The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old January 01, 2018, 18:30   #1
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 24499
Recommendations for a band saw? (Got one!)

I am building some boats using more thin wide planks instead of the traditional strips for the decking. I have found that my 30 year old Craftsman band saw is not cutting it anymore. So, I need a new band saw that can handle a lot of re sawing duties, mainly re sawing up to 20 foot long, 12 inch tall soft woods into 1/4 thick planks pretty accurately.

I have been looking at the Laguna 1412
http://www.rockler.com/laguna-1412-14-bandsaw

Does any one have any experience with a this or any other suitable band saw I should look at?

In memory of my friend Roger Dunkelbarger. 05-09-2010

Last edited by davesrb; January 10, 2018 at 11:35.
davesrb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 19:12   #2
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
No matter what saw you pick i guess you already have the necessary tables to handle your wood. So maybe the height of these might need to match or close to your new saw you get. Cant go wrong with a good used DoAll bandsaw.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 19:23   #3
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
No matter what saw you pick i guess you already have the necessary tables to handle your wood. So maybe the height of these might need to match or close to your new saw you get. Cant go wrong with a good used DoAll bandsaw.
Yeah, my in feed and out feed table are adjustable roller tables, so I can handle a taller or shorter table height.

Old January 02, 2018, 08:44   #4
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
That's a fair amount of resaw work. I'd say that what you're looking at would be the minimum size and power for the work. A sturdy fence and an auto feeder would be a must-have. Can't have too much motor. I have an old Craftsman 1/2" shaper. It was worthless with the 1/2hp motor it came with. I put a 2hp motor on it and it has plenty of oomph for heavy pattern molding.
Larry
Old January 02, 2018, 10:53   #5
Jolly Rodgers
Registered

FALaholic #: 15882
I'm happy with my Grizzly GO555LX.
Jolly Rodgers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 10:59   #6
OMR_RDTandE
Low Speed, High Drag
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4827
I think you might be better off purchasing the sawn veneers from someone with the specialized equipment, rather than tooling up to do your own. Try contacting David Halliday at Boatsmith http://www.boatsmithfl.com, and see what he recommends.

If you're just looking for a better bandsaw, I'm partial to old, vintage iron. 16" Walker Turner, 18" Parks (Craftsman), or any of the older Rockwell (Delta) 14" saws are good choices. http://owwm.org would be a good place to start lurking or ask advice.

The rulebook is the last refuge of the incompetent. (With apologies to Isaac Asimov)
OMR_RDTandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2018, 12:26   #7
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMR_RDTandE View Post
If you're just looking for a better bandsaw, I'm partial to old, vintage iron. 16" Walker Turner, 18" Parks (Craftsman), or any of the older Rockwell (Delta) 14" saws are good choices. http://owwm.org would be a good place to start lurking or ask advice.
BTDT. I have a 1948 15” Montgomery Ward that I rebuilt. By the time I made a new metal stand, put a decent sized motor on it, replaced the bearings and tires, fabbed new roller blade guides, and wired it, I would have been better off buying a new saw. Problem with old stuff, it’s all a project.
YMMV.
Larry
Old January 02, 2018, 13:07   #8
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog58 View Post
BTDT. I have a 1948 15” Montgomery Ward that I rebuilt. By the time I made a new metal stand, put a decent sized motor on it, replaced the bearings and tires, fabbed new roller blade guides, and wired it, I would have been better off buying a new saw. Problem with old stuff, it’s all a project.
YMMV.
Larry
I to got a giant ( like 24" wheels) Hobart meat saw one time and reworked it. I remember using a variable speed motor on it and making guides but it worked fine. I was cutting soft 2024 alum. sheets so don't know it would have been with steel.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 10:12   #9
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I happened to mention to a buddy of mine who is a high end home builder that I was going to buy a new band saw, mainly for the re sawing capabilities. He said "I have one sitting in my warehouse that you can have if it will work for you." So, I went to look at it, expecting an old machine I would need to re build if it was worth anything.

What I found was pretty much an entire Grizzly wood shop stuffed in a corner and stacked on shelves. Turns out they had bought all this equipment to build custom doors for a few houses 2 years ago, then decided it was just as cost effective and less headache to just out source them. So the equipment has been sitting for 2 years, in their way.

Long story short, I have a bunch of nearly new Grizzley equipment for just the cost of moving it to my shop....

There is an 8x72 inch Jointer as well, that I will get later when they can get it off an upper shelf. The planer has some chips in the powder coat from being moved around with a fork lift. The table saw top needs to be polished up, as the warehouse crew has been using it as a lunch table for 2 years.....

Old January 10, 2018, 12:21   #10
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Dave are you saying your buddy just gave you all of this almost new Grizzly machines?

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 12:23   #11
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Wholly crap! Nice buddy you have there. Glad you got it worked out. I've got an older 17" Grizzly Bandsaw at home. I've used it for 8" stock and it works just fine. I don't believe it will do 12" resawing though.

What type of boat are you building?
Old January 10, 2018, 14:03   #12
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
I'm jealous Dave!!

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 14:37   #13
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
My friends ain't like dat
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 21:22   #14
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Wholly crap! Nice buddy you have there. Glad you got it worked out. I've got an older 17" Grizzly Bandsaw at home. I've used it for 8" stock and it works just fine. I don't believe it will do 12" resawing though.

What type of boat are you building?
Yeah, deals like this don't often fall into my lap! I spent most of the day today cleaning, adjusting, and leveling. Ran an extra 240v 30amp, a couple 240v 20 amp, and a 110v 30 amp over to where the equipment is going to sit. Its nice that all the equipment is on those Shop Fox wheel assemblies, so I can pull it out and set it up when needed, but have it out of the way when I am working on Jeeps or other projects.

The band saw has a 12 1/8 cutting capacity and a 16 1/4 throat with a 2 hp motor, so it should be able to handle my re sawing needs. I mostly deal with soft woods like cedars, cypress, even sassafras.

Old January 10, 2018, 21:38   #15
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrb View Post
Yeah, deals like this don't often fall into my lap! I spent most of the day today cleaning, adjusting, and leveling. Ran an extra 240v 30amp, a couple 240v 20 amp, and a 110v 30 amp over to where the equipment is going to sit. Its nice that all the equipment is on those Shop Fox wheel assemblies, so I can pull it out and set it up when needed, but have it out of the way when I am working on Jeeps or other projects.

The band saw has a 12 1/8 cutting capacity and a 16 1/4 throat with a 2 hp motor, so it should be able to handle my re sawing needs. I mostly deal with soft woods like cedars, cypress, even sassafras.

go buy a powerball ticket just for shits-n-giggles to see if your lucky streak is holding on

that is a find of a lifetime
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018, 08:53   #16
OMR_RDTandE
Low Speed, High Drag
Bronze Contributor

Not to rain on anyone one's parade, but that equipment is worth what he paid for it. It's like using a "Saturday night special" as your carry weapon, it may get the job done, or not.

The rulebook is the last refuge of the incompetent. (With apologies to Isaac Asimov)
Old January 11, 2018, 09:03   #17
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Not to rain on anyone one's parade, but that equipment is worth what he paid for it. It's like using a "Saturday night special" as your carry weapon, it may get the job done, or not.
Yeah, it's not the brand I would have chosen if I was spending my money, but it is definitely better than the older equipment I have been using. So far the planer seems very accurate, as does the drum sander. The table saw is nice enough, is am still getting it adjusted. If the band saw doesn't do what I need, I'll probably still spring for the Laguna. But, over all this was a great upgrade to my shop. And remember, I pretty much just build strip canoes and kayaks, so my needs are pretty basic at this point.

Old January 11, 2018, 09:47   #18
OMR_RDTandE
Low Speed, High Drag
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, it's not the brand I would have chosen if I was spending my money, but it is definitely better than the older equipment I have been using. So far the planer seems very accurate, as does the drum sander. The table saw is nice enough, is am still getting it adjusted. If the band saw doesn't do what I need, I'll probably still spring for the Laguna. But, over all this was a great upgrade to my shop. And remember, I pretty much just build strip canoes and kayaks, so my needs are pretty basic at this point.
I have a good understanding of milling strips for kayaks and would strongly recommend the acquisition of a power feeder. I am confused about your need to band saw 12" boards, if you're making kayak strips.

Old January 11, 2018, 10:15   #19
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I have a good understanding of milling strips for kayaks and would strongly recommend the acquisition of a power feeder. I am confused about your need to band saw 12" boards, if you're making kayak strips.
I am currently researching power feeders now! Any Recommendations?

The wider 1/4 inch planks are for some paddle boards I am making for my kids and a few friends. I'm using wider book matched planks for the deck and bottom, strips for the rails only. I also have some projects planned for my home this year that will make use of the wider re sawing capability of the band saw.

Old January 11, 2018, 10:22   #20
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:

Sounds like a great setup. All my stuff is on wheels as well, but it has to be. The only way I get to use it is if I move the car and quad out to the driveway first.
Old January 11, 2018, 20:49   #21
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Sounds like a great setup. All my stuff is on wheels as well, but it has to be. The only way I get to use it is if I move the car and quad out to the driveway first.
Yeah, its nice to be able to move it when its not in use. I have a 32x60 pole barn shop and I just added a 18x32 enclosed lean too onto the side. The wood working tools have to share space with the metal working tools and the automotive tools in the main space. The lean too is getting outfitted as a spray booth and some storage space. Lately it seems I have been spending more time working on the shop, than in it!

Last edited by davesrb; January 11, 2018 at 22:23.
Old January 14, 2018, 14:45   #22
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
know anybody with metalworking equipment? I need a surface grinder, a TIG welder, lathe bigger than 14X40, water jet and that will just about do it for me. Oh and SANTA, I mean Dave, don't forget a Kiln I can convert to a heat treat oven.
Old January 14, 2018, 16:49   #23
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
Quote:
I am building some boats using more thin wide planks instead of the traditional strips for the decking. I have found that my 30 year old Craftsman band saw is not cutting it anymore. So, I need a new band saw that can handle a lot of re sawing duties, mainly re sawing up to 20 foot long, 12 inch tall soft woods into 1/4 thick planks pretty accurately.

I have been looking at the Laguna 1412
http://www.rockler.com/laguna-1412-14-bandsaw

Does any one have any experience with a this or any other suitable band saw I should look at?

HERE--->>>>

https://martinsburg.craigslist.org/t...459289976.html
randy762ak is online now   Reply With Quote