The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old December 16, 2017, 11:08   #1
Casqui1541
Registered

FALaholic #: 75204
Repairing Crack In Plastic L1A1 Handguard?

Has anyone found an adhesive/epoxy that works for repairing cracks in the plastic
(Maranyl) L1A1 handguards. I need to repair a crack that runs along the rear flange part that goes into the handguard retaining ferrule on the rifle. Due to flexing of the handguard when installing this area is under tension.

Thanks in advance. I'd rather go with a known solution right off than have to go through a process of elimination of things that won't work.
Casqui1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 12:58   #2
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Jonesboro? My sister lives in Truman!
Not sure what temp maranyl melts at. A trick with ATV fenders is to use an iron,clean the crack,and sorta weld it back together. I'd maybe even try epoxy.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 13:25   #3
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
You can buy non-cracked L1A1 handguards pretty easily which I suspect will be a step above any type of plastic repair. Something to consider.

If it were me (and it is not, but if it were), I would contact yellowhand for some of his beautiful refinished wood furniture.

If YH is out of stock, I believe Gunplumber has some L1A1 wood that YH refinished at a fair price.

If you want to go "upscale", Flypaper makes some beautiful aftermarket wood.

If you have not already figured this out, I LOVE the look of a wood furniture L1A1. Sexy !!!
Old December 16, 2017, 23:18   #4
Casqui1541
Registered

Yes, Truman is close. Just made a pit stop there on the way back from Memphis tonight. Went to the Bass Pro HQ they put in the pyramid at Memphis and had some BBQ at The Rendezvous.

Just bought the plastic handguards and discovered the crack. Should have asked if there were any cracks before purchase. The rifle has beautiful original wood, but at some point, someone altered the dimensions of the insides of the handguard panels. They don't have the original contact points and fit loosely. I was wanting to use the plastic ones until I figured out how to properly restore the original wood ones. As nice as they are exterior wise and how well they match the wood buttstock, carry handle, and grip, I would hate for them to get damaged due to their current loose fit. Perhaps, I need to see if "yellowhand" can help with this. I definitely don't do wood work.
Old December 20, 2017, 10:21   #5
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Brownell's Acraglass would be my suggestion. I have used it on many repairs from a Remy 1100 forearm split to reattaching a Marble cover to a brass hinge on a Jewelry box.
Floc can be added to strengthen or fill a crack. A fiberglass pad or strip can be used inside a handguard to provide extra strength.

You can use the Acra glass on your wood handguards by building a modeling clay dam to add material in the areas you need to build up. Once set, remove the clay and reshape to size.

Using a Soldering Iron is a good idea also if it can be done on the inside. Filling the repaired area with epoxy and sanding it flush can be done to give a better appearance if desired.
Old December 20, 2017, 13:24   #6
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I repaired an NBC synthetic handguard cracked in the same area with a generous application of JB Weld. It is holding up well.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017, 17:26   #7
Casqui1541
Registered

Thank you for the suggestions. They give me a starting point.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:30   #8
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
MEK?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 00:12   #9
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
I Was Thinking...

Any thoughts on how regular old black PVC Sewerpipe glue would work? Has anyone tried that yet?
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 01:08   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
I use plain old Testers model airplane cement, just open the windows before using.

It holds perfectly fine, got a repaired set on my STg, holds up great to heat, etc. 400 or so so rounds and all is well.

Just glue up the crack, put pressure on it to keep tight while drying, should be fine.

On your wood handguards, I can repair the insides, if all it is that the contact/guide points, front or rear are missing/damaged, do it a lot where the wood just breaks off or is worn down from 60 years of use.

I have a lot of junker sets to strip sections/pieces off of for repairs, or I just use a block of wood and remake the contours by hand on internal areas.

PM if I can help, with a couple of photos of damaged areas.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 01:15   #11
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

oh forgot, you can use regular old painters tape over the crack on the show side of the repair, just place it tight over the crack, then glue up the crack from the inside, by slightly twisting the crack open, then use tape or whatever to put pressure on the crack to seal it tight till glue sets.
Testors cement will melt the plastic together, the tape keeps it from leaving a mark on the outside, if done properly.
And clean, clean, and clean again, the area, last time with alcohol to remove all the old oil.
Good luck.

Old December 27, 2017, 10:05   #12
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Isn't Testors cement MEK anyway?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 14:16   #13
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Isn't Testors cement MEK anyway?
It might be, never looked at what its made of or with.
I'll look when I hit the shop this afternoon.

If that crack is in a high stressed area, might be prudent to use reinforcements.

Old December 30, 2017, 17:05   #14
Casqui1541
Registered

I tried the Testors in my model kit, but it didn't hold. However, Krazy Glue Maximum Bond has now held for almost a week with the handguards installed. Super fast dry time for it as well.
Old January 06, 2018, 09:26   #15
Temp
Registered

FALaholic #: 10384
JB Weld
Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 14:18   #16
Casqui1541
Registered

Krazy Glue still holding after much handling and limited firing; tested to see if an indexing washer I made from a nylon coupler would withstand firing. So far, it too is holding up well.
Old January 06, 2018, 16:03   #17
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Good thoughts mostly all here.

Best method is a plastic welding kit, might check Eastmans on that.

making it all match up can be difficult but it's what some use to assemble cut up plastic fantastic HK guns like their 36

Cracks ?
Cyronacalate/superglue
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote