The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old January 01, 2018, 07:42   #1
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
What Proof Mark is this? (Found What I Was Searching For)

I found this Proof Mark on one of my Hammers...

https://i.imgur.com/ZKOiKVV.jpg?1

Any idea where it was manufactured?

Is that the official "Belgian Proof"?

Last edited by Orion the Hunter; January 07, 2018 at 06:51.
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 08:38   #2
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
It's not a Belgian proof mark (which would be applied by the Liege Proof House) - it's an FN date-coded inspection stamp that indicates that the hammer was made and inspected by FN and met the established requirements. The three-sided box and the "I" indicate the part was stamped in the first trimester (quarter) of 1961.
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 08:38   #3
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
FN date code proof; 1st Quarter(Jan-March) 1961, backwards "1" in a box with left,bottom and right side.
Old January 01, 2018, 09:45   #4
Orion the Hunter
Registered

So how does all the Inspection Stamps go?

Obviously there is a key to the madness.... but could someone explain how it all goes? So the “I” or “1” means 1961? If it was 1962, then there would be a “2” and then a “3” and so on? How far does that code run to (in other words, what came out in 1970?)

I think I get the box code now in that (1) Side gone means first quarter....(2) sides gone mean second quarter etc? Or is there some meaning behind the “backwards 1”?

So if I have this correct let’s say there was a (7) and one side of a box = 1967 between Oct -Dec?

Last edited by Orion the Hunter; January 01, 2018 at 09:56.
Old January 01, 2018, 09:58   #5
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
Yes and no ....

Forward numbers were the 50's, backward numbers were the 60's ... also letters (Latin and Greek) were used. Then there were circles and triangles, etc ... You have to examine the total piece and all the markings to make total sense of it all. In some cases it is absolute. In others it is not.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates

Last edited by 4markk; January 01, 2018 at 10:04.
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 14:27   #6
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Does anyone have a “FN Inspection Mark Legend”

4markk

Do you (or anyone else) know where I could locate a FN Inspection Mark Legend that spells out what the circles/triangles and all the various codes Stand for? I have most of the common books and articles pertaining to FALS and there is nothing about anything of them.
Old January 01, 2018, 14:35   #7
Orion the Hunter
Registered

What is their all for?

Reason being is that I have a Rhody Lower (actually I ya d 3 of then) and I discovered the “Boxed I” on the trigger. Further investigation has also revealed a mark of what sort of looks like a “Capital A” stamped in the inside of the receiver. According to your description, this may be a FN Manifacturedd Lower..which would make my day, because I could put all those parts in my PARA Lower and have a huge step towards a FN Para!

I have hunted everywhere for info on what these damn codes mean and it would be so nice to find a Cheat Sheet Legend that simply puts it all on paper for all to see.

Last edited by Orion the Hunter; January 01, 2018 at 16:40.
Old January 01, 2018, 15:02   #8
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
There isn't any full documentation available anywhere..

Some of the single stamps were for individual inspectors, others various armory proof marks, others date marks and so on. There is a general idea of what things are but there is no complete list of the specific inspectors nor the marks they used.

In general most of the marks you might find don't really matter anyway.
Old January 01, 2018, 15:56   #9
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion the Hunter View Post
Reason being is that I have a Thody Lower (actually I ya d 3 of then) and I discovered the “Boxed I” on thale trigger. Further investigation has also revealed a mark of what sort of looks like a “Capital A” stamped in the inside of the receiver. According to your description, this may be a FN Manifacturedd Lower..which would make my day, because I could put all those parts in my PARA Lower and have a huge step towards a FN Para!

I have hunted everywhere for info on what these damn codes mean and it would be so nice to find a Cheat Sheet Legend that simply puts it all on paper for all to see.
Check under the pistol grip in the trigger plunger holder, there may be a mark there also.

Are there lightening cuts inside the lower?

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 16:29   #10
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion the Hunter View Post
4markk

Do you (or anyone else) know where I could locate a FN Inspection Mark Legend that spells out what the circles/triangles and all the various codes Stand for? I have most of the common books and articles pertaining to FALS and there is nothing about anything of them.
The listing of FN inspection/date code stamps has been floating around for quite a while. I have it, but it was provided to me specifically for use in the 2nd edition of my book so I'm going to honor that source and not post it on-line. It is apparent that several other folks on this thread have it as well and may offer to share it.

Regarding the various marks that appear on the rifle, I have an 8-page chapter, with about 30 images and several data tables in the 1st edition of my FN-49 book. That chapter will grow to 12-14 pages in the upcoming 2nd edition. I can't say if there are any FAL books out there that provide similar coverage.

To cover the topic briefly, there are four basic categories of markings found on the FN-49 (and probably on an FN-produced FAL). Often, these different markings are lumped into a bucket called "proofs" - which is often incorrect.

1) Proof marks - applied only by the Liege proof house. On an FN-49 there is the Final (or) Definitive proof mark applied to the barrel when the assembled rifle is fired with a proof-load cartridge. Then, the proof house performs an inspection of rifle components that have a major effect on safety - these usually involve breech-locking. On an FN-49, the "proved" (inspected) components are (in addition to the barrel), the receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, and receiver cover. A Liege proof mark called the "Perron" is applied to these parts. Then, next to the proof marks (both Final/Definitive and Perron), you will find a star with a capital letter under it. This is the code for the Liege proof house controller (inspector) that approved the parts. These letter codes are usually of little value in dating a firearm since these controllers often had periods of employment of 20 or 30 years.

2) FN marks - These include the inspection/date codes mentioned above. These indicate that the part was inspected, met requirements, and was stamped with the date code stamp. These markings identify the year and trimester (quarter) of the inspection. These marks are sometimes useful in dating an original, unaltered rifle. All date-stamped parts would have to be reviewed and after identifying the LATEST year/trimester, all you could say is that the rifle was assembled in that trimester or LATER (this is because, depending on production rates, a part could be in a parts bin for quite a while before being used). There are other FN markings consisting of single letter or number stampings that appear in various places on an FN-49 - these are not inspection stamps but rather probably deal with lot control, in-process checks, etc. prior to final inspection.

3) Contract acceptance marks - These include markings applied by the customer (or by FN when authorized by the customer) indicating acceptance of the completed rifle (and sometimes individual parts or accessories for a rifle). These can help identify the contract/customer for the rifle but can't usually be used for dating a firearm.

4) After delivery, military-applied marks: These were applied by the various using nations and mean all sorts of things.
I cover these for the FN-49 in either the markings chapter or the individual contract chapters.

The above applies to the FN-49 and should generally apply to FN-produced FALs (although I personally know little about FN FAL markings as that's not my field and the only FAL I own is a SAR-48!).

FWIW

Goose
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 18:18   #11
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Listing of FN Inspection/Date Code Stamps

As Goose mentions, it sounds like there may be a listing of listing of FN inspection/date code stamps that has been floating around FalFiles for awhile.

I have done search after search with name after name and haven't' been able to find it. As mentioned in a previous post, I did find a very handy Inch Code Legend at this location:
http://a.dle.free.fr/FAL/FAL_Rifles_...SAIS_No_12.pdf (see page 49).

This doesn't help me very much on my Metric Quest.

If someone could help me out by emailing me a pdf of the FN one that is mentioned above to: greaternorthroad@hotmail.com I would be extremely grateful...

Much Thanks,
Orion
Old January 06, 2018, 09:11   #12
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Still on the Hunt...

If you have a reference of the FN Inspection Codes Scheme, I would be very thankful to have a copy for my own personal interest and library as well.

Please email to greaternorthroad@hotmail.com

Thank you,
Orion the Hunter
Old January 07, 2018, 06:50   #13
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Finally found what I was looking for...

I was able to locate a copy of the FN Inspection Code Legend...

...and am not bound by the code of silence.