The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old December 29, 2017, 13:02   #1
MJ1
Registered

FALaholic #: 74934
Anyone handle the Ruger GP100 .44 Spl. 3" yet ?

I did see a buffed up DA only on FB yesterday.

Kind of nifty five shooter.
MJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 10:16   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
No Hammer?
5 shooter? WTH, no biggie there I s'pose.
"Read the Instruction Manual Stupid" inscription on barrel?

Pass.
Old December 30, 2017, 10:24   #3
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I bought one of the first ones mfg’d when they came out and didn’t care for it. Bore axis felt like it was a foot from the web of my thumb, grouped all over the place. A friend of mine had to have it to I let it go. I was disappointed as the .44 Spl is one of my favorite cartridges and was pumped when Ruger announced the GP in it, but it wasn’t for me.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 16:40   #4
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I had a GP100 357 as my first hand gun. Never liked the DA pull even with lighter springs. Love shooting S&W revolvers.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018, 12:40   #5
MJ1
Registered

GP100 .44 SP

I think I will still test drive one and see for my self. thank you for the replies.

Old January 15, 2018, 12:55   #6
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I've looked at it several times and passed. I just dont see the advantage in a 44 spl over a 357 if I'm going to lose one round. Not sure how far you can push it with reloads and dont want to find out. GP100 is my favorit DA revolver but the new 7 shot .357 they just came out with looks to be a better bet.

Now if they could pull off a 5 shot 41 Mag that would be something...

Last edited by Impala_Guy; January 15, 2018 at 13:04.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018, 16:35   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Bought a Ruger GP 100 in 357 back when we're relatively new and was the quickest wheelgun to leave my ownership other than the RG's we used to buy, blow up in a Ransom Rest then pitch in the lake. Never liked the way it felt or pointed. But I never liked Redhawks either. Traded my last Redhawks off for a suppressor before the new Trust rules took effect. Like my Ruger single actions, especially my Flat Tops but never held on to a Ruger DA wheelgun long.

Rather have a Taurus or a Rossi as handle more like a Smith and cheap enough to use as tackle box and tool box guns. Have a 3" Rossi five shot 44 Special that lives in truck with five speed loaders 24/7/365 for over 20 years. It's my last line of defense if truck rifle and primary carry run dry or die. Have a 4" Taurus six shot 357 with pile of speedloaders that lives same type life under seat of my other truck since 2007.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018, 23:21   #8
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I have been trying hard to talk myself out of ordering one of these GP100 in 44Spl. I am a fan of the 44spl and of Ruger single action Blackhawks. But I have never owned a GP 100. Like Huey I am not a fan of the redhawk. The only one I own has not seen the light of day in about 15 years. Every year I threaten to ship it off to Bowen to have it made into something I might use. The nearest place that has the GP in 44spl on the shelves, (that I can find) is six hours south of me. So I haven't been able to handle one. I don't want to order one if it's going to be awkward to carry or if Ruger decided to get sloppy with the chamber throats and it won't shoot well. The 3 inch barrel makes it handy for IWB carry in a simply rugged holster and the 44spl is more than enough for anything encountered in town. Hand loaded the round does fine on deer, black bear and even moose at woods range. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has shot one how the accuracy was.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018, 10:41   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Hi skeeterbay, nice to see you posting again. The warm weather thaw you out?

This 44 Ruger looks like a good compact piece to pack when you don't want to carry the Redhawk or "N" frame, but I still want my HAMMER.
Old January 25, 2018, 13:31   #10
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
I had a ss one in 357 I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn standing in a stall
Don't care for it
I gave it to junior
No wonder he likes glocks
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 15:39   #11
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Mainer, I saw the picture of one with a bobbed hammer but all the ones i have seen advertised on line had hammers.

Now days I really think long and hard before buying anything new that comes out. It seems to be hit or miss on quality with most gun companies these days. Published reviews are more times than not little more than an advert for the gun. It's disappointing when you buy something and it doesn't meet the minimum standards it was designed for.

Ard Choille!
Old January 26, 2018, 18:25   #12
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Yeah, truth told there. While a compact 44 Special sounds good, I already have a S&W M24 and a Cimarron SA and I AM trying to pare down the handgun collection, honest I am.
Old January 26, 2018, 20:21   #13
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

I should be thinking about thinning the herd not buying another.

Ard Choille!
Old January 27, 2018, 18:22   #14
littlehoot
Registered

FALaholic #: 11432
I have one, it feels good to me, offhand accuracy out of the box is good, I'll see what I can get out of it when I get a pretty weather day off from work.
Old February 11, 2018, 22:49   #15
MJ1
Registered

I like it and the wife likes it.

She thinks it will make a good horseback carry. Ammo seems rare on the shelves so I bought cases and already have LEE dies in .44 MAG. some Bullseye, IMR 4227, Blue Dot and ACC #7. A box of HORNADY 240g SWC's. So it's off to the races.

Old February 12, 2018, 00:13   #16
NFADLR
curmudgeon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7480
Those rugers are fun!!

NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018, 09:51   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

When Freedom Arms was only way to get a 454 Casull Mag my mom was second person to shoot mine. In her late 70's and will still shoot 44 Mag with 6" or longer barrel. She doesn't fight recoil but let's the gun roll up and keeps her hands on it. If she stops by work when have the range lit up she always shoots a few rounds to keep tuned up. She started shooting bowling pins and IPSC in late 1970's and could out shoot my dad any day of the week with any gun.

