Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 23, 2017, 19:17   #1
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Things found in a Toyota pickup / the Grinch that impounded Christmas

Quote:
A routine traffic stop in York County, Nebraska, on Tuesday turned out to be anything but routine.
That’s because officers found 60 pounds of pot in the vehicle, which was occupied by an older couple traveling on Interstate 80, according to the York News-Times.
Deputies in York County stopped a Toyota Tacoma after it crossed the center line and the driver failed to signal. Deputies said they immediately smelled what appeared to be raw marijuana.
When drug-sniffing dogs confirmed their suspicion, officers searched the pickup and found the weed in boxes inside the pickup topper, the newspaper reported.
Quote:
Patrick Jiron, 80, was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana with the intent to deliver and having no drug tax stamp, both felonies.
Quote:
His wife, 70-year-old Barbara Jiron, was cited but not jailed due to what Vrbka described as ”some medical issues.”
Vrbka said the couple told police they were traveling to Vermont from Clearlake Oaks, California, and intended to give out the weed as Christmas presents, according to WOWT.com.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/older-cou...232425743.html
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 19:50   #2
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yep,

Nebraska State Patrol has a Task Force just to nail dopeheads coming out of Colorado. Surprised they made it that far east. Usually they get nailed around North Platte.

Was a big deal last year when couple of scholarship athletes became felons. Parents went bonkers on the State Patrol saying they were ruining kids lives with felony charges.

Crazy people want to keep the dope off the streets but dont arrest my kid for dope.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Last edited by Thorack; December 23, 2017 at 22:26.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 21:20   #3
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
dat old geezer better watch it when he drops the soap. I hope he enjoys the stay in da slamma with da other cons. good riddance .
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 21:41   #4
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quick math makes this north of $30,000 worth of marijuana.....would have been smarter to just confiscate it and send them on their way? Incarceration of an 80yo sounds like a big bill for the taxpayer.....set him free and let him answer to whomever he now owes $30,000....it'll work itself out at $0 taxpayer expense.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 21:58   #5
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
He is 80. Hopefully they show some leniency but then again.......Don't do the crime unless your willing to do the time. Even if they give the old doper 10 years it's pretty much a life sentence. I am amazed he didn't vaccuum seal the product.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 22:26   #6
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
...set him free and let him answer to whomever he now owes $30,000....it'll work itself out at $0 taxpayer expense.

I'm guessing that would be himself, probably grew it. And most likely, WAS going to give it away as Christmas gifts.

CA to VT... West Coast hippies visiting East Coast hippies.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 22:38   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
dat old geezer better watch it when he drops the soap. I hope he enjoys the stay in da slamma with da other cons. good riddance .
Pot is legal in Oregon, it seems odd to send folks to jail for it. Kali it legal after Jan 1 and Washington it's legal and in Colorado.

So they put an old man in jail and give him a million in healthcare over $33,000 in pot.
Old December 23, 2017, 22:53   #8
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Barbara Jiron, was cited but not jailed due to what Vrbka described as ”some medical issues.

My guess is they agreed to drive the stuff cross country because they desperately need the money (which was probably only a few G's). And the real drug dealer thought it was a good gamble because the odds of the couple being caught were as slim as it gets.

I hope they find and punish the drug dealer that gave them the stuff to deliver.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 22:54   #9
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post
I'm guessing that would be himself, probably grew it. And most likely, WAS going to give it away as Christmas gifts.
An 80 year old man growing and harvesting 60 pounds of weed? Right.
Old December 23, 2017, 23:56   #10
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Fugking silly is all it is. Fugking silly. The Nebraska state patrol ought to arrest all the corn farmers in Nebraska. That shit has caused just as much harm to the health of this nation as the wildwood weed.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 00:41   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I don't smoke it and I believe those who do risk hurting themselves but that's their free choice. I know a few people that smoke it that hold good jobs and get by just fine. Seems odd to keep throwing people in jail in some states while people do it legal in others.

"Former California Atty. Gen. Bill Lockyer is going from enforcing laws against marijuana to legally distributing the drug under the state’s new rules that allow the sale and possession of pot for recreational use.

With state-licensed sales of marijuana starting Jan. 1, Lockyer has co-founded a firm, C4 Distro, that will distribute packaged marijuana concentrates and edibles to stores in Los Angeles.

He says California’s new regulated system has a chance to be a model for the rest of the country.

“For me as somebody who was on the law enforcement side for so many years, I saw the inadequacies of the effort to regulate something just by calling it illegal,” Lockyer said. “I think legalizing will help stabilize and help legitimize this industry and result in better consumer protection and other public benefits.”

(Excerpt) Read more at*latimes.com*...

Do you think he isn't moving 60 pounds at a time?
Old December 24, 2017, 01:32   #12
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
An 80 year old man growing and harvesting 60 pounds of weed? Right.
yes, its plausible.

with certain basic factors included, which I falsely assumed was a given.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 01:57   #13
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

You can count on it that he was approached by someone offering a nice amount of cash to take the stuff across country.
Old December 24, 2017, 08:42   #14
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Were the intent to traffic it,one would think they would go to greater lengths to shield its smell.
Is Vermont a legal state to buy pot?
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 09:48   #15
Douglas S Graham
Registered

FALaholic #: 19332
The "war on weed" is totally ridiculous. Legal in one state, go to jail next door. What a joke. About as ridiculous as prohibition. WTF. People want to alter their state of mind, let 'em. As long as they aren't hurting anybody around them, I say, have at it. And if they die from drugs, one less body taking up space on the planet.
Douglas S Graham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 09:53   #16
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I'm surprised the feds haven't picked this up yet, and charged both of them with CONSPIRACY and PWID.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pwid - federal.jpg (110.1 KB, 31 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 10:05   #17
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

You can bet they are gonna get nailed with PWID. Then once they are convicted the Nebraska State patrol will get all the asset forfeiture proceeds.

Nebraska last year changed the law that the cops dont get the proceeds from asset forfeiture until the property owner is convicted. Its one step in the right direction, but you can be sure lots of folks are getting prosecuted. Brother in law is an attorney in Lincoln seen a serious uptick in business since Colorado legalized dope.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Old December 24, 2017, 10:13   #18
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I wonder whether they are holding pops in custody pending trial.

Assuming he even has the means to get back to Vermont, after having gone all-in to raise cash on a dumb idea like this, and the cops have seized his ride, what are the chances that he would return halfway across the country for trial? What are the chances that any prosecutor would extradite an 80-year-old all halfway across the country if he no-shows for trial?

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 10:43   #19
base704
Vampire Pilot
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14321
"Man made alcohol, God made weed. Who do you trust?"
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand, "The Nature of Government"
base704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 13:29   #20
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

Read the charges today in the Omaha paper they were arrested by county sheriff and released on a $100k bond. You can bet the bailbondsman is gonna get him back to Nebraska. Charged with PWID and no tax stamp.

Thorack

Old December 24, 2017, 13:31   #21
Cessnapilot89
Registered

FALaholic #: 67264
Found a suitcase full of it at work. That made for an interesting day with the police.
Cessnapilot89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 15:28   #22
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
In Vermont less than 2 ounces in possession is basically a traffic ticket. More than that jumps to a felony. These guys were a bit over
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 20:01   #23
Story
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1769 View Post
These guys were a bit over
If this was a Quentin Tarantino movie, this version would have been on the radio as they swerved down the highway.

Old December 29, 2017, 06:36   #24
Story
Registered

Plot twist

Quote:
The elderly couple who were arrested in Nebraska last week and accused of driving marijuana across the country to give as holiday gifts are the parents of a Vermont county deputy prosecutor.
Quote:
The elderly couple are parents to Justin Jiron, the chief deputy of Chittenden County, Vermont, state’s attorney, the Burlington Free Press reported. Chittenden County is located in Burlington, Vermont, which is home to about 160,000 people.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/elderly-c...142748528.html
Old December 29, 2017, 12:06   #25
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Land of the free? Yeah, right.

They doubtless knew the law, so I have little sympathy for them on that point. However, if it had been 60 lbs. of tobacco, no one would have batted an eye.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 14:20   #26
gunshack
Off Script
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17916
They're from Clearlake Oaks, Lake county, CA. Known for druggies of all types. The toothbrush was invented in Lake County. A large county with a sparse population and sparser opportunities.

But in all honesty I believe the old geezer. Lots of aging hippies move up there if they can't afford to stay in SF or Marin. Land is cheap and the climate allows pot to grow itself. Up there you can get over 60 pounds from 10 plants. No shit.

And if he says he was going to give it away I believe that too. He was coming from state where it's legal and taking to a state where it's legal. The wholesale market for marijuana in legal states has turned to shit. Prior to recreational legalization a wholesaler was getting up to $3k per pound for Mendocino, Lake, or Humboldt out-door grown. Now out-door is under a grand and even the indoor growers are having trouble getting $1200.

Now if he was on his way to Florida...

Last edited by gunshack; December 29, 2017 at 14:37.
gunshack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 14:28   #27
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
Quick math makes this north of $30,000 worth of marijuana.....would have been smarter to just confiscate it and send them on their way? Incarceration of an 80yo sounds like a big bill for the taxpayer.....set him free and let him answer to whomever he now owes $30,000....it'll work itself out at $0 taxpayer expense.
Holding someone responsible for their actions costs tax dollar $$$, regardless of their age.

Age is not, nor should not, be a "get out of jail" card. Sorry.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 14:31   #28
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
You can count on it that he was approached by someone offering a nice amount of cash to take the stuff across country.
Yep. Not uncommon, though loads are typically kilos or cocaine or heroin. Marijuana is a bit "pedestrian" nowadays.

Getting busted for transporting untaxed tobacco products is a more significant crime than getting busted with non-medical weed.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 17:22   #29
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfranz View Post
Fugking silly is all it is. Fugking silly. The Nebraska state patrol ought to arrest all the corn farmers in Nebraska. That shit has caused just as much harm to the health of this nation as the wildwood weed.
Yes sir. You are right.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote