Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old December 23, 2017, 12:54   #1
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Source for well used mags?

Anybody got a source for well used/beat aluminum mags for cheap. I can buy new all day long for $8, but I'd like to do some projects and 'sperimenting so don't need new and part of me doesn't like fugking up new stuff when used will do.
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 14:09   #2
burtman
Union Thug
Contributor

FALaholic #: 62934
Somebody might chime in with a source but in my limited opinion some dryfilm magazine hit with some scotchbrite might get you where you want to be
Old December 23, 2017, 14:15   #3
NHBandit
Registered

FALaholic #: 7986
This guy just had a bunch for $4.50 each. Website says sold out but he gets them in all the time. Might pay to drop him an email. https://mcgunshow.com/collections/magazines
Old December 23, 2017, 14:20   #4
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Thanks NHB, that's what I'm after. 'preciate the tip Burtman, but it isn't as much a looks thing as it is why fugk up perfectly good new stuff.
Old December 23, 2017, 14:23   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Put new followers, springs and floorplates in over 50 magazines following end of Sandy Hook panic to start fattening up my inventory after selling as many AR magazines felt comfortable selling and now have more than cost of a new mag in all of my old worn military mags. Bought Magpul antitilt followers and floor plates (mix of Ranger Plates and L-Plates) and Tubbs chrome silicone springs.

That was almost $10 per mag rebuild kit using my employee discount through LGS but all got a good cleaning, found the perfect piece of square steel to use as a dolly for hammering out dents, repaired any bent feed lips had my "A" welder repair a few cracks/splits then Cerakote outside of bodies to discover could have thrown all in trash, bought new and saved a lot of time and money. But now I have a big box of old magazines that are better than new.

Have a lot of old springs, floorplates, followers and may have some old magazines somewhere in the hoard. Will look in some places might have a few but not very likely will find as put huge effort into fixing the last of my 55 gallon drum of beat up magazines. What are you going to be doing with these and do you need 20 or 30 round or both? We did try welding some 20 rounders together and 20's to 30's but issues with follower jumping the seam, geometry of shape and issue with springs not being purpose made or engineered figured out buying factory made 40's or even the high dollar 60's were a lot cheaper than labor put into trying to make some high caps.

The home brew "50 round" magazines, a 30 TIG welded to bottom of a 20 (putting the 30 on top of a 20, 20 on top of another 20 and 30 on a 30 all failed miserably) worked best. Used two 30 round springs from the junk box TIG welded to each other in the 50 round mags and unfortunately only fed 100% if held rifle upside down. When follower tried to pass the seam would have failures and as magazine emptied and springs extended would get failure of bolt to pick up rounds due the cartridge hop during bolt travel. If anyone has tried similar and made work would like to know their trick though buying 40 round steel at $12 is a lot easier and dependable. Much more than 40 rounds per gun gets heavy and will overheat that much sooner if mag dumping.

Over 40 rounds and even engineered manufacturer made stick mags start getting hinky. Have two of the Surefire 60 round stick mags that work fine in a well tuned rifle when shoot at a moderate speed. Going hard with a binary trigger and somewhere rifle tends to fail picking up at least a round or two. The Magpul 60 round drums are reliable and not much more expensive than the Surefire stick mags. I don't do 100 round Beta mags except for a few U.S. made have still in original packaging in case become extremely valuable in the future. Part of my neckbeard hoard. Same on the Magpul drums only fired one and it belonged to someone else but worked flawlessly in binary magdumps and slow fire. The good U.S. 100 Beta mags have used worked well but the Korean were sketchy. Always interested in people's experimemting.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 14:49   #6
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfranz View Post
Anybody got a source for well used/beat aluminum mags for cheap.
Just go shoot (a lot) and make your own old wore out mags.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 16:05   #7
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Just go shoot (a lot) and make your own old wore out mags.
Cheaper, way WAY cheaper to have someone else do it, and I'm already paying them to do it...

Huey, I ain't got no plans to spend new money on beat to shit mags. My experimenting is mostly of the abuse variety
Old December 24, 2017, 09:44   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Anybody got a source for well used/beat aluminum mags for cheap. I can buy new all day long for $8, but I'd like to do some projects and 'sperimenting so don't need new and part of me doesn't like fugking up new stuff when used will do.
Quote:
Cheaper, way WAY cheaper to have someone else do it, and I'm already paying them to do it...

Huey, I ain't got no plans to spend new money on beat to shit mags. My experimenting is mostly of the abuse variety
Your OP said "projects and 'sperimenting" so assumed you had some odd project planned to jump on. I like odd projects and no telling what will spend sometimes when have my TIG guy stick parts together and/or machinist get ahold of something God forbid I put both on a project and blow a day or two's labor just to try and make a goofy widget. Of course the times a plan actually works makes the failures worth the investment to find the winners.

Showed a security company my homebrew armor for barriers and they suggested I apply for a patent then send in for UL or NIJ certification and both if wanted to do it up. Problem is patents cost a lot and some big company makes a minor alteration then patents their version and drives the little guy out of the market. My dad paid for three patents and all were sniped by big companies rather than bought as he had planned.

If you just want cheaper mags than $5.99 to $7.99 for new, my used mags will outrun their value in shipping if go digging. If your going to try something new and cool might be motivated to help you out. But if only goal is to save a few bucks over new mags then I will continue to rebuild and put back as find as some day a preban high cap magazine may have real value. What savings is in a worn out mag that needs a rebuild kit? A good spring costs more than a mag.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 24, 2017, 10:17   #9
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Your OP said "projects and 'sperimenting" so assumed you had some odd project planned to jump on. I like odd projects and no telling what will spend sometimes when have my TIG guy stick parts together and/or machinist get ahold of something God forbid I put both on a project and blow a day or two's labor just to try and make a goofy widget. Of course the times a plan actually works makes the failures worth the investment to find the winners.

Showed a security company my homebrew armor for barriers and they suggested I apply for a patent then send in for UL or NIJ certification and both if wanted to do it up. Problem is patents cost a lot and some big company makes a minor alteration then patents their version and drives the little guy out of the market. My dad paid for three patents and all were sniped by big companies rather than bought as he had planned.

If you just want cheaper mags than $5.99 to $7.99 for new, my used mags will outrun their value in shipping if go digging. If your going to try something new and cool might be motivated to help you out. But if only goal is to save a few bucks over new mags then I will continue to rebuild and put back as find as some day a preban high cap magazine may have real value. What savings is in a worn out mag that needs a rebuild kit? A good spring costs more than a mag.
Don't go digging, my projects aren't building a better mousetrap related. If you want to share your source for $6 new mags, I might overcome my "don't mess with new stuff" hangup. Although I must say opening a box of used stuff is usually more enjoyable for me than a box of new. The anticipation of the unknown is just better.

Last edited by kfranz; December 24, 2017 at 10:40.
Old December 28, 2017, 22:26   #10
lockjaw
Registered

FALaholic #: 64904
I would hit a gun show and find the tables with used AR M16 parts and military surplus... tell them that you have "X" amount of cash and need as many Well used mags that you can get your hands on. I'm sure someone could square you way.

Last edited by lockjaw; December 29, 2017 at 07:44.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 07:10   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Don't go digging, my projects aren't building a better mousetrap related. If you want to share your source for $6 new mags, I might overcome my "don't mess with new stuff" hangup. Although I must say opening a box of used stuff is usually more enjoyable for me than a box of new. The anticipation of the unknown is just better.
AmmunitionStore.com has new 30 round aluminum ASC magazines for $6.99. SurplusAmmunition.com has P Mags for 7.49 for the latex lovers. Ammunition Depot metal mags for $7.49. A quick Google seach found new stainless steel C Products on clearance for 7.99 which are fine mags and had free shipping on over a dozen. Palmetto has D&H new 30 rounders $7.99 with free shipping on 10 or more. One popular site I just checked had C Products on sale for $6.95 with free shipping on over a dozen. TwoAGunMags.com had 30 round black Hex Mags on sale before Christmas for $5.95 as I purchased two dozen but show the $5.95 mags out of stock today. Lucky Gunner has new metal D&H for $7.95 a whopping four cents cheaper than Palmetto, didn't check their shipping.

On the opposite side of the pile, beat up pre-ban USGI are $30 each as Quartermaster Supply. Why anyone with old milspec magazines have had hoarded for decades needs to understand that they might want to keep them. All the units I rebuilt have to original floorplates in case need to sell into an area under law that only preban high caps are allowed. Those old beaters are worth more than new to some people. Centex has excellent current issue military surplus 30 round mags for 8.50. Many of us older guys likely have more pre ban than post ban military surplus so need to be careful as sort and trade off our extra magazines.

With tons of new mags available from $6.95 to $7.99 and if check daily can jump on the $5.95 specials as they pop up I don't see the need to try and find used mags for six bucks. Pay the $7 to $8 for new with free shipping and be done. As advised, might find someone at a gun show that will sell you a big pile of used for six dollar range but if figure cost to get in gun show $10 locally, gas and time getting there why not pop an extra buck on new delivered to your door? Next day or two big sales will be popping up every few minutes on the web and sell out as soon as posted to first discussion group of size.
Old December 29, 2017, 08:08   #12
lockjaw
Registered

Bullshit. USGI mags are all over the place, and often found for dirt cheap. I collect retro M16 parts. Hell, the local gun shop has a big box full for $10 each, and I have zero doubt I could buy them for less if I bought a handful. I buy in volume in hope of finding the gems (some Vietnam era 30 round mags are worth good $$$, and sometimes I might find AR-180 mags, which can be worth a C-note+). In the meantime, most well used USGI 30 rounders are still serviceable and make interesting rebuilds.

Well used USGI 30 round magazines can routinely be found at gun shows for cheap. I recently picked up 6 well used USGI mags for $30. The table had a bunch of decent USGI mags for $12 each. I asked if he had any well used mags. He had a couple handfuls in the transport box with 100 mile an hour tape on them, others had welll worn finish, some had 50/50 cord ran through the floor plates (with more tape). I pulled out six mags the I liked, with black followers (typically pre-ban). I offered the $30 cash and he gladly took it. They were a mix of Labelle and Colt.

Like kfranz, there is something fun in regard to digging through military surplus and interpreting their history. Plus, these old mags are wonderful for the range with clean up and upgraded followers + springs. Make sure that the mag release hold/bump is not damaged or elongated, as this is the culprit for missfeeds (not feed lips).

In regard to new mags, Brownell's 30 round mags are excellent USGI mags, all the way down to the floorplate. Put one side by side with a USGI Colt, and the only difference between the two are the markings. With Brownell's free shipping and occasional sales codes, these are are an excellent buy. Is confidence in the product worth an extra $2 per magazine? I think so.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod21225.aspx

Last edited by lockjaw; December 29, 2017 at 08:22.
Old December 29, 2017, 19:27   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
Bullshit. USGI mags are all over the place, and often found for dirt cheap. I collect retro M16 parts. Hell, the local gun shop has a big box full for $10 each, and I have zero doubt I could buy them for less if I bought a handful. I buy in volume in hope of finding the gems (some Vietnam era 30 round mags are worth good $$$, and sometimes I might find AR-180 mags, which can be worth a C-note+). In the meantime, most well used USGI 30 rounders are still serviceable and make interesting rebuilds.

Well used USGI 30 round magazines can routinely be found at gun shows for cheap. I recently picked up 6 well used USGI mags for $30. The table had a bunch of decent USGI mags for $12 each. I asked if he had any well used mags. He had a couple handfuls in the transport box with 100 mile an hour tape on them, others had welll worn finish, some had 50/50 cord ran through the floor plates (with more tape). I pulled out six mags the I liked, with black followers (typically pre-ban). I offered the $30 cash and he gladly took it. They were a mix of Labelle and Colt.

Like kfranz, there is something fun in regard to digging through military surplus and interpreting their history. Plus, these old mags are wonderful for the range with clean up and upgraded followers + springs. Make sure that the mag release hold/bump is not damaged or elongated, as this is the culprit for missfeeds (not feed lips).

In regard to new mags, Brownell's 30 round mags are excellent USGI mags, all the way down to the floorplate. Put one side by side with a USGI Colt, and the only difference between the two are the markings. With Brownell's free shipping and occasional sales codes, these are are an excellent buy. Is confidence in the product worth an extra $2 per magazine? I think so.(Trim)
Your Quote: B.S. USGI mags are all over the place, and often found for dirt cheap. I collect retro M16 parts. Hell, the local gun shop has a big box full for $10 each, and I have zero doubt I could buy them for less if I bought a handful.... Plus, these old mags are wonderful for the range with clean up and upgraded followers + springs.

Wasn't that my exact point? There is no savings in reviving old milsurp mags. Say you buy enough to get at half price at LGS, add new springs and anti tilt followers your back above the cost of new stainless steel with chrome silicone springs and anti-tilt followers.

Your Quote: (some Vietnam era 30 round mags are worth good $$$, and sometimes I might find AR-180 mags, which can be worth a C-note+).

Direct quote from my post you called B.S. on:
On the opposite side of the pile, beat up pre-ban USGI are $30 each as Quartermaster Supply. Why anyone with old milspec magazines have had hoarded for decades needs to understand that they might want to keep them. All the units I rebuilt have to original floorplates in case need to sell into an area under law that only preban high caps are allowed. Those old beaters are worth more than new to some people.

Quote: *With Brownell's free shipping and occasional sales codes, these are are an excellent buy. Is confidence in the product worth an extra $2 per magazine? I think so.*

Direct Quote from my post you called B.S. on:
With tons of new mags available from $6.95 to $7.99 and if check daily can jump on the $5.95 specials as they pop up I don't see the need to try and find used mags for six bucks. Pay the $7 to $8 for new with free shipping and be done.

You called B.S. on my post but where you didn't agree with me almost word for word you managed to controdict yourself in presentation of ideas and arrangement of ideas. You keep talking about $10 used USGI and I posted a link to A Grade USGI for $8.50. Do you read something before you disagree with it? And yes, I find milspec cheap myself, even purchased a 55 gallon drum full at one shot. Yes, if at gun show will pick through a vendors box if fairly priced and willing to haggle. But entire jist of my post was can buy new cheaper than used, especially when have to rebuild heavily used which you totally repeated what my post said just in slightly dyslexic manner and finished off with final paragraph agreeing with my first after starting throwing the B.S. card. Friday evening of upcoming New Years weekend, were you already a few stiff drinks into the celebration before calling B.S.? Odd...
Old December 29, 2017, 21:17   #14
lockjaw
Registered

huey, you need to take your meds and take nap. Good night.
Old December 30, 2017, 10:00   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Took them in the morning, stay regular as clockwork but you are getting quite the reputation for arguing concepts and ideas you don't understand. You also attack more people than any other user currently. My PM box has maxed out twice this week due to comments about you from multiple users. Your becoming a joke. I find it odd you trash Fly Version 2 over here but buy his bolt carrier groups then resell over at barf dot com. If his items suck, why do you keep buying then when market them on other groups talk up how good they are? Riddle me that...

I can find posts all over this group in just past month or so where you tried to prove someone wrong just to find you boot stuck in your jaw again. You might find the Google task bar to learn about a subject before you make contradictary replys to others posts. Just like above, call B.S. then basically repeat my argument but in manner contradicted yourself. Then your best rebuttal was "go take your meds"? Lame. Bring some game to the table. Notice lots of subjects on this board I never claim knowledge of as know my limitations. Reason I joined this group is owned several FN pattern rifles, had sold most of my nice first bout with cancer and wanted to build some clones of rifles sold but knew little about them. Three years later am still low on the learning curve when it comes to FAL's but continuing to read and absorb the knowledge shared in the FAL and L1a1 rooms.

Maybe you need some meds???
Old December 30, 2017, 10:30   #16
NHBandit
Registered

Quote:
Took them in the morning, stay regular as clockwork but you are getting quite the reputation for arguing concepts and ideas you don't understand. You also attack more people than any other user currently. My PM box has maxed out twice this week due to comments about you from multiple users. Your becoming a joke. I find it odd you trash Fly Version 2 over here but buy his bolt carrier groups then resell over at barf dot com. If his items suck, why do you keep buying then when market them on other groups talk up how good they are? Riddle me that...

I can find posts all over this group in just past month or so where you tried to prove someone wrong just to find you boot stuck in your jaw again. You might find the Google task bar to learn about a subject before you make contradictary replys to others posts. Just like above, call B.S. then basically repeat my argument but in manner contradicted yourself. Then your best rebuttal was "go take your meds"? Lame. Bring some game to the table. Notice lots of subjects on this board I never claim knowledge of as know my limitations. Reason I joined this group is owned several FN pattern rifles, had sold most of my nice first bout with cancer and wanted to build some clones of rifles sold but knew little about them. Three years later am still low on the learning curve when it comes to FAL's but continuing to read and absorb the knowledge shared in the FAL and L1a1 rooms.

Maybe you need some meds???
Completely off topic and I hate to interrupt the pissing contest this has apparently turned into buttt.. In reference to the now missing post about used Colt BCGs and in view of the fact that you seem to know a bit more than most about the AR15 rifles I'll ask the question here.. I asked it on the fly bashing post but when I went to look for a response the entire thread was gone. Why are there suddenly so many used Colt BCG assemblies hitting the market ? Are they worn out to the point of needing replacement ? And if so why are people buying them ? I've seen decent quality NEW ones from various manufacturers selling for less during special sales. Have the retro guys lost their minds to the point where having a worn out POS with a little "C" stamped on it is more desirable than a new part that will give them years of service ? I recently bought a barely used Windham BCG and charging handle for 60 bucks shipped for a low buck build. The cheapest well worn used Colts from fly were selling for more than that. Curious minds want to know...
Old December 30, 2017, 11:19   #17
fly2.0
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
Completely off topic and I hate to interrupt the pissing contest this has apparently turned into buttt.. In reference to the now missing post about used Colt BCGs and in view of the fact that you seem to know a bit more than most about the AR15 rifles I'll ask the question here.. I asked it on the fly bashing post but when I went to look for a response the entire thread was gone. Why are there suddenly so many used Colt BCG assemblies hitting the market ? Are they worn out to the point of needing replacement ? And if so why are people buying them ? I've seen decent quality NEW ones from various manufacturers selling for less during special sales. Have the retro guys lost their minds to the point where having a worn out POS with a little "C" stamped on it is more desirable than a new part that will give them years of service ? I recently bought a barely used Windham BCG and charging handle for 60 bucks shipped for a low buck build. The cheapest well worn used Colts from fly were selling for more than that. Curious minds want to know...

There was a fly bashing post ? I missed that one . I didn't feed trolls anyway , so it goes not matter .

Anyone and everyone that know's me , and there is a lot ! Know's I stand behind ever sale .

If someone is not happy . I offer a full refund Plus the price of shipping to return the product . And I get one every few year's .

BUTTT if someone want's to act lick a little baby , and not tell me what is wrong , Troll me for 3 weeks ! Then post -1 feedback against me ? Well that person can pound sand now .

My first -1 feedback in over 1500 +1 feedbacks on the net , on 5 different forums .

My feedback on ''Jen's other site akfiles ; ck the sale date's ,
www.akfiles.com/forums/member.php?u=157672

NO one has complained about BCG's ! But you are a ''Special Little Snow Flake'' (lockjaw)

Now this being said ; I will not feed any trolls or shit starters (lockjaw).
you are on my (Ignore List) and anyone that side's with him .

*** The Ignore List Works Great ***
*Can't See it,Can't Hear it,And don't have to look at it*

Last edited by fly2.0; December 30, 2017 at 20:39.
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 11:24   #18
fly2.0
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

I'm sorry OP if this guy screwed up you thread , and please excuse me for pilling on .

Old December 30, 2017, 14:53   #19
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2.0 View Post
I'm sorry OP if this guy screwed up you thread , and please excuse me for pilling on .
Nah, a little piss smell never killed anyone. NHbandit answered my q in post #3 but the rest of the thread gave huey something to write about, lj something to call out, and you got a chance to defend your honor. As decent way to use electrons as most others I figure.
Old December 30, 2017, 15:25   #20
fly2.0
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Nah, a little piss smell never killed anyone. NHbandit answered my q in post #3 but the rest of the thread gave huey something to write about, lj something to call out, and you got a chance to defend your honor. As decent way to use electrons as most others I figure.
I hope your thread don't get nuked over this ...

Last edited by fly2.0; December 30, 2017 at 20:36.
Old December 31, 2017, 09:08   #21
NHBandit
Registered

Quote:
There was a fly bashing post ? I missed that one . I didn't feed trolls anyway , so it goes not matter .

Anyone and everyone that know's me , and there is a lot ! Know's I stand behind ever sale .

If someone is not happy . I offer a full refund Plus the price of shipping to return the product . And I get one every few year's .

BUTTT if someone want's to act lick a little baby , and not tell me what is wrong , Troll me for 3 weeks ! Then post -1 feedback against me ? Well that person can pound sand now .

My first -1 feedback in over 1500 +1 feedbacks on the net , on 5 different forums .

NO one has complained about BCG's ! But you are a ''Special Little Snow Flake'' (lockjaw)

LOL.. Well that answers my question as to why there are so many used Colt BCGs showing up for sale.. NOT.. Wasn't expecting you to give up your source, just why they got swapped out. I was just curious. Never done business with ya but that dosn't mean I wouldn't. I came close to buying one from you and the only reason I didn't was because it was a dirt cheap build intended to use up a bunch of stuff I either had laying around collecting dust or that was free and I found a cheaper one with low miles and it came with a CH. Just to pass the time. Free barrel from the Bear Creek Arsenal Veterans Day giveaway. Creative trading and some stuff left over from other builds. Total cost, under 200 bucks and it goes bang every time... Apologies to Ken for the interruption. Happy New Year fellas

Last edited by NHBandit; December 31, 2017 at 09:13.
NHBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 07:34   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Let's see if we can get this train back on the tracks. Check these links for used GI AR 15 magazines. First link, $8.50 each for used.

https://www.centextacticalgear.com/p...ant=3239203588

This guy is getting $8 each or 10 for $70 for mixed used 30 round mags on Guns America.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/91524222...-Magazines.htm

Used military mags at $11.99.

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/mags.html

Check the picture of average condition of Centerfire Systems used military surplus AR mags. I have purchased hundreds of used magazines from Centerfire but not popping $14.99 for used magazines that likely need new springs and followers. Their FAL mags were a great buy till all gone and G3 mags are still a good deal.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...30rd-used.aspx

I can keep posting links all day but used military mags almost always cost more than new manufacture. Unless need mags you can prove are pre ban for some jurisdiction used makes no sense. Pre bans are going to run you $30 each as I still get that for them in good shape. Trying to save money when new mags are $5.99 to $7.99 based on sale of the day or week is just not possible.

Hoarders like me are probably not going to sell any mag when market is at its all time lowest. I bought over three dozen assorted AR mags just in past 30 days, all new in package. Paid as little as $5.95 and as much as $15.00 each based on what they were. Have over 500 metal mags in original packaging, a couple hundred or more P Mags and a couple hundred Hex Mags and other similar super cheap plastic to sell next panic so I can keep my metal mags. I could not even count what's scattered around the house, work and trucks.

Since this thread started have been looking for a reliable source of used mags and $8.50 is cheapest found but can buy new stainless steel with anti tilt followers and chrome silicone springs for $7.99. With the proliferation of cheap new mags I don't even see the point of OP's question unless looking for someone to gift him some mags or sell below market value. I give away AR mags all the time, bet I have given over 100 away in past year but only to family and friends, not anyone on the net trying to cheap out unless they had an interesting reason for a few rough units to cobble together some unique project, I might dig through the junk mag box.
Old January 01, 2018, 10:35   #23
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Dude, the train WAS on track until you showed up dropping what you thought were knowledge bombs on us. NHbandit answered my question in post #3. I didn't ask for any of the info you shared after that, nor did you share a source of cheap well used beat up mags. I didnt ask for free mags, and I don't usually accept free stuff.

That being said, your info is interesting when a reader needs some background he doesn't have(and I have learned stuff from them), and your thoughts on various topics is most certainly well documented. But if you don't have an answer to go along with the stream of consciousness, you should probably save it for another thread.
Old January 01, 2018, 11:42   #24
burtman
Union Thug
Contributor

FALaholic #: 62934
Ran across 10 + well used magazines in the local consignment shop. They were from service rifle use and marked accordingly with green followers and free sand but @ $ 11 I just chuckled and kept walking.
Old January 01, 2018, 13:09   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Been to link in post #3, put every item listed in cart and every single combination comes up:
Quote:
Inventory issues
Some products became unavailable and your cart has been updated. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
Just tried again right before this post, dropped every item on that page from "16 used", "16 well used", "used", "well used", "enhanced performance", "as new Colt", "Center Industries New" and "New Okay". Every single option has come up with same "inventory issues" everytime have tried since link was posted. If someone has had success please post up so I know to keep trying otherwise the low prices listed are useless. The links I posted have inventory when make it to check out page. Someone can advertise magazines at 99 cents but if they have none to ship at price on site I don't see it as a bargain.
Old January 01, 2018, 14:07   #26
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Pawn shops?

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 18:26   #27
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I will be darned. Just tried the link in post #3 again and kept fudging numbers till it took an order for 6 well used magazine, 3 used magazines and 1 of the new Enhanced magazines. If added one more to any of the above counts site would throw "out of inventory" message. Would not let me enter either the used or well used mags in 16 count options. Going to see what this guy sells though what I paid for used with shipping is basically same price as new with free shipping. Rechecked the magazine page after my order and shows Enhanced "out of stock" so the one I bought is apparently all he had come in and put on site today. Still shows some used and very used but doubt it's more than one or two unless they are putting limits on orders.

This is now fifth vendor have purchased the new tan Enhanced magazines from now so they are popping up everywhere. Lowest price paid has been $10, highest price paid $15 and other vendors were both $12.95 though one was all I got today from this vendor but got a few dozen from another who threw in shipping at $12.95 each for orders over 20. When all ship, combined with what I have will put me over 50 of the new tan magazines. As an FYI finish sucks. The five have in service are already looking bad and two have big bare spots or ar more scuff & scratch than not. Going to strip ones I pull out of package for use and Cerakote them in colors need. Already swapped followers and using one for 6.8 and another for 22 Nosler but if put more than 20 rounds of either in no matter what follower and spring they get unreliable.

So foot is now officially in mouth about inability to purchase a single magazine from vendor in post #3. Order completed for 10 assorted magazines from thee catagory especially but that was all it let me have. If the well used at $4.99 are useable and can get a large quantity so shipping doesn't add a buck per magazine to price might be worth working a bulk deal. See, will work to prove myself wrong but I had to work and now know have to keep fiddling with numbers if want order to go through. Kept lowering count and refreshing cart till let me check out.
Old January 02, 2018, 13:01   #28
NHBandit
Registered

Quote:
I will be darned. Just tried the link in post #3 again and kept fudging numbers till it took an order for 6 well used magazine, 3 used magazines and 1 of the new Enhanced magazines. If added one more to any of the above counts site would throw "out of inventory" message. Would not let me enter either the used or well used mags in 16 count options. Going to see what this guy sells though what I paid for used with shipping is basically same price as new with free shipping. Rechecked the magazine page after my order and shows Enhanced "out of stock" so the one I bought is apparently all he had come in and put on site today. Still shows some used and very used but doubt it's more than one or two unless they are putting limits on orders.

This is now fifth vendor have purchased the new tan Enhanced magazines from now so they are popping up everywhere. Lowest price paid has been $10, highest price paid $15 and other vendors were both $12.95 though one was all I got today from this vendor but got a few dozen from another who threw in shipping at $12.95 each for orders over 20. When all ship, combined with what I have will put me over 50 of the new tan magazines. As an FYI finish sucks. The five have in service are already looking bad and two have big bare spots or ar more scuff & scratch than not. Going to strip ones I pull out of package for use and Cerakote them in colors need. Already swapped followers and using one for 6.8 and another for 22 Nosler but if put more than 20 rounds of either in no matter what follower and spring they get unreliable.

So foot is now officially in mouth about inability to purchase a single magazine from vendor in post #3. Order completed for 10 assorted magazines from thee catagory especially but that was all it let me have. If the well used at $4.99 are useable and can get a large quantity so shipping doesn't add a buck per magazine to price might be worth working a bulk deal. See, will work to prove myself wrong but I had to work and now know have to keep fiddling with numbers if want order to go through. Kept lowering count and refreshing cart till let me check out.
Please update us if you actually receive the mags. The vendor is a good guy and I've bought from him in the past but it's my sense that he's just a kitchen table vendor who buys out overstock stuff when he can find it and when it's gone it's gone until he stumbles into some more. As a rule if the site says "out of stock" it probably is. With that said, he is a great guy to deal with. I recently bought one of his blem stripped uppers. They were advertised as purely cosmetic blems. The hole for the forward assist retaining roll pin was off slightly so the pin would rub on the plunger and not allow it to be depressed. He sent me a perfect one on his dime and told me to keep the other one to use as a paperweight. I'd glady buy from him again but he's always out of stuff I want. Ken if you still need mags I'd suggest sending him an email. Update.. I just went to the site and they are showing as in stock. I added some to the cart and it was accepted.
Old January 03, 2018, 17:56   #29
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanx for heads up. I like deals but having to work to get a total of ten mags from three different catagories is not something I will pursue often. I kept trying just because of the banter on this thread. In future if can't put at least a couple dozen of any single mag in my cart it's not worth the effort when have vendors that will ship a gross if have the cash to buy 144 mags at one time. Whenever one of my regular vendors sends an email out on a sale with free shipping on 10, 12 or 20 mags will almost always pop on it.

Last time Palmetto put up 6.8 mags at $6.99 each with free shipping on ten or more I dropped 24 in my cart. S&G is another vendor I commonly buy 20 to 50 mags at a time. When Centerfire Systems seemed to have unlimited supply of metric FAL mags at $7.99 with occasional sale at $6.99 stacked them deep and now they are gone. Half afraid the $3.99 H&K/CETME mags may eventually dry up as well so tag a dozen or more on every order from Centerfire just in case. Imagine $3.99 mags hitting $30 some day... Have plenty of H.K.'s and CETME's if end up becoming beater mags but watching the FAL metrics jump from $7.99 to $19.99 basically overnight just can't help myself.

If this guy's $4.99 mags are at least useable and can work a deal on 50 or 100 and are in stock will pile them deep. Seems like majority of folks find themselves way short on mags and ammo when a panic hits. Friend of mine has purchased two AR's since market has bottomed out but only has six magazines and 420 rounds of M855 total to feed them. He will be like the $100 per brick rimfire guys next burp in the market. I would rather have 50,000 rounds and 200 magazines than a pile of rifles and less than 2,000 rounds per rifle aND a couple dozen mags per rifle. Building #12 and #13 units in 6.8 but only have 17,000 rounds in stock and worries me. The recent Palmetto sale will have me up to 19,000 when shipment arrives but till have 2,000 rounds per 6.8 won't rest easy. Fat on mags now, enough for myself and for neckbearding.
Old January 05, 2018, 09:33   #30
NHBandit
Registered

Quote:
Thanx for heads up. I like deals but having to work to get a total of ten mags from three different catagories is not something I will pursue often. I kept trying just because of the banter on this thread. In future if can't put at least a couple dozen of any single mag in my cart it's not worth the effort when have vendors that will ship a gross if have the cash to buy 144 mags at one time. Whenever one of my regular vendors sends an email out on a sale with free shipping on 10, 12 or 20 mags will almost always pop on it.

Last time Palmetto put up 6.8 mags at $6.99 each with free shipping on ten or more I dropped 24 in my cart. S&G is another vendor I commonly buy 20 to 50 mags at a time. When Centerfire Systems seemed to have unlimited supply of metric FAL mags at $7.99 with occasional sale at $6.99 stacked them deep and now they are gone. Half afraid the $3.99 H&K/CETME mags may eventually dry up as well so tag a dozen or more on every order from Centerfire just in case. Imagine $3.99 mags hitting $30 some day... Have plenty of H.K.'s and CETME's if end up becoming beater mags but watching the FAL metrics jump from $7.99 to $19.99 basically overnight just can't help myself.

If this guy's $4.99 mags are at least useable and can work a deal on 50 or 100 and are in stock will pile them deep. Seems like majority of folks find themselves way short on mags and ammo when a panic hits. Friend of mine has purchased two AR's since market has bottomed out but only has six magazines and 420 rounds of M855 total to feed them. He will be like the $100 per brick rimfire guys next burp in the market. I would rather have 50,000 rounds and 200 magazines than a pile of rifles and less than 2,000 rounds per rifle aND a couple dozen mags per rifle. Building #12 and #13 units in 6.8 but only have 17,000 rounds in stock and worries me. The recent Palmetto sale will have me up to 19,000 when shipment arrives but till have 2,000 rounds per 6.8 won't rest easy. Fat on mags now, enough for myself and for neckbearding.
The only possible reason to have 200 mags is to cash in if there's another ban. Unless you're starting a militia group and you're in charge of the armory. WTF real world situation is any individual EVER going to need 200 mags for ? Dude you're like a crack addict only with AR parts
Old January 05, 2018, 15:28   #31
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
The only possible reason to have 200 mags is to cash in if there's another ban. Unless you're starting a militia group and you're in charge of the armory. WTF real world situation is any individual EVER going to need 200 mags for ? Dude you're like a crack addict only with AR parts
Exactly, I sold over 300 AR mags during Bush Ban not counting high cap mags for other rifles and handguns. During Sandy Hook sold three or four AR's, over a half dozen AK/SKS's, over 100,000 rounds of rimfire ammo (half for price paid or gave away to Boy Scout troops) and every combloc rifle sold included 600 rounds of ammo. Also sold over 100 AR magazines along with a fair amount of low end factory 5.56 ammo to people willing to pay.stupid prices.

There have been a couple other small bubbles of opportunity on all or specific items. The weekend Gunbroker suspended sales of Slidefire stocks was able to sell two locally for over $500 each because had them put back new in box with all papers including the "sticker" for your car or whatever people put decals on. If Hitlary had won election and signed an assault weapons and high capacity magazine ban similar to Bush ban had over 30 lowers and enough AR magazines to dedicate a dozen to every rifle and lower I owned plus a hundred or so to sell.

Until Sandy Hook had ten years of reloading supplies to shoot at my average of 350 handgun, 100 rifle plus 100 rimfire rounds per week for a decade. Between a two year plus silly price on components, continuing to shoot as normal and helping close friends out plus a few not so close came out of that mess with only about six to seven years worth of primers and powder. Also ran low on 5.56 projectiles. Had to start rationing some of my match grade rimfire, especially CCI Green Tag and Aguilla Sniper Subsonic. Had enough Remington Thunderbolts was able to sell till price dropped below $50 per brick. Switched to using a lot of the Federal Auto Match in the 325 round cartons to conserve my real match ammo for practicing. From the late 1970's till they ran out never went in Walmart without buying a brick of their cheap rimfire. Used to be Federal Champion before Thunderbolt's. When they started selling the 100 round boxes of 12 gauge field & skeet loads then the Federal Auto Match put one of each of those in cart and lots of weeks would end up in Walmart three or more times. Do that for 30 years and watch it pile up.

Same when SKS's were $79 with 600 rounds of ammo, SKS-M's $99 with magazine and ammo and AK's $125 with mag and ammo bought a combloc rifle per week long as could get them and was in town. Usually bought a 75 round drum mag, a few 30 round AK mags and a extra tin or two of steel core ammo. Sold the cr@p out of them during Sandy Hook. How do you think I can keep playing the game as hard as I do? It's buying items when cheap that can use or pass on to heirs if don't hit a panic bubble and sell off some overburden on occasion. Was funny how much people were paying for M1a's at beginning of Bush Ban when only change was bayonet lug being shaved. I don't think I have ever mounted a bayonet on an M1a.

So 200 AR mags doesn't even cover my personal needs. Actual count is well over 500 5.56 then at least 300 6.8/22 Nosler for me and about the same to sell. Now way I could count the 5.56 M855 projectiles put back. I am sure will see another panic in my life and of not my heirs are hooked up. I enjoy playing with them in the meantime and if never sell another one won't bother me a bit but when see what Colt snake guns and Randall left hand 1911's are selling for its awful tempting to cash in a few of each.
Old January 05, 2018, 16:47   #32
OMR_RDTandE
Low Speed, High Drag
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4827
Quote:
Well, say what you will, but Huey has put more thought into this than most people do for their 401K's. It would appear, in his case, his "hobby" is not only paying for itself, but letting him buy anything he wants.

His business principles work equally well selling FAL parts in the Marketplace, or just about anything on e*ay. How many of us have said "I should have bought 20.", when say, you could get complete British L1-A1 kits, from unissued rifles, for $100 each? We talk about what we should have done, he goes out and does it.

The rulebook is the last refuge of the incompetent. (With apologies to Isaac Asimov)
OMR_RDTandE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 18:22   #33
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMR_RDTandE View Post
Well, say what you will, but Huey has put more thought into this than most people do for their 401K's. It would appear, in his case, his "hobby" is not only paying for itself, but letting him buy anything he wants.

His business principles work equally well selling FAL parts in the Marketplace, or just about anything on e*ay. How many of us have said "I should have bought 20.", when say, you could get complete British L1-A1 kits, from unissued rifles, for $100 each? We talk about what we should have done, he goes out and does it.
I was smart enough to buy low, my mistake was passing on the savings to all y'all over the years and not saving a thousand like new $1 aluminum FAL mags for myself to sell now....I'm not into the hobby the way I was, because selling to support the hobby felt too much like work. But I'm with Huey and many others before him, I'll buy when the price looks good and if an opportunity comes along, I'll take some profit.
Old January 05, 2018, 20:45   #34
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

$3.99 G3 mags... G3 is now a rich man's toy and how many have stockpiled mags? The things have to run out at some point then all the Drunken Monkey® CETME 922r kit rifles and real deal G3's will need mags. Buy mix of some of the $9.99 steel as well as they are going to dissapear in bulk first. When it happens aluminum will sell for $30 and steel for $50. Don't think the CETME guys except for the occasional original will pay extra for a real CETME mag though I do have 20 just to go with my CETME's.

Freaking $3.99 each??? Tag three to six on back of every Centerfire Systems order and they run out sooner more people that play but won't feel the pain as $12 to $20 extra on each order won't hurt but when they suddenly leap like metric FAL magazines have will be glad you did. Centerfire has a lot of original accessories for lots of guns dirt cheap that will pick up lots of value when inventory runs low.
Old January 05, 2018, 22:00   #35
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
$3.99 G3 mags... G3 is now a rich man's toy and how many have stockpiled mags? The things have to run out at some point then all the Drunken Monkey® CETME 922r kit rifles and real deal G3's will need mags. Buy mix of some of the $9.99 steel as well as they are going to dissapear in bulk first. When it happens aluminum will sell for $30 and steel for $50. Don't think the CETME guys except for the occasional original will pay extra for a real CETME mag though I do have 20 just to go with my CETME's.

Freaking $3.99 each??? Tag three to six on back of every Centerfire Systems order and they run out sooner more people that play but won't feel the pain as $12 to $20 extra on each order won't hurt but when they suddenly leap like metric FAL magazines have will be glad you did. Centerfire has a lot of original accessories for lots of guns dirt cheap that will pick up lots of value when inventory runs low.
$3.99 is 8x what I ever paid for a G3 mag. Sold all but 4 or 6. They never sold quick though, just not the same demand as ar/ak/fal/m1 carbine mags. Hell, Thompson mags and Soumi drums sold faster than G3 mags.
Old January 05, 2018, 22:06   #36
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
$3.99 is 8x what I ever paid for a G3 mag. Sold all but 4 or 6. They never sold quick though, just not the same demand as ar/ak/fal/m1 carbine mags. Hell, Thompson mags and Soumi drums sold faster than G3 mags.
If you have any more good surplus Thompson mags please PM me.

I need a few more good 30rd M1/M2 mags as well on that topic
Old January 05, 2018, 22:18   #37
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
If you have any more good surplus Thompson mags please PM me.

I need a few more good 30rd M1/M2 mags as well on that topic
Sorry, all that stuff went out my front door. Almost exclusively to members here, so a WTB in the marketplace might net you some offers.
Old January 06, 2018, 08:38   #38
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Find me some at fifty cents each and will order a pile. No, they don't command much money now nor are they super popular. Let the supply of cheap units dry up here in the U.S. and value will go up. Unless can still buy G3 mags at $0.50 then what used to pay doesn't matter. I used to buy new in box Colt Pythons for under $600. Doesn't mean still can or would sell any for that price. What I would really like are some original Ingram M11 and 9mm M10 magazines. Darn things are so valuable I don't even use my originals anymore.

I have learned, virtually any high capacity magazine can buy cheap if put it in a box and hold long enough it will increase in value significantly. To this day I wonder about all those people that paid large cash for AR and M1a/M14 high caps during Bush Ban? Darn things got high for a while and there was no guarantee ban would not be extended so some would pay up if ofeed up a couple of milsurp AR or M1a magazines, could end up never selling another magazine for a profit and will be money ahead. Meanwhile will keep rolling those dice as worst case don't have to worry about running out of mags if zombie apocalypse happens can load up 1,000 magazines and not have to worry about stuffing bullets one at a time for reloads when need to be putting rounds downrange.

Or when next bubble happens will repeat as done in past. I never sell in low market, only during panics. It's how the collection grows, buy low, sell high then double down next time price goes low. Who would have thought a person could $7.95 bricks of Walmart rimfire into $100 bills? Never was sure why bought so much crap ammo when don't shoot it. Was something else to add ballast to house. Would bet a cup of coffee that some day will more than triple my money on $3.99 G3 mags. (Can't post dealer cost online but it's enough less to cover shipping and make them a decent gamble)
Old January 06, 2018, 09:50   #39
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
It's gonna be awhile on the G3's yet,......they were still $75/100 delivered two months ago. That was a Black Friday deal but still. Someone must be sitting on a warehouse full of them.

Tip on the M10/9 doublestacks,....keep your eyes open for Czech VZ23/25 mags. Not something you're likely gonna find on a net search but if you beat the bushes(especially at places like Knob Creek)you can find them. The sellers never know what they are so you need to be prepared yourself. They're the mags for the 9mm version of the common VZ24/26 and come in 25rd and 40rd sizes. That's where Walther came up with the MPL/K mags which is what the original M10/9 mags are.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 10:44   #40
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Depends on what you mean by "a pile". 50 cents a pop isn't likely to show up on a retail site, its probably cheaper to throw them away than it it to sell them in small qtys at that price. But If they were 75 cents a pop SHIPPED in 100 lots, my guess is they could be had for less with a large qty. I don't remember all the vendors I bought from, but the boxes were large and heavy, and I wasn't buying off the website.

The problem with G3 mags vs. AR/.22 ammo os that comparatively nobody owns a G3.

Anyway, back to the origins of the topic, my mags should be here today. Not as cheap as I'd hoped but close enough for now.

Last edited by kfranz; January 06, 2018 at 10:55.
Old January 06, 2018, 18:08   #41
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Mags arrived. They are as advertised. Lots of finish wear, some have remnants of blue or red paint, some have some tape. All are solid and dent free. Center and Okay mfg ban era mags. No complaints on initial inspection. Thanks for the heads up NHB
Old January 06, 2018, 19:17   #42
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
This whole thread is one serious

like Huey I had bought into just huge boxes of USGI mags pre 94' well under a buck each. By 98' I was pulling close to a twenty dollar bill apiece on functional junk.

Another scammy deal was swapping Law Enforcement out of preban for new LEO only mags. Cops got new mags, I took in the used prebans for negative money. Think Glock mags which were up into the $70 range used back then. I was selling them at $45 as fast as I took them in.

little sidebar
after we made ground in Afganistan our boys experienced a severe mag shortage. I was one of a number of folks who donated LEO only mags to the war effort. Couple hundred on our end alone.
my seem like pissing cash away but it all came back in small contracts for items DoD was slow to supply like Magpul bits for M16s. I was running an easy 200% mark up over investment.
Don't feel bad in the least, the mark ups on plywood & OSB reached over 1000% at times. I was in the wrong business.

I'm not involved in that shit in any way any more but one can make an easy fortune on subcontracts

Junker mags ?
Well thats often just the backside cream in these operations
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 21:17   #43
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
This whole thread is one serious

like Huey I had bought into just huge boxes of USGI mags pre 94' well under a buck each. By 98' I was pulling close to a twenty dollar bill apiece on functional junk.

Another scammy deal was swapping Law Enforcement out of preban for new LEO only mags. Cops got new mags, I took in the used prebans for negative money. Think Glock mags which were up into the $70 range used back then. I was selling them at $45 as fast as I took them in.

little sidebar
after we made ground in Afganistan our boys experienced a severe mag shortage. I was one of a number of folks who donated LEO only mags to the war effort. Couple hundred on our end alone.
my seem like pissing cash away but it all came back in small contracts for items DoD was slow to supply like Magpul bits for M16s. I was running an easy 200% mark up over investment.
Don't feel bad in the least, the mark ups on plywood & OSB reached over 1000% at times. I was in the wrong business.

I'm not involved in that shit in any way any more but one can make an easy fortune on subcontracts

Junker mags ?
Well thats often just the backside cream in these operations
Wasn't a "scammy deal", everybody with the contacts "upgraded" their local or not so local PD's with new mags and got the prebans into circulation amongst the "no longer allowed" crowd. And you weren't the only one sending surplus mags back into the system.
Old January 08, 2018, 23:59   #44
lockjaw
Registered

Quote:

I missed this.

I left you feedback that you earned.

Yet, I am trolling you? Appears to me, that you are the troll here.

I'm a "special kind of snow flake?" You admitted through our conversations that you knew little about USGI M16 series rifles and parts. I offered you input based upon my experience as an armor trained by Uncle Sam, and 20 years+ experience in the military, stateside and three combat deployments. That's me, a "snow flake."

You tried to play me..... actually, you succeeded. I trusted you. You f**ked me over. I called you on it. Now your butt is hurt, your the "victim." There are hundreds of thousands of inmates with the same sob story. Congrats, you changed your descriptions (including your sales posts on other forums for M16 parts) only because I called you out. You have zero honor, yet I'm a snow flake. Roger that, got it.
Old January 09, 2018, 00:30   #45
lockjaw
Registered

Quote:
LOL.. Well that answers my question as to why there are so many used Colt BCGs showing up for sale.. NOT.. Wasn't expecting you to give up your source, just why they got swapped out. I was just curious. Never done business with ya but that dosn't mean I wouldn't. I came close to buying one from you and the only reason I didn't was because it was a dirt cheap build intended to use up a bunch of stuff I either had laying around collecting dust or that was free and I found a cheaper one with low miles and it came with a CH. Just to pass the time. Free barrel from the Bear Creek Arsenal Veterans Day giveaway. Creative trading and some stuff left over from other builds. Total cost, under 200 bucks and it goes bang every time... Apologies to Ken for the interruption. Happy New Year fellas
I answered this question in the thread that was deleted.

Colt rifles are very common. Many armchair commandos want the coolest, flashiest, most en vogue parts on their AR rifles. To some guys, an AR is the equivalent to a chick's purse or pair of shoes. The boringly reliable, yet still inferior mil-spec Colt BCG (in the eyes of Internet armchair commandos) gets sold off to buy that new shiny BCG with shiny coating and cool name attached to it.

On the flip side, Colt BCGs are boringly reliable with a proven track record over decades of military service. They are a no-brainer choice for someone who wants to build a reliable no-BS AR.

Now, with decades of Colt M16 type platforms serving Uncle Sam, these rifles were/are often refurbished and upgraded. The take-off parts sometimes end up on the civilian market, through sometimes questionable channels, sometime not questionable (auctioned in lots to the highest bidder, typically as scrap, with servicable parts found in the fray). Uncle Sam has upgraded their arsenal of M4 rifles to the M4A1 platform, and refurbishment or M16A4 platforms. Ironically, there is a bunch of surplus Colt BCGs currently all over the civilian market for cheap.

I suggested that a buyer of Factory Colt BCGs look for the C mark on the carrier, MPC marked bolt, and white paint dot on the bolt (which takes a couple hundred or more rounds to wear off). This way, the buyer knows they are getting a real deal, low round count, mil-spec Colt BCG.

Last edited by lockjaw; January 09, 2018 at 00:39.
Old January 09, 2018, 00:44   #46
lockjaw
Registered

Quote:
This guy just had a bunch for $4.50 each. Website says sold out but he gets them in all the time. Might pay to drop him an email. https://mcgunshow.com/collections/magazines
Thank you for the link as well.
Old January 09, 2018, 09:13   #47
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "a pile". 50 cents a pop isn't likely to show up on a retail site, its probably cheaper to throw them away than it it to sell them in small qtys at that price. But If they were 75 cents a pop SHIPPED in 100 lots, my guess is they could be had for less with a large qty. I don't remember all the vendors I bought from, but the boxes were large and heavy, and I wasn't buying off the website.

The problem with G3 mags vs. AR/.22 ammo os that comparatively nobody owns a G3.

Anyway, back to the origins of the topic, my mags should be here today. Not as cheap as I'd hoped but close enough for now.
I would buy at least 400 to 500 at 75 cents each. If remember a number or contact let me know. I know more people who own G3/HK91's than FN FAL's plus the Drunken Monkey's® keep sending out CETME's for bether or worse. I live in a FAL vacuum where if see one every other gun show its a big deal and can't rember seeing two at same show. I too am waiting to see what get in the guy in post #3 link sends. If the rough are not terrible negotiating a bulk buy just for the floorplates and throw rest of mag in parts bin could be worthwhile someday. I will hoard anything including Glock mags and never owned one.
Old January 11, 2018, 12:27   #48
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Got my mags from guy in post #3. The "well used" and the and the "used" were as described. The used were in the need a good cleaning and new spring catagory to me. The well used function but would not trust for defense or serious range use without rebuilding. Biggest issue were almost half had "for law enforcement or military use only" stamped on magazine body. If mining these for old classics or prebans none of mine fit these catagories. Have no idea what implications the "for law enforcement or military use only" will have on use in ban states or anywhere in U.S. at some point.

Bought all he had, this is what got from the mix of well used, used and new.

Either on one side or both sides of bodies almost half of used said this. Some said on floorplates as well.

Used from top. When saw the green followers heart jumped and hoped to see Colt markings floorplates. No joy on that, mix of standard milsurp manufacturers. Need good cleaning and springs. Sure they would function o.k. for a while with just a good cleaning and no springs but I am a freak about fresh springs in mags that have reputation for liking spring replacements.

Worst part was this was all I could buy in a single purchase before cart said out of inventory. May order the well used in the 16 count option for 48 total mags to pilfer and see if a jewel or two popped out but something tells me the seller knows how to identify collectible magazines. If the used were not price of new stainless and out of stock even in singles would take a risk and order a 16 count to see if anything special popped out. If anyone finds any Pony marked mags in their buys from this vendor please post them up.