Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old December 25, 2017, 15:56   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Accessory Light & N.V. Laser Combo

Have these two pistols want to add a combination light and laser to the rail. The SIG Tacops 1911 is going to have an Osprey 45 like Osprey 9 the SIG 2022 Tacops has. Have a set of Meprolight tritium sights for the 2022 that clear top of the Osprey can and the SIG 1911 Tacops 45's tritium sights clear the Osprey 45 fine.

The Hybrid suppressor works well on the 1911 but since it's rated to magnum rifle and running it's brother on a 7mm Rem Mag with no issues figure it's better suited on a rifle, may move it to one of my 45-70 lever guns or another big magnum rifle. Since both pistols are bulky with a can and mainly used as nightstand guns or go in my briefcase adding device to rail is no issue to way carried.

Laser needs to be night vision compatible and light in the 150 to 300 lumen range. More light than that and will grab a real flashlight. Want the option at night to have a light handy if in a hurry and laser aiming device if time to grab night vision device. Most of my N.V. is Gen 2+ and helmet mounted, helmet sits on bed post so not a huge issue to put on if needed to go outside and investigate something and didn't want to be a big target shining a light in every direction. Have I.R. lasers on a couple rifles and both have lights but are separate units. Pistol will have to be combined.

Do not own a green laser but have read where some people claim to use with night vision and others say they "bloom" at close range and wash out your N.V. Others say have homebrew filters over red lasers for use with night vision. While I love to experiment, not wanting to risk a big dead spot in any of my night vision devices from experimenting with a visible laser/filter combination that went amiss. If green laser is really safe with N.V. and can be used for aiming both with and without N.V. that might be a good option. If it's a big problem to use any visible laser with N.V. then I.R. will be my choice. Just want a pair of pistols can pick up and go to work no matter what other accessories might or might not have at the time during bright daylight or deep dark night.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 12:02   #2
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Well, to start Iíve never been a fan of lasers for sights. Iíve seen many people who shoot with out a laser sight go to sh*t with one because they start to chance the damn red dot everywhere trying to get it to hold still on the target.

So the only laser/light combos I know of the that fit what youíre looking for are the TLR2 from streamlight and then the PEQ2. The M6 is visible light in both laser and flashlight. The PEQ2 is IR laser and IR light. I donít know of any that you can switch between visible and IR light. The TLR2is much more streamlined than the PEQ2 and the PEQ2 was designed for mounting on a M16/M4 top rail.

Now most of us mere mortals are concerned with price, the TLR2 runs about $275 on the high end and the PEQ2 starts around $780 and goes up from there. Not sure what you get with the higher price. I had one guy on my team that had a PEQ2 but Iím not sure what brand it was but as I recall he spent about $1500 on it about 6 years ago. I donít remember him ever using it either.

Now, letís take a look here. These are being put on a pistol to be used in a stressful situation (looking for a bad guy/ checking out the bump in the night). If you can hit something at night while under stress with a handgun passed 25 yards you are amazing. Now, if it were me I would buy the either the TLR1 or Surefire X300 and use the bright center focused light as your aiming point as your bullets should hit within the focused part of the light. And with a little practice you can know where to aim, this is what my team did as we found that NV goggles limited what we could do and use. Nothing like having a flash bang grenade going off when your looking through NV goggles. Also visible light is more useful to blind the bad guy and to search with. The human eye is amazing and can adjust very well to low light too.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 12:36   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Thanx for the imformation. Only have lasers on my MAC 10's, M 11's and pair of shotguns. The Ingram design of what they call sights sucks. The M 11's are the real deal and a 30 round mag disappears in less than two seconds so basically if well practiced can get three short bursts of about 10 rounds each and it's time to swap mags. If pause just a moment on trigger and entire mag dumps before know what happened.

Sold my original MAC 10 in 45 and replaced with a 9mm as in 45 it took a big man and two dogs to hold it on target if didn't have a suppressor on end and a glove or asbestos wrap on the can. I train often in near dark to almost full dark with tritium sights and my imdoor range has 60 foot maximum range unless shooting diagonally from corner to corner. All my SIG's the tritium is almost too bright. Largest rifle my bullet traps will handle is 7.62x39 and 30 carbine. Have SKS's, AK's and 30 Carbines with tritium sights and train enough considering in most cases will have night vision.

Agree the human eye is amazing but most times go outside after dark it's feral dogs, coyote or similar issues. Always have long gun in hand by time hit the door, usually with tritium, N.V. or both. The 1911 sights just barely clear an Osprey can and the tall Meprolight tritiums are going to cause issues once installed if can is not on pistol being so tall. May have to modify holsters so they fit. Odds are if either of these pistols are used it will be zombie(s) in the house after dark. Wake up in middle of night trying to get BiPap mask off, eyes adjusted from sleep to wake and a visible laser or light may be best aiming option and ignore sights. Should be able to point shoot without any sighting device in house.

Have two shotguns with lights, both have dual lights, a wide angle and a narrow beam. Both narrow beams did a lot of modification of mounts and swapping of lights so the beam is pretty much dead on from 10 to 25 yards where anything illuminated with light is sucking up number 4 buck or center of beam puts slug on perp. A well chosen and mounted light is a heck of a night aiming device. Why I want a combo light and laser. Owning lots of N.V. only makes sense to get laser that is N.V. compatable. Also have thermal vision devices as well, no idea if they have any laser compatibility.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 10:56   #4
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Well, the thermal scopes that Uncle Sam let me play with wouldnít pick up lasers. I think one would have to hold the laser on the target for a long time to get it to warm up a spot so that it would be visible with a thermal scope as they see heat/radiation. Or have one hell of a powerful laser. The thermal scopes Uncle Sam bought were Thermal Eye brand and the armory would always remind us that they were expensive to the tune of 11k to replace them if we broke them. It was cool to see the railroad tracks glowing red after a train went by.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote