Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old November 13, 2017, 08:47   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
FN49 odd furniture question

I think my FN49 stock is bent and I need help seeing where. So, if you have one of those rifles and feel brave,

1. Remove stock off the rifle
2. Lay it upside down so the part that goes on the barrel is flat and straight on your table.
3. Measure the height at those turns around the receiver.

I will measure mine tonight and tell you what I am seeing
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017, 11:49   #2
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

I got sidetracked and only today took a picture of my setup. I placed the stock on a piece of glass and put some weight on the front until the entire front was flush against the glass. Then I chose 3 places where the stock bends around the receiver as my data points.

Since I thought I was not that good measuring with the caliper (I kept canting it), i decided to accept my limitations and got some pieces of cardstock which I taped to glass and then held them against the stock (one at a time) and then marked the position of the stock on it. Finally I measured the marked position with a caliper. I ended up measuring the front and rear of each strip of cardstock just because.

So the numbers in mm are:
Code:
               front of strip       Rear of strip
Front            13.00                    12.42
Middle           10.60                     9.53
Rear              8.90                     8.45
Could anyone repeat my measurements so we can get data points to find out if my stock is bent or something else is going on? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN49-2_40-sm.jpg (168.1 KB, 37 views)
Old December 28, 2017, 16:22   #3
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Here is a picture showing how barrel and wood seem to have parted ways:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN49-2_49-sm.jpg (88.3 KB, 23 views)
Old December 29, 2017, 15:16   #4
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

May not be bent after all

Two things I noticed today playing with it:
  1. The magazine is loose, as if it has loads of space on the front.
  2. Rounds are not touching the ejector.

I can put a snap cap, grab it using the bolt, and move it back and forth and it will never reach the ejector.
That sure makes me thing that either the receiver is ridding too high or the trigger guard too low. The trigger guard may not look flush here

But it is. This picture might show it better:

So, what if the receiver is not getting properly seated in its hole? How to check? Make me wish I had some putty I could goo between receiver and wood and see where it squishes. Here is a picture of the stock around where the locking shoulder goes:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN49-2_51-sm.jpg (125.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg FN49-2_52-sm.jpg (197.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg FN49-2_54-sm.jpg (207.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg FN49-2_57-sm.jpg (244.6 KB, 8 views)
Old December 29, 2017, 18:42   #5
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Two things I noticed today playing with it:
  1. The magazine is loose, as if it has loads of space on the front. It shouldn't be loose. Does the magazine hold the follower captive in the box? If so, it's a .30-06 mag and should fit tight unless something is bent or something is wrong with the mag catch or mag catch spring. If the magazine box does NOT hold the follower captive, it may be a 7.92 Mauser box which is about .11" shorter than the '06 mag box
  2. Rounds are not touching the ejector. I can put a snap cap, grab it using the bolt, and move it back and forth and it will never reach the ejector. It should hit the ejector (assuming the bolt is traveling all the way to the rear). Is the ejector intact - the tip not broken off? Otherwise, as you said, this could be an indication that either the receiver or TG assy are not seated properly in the stock
That sure makes me thing that either the receiver is ridding too high or the trigger guard too low. The trigger guard may not look flush here
But it is. This picture might show it better:
It's hard to see by the photos if the receiver and TG assy are properly seating - you're just going to have to eyeball it yourself. If you push the receiver down into the stock, then look up through the magazine port (with NO TG assy installed), you should be able to tell if it's contacting the stock properly. Same with the TG assembly - push it into the stock (with NO receiver installed), then look down through the magazine port and guard screw holes to see if it appears to be properly seated.

So, what if the receiver is not getting properly seated in its hole? How to check? As mentioned in the other thread, you can check the interface between the receiver and TG assy without the stock to make sure the top recess on the TG assembly is properly mating with the front guard screw boss on the bottom of the receiver. Make me wish I had some putty I could goo between receiver and wood and see where it squishes. Here is a picture of the stock around where the locking shoulder goes:
See comments in red italic above.

Basically, you're going to have to eyeball all this yourself, it's too hard to see from the pics.

ALSO - this is a Lux "AL" receiver - right? Is it serial numbered between 1001 and 5000 OR between 5001 and 7000?
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 22:00   #6
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Here is an update, based on what we talked offline:
  1. Both of the magazines I have do not fit the mag hole in a 8mm Mauser receiver. Also their follower have an upside down "30" on them. So I assume them to be 30-06.
  2. As you mentioned in the other thread, my receiver is also a lower number and as a result does not have the cutout for the crossbolt. As soon as I removed the crossbolt off, thanks to my 10+ year old small Chinese needle nose pliers, it came right in. Tight but it now looks much better.

3. Unrelated to the issue, but is it me or there is really not much wood behind the receiver. It does feel like the receiver's butt is a bit on the air.
  4. Now magazine locks nicely in place and the bolt hold open works as it should.

Thanks for all the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN49-2_75-sm.jpg (210.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FN49-2_73-sm.jpg (121.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FN49-2_72-sm.jpg (215.0 KB, 5 views)