Old January 02, 2018, 10:46   #51
Tuhlmann
Sand In Your Shorts
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
go back to watching tv.

"Perhaps no American president was more rapacious than Jackson. After the War of 1812, as a colonel in the Army responsible for fighting Indians in the Southeastern United States, he used his military conquests to buy huge tracts of land in Alabama and Tennessee for himself and his business partners. After ďliberatingĒ millions of acres of Indian land and bringing it into settlement, he used his government status to position himself and his friends as first in line at land auctions, to hire his friends as surveyors, and to make side deals with tribal leaders (complete with doceurs ó sweeteners, or bribes ó to have some of the best parcels set aside for himself)."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.32e49aa9eb2f

another thief low rent thief.

LOL.... youíre gonna need a better source than the WAPO for anyone to see your point of view with any degree of credibility.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 11:38   #52
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
most excellent, the cherokees were actually out whiteboying the white boys, owning slaves, plantations & such, which led to envy on the part of the white boys. It's all about the $$$$$. if i was alive back thrn, i eould've got me some round eye female endentured servants & had a heck of a plantation.

" In the late 18th century, some Cherokee set up European-American style plantations on their Cherokee Nation land, which occupied territory near parts of Georgia and Tennessee. They purchased African-American slaves to work this land. In 1819, the Cherokee Nation passed slave codes that regulated slave trade; forbade intermarriage; enumerated punishment for runaway slaves; and prohibited slaves from owning private property. An 1820 law regulated trading with slaves, requiring that anyone who traded with a slave without the master's permission was bound to the legal owner for the property, or its value, if the traded property proved to be stolen. Another code declared that a fine of fifteen dollars was to be levied for masters who allowed slaves to buy or sell liquor.[cit
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 12:19   #53
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Quote:
most excellent, the cherokees were actually out whiteboying the white boys, owning slaves, plantations & such, which led to envy on the part of the white boys. It's all about the $$$$$. if i was alive back thrn, i eould've got me some round eye female endentured servants & had a heck of a plantation.

" In the late 18th century, some Cherokee set up European-American style plantations on their Cherokee Nation land, which occupied territory near parts of Georgia and Tennessee. They purchased African-American slaves to work this land. In 1819, the Cherokee Nation passed slave codes that regulated slave trade; forbade intermarriage; enumerated punishment for runaway slaves; and prohibited slaves from owning private property. An 1820 law regulated trading with slaves, requiring that anyone who traded with a slave without the master's permission was bound to the legal owner for the property, or its value, if the traded property proved to be stolen. Another code declared that a fine of fifteen dollars was to be levied for masters who allowed slaves to buy or sell liquor.[cit
So there ya go. Kind of a people exploiting people situation. Hardly restricted to whites-only as the "victimizers".
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 15:08   #54
Registered

the point is the cherokees & others would have done just fine if not removed by that scumbag jackson & f$&ktard georgians & assorted trash. they had homes, towns, farms, slaves & understood the need to adapt to the euros and did so.
Old January 02, 2018, 15:31   #55
bubbagump
Stand-up philosopher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
the point is the cherokees & others would have done just fine if not removed by that scumbag jackson & f$&ktard georgians & assorted trash. they had homes, towns, farms, slaves & understood the need to adapt to the euros and did so.
In point of fact they almost certainly would not have done 'just fine'. Those days were rapidly ending. I agree it was a travesty and had all of that gone down in today's environment things would have ended differently. Or at least we like to think they would have. But to suggest that things would have remained the way they were despite the weight of public opinion against 'em is to either not understand or to flagrantly disregard the reality of the time.

Because it simply wasn't gonna be up to them. The Cherokees would have had to morph into white people to hang on to their land, and even that might not have been enough in view of the events that occurred about 20 years later.
Old January 02, 2018, 16:43   #56
Registered

its true the greed of euros is strong but the Cherokees were doing everything possible to adapt to their circumstances. jackson's greed reminds me of bill clinton.
Old January 03, 2018, 03:45   #57
Tuhlmann
Sand In Your Shorts
Contributor

It wasnít greed. It was dominance. Know that.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Old January 03, 2018, 06:10   #58
bubbagump
Stand-up philosopher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
its true the greed of euros is strong but the Cherokees were doing everything possible to adapt to their circumstances. jackson's greed reminds me of bill clinton.
... and that's the point. It was not up to them. It was never up to them. Tuhlmann gets it, by now you should too. The zeitgeist which prevailed during that time simply wasn't gonna allow it.

And while we're at it consider that the liberal values of enlightenment, tolerance, progressivism, whatever word you want to put to it are largely a product of overabundance. People start fantasizing themselves as generous when they have everything they need and can see a path to anything they can imagine. When living becomes hand to mouth and physical survival turns into a day by day or indeed, an hour to hour affair things change, and one day they will. The very notion of people living in peace and respecting someone else's right to live unmolested is simply a by-product of the civilization you decry, and it will be gone soon enough.
Old January 03, 2018, 12:32   #59
Tuhlmann
Sand In Your Shorts
Contributor

I keep my Manifest Destiny in itís guilded cage, right next to the hutch I keep my furry little White Privileges in. I donít lock the doors on either one...

Old January 03, 2018, 20:17   #60
Registered

well, the mexican manifest destiny is here so get ready to be tacoed.
Old January 03, 2018, 20:28   #61
martin35
un viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Using modern scrutiny to judge historical figures only works in this time zone of history,,, Jackson was the benefactor and mentor of Sam Houston who married, messed around with and lived with Indians,, the ability to transend the opinions of then and now are subjective of who is doing the opining,,, and that opinionaters life, reasoning and time frame experiences.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote