Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old November 30, 2017, 10:57   #151
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
As much time as you spend in WM, I KNOW you've seen some behemoth butts in spandex. With painted nails, some nice colorful spandex tights - you could be the poster child for Run N Gun, Lurker. Might even get yer pic on a T-shirt.

Probably a sanctioned RNG shirt.
Hahahaha! Best post evar -
Old December 02, 2017, 07:56   #152
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
This weekends training.

A Kinesthetic rifle class.

Not exactly sure what it means.

But it does sound like a lot of Running n Gunning.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 07:17   #153
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Ran a pretty fast 5.4 through the hills at TM Friday. Hit some weights while I tended the smoker until Sat afternoon...then kayaked a couple miles. Sunday I kayaked a few more and did some "blue cat curls", followed by some "downward pulls" with skinning pliers. Back to Turkey Mountain after work today.
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017, 07:46   #154
zonkertx
Registered

FALaholic #: 37846
Going to miss out this winter, need to conserve vacation time that will be spent on a little project this coming year...

Just bought 19 acres up in northeast TX, and there's lots of fixing-up to do on both ends of the move:
http://ebfulton.com/images/newplace

Just what I was looking for, and allows for a 400 yard shot into a little hill, no berm-dozing required. With a bit of work, I could take it to 600.

Planning on moving my stuff there around June. If things are progressing well, I might make it up to OK for the summer run.

Do well, folks!
zonkertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017, 08:20   #155
TedKennedy
Registered

Awesome! I hate you're missing the run, but maybe we can get together more often after you get closer to God's country. You gonna be closer to Big D or Wichita Falls?
Old December 21, 2017, 14:28   #156
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkertx View Post
Going to miss out this winter, need to conserve vacation time that will be spent on a little project this coming year...

Just bought 19 acres up in northeast TX, and there's lots of fixing-up to do on both ends of the move:
http://ebfulton.com/images/newplace

Just what I was looking for, and allows for a 400 yard shot into a little hill, no berm-dozing required. With a bit of work, I could take it to 600.

Planning on moving my stuff there around June. If things are progressing well, I might make it up to OK for the summer run.

Do well, folks!
Wow! What a dreamy piece of land. Love the horses.
beseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017, 19:03   #157
zonkertx
Registered

FALaholic #: 37846
Horses aren't mine, but were grazing there under the old owner. I'm letting them stay there through the end of the year, since the horse owners weren't given notice that the place was selling.

I'm up in the northeast corner, about 45 miles down US 59 from Texarkana. 7 miles north of Jefferson. Neat little town of 2100.

After I move, it will be a shorter drive to Pawnee than to Pecos!
zonkertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 08:51   #158
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

T-24 days fellas. Get to it!
Old December 27, 2017, 09:31   #159
TedKennedy
Registered

Ran Friday in the cold rain.
Ran Christmas day with weight.
Reloaded much .40 and much 30-06 over the long weekend.
Need to shoot more, as always.

Headed to Pawnee New Year's Eve to scope out trails, count targets, etc...
Old January 13, 2018, 16:34   #160
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Took the Kel-Tec RFB out to Range 4 at Quantico today to get one last long distance shoot before next weekend in Okie. Did some work at 100, 300, and 600 yards. Weather pretty much sucked and the wind was irritating as all hell! RFB still did well even with the wind. Here is the 600yd finish. I think it’s 18-19 outta 20 on steel.

Old January 15, 2018, 07:11   #161
TedKennedy
Registered

Good shooting!

In true Oklahoma fashion, the weather was beautiful yesterday - 55 or so. Now the temp is supposed to drop to 9 or 10 overnight...but wait - there's more!

Friday/Saturday temps from 58-63.
It's Oklahoma...we might get snow or 100F, or tornados and earthquakes....be prepared.
Old January 15, 2018, 17:21   #162
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Did some short work today at 10. 25, 50 yards with Pistol and Rifle:

Old January 17, 2018, 11:21   #163
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Good luck to all the people running this weekend! Run fast and shoot straight.
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 14:09   #164
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigre View Post
Good luck to all the people running this weekend! Run fast and shoot straight.
And if you can't do that, run straight and shoot fast! Go and kill his thing, guys - we're all rooting for you and wishing we were there -
Old January 18, 2018, 07:38   #165
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Guns, ammo, mags, PACKED! Pack the rest tonight, leave the house tomorrow at 9am and I'm off to OK....
Old January 18, 2018, 10:13   #166
TxGunDawg
Registered

On the road to Pawnee.
Old January 18, 2018, 13:06   #167
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Guns, ammo, mags, PACKED! Pack the rest tonight, leave the house tomorrow at 9am and I'm off to OK....
At least infect everyone you come into contact with and pass on your sickness along the way. Glad I'm not stuck in a plane wih you and your virus!

I am so jealous -
Old January 18, 2018, 13:06   #168
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post
On the road to Pawnee.
How are the roads between Texas and OK? Better than TN and NC I hope!

Last edited by kotengu; January 18, 2018 at 14:31.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018, 13:12   #169
TxGunDawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
How are the roads between Texas and OK? Beter than TN and NC I hope!
Yep.

Clear sailing.
Old January 20, 2018, 07:09   #170
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Course was awesome yesterday. Good luck today B17 and TexGunDawg.

Old January 20, 2018, 07:22   #171
kotengu
Registered

How did you get 595 kV on Stage 3???
Old January 20, 2018, 07:24   #172
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
How did you get 595 kV on Stage 3???
Look closer, it says 59 SEC (59 Seconds) and he wrote the wait time in the wrong spot!

Last edited by Nuttz; January 20, 2018 at 07:30.
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018, 09:44   #173
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Old January 20, 2018, 19:09   #174
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
F__ing sandals...SMH.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018, 19:29   #175
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Winner of the Garand Challenge! B17!!!!

Old January 20, 2018, 22:25   #176
kotengu
Registered

Two questions:

1. What did Kelly have painted on her fingernails?
2. (from my wife, after looking at many years of Run N Gun pics). Jimmy always looks exactly the same; does he only have one Run N Gun outfit?

Evidently she hasn't paid very close attention to what I wear several times a year, or pretty much to every match of any kind ever.

Well done, all of you!
Old January 21, 2018, 00:24   #177
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Eowyn

Old January 21, 2018, 03:56   #178
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
R N G
Quote:
2. (from my wife, after looking at many years of Run N Gun pics). Jimmy always looks exactly the same; does he only have one Run N Gun outfit?
Uhhhhhh?

Old January 21, 2018, 09:00   #179
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Two questions:

Evidently she hasn't paid very close attention to what I wear several times a year, or pretty much to every match of any kind ever.

Well done, all of you!
RNG for run and gun I wanted to do something Garand related but couldn't think of anything with three letters.

lol @ your wife
Old January 21, 2018, 09:41   #180
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Another RNG in the books It was fun to return to Pawnee again, and I much preferred the weather this time around vs. July!!

Here's my AAR. I've been in good shape for most of 2017 - I was just coming off of Tiger's RNG at KY in Nov, and had upped my mileage knowing the 20k was coming in Jan. Honestly the month before this match was a disaster in so many ways (work, home, etc). I did not get a lot of sleep and it was hard to get the workouts in. I ended up getting sick a week before this match but decided to go anyway. I just tried to rest all week, but with my husband and son even sicker than I was, my sleep patterns were very interrupted. This definitely was not helping me beat the sickness any faster. Oh well. What are you going to do.

It was great to see Jimmy, Mike and Al again. Al puts on a heck of a show there, it really is worth the trip. I like seeing people I've met at other RNGs as well as meeting new people. I love the enthusiasm of the people doing it for the first time, it reminds me of I how I felt/stil feel!

I can't wait to see the full scores, I'm not sure how many people were in each division but the entries seemed well spread across 5k, 10k and 20k.

I used my Garand & XDM the first go round. I wanted to do the Garand while I was still fresh, that way going to the lighter AR with optics would make up for me being slow and tired at that point! I was happy with my gear, there's really no way around it, humping a rifle that heavy and long is gonna suck. It's about 75% long as I am tall

Here you go Matt, RNG for run and gun

Trotting down the road of death. LOL. My sling does well, but I also tie a closeline around my hips to eliminate as much lateral movement as possible. The garand throws off my gait quite a bit, I have to run with my arms more out to my sides for balance.

I was really happy with how my Garand performed. I've done a LOT with that rifle...3 gunned extensively with it, high power matches, now run and guns...we have a lot of history together. She's like an old friend who's always down for anything.

I cleared the long range stage with 2 rounds left, garand had no issue at 300 or 500 yds. I took the time to dial as holding with irons at that distance is a bit tricky...I was happy about that decision.

My pistol shooting went well the first go round. I finished 5th on the dueling tree stage and had no problems elsewhere.

Unfortunately I DNF the hill stage just like Jimmy. Which was hilarious bc we had a long conversation about what not to do on that stage before the match!! The VTAC position was fine but when I got to the first barrel I decided to try offhand instead of shooting around it. The wind was probably 20mph and it was weathervaning the rifle like crazy, everytime I had a bead on it there'd be a gust, and being the second to last stage I was getting tired fast. I finally cleared it, but when I pulled out my next clip, one of the rounds was halfway out (shifted during the run I guess) so took a moment to reseat it before I could reload. Got the next shooting position in one shot, hauled tail to the last position, finger on trigger - TIME!!!! Ughhh I was so mad. I missed it literally by a second.

I was really beating myself up because up until that point things were almost perfect. But, like any other match, you have to leave your feelings at that stage and move on so you don't tank the rest of you day.

Got to the pipe stage, whew that felt great on the knees after a long day already Cleared the plate rack and then busted some hippies no problem. Watching the bowling pin jump with the mighty thwack of the 30-06 was cool

Then it was just a short sprint to the finish. I was pretty thirsty at this point (did not take water, no where to put it really and was already loaded out at 28lbs).

You have 12 mins to prepare for the next loop, and man that time goes by FAST. I went as fast as I could - bathroom break, reload pistol mags, change gear, drink - and ended up taking 15 minutes. If I do a 20k again I will have to work on this.

I was happy to strap on my AR, almost half the weight of the garand, and probably a foot shorter which is the big thing. I barely even felt it. I used a soft flask water bottle and took about 16 oz with me, basically just to wet my mouth between stages.

That first .5 mile out SUCKED. It took a little while for me to get back into the groove but I decided to just run it a mile at a time. I felt better the further I went.

So....this is where things started going to pot. I severely underestimated how bad my pistol shooting would deteriorate. I felt like my form was good and I didn't FEEL that tired but obviously I was wrong. The first go round I did the dueling tree in 28 seconds...this one?? Barely squeaked by in like one minute 56 seconds I must have spent 75% of my pistol ammo here. The more I missed the more frustrated I got. If this were three gun and it was time penalties and not a DNF, I def would have quit the stage!

Then off to the long range. 300 yard shots were fine but I could not hit the 500. I had shot this AR at 500 before, no problem...I think I just severely underestimated the difference in temp/pressure. I knew being warmer it would be shooting higher, but I just wasn't able to sort it out within the 8 allotted rounds (2 of which I spent on the 300's). The spotter said afterward that it was high. It's tough with the 5.56 because I could not see where it was going, no dirt splatters or anything

Back to the lonnnnng road back. Was really starting to feel it here. A 20k with weight is really no joke. I ran 90% of it, I walked with Mike for a bit to compare notes on our day, and then walked another uphill on the road to recover. My "running" at this point was more like a saunter, but I was running technically

The last two stages went fine. I was markedly slower...on rifle just because I was tired, and pistol - I was trying to go in slow motion and really think about my position because at this point I was severely close to running out of ammo.

I was very glad to be done and see the RO waiting at the end. The things I learned from this match...if I do another long one like this - take at least 25% more pistol ammo on second go round as I did this time. Bring gels to eat between the loops...I had a protein cookie and a sandwich ready - but I could not choke down either right after the first 10k. So I know this contributed so some of the weakness I felt. I was running 20-25 MPW to train (plus gym) but to be competitive in 20k I would def have to up my mileage/speed during training. Also, go live in a hotel for the two weeks leading up to the race so I can sleep and not get sick

I was honestly surprised that I won the Garand challenge...and very honored to be doing it in memory of Andrew. I may or may not have skipped up to the table to get the award I think there were 20 or so shooters that did it?? Some serious competition there. You guys know how I love my Garand though, so this was extremely special to me.

All in all this has been another kick ass weekend. I seriously live for RNGs. Best thing about them?? I gained ZERO pounds during thanksgiving and christmas there's no chance to get fluffy if you put an RNG on the calendar every couple months or so
Old January 21, 2018, 11:28   #181
kotengu
Registered

Awesome AAR. The wind out there is no joke and has to be experienced to be understood. Definitely look into liquid forms of nutrition if you're going to do much more long distance running - your body can't process solid food quickly enough to do you any good on a run, and it just sits in a lump in your belly (or comes back up) instead of helping you.

To me, Oklahoma will always be THE Run N Gun in the entire nation. Those guys do it right.
Old January 21, 2018, 12:07   #182
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Congratulations, B17 - what an ass-kicking performance!

Yes to gels. And yes to "20K with weight is no joke." I always feel a little guilty watching smaller people put on the same weight that i'm putting on to go run the second leg. Because AR-15 and mags and water weigh about half to me what they do to you.

Anyway, way to crush it, and thanks for the AAR.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018, 21:51   #183
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Wait...did that road get paved?

Awesome job Kelly! Grats on ANOTHER 1st place with a real rifle!

Old January 22, 2018, 08:16   #184
TedKennedy
Registered

I can't thank everyone enough for coming out and making this a great event again!
Kelly - I saw you a couple times as I was driving my dad around and you looked light footed every time. You are the female FOG. Congratulations on the Garand win!
We raised about 2300 bucks for the Suicide Prevention Lifeline, proving fo sho that RNG folks are the best in the country. My family was there and really overwhelmed at the support y'all give. I told them about it in July, but I don't think they really understood how much RNG people take care of each other.

SMS said it best on the OFAO forum: "RNG is a fun, family event first, and a competition second."
The competition is tough and serious, so that means the first part must really be solid. That's really been shown since July 22nd, and my whole family thanks you all.
Old January 22, 2018, 13:42   #185
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

God bless you and yours, Al.

You're correct on all points, but it must be said that it's a two-way street, and you are a huge part of making all this come together - both in OK and around the country.

I, as well as a bunch of the best people I know on the planet, credit you with a ton of leadership and example-setting in this thing. i also truly value your posts here (Politics, etc.). Keep the faith, man.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old January 22, 2018, 14:56   #186
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Definitely look into liquid forms of nutrition if you're going to do much more long distance running - your body can't process solid food quickly enough to do you any good on a run, and it just sits in a lump in your belly (or comes back up) instead of helping you.
Yup. I always wondered why people used energy gels...lol, now I know! I just like to learn the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Congratulations, B17 - what an ass-kicking performance!

Yes to gels. And yes to "20K with weight is no joke." I always feel a little guilty watching smaller people put on the same weight that i'm putting on to go run the second leg. Because AR-15 and mags and water weigh about half to me what they do to you.

Anyway, way to crush it, and thanks for the AAR.
Thanks for your kind words!! It is true the smaller folk will always be at a disadvantage weight wise. Nothing you can do about it though except train harder and shoot faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Wait...did that road get paved?

Awesome job Kelly! Grats on ANOTHER 1st place with a real rifle!
Thank you Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
Kelly - I saw you a couple times as I was driving my dad around and you looked light footed every time. You are the female FOG. Congratulations on the Garand win!
To even be mentioned in the same sentence as FOG means a lot to me. Thank you so much!! I am glad it LOOKED light footed. I felt like I weighed 300lbs
Old January 24, 2018, 09:18   #187
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

For browsers that don't support embedded video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bqeDuIkEw
Old January 24, 2018, 14:01   #188
TxGunDawg
Registered

Good AAR Nuttz.

Today is the first day I’m walking like anything that resembles normal.

My feet took a beating this year, but that stands to reason. I had taken my weekly road marches out of my routine. They will added back.

I’m positive that I’ll lose at least two toe nails on my left foot.

I did better than last year, I think.

I ran more on my first round. But it was about a third of a mile shorter this year.

I struggled with both the Garand and FAL.

The dueling tree got me on the second trip.

The long range and the Hill were problems both times.

It seems I’ve peaked physically. So I’m going to concentrate on shooting this year if I can find a new range.

On a side note, every dog will have his day.

There is a new holder of the “ Cockfighter of the Free World” award.

Brunop will have to relinquish his patch.
Old January 24, 2018, 14:01   #189
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

LOL...Trumble shoot box.

Old January 24, 2018, 14:04   #190
TxGunDawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
LOL...Trumble shoot box.
Yes, he was a bad boy.
Old January 24, 2018, 14:06   #191
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Good AAR Nuttz.:
TY, had almost as much fun editing the video. Thank you for the "Fellowship" patch and the "Group Therapy" one too!
Quote:
There is a new holder of the “ Cockfighter of the Free World” award...Brunop will have to relinquish his patch.
You deserve every velcro'd inch of that patch and then some! Garand, then the FAL!!!

JEFF, GET THAT PATCH OVERNIGHTED TO TEX ASAP!!!
Old January 24, 2018, 15:15   #192
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Poop.

I'll go find it somewhere.

Want me to deliver it in March?
Old January 24, 2018, 16:49   #193
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
TY, had almost as much fun editing the video. Thank you for the "Fellowship" patch and the "Group Therapy" one too!

You deserve every velcro'd inch of that patch and then some! Garand, then the FAL!!!

JEFF, GET THAT PATCH OVERNIGHTED TO TEX ASAP!!!
Nice work Tex!!!