Registered

FALaholic #: 34346

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 16:05   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Had my teeth pulled today, $309 a tooth and you pay before they will do the work.
Old January 02, 2018, 16:08   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Had my teeth pulled today, $309 a tooth and you pay before they will do the work.
Damn, that's got to hurt. I remember getting on pulled for $50 when I was in my early 20s and couldnt afford a root canal. Sum bitch hurt for a couple of days.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 16:20   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

$2781 to have em pulled and $1600 for the dentures. You have to put the new deterred in over the stiched up gum and it chokes the hell out of you because they are not fitted yet. Ouch.
Old January 02, 2018, 16:39   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

Interesting how they do a mass removal of teeth. I didn't want to be put under so they shot nova cane around every tooth but they add a heart stimulant with it and I nearly shook out of the chair, thought I had Parkinsons and I couldn't stop shaking for 10 minutes.

They got that needle up into my nose and that kinda smarted. Waited a half hour and the surgeon started yanking teeth and I could hear em break as they came out. Then he used a grinder to get the last bit of tooth out, that smelled really bad. Then he stitched up the wounds and I nearly choked as the thread went down my throat.

Fun day huh.
Old January 02, 2018, 17:42   #7
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
https://youtu.be/sLqtuXnFJ4Y
Hope you heal quickly with minimal pain.
~ss
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 17:49   #8
Bawana jim
Registered

Never gone through anything like this and glad I won't again. It's messy with lots of blood now for hours. Sneezed 4 or five times and spent 20 minutes cleaning my blood off everything. Just useing IBP for pain. Most of my friends and family have dentures and now I have a new appreciation for what they went through. Can't hardly talk yet but my dog still loves me.
Old January 02, 2018, 19:26   #9
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Interesting how they do a mass removal of teeth. I didn't want to be put under so they shot nova cane around every tooth but they add a heart stimulant with it and I nearly shook out of the chair, thought I had Parkinsons and I couldn't stop shaking for 10 minutes.

They got that needle up into my nose and that kinda smarted. Waited a half hour and the surgeon started yanking teeth and I could hear em break as they came out. Then he used a grinder to get the last bit of tooth out, that smelled really bad. Then he stitched up the wounds and I nearly choked as the thread went down my throat.

Fun day huh.
Quote:
Never gone through anything like this and glad I won't again. It's messy with lots of blood now for hours. Sneezed 4 or five times and spent 20 minutes cleaning my blood off everything. Just useing IBP for pain. Most of my friends and family have dentures and now I have a new appreciation for what they went through. Can't hardly talk yet but my dog still loves me.
Oh lord! It hurts me to just read about it. Good luck brother!

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 19:34   #10
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Are you sure the dentist didn't pump any gas before putting his paws in yer mouth ?

All kidding aside, good luck and take care, dental work is no fun. Wishing you a quick recovery

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 22:52   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

Wow, no joy in mudvil tonight. Once the novI cane wears off your whole face feels like you been in a fight. It makes you wonder if the face bones got cracked as they jerk ed your head around pulling them out. Plus now the needle wounds remind you they stuck a big fugging needle in your mouth about 15 times.

Looks like liquids for a while but that's ok cause maybe I will lose a pound or two

On a side note if I was ten years younger the gal that gave me the shots would have been here tonight giving me comfort.
Old January 02, 2018, 23:18   #12
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:

On a side note if I was ten years younger the gal that gave me the shots would have been here tonight giving me comfort.
Man, if you're feeling like getting a little "comfort" now, well, you're a tougher ol' f*ck than me!

Old January 02, 2018, 23:20   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Man, if you're feeling like getting a little "comfort" now, well, you're a tougher ol' f*ck than me!

It would sure help the healing process..
Old January 03, 2018, 00:09   #14
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:

Fun day huh.
Sorry you had to go through that. get well soon.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 01:39   #15
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Indian Health Service does it fo free🤙🏽Last time was a nice Viet American gal.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 01:54   #16
Bawana jim
Registered

My teeth have been painful for years but when I got the last cap on the bottom done the price told me to pull the rest. If I would have capped the rest of them it would have been $1800 each and you still end up pulling them later. Dentist will chase a cavity all around a tooth then end up capping it after its played out. Makes them good money.

My teeth had three nerves instead of the normal two. It's going to be great to have teeth I can live with that are not painful. I did it now so I have a good year to come. It's a good day for me in a sense.

I go in tomorrow for the first fit if I don't choke to death tonight when I fall asleep.
Old January 03, 2018, 05:48   #17
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
Had mine done few years ago in Australia, they were bad due to meds given when I was a baby, went in got upper and lower dentures, 12 stumps pulled, just 3 shots and it took 20 min all up. I had already got work done in the usa back in the early 2000s, I had 7 pulled, no pain meds, went in to work next day, handed arsehole boss a note that read, 7 teeth pulled, no pain meds, will not be responsiable for reactions to crap from you. he stayed away from me for a week. in Australia it cost me nothing...
Old January 03, 2018, 08:53   #18
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
You all have scared the living s*** out of me.......Can't they just knock you out with some monkey dope of some kind?
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 09:15   #19
Bawana jim
Registered

Made it through the night but never really got to sleep. Wounds keep oozing and choke on the blood, pain killers worthless. Dentist in a while to adjust plate so I quit choking. They can't build it perfect first shot and you have to wear the plate just as soon as the teeth are out or the gum swell and plate wont fit. Sinuses giving a headache and jaws let you know they are there.

Glad this is about over. On the positive side you don't get hungry and I hope this helps you guys that are going to go through this.
Old January 03, 2018, 11:10   #20
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
God that sounds like it sucks. I'm afraid I may have to have this done in the next three to five years. Peridontal disease has reduced the bone mass of my jaw making a lot of my uppers loose.

Not falling-out loose, but it hurts to chew hard foods, and when it doesn't, it usually hurts the next day for a few hours after waking.

I thought (but I haven't checked) that dentists today were using some sort of a screw jack instrument that eased the tooth out of the socket without all of the wrenching, twisting, and yanking that has/is been/being currently done.
Old January 03, 2018, 11:49   #21
Bawana jim
Registered

Just got back from the dentist and he regrettable made it so I could talk again 15 minutes with a Dremel and he made my new teeth fit the swollen gums. Cut out the gag in the back of the plate and while it's difficult still it's far better now. Mush better looking teeth now, might even go out and chase women with a smile.

Next visit they adjust the fit better as the swelling goes down and the stitches are removed. I really feel good today even with little sleep last night.
Old January 03, 2018, 12:19   #22
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Bawana Jim with the Toothless Grin!!!!
Enjoy them chompers.
Old January 03, 2018, 12:51   #23
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
I heard that wimmins go wild for toothless pussy lickers. Something to look forward to.
Seriously, that sounds like it really sucked. Get better soon.
Larry
Old January 03, 2018, 13:07   #24
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Bawana Jim with the Toothless Grin!!!!
Enjoy them chompers.
My oldest brother had teeth made by a really bad dentist and only wears them when he eats. He is 76 and works on a ranch while carrying his teeth in his front pocket. I made my dentist promis me my teeth would fit so I wouldn't be like my brother
Old January 03, 2018, 13:46   #25
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Amazing.

In 2001, they made up my upper plate, based upon what would be left........two eye teeth for the hooks.

I went in, they pulled all of the uppers, save the eye teeth, popped in my new plate and away I went.....all in about 1 1/2 hours. That first plate had a metal palate and was great. I now have an acrylic upper.

Pain after novacaine wore off, was controlled by aspirin.
Piece of cake.

Cost was $500 for the plate, and $200 for the extractions that went like shucking corn. $700 total cost.

Since them I have had the eye teeth removed and use super poligrip. Works well. I do cut apples with a knife, however, but corn on the cob is no sweat.

I recently considered implanted uppers, and the snap in kind with just 4 anchor type snap on's, but have decided against it all, after some old guy I know got abcesses, when the screw in implants loosened up.

Last edited by V guy; January 23, 2018 at 12:01.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 16:38   #26
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
Amazing.

In 2001, they made up my upper plate, based upon what would be left........two eye teeth for the hooks.

I went in, they pulled all of the uppers, save the eye teeth, popped in my new plate and away I went.....all in about 1 1/2 hours. That first plate had a metal palate and was great. I now have an acrylic upper.

Pain after novacaine wore off, was controlled by aspirin.
Piece of cake.

Cost was $500 for the plate and $200 for the extractions, that went like shucking corn..

Since them I have had the eye teeth removed and use super poligrip. Works well. I do cut apples with a knife, however, but corn on the cob is no sweat.

I recently considered implanted uppers, and the snap in kind with just 4 anchor type snap on's, but have decided against it all, after some old guy I know got abcesses, when the screw in implants loosened up.
So is it true that you know you are getting old when you don't sleep in the same room with your teeth?
Old January 03, 2018, 16:41   #27
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

My mom and her mother both wore dentures. They placed them in a water glass at night; if you came within 25 feet of those teeth you were told, "Watch out for my teeth! Don't break my teeth!" Sheesh...

Old January 03, 2018, 17:06   #28
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Quote:
I believe I had a similar experience with a mix of lidocaine and epinephrine.

But was mainly caused from being directly injected into the vein which caused my heart to nearly stop working from going into some out of rhythm something or another.

Short story, dentist injected my cheek, told me to get up and rinse my mouth out and spit, and by the time I was spitting I told him I thought I was going to pass out.

When I woke up, dentist and two assistants were over me while I was laying in the floor.

Pissed myself while I was out because my body basically was no longer working.

I felt like hell for 2 or 3 days after that.

I have spoken with a few anesthesiologist and they all thought the dentist injected it in a vein instead of the tissue where it would be absorbed more slowly if it had been done right.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 00:34   #29
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
I was working offshore when I had a small accident where a 36 inch pipe wrench slipped and hit me in my mouth loosening the teeth on my left side,,, I worked 10 more days and finished my work tour.
I was notified I was needed to do some repairs on a rig down in Chile so I went to the dentist and had all my teeth pulled as they would keep me from making a living and it wasn't getting any easier at age 55 and spending money on dentistry was what the future held and I had two young ones still in school .
My dentist was the one my health insurance required I use, he was a little short Hispanic and he had to sit in my lap for most of the procedure.
All my loose teeth on one side were easy to pull those on the other side were still well attached,,, the little dentist and I struggled and groaned to pull the remaining teeth and at one point I let go with a very loud fart that my wife and the receptionist heard out in the waiting room,,, it was only the one fart and I paid it no attention and it didn't much concern my little beaner dentist, he was all business and probably recognized a tamale fart when smelt one,,, we forged on he finally installed a temporary set of dentures and I flew south to work the next morning.
The job lasted for 2 weeks and I ate a lot of soup and oatmeal while losing 20 pounds,,, when I got home the little dentist fitted my new permanent false teeth.
Almost 30 years later I'm still wearing them, I reline them myself every 3-4 months.
I will have to admit I really miss the old chick magnet smile,,, it can't be duplicated at these prices in this time and place.

In my opinion the contributing factor in my tooth loss was the water supply on the rigs I worked on,, almost all have water makers that treat and refine by filtering water from the sea or water transported from fresh water estuaries,,, these water makers are subject to human maintenance and too often fecal matter content is allowed to become too high,,, my injury became infected in my opinion from the water supply available to me. I probably had a personal injury suit case,,, if I never wanted to work offshore again.

Last edited by martin35; January 05, 2018 at 07:59.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 07:12   #30
Deltaten
Registered

FALaholic #: 124
I really feel for ya!
I had to bite the bullet last March for new plates. Broke my upper partial while sailing. Once funds were available; thanks to gunbroker and my fn49, I haddem done.
Went to cheapest place for same day service I could find. Female,middle age Indian dentist. Terse but efficient as hell. Special on full set, $595 plus $95 per extraction. Total bill was only $1165 .
Last 5 teeth ,including the canines came out OK; but Oh my, that plate! Huge, rough and thick; it dammed near gagged me to death. Spent a few days/week with the food grinder and soup until swelling went down. Worst pain was post-op from needle-bruising to the palate.
After an hour or so making adjustments with the belt sander and dremel the plate was short enufff and thinner with space for my tongue. I held off with major interior remodel until swelling and healing; but severe high spots and sharp pointy bits were removed ASAP.

My last set of lowers and partial uppers lasted 8 yr and 10 yr, respectively. Judicious use of reline and repair kits, along with superior WECSOG skills kept the cheap, acrylic "temporary" plates alive. I expect these 9 month old beauties to last tll the end!
I use no nasty glue, either. Fit ' em right and no need. Found that twas better to have em loose so's debris can be cleared easily. Glue is problematic at best and guaranteed you WILL get a poppy seed or summat immediately upon pasting in!

Remember...... The dremel is yer friend!

PS. I now stow the new chompers in the galley sink upon leaving the dock
LOL

Best of luck with em

Last edited by Deltaten; January 04, 2018 at 07:21.
Deltaten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 10:06   #31
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

A little bit of warning perhaps is in order. My mom got her dentures in her early thirties. They were the only set she ever had when she passed at 79. As she aged, the fit loosened and she just kept using more and more Poligrip or similar to keep them in place. She was in a nursing home, ostensibly for rehab before going back home after a round in the hospital. My wife is the office manager for a local dentist and he would've gladly gone out to see her for a refitting or even new dentures.

Her vanity prevented that. "Why, that man would see me with my teeth out!" We tried to tell her that was not a problem, but she wouldn't have any of it. Just kept packing on more adhesive.

Not too long after her death, I came across an article about the dangers of too much zinc. It turns out that the adhesive she used had a lot of zinc. So many of the problems described fit her symptoms to a tee. It then dawned on us that her damned vanity helped kill her. Please don't be like her.

Old January 22, 2018, 16:16   #32
Bawana jim
Registered

They put the lining in my dentures today as the swelling has gone down. What a real difference and today I am very happy with the way it's turned out. If you need it done it's over with in about two weeks and you can chew again. I had three nerves in every tooth and now no pain at all.