Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Politics

Notices

Old December 26, 2017, 12:21   #1
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
What was the longest war in the 20th century?

Just finished reading "Ember of war" 700 plus pages, it covers Vietnam history from 1918 to 1959. 30 years of war 1945 to 1975 So glad I was to young for Korea and out of the Corps in'61. The politics of the time and all the mistakes of everyone involved was terrible.

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 12:46   #2
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
The Mohammaden "insurrection" in the Phillipines has been going on for more than a century.
Old December 26, 2017, 13:33   #3
bubbagump
Stand-Up Philosopher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Yes. Second place was the so-called 'cold war'.
Old December 26, 2017, 14:21   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
War on Drugs has been going for awhile. Funny thing is I'm starting to think it is the gub supplying both sides of the conflict

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 14:55   #5
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
War on Drugs has been going for awhile. Funny thing is I'm starting to think it is the gub supplying both sides of the conflict
And you'd be correct.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 15:08   #6
juanni
TROLL

FALaholic #: 2439
Yep, the VN drove out the French invaders and then we were stupid enough to take their place.

However we bailed on VN well before the 13 years we are now in Afghanistan.
We seem to be getting stupider.

................juanni
Old December 26, 2017, 15:11   #7
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
The Mohammaden "insurrection" in the Phillipines has been going on for more than a century.
Well...not just No but HELL NO !!!

Some points regarding the insurrection fallicies

The big one is that it was Islamic, it had nothing to do with Islam.

Guess I need to rehash this history again
This all started during the Spanish American war when our War Department recruited General Aguinaldo who had fled to Taiwan to return and open up a new front in the PI on the promise America would grant the islands independence. His Army was nearly exclusivly native CATHOLIC fighters.

After the SA War we gained the islands as part of the Peace Treaty with Spain but refused to honor our agreement with the native peoples. That's what the Insurrection was about, not Islam but independence. Hearst and other members of the Yellow Press made it about Islamic fighters who really only existed in an isolated part of the Sulu in Mindanao. Nobody wanted to admit we were fighting Christian forces there.

While that War was declared over well before our entry into WWI it did continue as a Guerilla campaign right up to WWII when the Japanese invaded. The Empire promised to drive the Americans out and did but the natives rapidly discovered the Japs were far worse masters than America so we dropped in OSS advisors, war materials and the natives again fought our War in our stead.

It should be mentioned the main reason the PI was so important back then was Hemp, what was known as Manilla Rope. Couldn't have a Navy without it. They were strategic for that simple reason.

So yeah the PI war went on for decades actually but it's far from our longest War.

That would be the Seminole War which started in the 1830s and was not formerly acknowleged as over until GW or maybe it was Obama, might have even been Clinton. Someone can look it up. Most of the Seminole Nation retreated to the swamps in defiance of Jacksons Indian Removal order. DC sent the Army in after them several times, Seminole whooped White ass but good. Feds finally figured WTF, just too costly to extract those Swamp Injuns so left them sitsu with no treaty ever being made until very recently. They were just not recognized by DC and were regarded as a Renegade Nation without status.

We should have heavy respect for the Seminole, they lived free for many decades in the Glades.

Anyways, I am and have been a serious student of PI history since High School. Probably have one of the better collections of pre Insurrection era PI weapons in the country. Mainly because it was such wonderful quality and quite inexpensive until rather recently.

After Spain seized the islands as a colony in the 1500s they managed to Christianize the whole chain really but for Mindanao in the South which really had almost no development until the 50s & 60s under Marcos. Today most of the Islamics reside in North Cotobato, my wife lives in South Cotabato province. Pretty wild really, half her village north of Gen San is Islamic and even if you take the chance to visit North Cotaboto/Sulu and hit the beaches you will see throngs of sexy Islamic girls in string bikinis. These folks are very nominally of Islam.

The wife unit explain ISIS there like this:
BANDITS !
Yeah you have roving bands of bandit families who claim they are this or that but all they are actually is Bandits. Nothing ideological about them, Stealing and kidnapping are family traditions.
Cities like Gen San and Davao are pretty new in Mandanao, wasn't much there prior to WWII. Still very wild country in the interior. Remember they had Japs still fighting WWII in the rain forests up into the 1980s

It's real crazy, these days most Philippinos have forgotten their own history. While Aguinaldo is well known, basically their George Washington very little mention is made of his Insurrection. That's mostly due to Marcos sucking US dick for decades. The wife's late father was old generation, born in like 31'. Spent the War murdering Japs, mostly with Barong. Old man figured a body count of over 40 on Samar.

Just sayin' don't buy into the myths regarding the PI, do some research on what was going on and particularly the nature of the combatants. Islam was never much involved in the fracas
Shit had not WWII happened they would likely be the 51st State today.

don't think so ?

that last one has FDRs bust upon it
Have a bunch of these things in my own collections
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 16:25   #8
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I wont write a paragraph,,,but everything ive ever read about the PI is that our big issue there was not with Christians but with the Moro's.
'Moro' is a takeoff of 'Moors', which is what the spanish called them when they incountered them there in the 16th century and had all kind of problems with them....
Thats right,,,Issues with Mooslims in the PI 500 years ago...imagine that..
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 17:31   #9
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
While under going training at Fort Devens, Mass I found a book in the post library about the P.I. Insurrection that had been printed in 1910. It was a big book full of photo's taken during the fighting. One photo covered two pages and it was of a big mass grave. The grave contained the bodies of at least 1000 Moro's who had been killed in the fighting.

On the berm of the grave pit stood soldiers wearing the old US Cavalry trooper's brimmed hat and holding Krag carbines. The paragraph about the photo explained that these dead Moro's were from just two villages in the area.

The name for this kind of putting down was "pacification". You made the rebels peaceful by killing them. A standard tactic used by the colonial powers for a long time. Probably got started by the Roman Empire way back when....

And today pacification is still the name of the game. Just look at this year's success's combating ISIS.

And so it goes.....

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 17:35   #10
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
I wont write a paragraph,,,but everything ive ever read about the PI is that our big issue there was not with Christians but with the Moro's.
'Moro' is a takeoff of 'Moors', which is what the spanish called them when they incountered them there in the 16th century and had all kind of problems with them....
Thats right,,,Issues with Mooslims in the PI 500 years ago...imagine that..
That's the problem, much of what is being repeated was old propaganda from Randolph Hearst.

Think about it dude...

Prior to Colonization by Spain were there even Christians in the PI

Of course not

You had mostly Animists north of Mindanao, tribal forest faiths.

Islam had came in early to the Southern islands but it was never very wide spread...reached up to Cebu at one point in the 1600s, majority of the Colony converted rapidly though. By the early 1700s Samar, Lyte, Cebu, Luzon were all Catholic provinces. Pelawan and Mindanao were mostly ignored.

Even today you have plenty of tribes in Mindanao that are animistic in faith. The PI government regards them like we do reservation Injuns. They tend to be backward folks, many of the young gals end up leaving their allotted land whoring in Luzon or Cebu only returning home when there is a bun in the oven. Thus the makeup is rapidly changing from Malay to White half breeds.

PI peoples encompass a wide variety of races. My wife is half Malay, a quarter Spanish and the rest Chinese as best I can figure.
Keep her out of the sun she is very white but shit she can tan darker than Obama
Raving Catholic by the way, whole family is...shit entire nation really

When asstard GW Booooosh declared his war on terror the PI military stepped right up begging for bucks, America was sucked in and quite a number of Generals there diverted MILLIONS building palaces and shit. Bunch of these tards are now imprisoned, many are not.
just more in the history of made up shit regarding that Nation
Old December 26, 2017, 17:40   #11
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
Labeling a particular war as the longest is a distraction. The better question ... when is the US not in some form of war/conflict? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States . An American would be hard pressed not to be able to participate a war of his very own. To paraphrase, 'The business of America is war ... and business is good!'
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 17:53   #12
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
While under going training at Fort Devens, Mass I found a book in the post library about the P.I. Insurrection that had been printed in 1910. It was a big book full of photo's taken during the fighting. One photo covered two pages and it was of a big mass grave. The grave contained the bodies of at least 1000 Moro's who had been killed in the fighting.

On the berm of the grave pit stood soldiers wearing the old US Cavalry trooper's brimmed hat and holding Krag carbines. The paragraph about the photo explained that these dead Moro's were from just two villages in the area.

The name for this kind of putting down was "pacification". You made the rebels peaceful by killing them. A standard tactic used by the colonial powers for a long time. Probably got started by the Roman Empire way back when....

And today pacification is still the name of the game. Just look at this year's success's combating ISIS.

And so it goes.....

The Retired One
Yeah I have brought this up before here and some Filers were not in the least comfortable with it. People need to understand "Moro" was a broad and very general term that was used against natives there. Truth was most of those dead in that image were likely local Catholics.

The Army tried a couple incursions into Mindanao, they were bloodied badly so like Spain we eventually just left them be. Japan eventually had to establish a similar policy regarding that island.

Pacification in the PI was nasty
We poisoned wells, burned villages and fields, created vast concentration zones on the islands we controlled.
Slave labor, rape, etc...

Different era
that said you do that to mine I'd be inclined to leave you and yours in a bloody gut pile.

I'd expect any Man to do the same
Old December 26, 2017, 18:13   #13
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
The book is a good read if you like history, a book on Grant is next, 900 pages.

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 10:50   #14
tk421
Registered

FALaholic #: 7857
The question was "What was the longest war in the 20th century ?"

I think the Korean War has this, since didn't it technically not end yet? 50 years in the 20th century, 17 in the 21st. Or did peace finally get declared and I just didn't pay attention because it doesn't effect me?
Old December 27, 2017, 15:59   #15
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I doubt that as long as the Kim bunch of lunatics run North Korea that the war between North and South Korea will ever officially end.

Given that the Norko population has been brainwashed by the Kim dynasty for over 70 years it is to their benefit to keep the war unresolved. That fat little bastard in charge now is always claiming that the US and SK are going to start a shooting war with NK. So he uses this ploy to keep his nation under very tight control and execute anyone who sez different.

And so it goes with no end in sight.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote