholic #: 24
Meeper (Vern Smith) FAL caliber conversions revisited..(bunch of pics. Updated 4-10)

I get a lot of questions from members about these fine quick change caliber conversions for our beloved FAL, and many can't seem to find the info they need.

Therefore, to make it a bit easier, here's a pictorial of the many postings of Meeper regarding his FAL quick change caliber conversions. I've also cut and pasted some of his comments from those posts.

This will make it easy for members to see it all in one place without having to search through many dozens of bits and pieces of Meepers posts to figure it all out. These quick change caliber conversions are flawless performers and are changeable from caliber to caliber in about 30-45 seconds.

Contact info for Vern Smith: (also posting here as "Meeper")
(NOTE: Vern is a complete gunsmith and does far more than just build these fine quick change caliber conversions. He's a journeyman machinist and does FAL, AK work, and refinishing to name just a few. Contact him for any and all gunsmith needs)
HPF Gunsmithing
3889 West 3000 North
Benson,UT 84335
435-753-0663

And by popular demand, here is the pricing Vern posted here on one thread.

This is an old price list so call Vern to update. This old Meeper post is dated July 2003! Also, changes made.....no longer do the pistol calibers require another receiver!

Quote:
meeper
Gold Contributor

FALaholic # 2264
July 25, 2003 12:12 Post #8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The prices are as follows:
Large caliber conversions
Using your parts.
Convert to .308 Q-change first one. $150.00
Each additional barrel $75.00
Add for short gas system $25.00
9mm conversion $300.00
Other calibers available:
22-250
22-308

Price to convert these are the same as the above except for the price of the barrrel blank and labor to turn to Fal configuration. I usually price on an indivdual basis. No one seems to want the same thing. There are no receiver mod on the above conversions.

We also offer medium caliber conversions.
7.62x39
5.45x39
We offer them with AR or AK mag option. AK is highly recomended if using 7.62x39. The prices are the same as above except you have to have a mag adapter also. There are slight receiver mods on these conversions.

We will not convert any Fal without having the receiver!!! (except 9mm)
As of yet we are not offering large caliber and med caliber conversions in the same receiver.
I hope this answers your questions. Vern
And in Meeper's response to one members questions about "why"...and another member chimes in to offer his take on it :

Quote:
knievel
Contributor

FALaholic # 7835
August 07, 2003 01:44 Post #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No attempt at a flame here. I just don't understand the purpose of taking a main battle rifle and trying to chamber it in a handgun caliber, or 7.62x39, or whatever. Doesn't that make it fundamentally not what you originally liked it for? Just curious.

Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic # 101
August 07, 2003 07:59 Post #5

I assume that the purpose is mostly for fun and profit.

And Meeper response........

Quote:
meeper
Gold Contributor

FALaholic # 2264
August 07, 2003 18:17 Post #11

Damn, that's a pretty good question. I've never used a Fal for defense and hope I never have to. I don't really do much hunting. I don't use a FAL in my line of work. I do change alot of Fal's from .308 to about any other caliber. As for doing it for profit. HA HA I have spent almost 5 times the money on Fal parts and R&D than I have made off converting calibers on Fals.
So I guess it comes down to I enjoy doing it. It's quite fun to go shooting and shoot 6 differnt calibers from the same rifle. You get quite the looks not to mention the questions.
Changing calibers gives you so much flexibality in one rifle.
I guess it comes down to I like to shoot. I like different calibers. And I like the Fal. To have all three you need to change calibers in the Fal.
Vern

Now to the Meeper quick change caliber conversion pictorial. ENJOY!

Number 1 is the .308 9mm quick change conversion:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9mm-308 conversion system -july 2nd 2003.jpg (43.8 KB, 3775 views)

FWRA

I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. 'Don't complain about growing old - many, many people do not have that privilege.'
Earl Warren (1891 - 1974), Chief Justice

Last edited by FWRA; April 26, 2004 at 23:59.
Old March 18, 2004, 22:54   #2
FWRA
Registered

Number 2

The .308 conversion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 308-july 2nd 2003.jpg (43.2 KB, 3744 views)

FWRA

I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. 'Don't complain about growing old - many, many people do not have that privilege.'

Old March 18, 2004, 22:57   #3
FWRA
Registered

Number 3 is the 9mm conversion...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9mm stick mag-july 2nd 2003.jpg (15.5 KB, 3846 views)

FWRA

Old March 18, 2004, 23:02   #4
FWRA
Registered

Number 4 is the .50 Beo conversion....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meeper 50 beowulf-mag adapter and mag.jpg (15.1 KB, 3821 views)

FWRA

Old March 18, 2004, 23:03   #5
FWRA
Registered

Number 5 is the .45acp conversion....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45acp fal.jpg (23.4 KB, 4009 views)

FWRA

Old March 18, 2004, 23:08   #6
FWRA
Registered

Number 6 shows the different quick change barrels in a myriad of calibers...

(this list is outdated now. He also offers 7.62x25 and a host of new calibers like 10mm, .50 Beowulf and more)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fal barrel configs oct 2003.jpg (23.7 KB, 3890 views)

FWRA

Old March 18, 2004, 23:12   #7
FWRA
Registered

Number 7 shows some cool PPS-43 magazines showing the pistol rounds loaded.....
(he makes a magwell conversion for these that can be easily removed for standard .308 mag loading in that .308 conversion)
9x19, 9x23, 7.62x25 and .45acp....in no specific order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pps-43 mag in 4 calibers-9x19-9x23-762x25-45acp.jpg (32.9 KB, 3759 views)

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; March 18, 2004 at 23:50.
Old March 18, 2004, 23:14   #8
FWRA
Registered

Number 8 shows a bunch of FAL magwell adapters in a variety of magazines....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magwells for different calibers.jpg (32.2 KB, 3594 views)

FWRA

Old March 18, 2004, 23:25   #9
FWRA
Registered

Number 9 shows a .223 conversion....
(thanks to terral...this is his .223)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terrals 223.jpg (32.4 KB, 3716 views)

FWRA

Old March 18, 2004, 23:30   #10
FWRA
Registered

Many thanks to Vern Smith for developing this FAL quick change caliber system. I hope you enjoyed this pictorial!

Call Vern for details and pricing for the quick change caliber conversion of YOUR dreams!

I have a quick change caliber system in the works in .308, 7.62x25, .223 and .50 Beo (Beowulf) and the parts are in Verns hands just today.

Thanks Vern!

FWRA

FWRA

Old March 19, 2004, 00:23   #11
FWRA
Registered

Forgot....

Vern doesn't ONLY work on FAL's.

Here's an AK in .50 Beowulf.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 beo ak.jpg (20.9 KB, 3824 views)

FWRA

Old March 19, 2004, 00:42   #12
FWRA
Registered

Look real close at this one it is a finished receiver casting. Notice it is sectioned in the mag well area. The bolt and bolt carrier is also shortened.

(see the other pictures in this sequence)

This is Vern's personal FAL and not for sale. This project took him 3 months to complete. This is NOT an option available to us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished receiver casting-1.jpg (29.0 KB, 3486 views)

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; March 20, 2004 at 18:47.
Old March 19, 2004, 00:43   #13
FWRA
Registered

Another shot...same rifle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished receiver casting-2.jpg (23.8 KB, 3458 views)

FWRA

Old March 19, 2004, 00:44   #14
FWRA
Registered

Now field stripped...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished receiver casting-3.jpg (25.2 KB, 3436 views)

FWRA

Old March 19, 2004, 00:45   #15
FWRA
Registered

And finally, the shortened bolt and carrier. Now THAT is gunsmithing!

OH.....and to all you current Meeper quick change owners.....please feel free to post pictures here. Closeups of the threaded conversion thingie and any other closeups showing how it hooks together would be cool and help other members to understand just how this magical system works.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished receiver casting-shortend bolt carrier-4.jpg (30.8 KB, 3437 views)

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; March 19, 2004 at 00:59.
Old March 19, 2004, 01:48   #16
MudBug
Registered

FALaholic #: 13187
I posted in one of Rhineland1's threads saying that he should consider the 7.62x25 because it just seemed like a logical choice for a conversion, it looks like meeper beat him to it. Hopefully I'll be able to afford one soon.

MMMM 7.62x25 on a para stock w/ 16" barrel goodness, that kinda makes me tingle.
Old March 19, 2004, 18:26   #17
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by MudBug
I posted in one of Rhineland1's threads saying that he should consider the 7.62x25 because it just seemed like a logical choice for a conversion, it looks like meeper beat him to it. Hopefully I'll be able to afford one soon.

MMMM 7.62x25 on a para stock w/ 16" barrel goodness, that kinda makes me tingle.
Makes me tingle too MudBug. The thought of .223 Timbs ammo rocketing out of a 16" Fal barrel at over 2300 fps is enough to get anyones blood boiling.

The 7.62x25 conversion is what got me started on this Meeper conversion quest.

FWRA

FWRA

Old March 19, 2004, 18:57   #18
splattermatic
"THUG" MODERATOR

FALaholic #: 2223
hey mark,
trying to piece the cost here together.... ???
whats the total to get one just like an original as pictured below in 223 ?
trying to justify it, when funds become available, so i can keep this one in the safe ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4800 jpeg edited.jpg (57.3 KB, 3460 views)

i miss you cubby 10-10-08
kim, thanks for being my friend.
Old March 19, 2004, 19:01   #19
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by splattermatic
hey mark,
trying to piece the cost here together.... ???
whats the total to get one just like an original as pictured below in 223 ?
trying to justify it, when funds become available, so i can keep this one in the safe ..
Ya got me Mark. Best to call Vern to see about pricing for the different options. Just a .223 straight build might not set you back too much. I'm sure he does fixed barrel .223's too.

FWRA

Old March 19, 2004, 19:05   #20
masman
Registered

FALaholic #: 781
Quote:
Originally posted by FWRA

The thought of .223 Timbs ammo rocketing out of a 16" Fal barrel at over 2300 fps is enough to get anyones blood boiling.

The 7.62x25 conversion is what got me started on this Meeper conversion quest.

FWRA
please post a range report as soon as you get that bad boy up and running.7.62x25 is the only pistol round i have and it would be awsome to shoot that out of a rifle.
Old March 20, 2004, 09:24   #21
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by masman

please post a range report as soon as you get that bad boy up and running.7.62x25 is the only pistol round i have and it would be awsome to shoot that out of a rifle.
Will do masman. I'll do a complete range report on all 4 conversions as soon as they get in my hands. I'll do a 4 caliber range report in one day with a photo spread and all. I will also include closeup photos of the quick change process so everyone can see just how these actually work.

Vern has my parts as we speak.

If any current Meeper owners can post closeup photos here of the receiver adapter showing how the barrels hook up...that would be cool too.

FWRA

FWRA

Old March 20, 2004, 09:59   #22
FWRA
Registered

For you 7.62x25 lovers...

Go here for super ammo from Quality Cartridge company:

http://www.owlnet.com/quality/index.html

(not the cheapes out there but the only company specializing in hi performance ammo for the CZ52. Great ammo! They will also give you quotes on any custom loads you desire.)

FWRA

Old March 25, 2004, 15:18   #23
edblevi
Registered

FALaholic #: 3802
Well I finally got all my parts together and I think I made my final decisions. I was gonna go with the 10mm caliber conversion, but then FWRA got me thinking on the .50 BEO. Then I started thinking about it as well and reading up. I think I will be going for the .308, .223 and .50 BEO. This way I have just one mag conversion to go through. I could add the 10mm, but that's one more mag conversion and then mags, etc... FWRA, if you don't mind shoot me a PM and let me know what the "round about" price of your whole conversion is going to be. It really comes down to having enough money! The reason being, I also have another reciever that I am going to do the AK conversion (7.62, 5.45 and 5.56) with and I know that will set me back about $800+. But wow what a combination I will have when both are done. I am sure I will be "satisfied" for a few months at least!
Old March 25, 2004, 20:51   #24
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by edblevi
Well I finally got all my parts together and I think I made my final decisions. I was gonna go with the 10mm caliber conversion, but then FWRA got me thinking on the .50 BEO. Then I started thinking about it as well and reading up. I think I will be going for the .308, .223 and .50 BEO. This way I have just one mag conversion to go through. I could add the 10mm, but that's one more mag conversion and then mags, etc... FWRA, if you don't mind shoot me a PM and let me know what the "round about" price of your whole conversion is going to be. It really comes down to having enough money! The reason being, I also have another reciever that I am going to do the AK conversion (7.62, 5.45 and 5.56) with and I know that will set me back about $800+. But wow what a combination I will have when both are done. I am sure I will be "satisfied" for a few months at least!
Hi edblevi!

You made a fine choice there but best to call Vern for your final price. Each option has a direct bearing on price so talking to Vern (Meeper) is your best bet.
No two conversions are ever exactly the same.......believe me. Vern's doing some different stuff for me.

FWRA

FWRA

Old March 25, 2004, 21:16   #25
bigant
Registered

FALaholic #: 11598
Mark,

Where are you going to get your ammo for the 50beo from? Are you going to reload? Since I think I found a place that sells the stuff for around 20.00 a box and midwayusa is going to start to carry it soon too.

Bigant

Mi Papa` 1943-2008
Old March 25, 2004, 21:41   #26
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by bigant
Mark,

Where are you going to get your ammo for the 50beo from? Are you going to reload? Since I think I found a place that sells the stuff for around 20.00 a box and midwayusa is going to start to carry it soon too.

Bigant
Hi Anthony.

No reloading for this Old Fart. I'll buy commercial ammo from Vern and wherever else I can find it. I also have a friend right down the street from me with a gunshop that sells it.

A buck a round? Worth every cent!

FWRA

FWRA

Old March 27, 2004, 02:43   #27
Kaliburz
Registered

FALaholic #: 13959
Wow....
Old March 27, 2004, 07:21   #28
HatchetJoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 5838
Is he still offering a .223 conversion utilizing the USGI M16 type lockup? Does anyone know?
Old March 27, 2004, 08:15   #29
jerrymrc
Registered

FALaholic #: 2331
Vern offers both the AR and AK style of lock up for .223. When I spoke with him last all of the conversions are now quick-change.

He likes the short gas system also. Mine should be leaving next week if I can get everything together. Alot of people seem to be lowballing this and I think it is fair to say that if you supply all the parts the cost will be $500+
over that for one conversion.

If you pick your calibers so you only use one (or none) mag adaptor then the cost of 2 drops alot.

So lets take a look at where Im at: Fal Kit. $165
DSA Hanguards. $ 50
WAC Upper. $150
DSA lower. $100
US Stock. $ 40
Conversion. $500?

This is for a .223 Conversion using AK mags. All in all I think this is a very small $$ amount for the work that goes into one of his creations.
Old March 27, 2004, 09:53   #30
FWRA
Registered

Yep. .223 is either M16 mag with removable adapter, or with AK mags with fixed adapter. If your conversion is 5.45x39, 7.62x39 and .223 then AK mags are the only ones that work reliably and Vern uses those with the receiver altered for that fixed adapter.

That's why you have to call Vern for pricing. Many different options and many different calibers.

Regarding lowballing the pricing, I really haven't seen pricing mentioned other than his original pricing (old) and that's why I stressed calling Vern for a quote.

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; March 27, 2004 at 10:01.
Old March 28, 2004, 05:34   #31
J-Man
Registered

FALaholic #: 13510
So, I kinda get how these barrels attach. Two questions however:
One, what kind of accuracy can one expect with this system since barrel to receiver fit is basically slip-fit.
Second, and most important, is since the barrel slips in wouldn't headspace be affected if it doesn't go in absolutely perfect? A couple thou' would make a difference and all it would take is a little carbon or dirt or something to prevent the barrel from seating all the way. I don't see a problem with this system with guns that have a bolt to barrel lockup but the FAL locks up with the receiver. I guess I'm just wondering how headspace can be maintained?
Old March 28, 2004, 07:31   #32
meeper
Registered

FALaholic #: 2264
I think I'll let the guys that have these answer that one.
Vern
Old March 28, 2004, 15:46   #33
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by meeper
I think I'll let the guys that have these answer that one.
Vern
And in my case that will just be about two weeks.

I'll take some close up photos for all to see how these barrels fit. These have a keyway and the collar has a flat for tightening down the final 1/4 turn or so with a wrench to insure perfect fit. There are a bunch of these out there and I wish other owners could post some pictures.

Right Vern? At least I think that's right....

You'll all get to see my conversion set from every closeup imaginable and accuracy? You'll get that report first hand too.

Fal conversions....yep, Vern has done a bunch. He's also done conversions you never hear about as well. But I'll leave that for Vern to talk about. Seems another member here has a unique Meeper conversion that works like a dream.

Vern? You sir are an genius when it comes to caliber conversions.

FWRA

FWRA

Old March 29, 2004, 04:53   #34
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Meeper is the man. He did my Galil switch barrel conversion in 7.62 X39mm, 5.45 X 39mm and of course the original caliber, 5.56mm.

Here is the link to my rifle on Valmet-Weapons web page.

SAKO M92 CLONE (GALIL) SWITCH BARREL

Old March 29, 2004, 04:54   #35
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor

More pictures of Meeper's work
Old March 29, 2004, 04:55   #36
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor

More pictures

Old March 29, 2004, 04:58   #37
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor

Rifle uses standard AK-47, AK-74, and Galil mags. It can also use AR-15 mags if you have the Galil AR-15 mag adaptor (I do).

Old March 29, 2004, 07:11   #38
FWRA
Registered

Hi Hector,
Vern told me about your Galil conversion and it was the one I alluded to when I mentioned the "other" conversion.

Very nice!

Thanks for the photos.

Mark

FWRA

Old March 29, 2004, 09:54   #39
Falboy
Registered

FALaholic #: 9
Accuracy and reliability have been excellent in the last year I've had mine.
Old March 30, 2004, 00:11   #40
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Falboy
Accuracy and reliability have been excellent in the last year I've had mine.
Hi Falboy,
Can you share pictures?
Closeups of the quick change barrel hookup would be most appreciated. What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Thanks!

FWRA

FWRA

Old March 30, 2004, 17:17   #41
jimbeam
Registered

FALaholic #: 7203
Does meepers have a website?
Old March 30, 2004, 19:58   #42
Ken
Registered

FALaholic #: 2910
website

no, you really need to call him.
Old April 03, 2004, 00:16   #43
edblevi
Registered

FALaholic #: 3802
Well I have my upper and parts there with Vern as we speak as well. I'm getting the .308/.223/50 Beo, so in any case this will be very interesting. I am looking forward to getting this bad little boy back, big time!!!!
Old April 05, 2004, 22:34   #44
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by edblevi
Well I have my upper and parts there with Vern as we speak as well. I'm getting the .308/.223/50 Beo, so in any case this will be very interesting. I am looking forward to getting this bad little boy back, big time!!!!
Mines leaving for Ohio on Wed. I'll post a bunch of closeup pictures when this bad boy comes home!

YAHOO!

Looks like I got a whole lot of test firing to do very soon....

FWRA

Old April 06, 2004, 10:16   #45
DayWalker
Registered

FALaholic #: 9434
I didn't see any mention if the barrels are chrome-lined or not. Can anyone shed some light on that?

DW.
Old April 06, 2004, 10:24   #46
meeper
Registered

Most of the caliber conversion barrels are turned from blanks. They are not chrome lined. A few of the .308 barrels are chrome lined.
Vern
Old April 06, 2004, 10:29   #47
DayWalker
Registered

WOW! Thanks for the quick answer.

Just to show my ignorance I will ask another question. How is the chrome lining added to barrels?

DW.
Old April 06, 2004, 12:32   #48
meeper
Registered

I don't know, must be magic. I think it is a hard electro plating process but I don't how they just get it on the inside of the barrel.
Vern
Old April 06, 2004, 21:09   #49
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by meeper
I don't know, must be magic. I think it is a hard electro plating process but I don't how they just get it on the inside of the barrel.
Vern
Well, I can add nothing to the chrome lined barrel question, but regarding "must be magic"?

You just described your FAL caliber conversion Vern!

It MUST be magic the way you get these fine conversions in the hands of diehard Fal-a-holics like me.

meepermeepermeepermeepermeepermeepermeepermeeperme epermeeper

(There's that darned subliminal advertising again!)

The FTC will probably be knee deep up my a** now.............

FWRA

Old April 06, 2004, 22:14   #50
DayWalker
Registered

Vern,

I talked with you Monday afternoon about a conversion and stated that I would like to use sten mags for my 9mm conversion. However, I think I would prefer HK HK94 straight 30 rounders. Can you make a magwell adapter for this mag or does it need to be sten? Thanks.

DW
Closed Thread