The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 17, 2004, 20:55   #1
meeper
Registered

FALaholic #: 2264
Pics Fal in .50 cal, 10mm, and AK in 50 cal

Here are some pics of some new Q-change calibers for Fal .50 cal and 10mm. There is also a pic of AK chambered in .50 cal. They all have just gone thru test firing. Probably could use some refinishing.

Last edited by meeper; March 07, 2004 at 12:16.
meeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2004, 22:01   #2
FWRA
Registered

FALaholic #: 24
Very nice Vern.

Is a FAL in .50AE possible as well?

FWRA

I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. 'Don't complain about growing old - many, many people do not have that privilege.'
Earl Warren (1891 - 1974), Chief Justice

FWRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 01:08   #3
Brdpraey
Registered

FALaholic #: 8254
im probably gonna look dumb for this but .............
how can i get me a conversion and barrel for mine............ of course i may have to purchase another fal ................or a ........oh hell how can i make me one
oh yea.........whats the effective distance and how much willi cost
Old February 18, 2004, 02:07   #4
The Armour
Registered

FALaholic #: 10778
You SIR are my Hero, I aspire to be as good a FAL/AK smith as thee! I love the 10mm FAL And the .50cal AK, both are on my build list for this year. How about letting me in on the mags for those? I guess the 10mm uses PPSh 41 mags, but what about the .50 AK? Is it a standard AK74 mag or something else? I need to know because I am going to a show this weekend and figured I would stock up for these wonderful creations. I have an excellant STG kit put away and it will definitely be coming to you when $$ permits for a quick change system in 10mm, and my long awaited favorite 7mm-08. I think I will try and build the AK myself as this is my new found hobby of the moment. I have been bending my own homemade receivers lately and they are looking pretty good, I even did a few in stainless steel. I may however need to purchase a .50 barrel from you to finish the project. Please send me a pm with your contact info so we can talk. Thanks Vern for the inspiration.
The Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 05:08   #5
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6
QUITE handsome Vern. I wonder what I'm doing w/ a few spaer US$.............

Honey, I have a new 'wish list!'

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II
1*
EMDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 06:10   #6
edblevi
Registered

FALaholic #: 3802
Regardless that it is chambered for the .50 Beuwolf, now I know what the 5.56 would look like in a FAL. Looks pretty good! I need to get this ball rolling. Talk to you soon Meeper.
edblevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 08:37   #7
Stranger
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3555
I must say that meepers must be the John Browning of our time. His ingenuity is astounding.

My hat is off to you, sir.
Old February 18, 2004, 09:25   #8
RS39
Registered

FALaholic #: 5655
"Is it a standard AK74 mag or something else?"
Looks like a Weiger E Ger 5.56 AK mag, 4 for $60 from IO, sold as SAR3 mags. Tough as any other AK mag also.
RS39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 09:33   #9
Hellion Productions
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4517
I want a Meeper creation so bad it hurts...

The PAIN!!!

Best,
John Bear Ross
Hellion Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 09:33   #10
2ndssnco
Registered

FALaholic #: 6432
Sweeeeeeet

Two questions: how much and when? I wanted to get a .50 beowulf AR but if I can get it in a FAL, all the better.
2ndssnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 11:33   #11
v188
Registered

FALaholic #: 1154
I must stop looking at Meepers posts. Stop the Madness. I can't afford a new addictiion.

It's looking good! Esp the 50.
Old February 18, 2004, 14:19   #12
Mad Dog 7.62
Registered

FALaholic #: 4815
Those are too cool....

I dunno quite about comparing Meeper to JMB, but he definitely has some great ideas and the skill to put them into practice.
MD
Old February 18, 2004, 15:15   #13
meeper
Registered

As far as I can determine I only have one thing in common with John Browning. We are both from Utah,but thanks for the good words.
Vern
Old February 18, 2004, 16:10   #14
Tec 9
Registered

FALaholic #: 1163
Very classy looking mag adapters. Nice work.

take care,
Tec
Tec 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2004, 21:51   #15
littlehoot
Registered

FALaholic #: 11432
VERN IS DA MAN! good lookin stuff there bud.
Old February 19, 2004, 22:39   #16
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
Hey Vern, I've got a project I'd like to have you tackle. Do you work with C3 stuff? I have a registered FN FAL that I don't use in .308. How about a switch barrel in .223, 7.62x39, .45ACP, and 9mm? Might as well get the most use out of it.

I'd like the .223 to use Bulgarian waffles, the .45ACP to use Thompson mags, and the 9mm to use Swedish K mags. The 7.62x39 will use AK mags, of course(unless you want the topcover from an RPD and some belts,......hint).

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2004, 23:43   #17
FWRA
Registered

OK Vern. I'll ask the 64 dollar question.

Can the pictured .50 FAL be purchased? No need for refinishing however and the e-mail I sent you will explain just why.

Mark

FWRA

I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. 'Don't complain about growing old - many, many people do not have that privilege.'

Last edited by FWRA; February 19, 2004 at 23:51.
Old February 20, 2004, 10:16   #18
diana1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9206
Mark! DSA is working on the Beowlf .50 for there FAL and AR-15's. No timeline on them but down the road? Will have out soon 6.8x43mm.AR. Jeff
diana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2004, 20:30   #19
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by diana1
Mark! DSA is working on the Beowlf .50 for there FAL and AR-15's. No timeline on them but down the road? Will have out soon 6.8x43mm.AR. Jeff
Thanks Jeff!

However, I still prefer the custom FAL builds that Meepers offers as well as the conversion features. DSA=quality for sure, but Meepers IS the John Browning of the Fal conversion and a genius in my eyes. I really lean towards custom guns versus factory in most cases.

Also, in an AR type big bore Tony Rumore (Tromix) makes the finest custom built models on the planet. His big bores in .50AE are stunning and run flawlessly. Anything less than .50AE in an AR does nothing for me. (just my feelings on that issue.) His .458 SOCOM Monster has to be seen to be believed:

Quote:
458 SOCOM Monster Sledgehammer -
The Tromix Monster Sledgehammer is NOW AVAILABLE!. The Monster fires a .458 SOCOM round, designed by Marty ter Weeme of Texas. It will launch 300grain bullets at over 2100 fps, [ 500grain bullets over 1350 fps] all from your standard AR-15 lower receiver. This powerhouse puts out nearly 3,000 foot pounds of energy, about the same as a 30'06, but employs a .458" diameter bullet to boot.
Clearly the MOST POWERFUL Sledgehammer ever.

The 458 SOCOM turns your .223 mouse gun, into a portable piece of field artillery capable of dispatching even the largest beasts around the world. But the best reason to own a Tromix .458 SOCOM is simply because it is extremely invigorating to shoot and will entertain its user like no other AR-15 has in the past.

Still, I'll take Meeper's FAL system in a big bore and add some smaller calibers at a later date. This IS The Fal Files.

FWRA

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; February 20, 2004 at 20:46.
Old February 20, 2004, 23:15   #20
Skilter
Registered

FALaholic #: 1021
Ohhhh to have one of those .458 SOCOM rifles.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
--------------------------------------------
M 7:7-14 tells you all you need to know.
Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2004, 23:27   #21
Skilter
Registered

FALaholic #: 1021
But I would rather have a Shorty FAL in .458 SOCOM... hint hint.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
--------------------------------------------
M 7:7-14 tells you all you need to know.
Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2004, 00:45   #22
edblevi
Registered

Vern, we spoke on the phone today. You said I needed to get two additional gas blocks for the barrels, and I wondered if these would work on a metric barrel? L1A1 Gas Block Front Sight Housing. If not do you have any idea as to where I could get good priced spare parts (gas block and metric bolts and carriers)? Anything else I need? Well of course Carbine handguards, but DSA is the only place I know for those. Thanks
Old February 21, 2004, 01:22   #23
The Armour
Registered

Hey Vern, what kind of gas block/front site base is that on your .50 AK? Next, where can I get one? I am digging up the parts as we speak to start on that Bad Boy. Also, how much would you charge me for a barrel turned and ready to install? I could do it myself except the shop where I work kind of frowns on bringing a gun barrel to work. I can sneak small parts in but barrels are out of the quetion. Please PM me or send an email with a quote. Thanks, you the MAN.
Old February 21, 2004, 02:07   #24
young8to5
Registered

FALaholic #: 9394
Since some people talking about the replacement of .223, now I think when the new NATO cali. is confirmed, we faler will not have problem to make a fal in that new cali.
Old February 21, 2004, 16:34   #25
FWRA
Registered

Well, I talked to Vern today and I'm gonna take this conversion in .50 cal. He tells me it's a "stout" shooter so that's good enough for me.

Now all I gotta do is send him a receiver and complete upper assembly with bolt, carrier and barrel and this project will be underway. That Vern is a genius in my mind and I can't wait to get this done. He uses a new barrel blank and puts the other stuff on it but that's about as technical as I can get. I'll leave the rest to Mr. John Browning himself.

Vern? You may not be as big as DSA, but by golly you are creative and a Master of design and execution.

Thanks John! The .50 is just the start.

FWRA

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; March 07, 2004 at 18:37.
Old February 21, 2004, 21:48   #26
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
From what I have found from "yahoo" search, .50 Beowlf is not commercially available or am I incorrect on this? If it is available, can somone provide the source(s).

The FAL and AK conversion look very interesting, how deep into the piggy bank do we have to dig for these?
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2004, 21:59   #27
meeper
Registered

.50 Beowulf is available to the public. It is manufactured by Alexander Arms. I just received 2 cases of ammo from Cheaper than dirt. They have it . There is also reload compents out there. Try searching a little harder.
Vern
Old February 21, 2004, 22:10   #28
flejl
Registered

Vern,

Thanks for the quick reply on the Ammo source. Are you planning to offer either conversion, both sound like a lot of fun.
Old February 21, 2004, 22:44   #29
meeper
Registered

The 10mm is available right now. The Beowulf should be ready in 2-3 weeks.
Old February 21, 2004, 22:55   #30
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by meeper
The 10mm is available right now. The .50 cal should be ready in 2-3 weeks.
Well by God Mr. Browning, then you better just plan on making me a 10mm as a companion to the .50 we talked about. The Beowulf runs about a buck a shot but who cares? Way cool.

YEAH BABY!

Vern? You ARE the Fal guru.

FWRA

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; March 07, 2004 at 18:38.
Old February 21, 2004, 23:51   #31
flejl
Registered

Any ideas on the cost for either version yet?

I guess I'm trying to determine if these fit into my toy budget. I can deal with the high ammo cost, but if the hardware to convert an FAL or AK is outside of my budget, I do not want to waste anyones time.
Old February 22, 2004, 17:19   #32
FWRA
Registered

Well, I have the first part of this project. Picked up an Imbel receiver from Big Jim at Black River Gunsmithing today at the gun show. Now I need to find a trash (but complete) barrel and the rest of the upper receiver parts.

Vern? Get the lathe ready my boy.

FWRA

FWRA

Old February 22, 2004, 19:54   #33
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by flejl
Any ideas on the cost for either version yet?

I guess I'm trying to determine if these fit into my toy budget. I can deal with the high ammo cost, but if the hardware to convert an FAL or AK is outside of my budget, I do not want to waste anyones time.
The only way to get the facts (cost etc) is to call Vern. Aside from his gunsmithing business he has TWO other full time jobs which means e-mail is tough to keep up with for him and he has no time to respond.

Seems John Browning also builds race car engines in his fully equipped machine shop.

He also has another full time job! (no wonder he's so good at what he does with all his machining experience and engine design work!)

Yep...best way to contact Vern is to call him on the weekends or try your luck after 8PM. (He's in Utah)

Here is the contact info:

HPF Gunsmithing is located in Benson, UT and Vern Smith is a genius when it comes to special FN FAL Caliber "Quick Change" Conversions. With one of Vern's 9mm and .308 conversions you can then switch from shooting .308 to .9mm in just 45 seconds!
For information on this exciting Quick Change Caliber Conversion System in these calibers .358 Win, .243, .22-250, 7.62x39 (and more!), contact Vern at 435-753-0663 or send for more info to:

HPF Gunsmithing

3889 West 3000 North

Benson,UT 84335
Ph: 435-753-0663

Vern? You ARE a genius!

FWRA

FWRA

Old February 22, 2004, 20:09   #34
FWRA
Registered

Oh boy...

Just saw this post here....

Quote:
Anything else I need? Well of course Carbine handguards, but DSA is the only place I know for those.

Didn't know about these. Hope DSA has these in stock.

Of course I COULD WECSOG a set out of full sized Imbel H/guards. Kind of a "cut and paste" so to speak.

I've got most of the parts ready to go to Benson, UT now. Whatwas the name of his gunsmithing co??

Oh...yeah....Browning Arms.

Final note:

DSA is PLANNING to bring out a Fal in .50 , but Vern has one working now with another coming VERY soon. And HIS can also be switched to 9mm, .45, 10mm (and many more!) in less than 45 seconds!

My heart is skipping beats!

FWRA

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; March 07, 2004 at 18:39.
Old February 22, 2004, 22:33   #35
cookhj
Registered

FALaholic #: 11935
vern, what kind of mags are you using in the 10mm conversion?
cookhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2004, 05:26   #36
edblevi
Registered

Mags for the 10mm are pps-43. I talked with him the other day and he says he has a pretty good supply of them. I would just get some from him, when you make your order.
Old February 23, 2004, 10:21   #37
flejl
Registered

Mark,

Thanks for the information on how to contact Vern, keep us updated on how this build goes, and post lots of pictures.
Old February 23, 2004, 21:07   #38
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by flejl
Mark,

Thanks for the information on how to contact Vern, keep us updated on how this build goes, and post lots of pictures.
Your welcome flejl.

Post lots of pictures? Don't you worry about that. That's a given!

FWRA

Old February 26, 2004, 13:56   #39
FWRA
Registered

Got a PM from Vern today (Meeper) and found out the 7.62x25 conversion is a go.

Geeze. Now I have the .50 cal ordered AND a companion 7.62x25 conversion. You GO Vern!

Oh...happy day....

The 7.72x25 should look something like this:

FWRA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meeper 9mm.jpg (39.6 KB, 560 views)

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; March 07, 2004 at 18:40.
Old February 26, 2004, 22:13   #40
discountupgrades
Registered

FALaholic #: 12913
Come on, those are WAYYYYYYY cool, but the question on everyones mind is:
WHAT ABOUT THE .50BMG VERSION? I would go 5-6k for it when you are done, just PM me!
discountupgrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2004, 20:10   #41
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by discountupgrades
Come on, those are WAYYYYYYY cool, but the question on everyones mind is:
WHAT ABOUT THE .50BMG VERSION? I would go 5-6k for it when you are done, just PM me!
Man I wouldn't put anything past Vern. If it can be done...John Browning Jr. will do it.

Vern? How did the Pinewood Derby go the other night at USU? Did your engineering students win...again?

A solid lead car weighing 14 pounds with needle bearings won the last time in the unlimited class and took 1st place. Vern's son was that winner.

I was not surprised when Vern told me that. His son comes from good stock.

FWRA

FWRA

Last edited by FWRA; February 27, 2004 at 21:11.
Old March 19, 2004, 01:27   #42
The Armour
Registered

I just could'nt let this thread die, so heres a Bump for the man. Also when are you getting a web site Vern?
Old March 22, 2004, 17:30   #43
farranger
Registered

FALaholic #: 2958
bump from a fan
farranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2004, 20:09   #44
J-Man
Registered

FALaholic #: 13510
So, that big 'ol breaching nut. Is it heat-treated cromo or mild steel?
Also, how does one maintain headspace when a little carbon or dirt getting on the barrel when installing could throw you off by a couple thou'?
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2004, 21:42   #45
meeper
Registered

The adapter and "Big ole breaching nut " are heat treated 4140. You would have to be a total idiot not to be able to install the barrel properly.
Vern
Old March 30, 2004, 22:40   #46
FWRA
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by meeper
The adapter and "Big ole breaching nut " are heat treated 4140. You would have to be a total idiot not to be able to install the barrel properly.
Vern

FWRA

Old December 31, 2006, 16:21   #47
sniper69
Registered

FALaholic #: 9956
Vern (or anyone else who might have them), Do you happen to have the pics for the 50 beowulf AK? I remember seeing them in 04 but it looks like the links don't work anymore.
Thanks.
"To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005
sniper69 is offline   Reply With Quote