What I just saw above is reason I don't go to indoor ranges except my own anymore and careful on public outdoor ranges. Bought my first piece of body armor for range use due to morons. Last indoor range I visited was teaching a husband/wife class and had the three lanes farthese right reserved. Like far right as my brass piles up against wall and easy to retrieve plus only have Yahoo's on one side to worry about. Had both clients in vests as was selling them armor as well so good way to test fit and train with it on plus be safer on the range.

Young guy had three submachine guns in far left lane and half a dozen people with him. He handed what looked to be a 14 year old girl an Uzi with full magazine on rock-n-roll. When she grabbed the trigger she immediately lost control and sprayed an arc across the range hitting target to right of her as it climbed toward ceiling and by mid range was taking out light fixtures and last round hit right hand wall about 25 feet in front of me. Packed up my people and left but before we got out manager was evicting the group. Owner of the guns didn't see what the problem was since nobody got hurt and he offered to pay for damages. Turned out the girl had never held a firearm of any type in her life till handed an Uzi with full mag and only instructions were pull trigger and hold on.

The closest 100 yard rifle range with decent benches to me tends to attract Yahoo's of varying levels. If had a good session when really goofy people show up go ahead and leave. If people are minor goofy put space between us. When get to range, walk down the line and check out what's up and decide if stay, go or where to set up. On occasion get targets set, rifle rest set up, wind flags, guns out plan to sight in, test or just shoot and before even get settled in have a group of total morons show up and behave in manner endangering themselves, other and me.

Usually these are the folks using cigarette butts, fingers in ears and sharing a pair of muffs or foam ear plugs as only hearing protection which take out when not at the line. If get totally on my last nerve go get a big muzzle brake rifle out of truck. Always carry one even though seldom shoot at the 100 yard range unless need to verify a scope quickly. Last time was in this situation was a group that were sharing a single pair of plugs and same gun while took turns shooting and watching. Had a bump fire AK and were shooting targets of other shooters to either side of them as took turns spraying mag dumps. I had not finished tuning and adjusting optics on first of three builds brought.

Finally walked to truck and grabbed a custom 7mm Practical with muzzle brake. Set it up, hollered up and down the line for all to put on ears as was unleashing a beast. Yahoo's ignored me and didn't stick fingers in ears, settled into rifle, had it on target and watching out of peripheral as squeezed off the round. They all were rocked and obviously had their bells rung. Watched some shooters with muffs dig plugs out of kit and put under muffs for dounle protection. Waited 30 seconds, hollered up and down line for ears and watched folks with single ear protection put hands over ears as well and the Yahoo's all covered ears with hands. Launched second round and they all still were obviously rocked with over pressure. One wandered over and asked how much more intended to shoot that big gun, replied three more time for five shot group then go get its big brother and repeat. They packed up and left, I put the big 7mm away and rest of shooters seemed relieved they were gone as well as the 7mm Practical.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old February 13, 2018, 11:37   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

If you can lay hands on a Rossi 720 in fluted or unfluted cylinder will not regret it. 3" barrel and five shot cylinder and respond well to magnaporting. Heavy little gun with the fully shrouded barrel so easy to handle in 44 special whether SA or DA. Have a pair of speed loaders in pouch plus three lined up in tray of truck console. Carry a fluted model in truck and my unfluted model sits in original box as vault queen. They take a fine trigger job and the factory rubber grips are very comfortable. Easy to find on used market at fair price.

Would not hesitate to carry as a primary defensive pistol. In 90% of all civilian armed encounters if situation is not handled in your first five shots your likely screwed. With a pair of speed loaders have 15 rounds which should get one through a fairly serious situation unless a rifle is only real option due to distance. On occasion will put in back right hip pocket with a single speed loader in left front pocket or in right hand pocket of coat with pair of speed loaders in left pocket. Would not trade my Rossi's one for two Ruger GP 100's.

Wife was carrying a Charter Arms Bulldog in pocket day we met. Was her primary carry. I own and have owned Bulldogs in 38 and 44. Still own her 38 and one of my 44 specials. The Charter Arms are not near as nice as the Rossi five shots. Own a consequtive serial number set of Smith M60 38's and a Smith 696 five shot 44 special. Once smooth the trigger out and shoot the Rossi a few hundred rounds with eyes closed can't tell any difference between the Smith and the Rossi. Also own a Taurus M85 five shot 38 special. Again with a little trigger work and a few rounds down range it shoots as well as a Smith M60 and paid $150 for mine a while back plus cost of spring kit and time working it over. Paid $175 for the Rossi five shot 44 special though they tend to run up closer to $275 now but a nice gun still at that price.

Last edited by hueyville; February 13, 2018 at 11:42.
Old February 16, 2018, 14:11   #19
MJ1
Registered

Sad to see such negativity from so many experts on a pistol I don't many have tried. All the ladies in my family shoot the .44 Mag. and are excited to see a smaller package that will horseback and hike with more comfort than the 5" 629. We saw a lot of bear sat on the trails last year and they have all talked with locals about what to carry out back. I showed one of the girls this post and her comment was a single word I had to go and look up. Roughly it means grumpy old farts. LOL

Tomarrow will be an interesting range day.

Again thank you for your opinions what ever they may be.