The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2017, 12:43   #501
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
So a Halbek and an R selector with a ground off beak go hand in hand...
You know it.

Anyone have a any photographic or anecdotal evidence of plastic bipod-cut handguards being used in Rhodesia pre-1980?

I have a spare set I would like to throw on my 17.3" clone build. That would save me having to get an NBC set, and a bit of variety, since all my other FALs have NBC handguards.
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 05:03   #502
pl521
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74645
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,011
From the net. It looks like second from rear, right side, has bipod cut handguards.


Last edited by pl521; November 25, 2017 at 07:09.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 18:59   #503
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
Nice. Thanks!
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 19:39   #504
firedog
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 14289
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,201
I think we decided long ago here on the files that that is a G1 that somehow wound up in Rhodesia. Some one had a really good hi res copy of this.
firedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017, 23:21   #505
VAplinker
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 78941
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: I am in the USA
Posts: 102
An interesting find!

I have been on quite a Rhodesian reading frenzy lately, mainly due to holiday and free time to read. Aside from finally finishing Croukamp's "The Bush War", I have also been digging through many of the old FAL threads. I have really enjoyed looking at some of the earlier threads regarding the Rhodesian kit builds, and the great deals had in the TAPCO era.

I have read about and seen many of Gunplumber's FAL builds through this forum. Well, I happened upon some photos that showed he puts his maker's mark (and least sometimes from the sampling I found) upon the area just past the magazine well, on that rounded underside area of the receiver.

I figured, well may as well have a peek at my Rhodie! And sure enough, there was the ARS marking! So Mr. Gunplumber did do this build. Admittedly I had a sneaking suspicion. This rifle is remarkable well put together. Not to say that home builds are not quality, but I suspected it was professionally done.

It is rather hard to see, and certainly hard to photograph. It is well covered in poop, and happily so.



The 'ARS' is easy to make out in the yellow, but as the darker green poop comes into frame I had a hard time photographing that.

It reads as such:
ARS (hard to make out this part), AZ
08 . 13

I would have guessed 'PHX, AZ' from the example picture I found, but it really doesn't look like PHX to me. Maybe it got stamped weird.

It is quite a find for me, as it gives more provenance to the rifle which I hadn't before. The person I bought from told me it was a gunshow purchase. He gave me as many details as he could, and was actually very helpful and versed, however I think the assumption was it was a well done kit and hobby build.

Interesting to see that this one is dated 2013. I bought this just in 2016, so not long ago.

It has the electro-penciling done - the bolt serial does not match the lower - it is a mix of Rhodesian parts, which I gather is not unusual. The electro-penciling on the lower is a bit difficult to see, again due to the poop smearing. The receiver used is a Lake Barrington DSA R1, which has been smeared with poopie to match the rest of the rifle.







Yes, looking at the post now, the electro-pencil serial on that lower is hard to see in the lighting I used.

Anyhow, I am sure I repeated some stuff from my prior posts, but it was quite a find for me just now to see that ARS marking. It is interesting to just glean that extra bit of information from the rifle, which I already find fascinating. As they say, if it could talk!

Last edited by VAplinker; November 25, 2017 at 23:43.
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 11:31   #506
pl521
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74645
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,011
Very nice Rhody build!
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 12:30   #507
pl521
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74645
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,011
G3isme inspired me to build a couple of Rhodesian FAL clones

Group picture. From left to right.
1. Type 2, RA marked SA lower on DSA type 2 upper. Both lower and barrel sanitized, drilled out. SA long stock and SA NBC handguards
2. Type 3, ZA marked lower on IMBEL GL upper, IMBEl stock and NB handguards
3. Type 3. ZA marked lower on iMBEL GL upper. Also has brown ppoh paint
4. Type 3 ZA marked lower on Coonan upper, SA long stock, SA NBC handguards
5. Type 2, RA marked SA lower on DSA type 2 upper. SA stock and SA NBC handguards.



Sanitized RA marked SA lower and barrel.













Type 3, ZA marked lower



Type 3, ZA marked lower with SA long stock and NB handguards. Painted with pooh paint







Type 3, ZA marked lower wih SA long stock and SA NBC handguards


Type 2, RA marked SA lower on type 2 DSA upper. SA long stock and SA NBC handguards






Last edited by pl521; November 26, 2017 at 18:39.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 16:21   #508
VAplinker
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 78941
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: I am in the USA
Posts: 102
Wow! That is Rhodie heaven! I need some more myself - eyes are always peeled!
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 17:43   #509
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
G3isMe's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 6530
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Clinging to my Guns and Religion
Posts: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
I think we decided long ago here on the files that that is a G1 that somehow wound up in Rhodesia. Some one had a really good hi res copy of this.
The second from rear left side looks like a G1 but I think the second from rear right side is an Imbel or SA with a plastic set of bipod cut handguards.

.
__________________
.
ďWhen you don't know how many you have... you might have enough........" 12v71
G3isMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 18:36   #510
firedog
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 14289
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
The second from rear left side looks like a G1 but I think the second from rear right side is an Imbel or SA with a plastic set of bipod cut handguards.

.


My bad...carry on!
firedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 19:27   #511
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
Pl: Nice lookin' gaggle. Get out the grinder and cut a couple of them carry handles off at the ring.

My second RA kit had a G1 aluminum cocking handle. That was a really cool touch. Still wish I hadn't sold it, but life goes one.
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 12:44   #512
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 64986
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl521 View Post
.... Both lower and barrel sanitized, drilled out. ....
In this context, what do "sanitized" and "drilled out" mean?
__________________
-----------
Go Vols!
TNAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 19:27   #513
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 75606
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lake Tahoe
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAndy View Post
In this context, what do "sanitized" and "drilled out" mean?
Correct me if Iím wrong:


South Africa helped Rhodesia out by supplying rifles. They were under an embargo, so they ďsanitizedĒ their outgoing rifles by removing the proof marks. My rhodie is completely sanitized on a type one coonan. I can send you pictures if youíd like.
__________________
EOD..."initial success, or total failure"
AFeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 21:15   #514
jsparky1983
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 72974
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kennewick, Wa
Posts: 87
Iíd like to see the pictures of your sanitized Rhodie lower. Is it type 1 or two? I have a sanitized type 1 that I think was Belgian made for SA?? But idk.
jsparky1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 21:58   #515
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 75606
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lake Tahoe
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky1983 View Post
Iíd like to see the pictures of your sanitized Rhodie lower. Is it type 1 or two? I have a sanitized type 1 that I think was Belgian made for SA?? But idk.
Iíll get down in the shop later this week. Iíll snap a shot of the lower and the bbl for yíall. Does photo phuckit still work? If not I can text or email them to someone that could post them
__________________
EOD..."initial success, or total failure"
AFeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2017, 23:54   #516
jsparky1983
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 72974
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kennewick, Wa
Posts: 87
I can pm you my email and host your pictures on Imgur or if you want you can create an Imgur. Itís easy and not like photobucket
jsparky1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 00:56   #517
pl521
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74645
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAndy View Post
In this context, what do "sanitized" and "drilled out" mean?
Picture of type 1 lower with internal cuts, unsanitized UM and ZA marked



Picture of type 2 lower with internal cuts, sanitized or drilled out UM, RA marked



Another sanitized type 2 lower RA marked that is only 20 serial numbers from above

Last edited by pl521; December 06, 2017 at 02:06.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 19:17   #518
Grinch727
Registered
Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 80280
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 11
pl512 - that is some fleet of Rhodesians! Real nice!
Grinch727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 20:37   #519
pl521
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74645
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch727 View Post
pl512 - that is some fleet of Rhodesians! Real nice!
Thanks! But it's getting more difficult and expensive to find Rhodie parts. Might be close to the tail end of building them.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2017, 22:09   #520
jsparky1983
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 72974
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kennewick, Wa
Posts: 87
AFeod Rhody pictures

Here are a couple pictures of AFeod’s Rhody. https://imgur.com/a/ESi29

Here are some pictures of my type 1 scrubbed Rhody.

https://imgur.com/a/8htE5

Last edited by jsparky1983; December 09, 2017 at 23:09. Reason: Clarity
jsparky1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2017, 10:28   #521
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 75606
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lake Tahoe
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky1983 View Post
Here are a couple pictures of AFeodís Rhody. https://imgur.com/a/ESi29

Here are some pictures of my type 1 scrubbed Rhody.

https://imgur.com/a/8htE5
Thanks for posting those!
__________________
EOD..."initial success, or total failure"
AFeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2017, 11:13   #522
jsparky1983
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 72974
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kennewick, Wa
Posts: 87
Happy to help. Anytime.
jsparky1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017, 04:09   #523
pl521
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74645
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky1983 View Post
Here are a couple pictures of AFeodís Rhody. https://imgur.com/a/ESi29

Here are some pictures of my type 1 scrubbed Rhody.

https://imgur.com/a/8htE5

Interesting Rhodesian Type I lower, i have never seen the proof mark or cartouche on the block where the hammer spring housing butts into. Do you have anymore info?
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017, 11:14   #524
jsparky1983
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 72974
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kennewick, Wa
Posts: 87
I was hoping that someone here could help me with what that proof was. I reached out to a member here and they hadnít seen that proof before. So Iím hoping someone here has info on the proof. It reminds me of the acceptance stamps on the German or Portuguese G3 magazines. Iíll see if I have better closeups of it.
jsparky1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2017, 11:31   #525
hagar
Registered
 
hagar's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 228
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 9,655
See if this works. Shows actual combat footage and may encourage some viewers.

https://www.facebook.com/RhodesianPh...1758060220706/
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017, 11:51   #526
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
Some more videos for one's viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHT...query=rhodesia
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 06:38   #527
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 50609
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 12,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky1983 View Post
I was hoping that someone here could help me with what that proof was. I reached out to a member here and they hadnít seen that proof before. So Iím hoping someone here has info on the proof. It reminds me of the acceptance stamps on the German or Portuguese G3 magazines. Iíll see if I have better closeups of it.
Itís a sanitized South African lower.
__________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures Chuck Norris allows to live.
def90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 16:12   #528
jsparky1983
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 72974
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kennewick, Wa
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Itís a sanitized South African lower.
Thatís what I figured. Have you ever seen that proof/stamp before though? Iíd love to know what it is.
jsparky1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017, 22:28   #529
enbloc8
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 51665
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
I think we decided long ago here on the files that that is a G1 that somehow wound up in Rhodesia. Some one had a really good hi res copy of this.
Best evidence I've seen is that the G1s in Rhodesian service came by way of the Portuguese, while they were pulling out of their African colonies in 1974-75.
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017, 11:43   #530
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by enbloc8 View Post
Best evidence I've seen is that the G1s in Rhodesian service came by way of the Portuguese, while they were pulling out of their African colonies in 1974-75.
Yep. A batch of G1's were given to Portugal by way of Germany in '63, if I remember right. Most ended up in the hands of the Flechas and Comandos. John P. Cann's book on the Flechas shows plenty of G1's and m962 FAL's. The Portuguese then dumped those and a shitload of G3's on the Rhodesians in late '75.
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 15:16   #531
VAplinker
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 78941
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: I am in the USA
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynb View Post
Hey. I'm new here. Maybe this should go in the "do it yourself" section, but I just finished distressing my IMBEL. Ended up using a little bit of wood stain pre-oiling the rifle. I think it gave it a nice touch.



There's some great info around here. Thanks.
I think that looks pretty cool, man! Rhodie style is the way to go with an FAL.
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 18:41   #532
ynb
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80469
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAplinker View Post
I think that looks pretty cool, man! Rhodie style is the way to go with an FAL.
Thanks!!!
ynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 20:25   #533
The Pigpen
Registered
 
The Pigpen's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 51732
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pee Dee area of SC
Posts: 294
My Imbel kit I just put together has a stock number painted on the butt pad and what looks like greenish tan paint on the butt screw. no other paint elsewhere. Could it be Rhodesian?
__________________
I'm Like a pirate, always look'n fer booty.
The Pigpen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 20:56   #534
ynb
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80469
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigpen View Post
My Imbel kit I just put together has a stock number painted on the butt pad and what looks like greenish tan paint on the butt screw. no other paint elsewhere. Could it be Rhodesian?
I grew up in Chile and can tell you that it is of public knowledge that general Pinochet tried to assist the Rhodesian government back in the day by moving Brazilian FALs to them, via Chile. So it's possible.

Last edited by ynb; December 26, 2017 at 03:01.
ynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 21:20   #535
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 75606
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lake Tahoe
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigpen View Post
My Imbel kit I just put together has a stock number painted on the butt pad and what looks like greenish tan paint on the butt screw. no other paint elsewhere. Could it be Rhodesian?
Rhodie parts... good chance.
I’ve read that the Rhodesians didn’t use rack numbers. Mine has them, blue numbers lots of paint. Maybe Zim?

FALs... poo paint becomes them

PS: tan for sure Mugabe era.
__________________
EOD..."initial success, or total failure"
AFeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 22:46   #536
The Pigpen
Registered
 
The Pigpen's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 51732
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pee Dee area of SC
Posts: 294
It is a well worn kit with a 3 digit number in white paint on the butt pad and no signs of paint anywhere else, other than the screw.

So far its a 2MOA gun with handloads and that south korean.

Could have been just a parts kit missing a butt pad and screw and the importer just grabbed something out of a spare parts bin.
__________________
I'm Like a pirate, always look'n fer booty.
The Pigpen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 23:46   #537
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 75606
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Lake Tahoe
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigpen View Post
It is a well worn kit with a 3 digit number in white paint on the butt pad and no signs of paint anywhere else, other than the screw.

So far its a 2MOA gun with handloads and that south korean.

Could have been just a parts kit missing a butt pad and screw and the importer just grabbed something out of a spare parts bin.
Any other RA marked parts? There were imbel rifles over there, also they made functional rifles out of any parts they could get their hands on.

Also there are parts out there that are marked both RA and ZA. Once in the hand of the Rhodesian forces then to Zimbabwe
__________________
EOD..."initial success, or total failure"
AFeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 06:14   #538
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 64403
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,970
I am thinking on building a tribute band Rhodie using the DSA paratrooper lower and buttstock.
__________________
All I'm really asking for here is a knife that will not jam and a unicorn that doesn't need sharpening. Will_Power
It's been my experience that all you really need to harvest a deer is a car. They come right through the windshield just fine. 357ross
That poop is priceless. MFC
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 12:18   #539
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
I am thinking on building a tribute band Rhodie using the DSA paratrooper lower and buttstock.
Take a gander at my painted DSA Para on the previous page for some inspiration. It's closely modeled after the Rhodesian-captured Armťe National Congolais Para posted here a while ago by Wild Hond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFeod View Post
Iíve read that the Rhodesians didnít use rack numbers. Mine has them, blue numbers lots of paint. Maybe Zim?
Per multiple members on New Rhodesian Forum and the lack of photographic evidence, rack numbers were not applied pre-1980.
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 13:04   #540
eternal24k
Registered
 
eternal24k's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 26370
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
I am thinking on building a tribute band Rhodie using the DSA paratrooper lower and buttstock.
Do it....
eternal24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 23:25   #541
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
Anyone have any tips on engraving RA numbers into non-Rhodesian parts? I'm not looking to scam, as these rifles are staying with me for a long while, but I want to "force match" the numbers to add a bit more historical correctness. Would a regular engraver work just fine? Will I need to refinish the parts?
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 09:46   #542
eternal24k
Registered
 
eternal24k's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 26370
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Anyone have any tips on engraving RA numbers into non-Rhodesian parts? I'm not looking to scam, as these rifles are staying with me for a long while, but I want to "force match" the numbers to add a bit more historical correctness. Would a regular engraver work just fine? Will I need to refinish the parts?
As much as I hate the idea of someone taking this idea and moving on the market along with the repro painted stocks, for your use, an electro-pencil would be the only real looking thing.
Not sure how well this would work:
eternal24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 09:55   #543
VAplinker
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 78941
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: I am in the USA
Posts: 102
How is force matching adding to historical correctness? Appreciate the former Rhodie parts for what they are. No need to alter the other bits. I have US made parts on my build, and the Rhodie parts are an amalgamation - nothing wrong with that. It has its own story to tell.
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 21:14   #544
sbl11
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74616
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 353
Anyone can have a Rhodie kit,with the help of an electro penciil

Whelp,

There goes the collecting circle... these things have taken off and demand a premium. Too bad that while Lew may not be intentionally screwing over the Rhodesian collector market, the simple fact that this is obviously very easy to achieve and I am fairly sure someone has already traveled down this road, the permanent ďadjustmentĒ to replicate an original is quite simple. And with the common knowledge as seen on many pages of this forum, to include earlier on this very page, that anything goes in terms of parts origins, it isnít like someone would really be able to discredit a fake. Heck the crappier the job, the more authentic the electro penciled marking would look. Iím not going to tell anyone what to do with their own guns, but understand that just this conversation alone is the step in the wrong direction as a collector. Who is to say what is real anymore?

Sbl
sbl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 11:42   #545
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAplinker View Post
How is force matching adding to historical correctness? Appreciate the former Rhodie parts for what they are. No need to alter the other bits. I have US made parts on my build, and the Rhodie parts are an amalgamation - nothing wrong with that. It has its own story to tell.
The only parts that I would like to "match" are two DSA aluminum lowers. The bolt carriers already have RA numbers, as do the rest of the other lowers. In the extreme case that I ever need to sell the uppers, I'm going to leave those alone. Pretty easy to tell a DSA lower apart, even if it's been painted in baby shit and mustard, even without taking the rifle apart. I conduct myself honestly and forthrightly, but I care little about what the thieves and scammers may choose to do (which they're going to do anyway if the profits are right).
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018, 18:27   #546
VAplinker
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 78941
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: I am in the USA
Posts: 102
Lew, I see where you are coming from, and looking back on my post I recognize I oughtn't say how someone should go about their own property. I think my knee jerk reaction is along what sbl11 pointed out - awfully easy to fake these bits, and how in the heck would one tell? Anything 'Rhodesian' seems to be quite expensive (even and especially the books!) and the guns have entered the niche collector realm - the ultimate blue chip marker of the gun world.

As you say, scammers will do as they do. I hate to think any falsely marked parts for this niche following will enter the waters, regardless the intent - but not my call, nor should I say who does what with theirs. It does stink though when that happens - I know in my own experience that one must tread carefully in the world of old Colt sixguns and old mausers - rife with fakes and false markings. And it is no easy feat to uncover these damn fakes.
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018, 12:06   #547
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
I understand ya full well. I keep in mind all the fake stamps out there for WW2-era rifles and what a nightmare that creates. I figure a DSA lower- Para or otherwise- is really easy for anyone with the slightest FAL knowledge to discern from the genuine deal. Of course, I have to buy an engraver, and that's not high on the priority list.
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 09:18   #548
Feelous Scout
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80504
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I understand ya full well. I keep in mind all the fake stamps out there for WW2-era rifles and what a nightmare that creates. I figure a DSA lower- Para or otherwise- is really easy for anyone with the slightest FAL knowledge to discern from the genuine deal. Of course, I have to buy an engraver, and that's not high on the priority list.
I was thinking of electropenciling some of the parts on for my build. I did get lucky and get a Rhodesian stamped bolt carrier and some SA R1 furniture.
Feelous Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 11:32   #549
pl521
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74645
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,011
Finally completed my Rhodesian para; non of the parts were painted so I left it as is. I also took my Rhodesian CZ-75 out for a group picture.



pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 11:47   #550
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,033
Outstanding collection.

Use a Dremel to reprofile those Type 3 receivers.

__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files