The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old January 02, 2018, 18:08   #1
douglas
Registered

FALaholic #: 22985
That Bees Cold.....

Silver lining to the arctic cold front that hit South Texas is the cold. Supposed to get around 26 degree or so tonight. The colder the better at least for tonight.
For the past year I have been plagued with a nest of bees that took over my kids wooden play fort. There is a small deck on the ground and the bees set up a hive under it. I discovered them as I was mowing nearby and they swarmed me causing me to abandon my mower as I ran for cover. They kinda pissed me off as one of them got his stinger into the bald spot on the back of head and it hurt like hell. I was using my baseball cap to try and swat them out of my face and that opened me up for the kill shot. The other stings on my arms and back didn't bother me much but that shot to the bald spot hit home.

Today was pay back for them flying devils. It was a nice 36 degree when I got home from work and bees don't fly so good when it's cold cause they are all huddled together to keep the hive warm with their body heat. Rigged up my water hose with my brass spray nozzle and I hosed them down. I hammered them with the water hose and finally a couple of the brave ones crawled out of the gaps between the board in an attempt to get at me. I just washed them away. "Come at Me..is that all you got!" I was shouting at them as I hosed them down. Finally they quit coming up between the boards . I figure I'll have some beeciciles later tonight and tomorrow I will pull up a couple of the boards and feast on their honey from the hive. Life is good , beecicles and fresh honey.

Last edited by douglas; January 03, 2018 at 16:28.
douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 18:17   #2
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Good luck. I "killed " a partly africanized hive at my friend's ranch in south Texas a couple of years ago. A year later a new swarm arrived, probably scent from the old one drawing them. . They're buggers alright. I might tell them to turn the hose on if they're there tomorrow., they're inside an upright oil casing pipe supporting the barn, quite protected.
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 18:24   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Ya know, I was little looking forward to it cooling off some, but this is bull crap. The only thing that has saved our ass is cloud cover.

So is the honey in the center of the nest? Never understood it

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 20:40   #4
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post
Silver lining to the arctic cold front that hit South Texas is the cold. Supposed to get around 26 degree or so tonight. The colder the better at least for tonight.
For the past year I have been plagued with a nest of bees that took over my kids wooden play fort. There is a small deck on the ground and the bees set up a hive under it. I discovered them as I was mowing nearby and they swarmed me causing me to abandon my mower as I ran for the house. They kinda pissed me off as one of them got his stinger into the bald spot on the back of head and it hurt like the dickens. I was using my baseball cap to try and swat them out of my face and that opened me up for the kill shot. The other stings on my arms and back didn't bother me much but that shot to the bald spot hit home.

Today was pay back for them flying devils. It was a nice 36 degree when I got home from work and bees don't fly so good when it's cold cause they are all huddled together to keep the hive warm with their body heat. Rigged up my water hose with my brass spray nozzle and I hosed them down. I hammered them with the water hose and finally a couple of the brave ones crawled out of the gaps between the board in an attempt to get at me. I just washed them away. "Come at Me..is that all you got!" I was shouting at them as I hosed them down. Finally they quit coming up between the boards . I figure I'll have some beeciciles later tonight and tomorrow I will pull up a couple of the boards and feast on their honey from the hive. Life is good , beecicles and fresh honey.
Once it's down, hit the area with petroleum products or they will be back to the same spot next year.
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 21:24   #5
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post
"Come at Me..is that all you got!" I was shouting at them as I hosed them down. .
Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 16:24   #6
douglas
Registered

Operation Beecicle was a failure.........................
We had cloud cover overnight which caused the the temperature to remain at 32 degrees for most of the night instead of dropping down to 26 or so as projected in the weather forecast. Finally the cloud cover lifted and the morning low dropped to 27 degrees. Then the sun came up and it rapidly warm up to a balmy 54 degree day which revived the cold stunned survivors.

Those bees are tougher than I thought. The deck was littered with their dead so it wasn't a total failure but there were still a bunch of them flying around pissed off over having to spend a cold night out on patrol.

Gotta get going with my fall back plan of spraying them out of the air with a spray bottle with soap and water. I am trying to do these bees in as "green" as possible as I still want to feast on their honey. Operation Soap-a-bee-ia is at the final line of departure.

Last edited by douglas; January 03, 2018 at 20:31.
douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 23:06   #7
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Suggestion.....

I've had a lot of success using a shop vac. versus yellow jackets and hornets.

Start with the vacuum cleaner not plugged in but leave the power switch in the "on" position.
Set-up the end of the tube within a half inch of the hive's flight deck.
If you can't get close to the nest, extend the intake with a length of PVC pipe and some duct tape.

Turn the vacuum on by plugging it in (this gives plenty of stand-off distance) and leave it for several hours or more.

When you think you're finished, plug the tube and turn off the vac. Left cooped up for a week they die of thirst.
Repeat as needed.

If they really are bees and not wasps, call an apiarist.
Old January 04, 2018, 18:51   #8
AZ Dave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7882
Spray em with soapy water. A weed sprayer or lawn fertilizer with soap will kill em. They breathe through their body and soap stops them up and suffocates them. We used AFFF foam when I was a fireman to kill a bunch of them.
Old January 05, 2018, 01:58   #9
jeffrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 2073
Can you tell the difference between a honeybee(goodcritter) and a yellowjacket(spawnofsatansanus)?

I doubt they are bees.

Probably ground wasps judging by where you say they nested.
jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 11:52   #10
mribley
Registered

FALaholic #: 10860
Bees?

Look at the body of the insect. If it's got little hairs on it. It is a Honeybee
(Apis mellifera). If it's slender it's a wasp(Hymenoptera). Africanized? You need to have a DNA test to find out, for sure.

The HB go into a cluster when the temp goes below 45 degrees or so.
The honey will be on the top combs.

The Vacuum cleaner works fine to get the field bees. But, you need to get at the comb to get the Queen or spray the bees with soapy water.

Good luck
MJR
mribley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 16:41   #11
douglas
Registered

South Texas born and raised. I have been around yellow jackets my whole life. These are those nasty Africanizied bees that are pushing all the good honey bees out and taking over. The spray soap is taking them down a few at a time. I got busy with other stuff that the wife wanted me to do so for now the bees are a back item.

That vacuum cleaner idea sounds excellent. I have a new shop vac that I recently picked up in order to do some spring cleaning in the barn. I 'll probably give it a trial run.
Old January 05, 2018, 21:04   #12
JohnnyJohnsoninWI
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 45760
Do the Wasp Suck

Last summer, I had a nest of yellow jacket wasps in my basement. They found access where the air conditioner pipe entered through the siding. That part of my basement had been sheet rocked and I couldn't access the hive from inside the house.

I rigged the nozzle of my big shop vac about an inch from the entrance in the siding and let it run. The place looked like a busy airport. Every few seconds, another wasp would make is approach and just before touchdown, it would disappear up the vac nozzle. Extremely satisfying!

It make take a few days, though. I'm pretty sure I got all the ones that were already outside the hive but I think somehow they figured out that it was dangerous outside and stopped coming out. Once I thought I had all of them, I turned the vac off but the next day I noticed a few more flying around.

After 3 or 4 days, they were pretty much gone. I used a turkey baster 1/2 full of insecticide powder, stuck it in the hole in the siding and "basted" any stragglers.

I'll bet there were over 500 wasps, maybe over 1000, in my shop vac. After their journey up the hose, most weren't in any shape to fly out when the vacuum was off. Just to be sure, you can seal the end of the nozzle at night when it is off or send a shot of wasp spray up the hose when it is running.
JohnnyJohnsoninWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 07:57   #13
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Check for a local beekeeper to survey the hive to see if they can remove it. You might get some honey out of the exchange.
Old January 06, 2018, 08:34   #14
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403