The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old December 20, 2017, 21:35   #1
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
Is there a......

Im looking for a 1911A1 clone, basic GI parkerized, non enlarged ejection port, basic rollmarks, non logo.
And NOT series 80!
I looked at the Auto Ordinance, and the Inland, but those are both series 80.
Im not looking at a colt reissue, as thats a collector piece that costs as much as an original.
Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017, 21:42   #2
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Remington or Rock Island?

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017, 22:36   #3
Ghost
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
Remington or Rock Island?
Remington has the huge hideous branding,also hear bad things quality wise. Rock island has the lowered/beveled ejection port, and the new angle to the RI bevel looks really out of place.
It just seems so counterintuitive to make a 1911A1 GI issue replica as a series 80.
Old December 20, 2017, 23:02   #4
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
The base Remington is actually good. I was suprised with how well I shot it compared to my edc 1911. The Roll mark is hideous. I was unaware there were quality issues. The way I feel about 1911s and what you are looking for? Colt has been making them forever. You can find a decent used pre 80 series basic government model or remove the plunger from the slide on an 80 series gun and remove the "finger" from the frame. I guess people know I shoot 1911s and own a few so they get offered to me a bit. I seem to find good used Colts in the 6 to 7 hundred dollar range for a basic Government 1911 used not abused. A good shooter. Look around for awhile. That is my opinion.

Last edited by Raggedwhole!; December 20, 2017 at 23:41.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017, 23:41   #5
mutter
Registered

FALaholic #: 22871
I had a Rock Island and it was flawless in operation.

However, you might want to wait and see what the CMP is going to charge for their GI 1911's when they start to sell them. I guarantee you'll need to have a trigger job done but you'll have a true GI 1911.

I agree on the series 80. I hated the design and construction with that stupid plunger.

I've also had good luck with a GSG 1911 I picked up a few years ago on a whim.
mutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017, 23:50   #6
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutter View Post
I had a Rock Island and it was flawless in operation.

However, you might want to wait and see what the CMP is going to charge for their GI 1911's when they start to sell them. I guarantee you'll need to have a trigger job done but you'll have a true GI 1911.

I agree on the series 80. I hated the design and construction with that stupid plunger.

I've also had good luck with a GSG 1911 I picked up a few years ago on a whim.
Rock Island makes a good 1911 for the money. The CMP guns are going to start at $1,100 for a well worn and used mix master. The way the prices are on the old GI war horses are crazy though. They will sell them all in no time. It's worth grabbing one or two and sticking them in the safe.
Old December 20, 2017, 23:53   #7
Ghost
Registered

I dont have any faith in the CMP system in place for the 1911s.
People around here think there old 1911s are gold, i could be into a new prodution Colt series 70 govt for what they want. And i have considered a new series 70, but its a little to rich and id like park, not blue.
Guess I might be too picky. You just wouldnt think it would be that hard to get a clone right, found out the Auto ordinance has a full length guide rod too.
The Inland is tempting but for some unfathomable reason they made it a series 80.
Old December 21, 2017, 00:09   #8
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Iíve heard that the laundry list of hoops youíll have to jump thru to acquire a CMP 1911 is a mile long to boot (mich more involved than their other firearms).

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017, 00:20   #9
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
Iíve heard that the laundry list of hoops youíll have to jump thru to acquire a CMP 1911 is a mile long to boot (mich more involved than their other firearms).
You have to jump through a few hoops for sure. I saw the list and it isn't like clicking a buy it now button and going to an FFL.
Old December 21, 2017, 21:41   #10
MajHenryWest
Registered

FALaholic #: 11906
Lightbulb

Find a Springfield Armory basic parkerized GI model from a few years ago,
my understanding is that they are forged, mil-spec pistols which for a time were made by Imbel in Brazil.
Old December 21, 2017, 21:53   #11
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Kahr has exactly what you're looking for.

http://irunguns.com/product.aut-1911bkow-45acp-5-7rd-25

Last edited by TerryN; December 21, 2017 at 22:35.
TerryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2017, 22:33   #12
Raggedwhole!
Registered

Are you sure you want a GI pistol? I can shoot them fairly well but nothing like I can shoot a newer 1911 like. The sights are the biggest draw back. Better sights, a good match barrel, a tight barrel bushing, light sear fluff and buff and fitting the trigger into the frame and I can print quarter sized groups. Of course I shoot pistols religiously twice a week and see my groups open up if I go on vacation and don't shoot for a couple weeks.
Old December 22, 2017, 16:42   #13
jdmcomp
Registered

FALaholic #: 8267
I wanted the same thing and bought the Springfield Armory gun. Changed the grips, safety, slide stop and backstrap (lanyard loop) to get a convincing WWII looking gun. Worked well. The ejection port is correct unlike most all other guns.
jdmcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 19:51   #14
Ghost
Registered

I thought Springfield used the lowered ejection port.
Today i went to the gunshop and loked at the old colt trade ins.
I was thinking of picking up a cosmetically rough government model,and converting it to A1 specs. That wont work as even the rough bubba'd ones were over $700
I can get a new series 70 government for a tad over $800. I'd hate to parkerize one though.
Checked out an Auto ordinance clone. It was nice, except its an 80, and the checkering is reversed like a negitive on some parts like the mag release. It is a proper short guide though, not a full length like had read. Trigger was crisp but very heavy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcomp View Post
I wanted the same thing and bought the Springfield Armory gun. Changed the grips, safety, slide stop and backstrap (lanyard loop) to get a convincing WWII looking gun. Worked well. The ejection port is correct unlike most all other guns.
Old December 23, 2017, 00:26   #15
Ghost
Registered

Is there a downside to current production Colt series 70 Government models? Aside from being blued (downside for my application any way).
Old December 23, 2017, 12:06   #16
MajHenryWest
Registered

FALaholic #: 11906
Lightbulb

Check out this page - good background on the older Springfield Armory 1911s.

https://www.m1911.org/prodte30.htm
Old December 23, 2017, 13:42   #17
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Find an old Norinco. Not sure what series
they were patterned after.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 15:36   #18
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajHenryWest View Post
my understanding is that they are forged, mil-spec pistols which for a time were made by Imbel in Brazil.
I bought one maybe 10 years ago and it's been a great pistol. Accurate and reliable too. My deal was $357 "out the door" back then. I've only changed the grips; once to walnut (too thick) and then to black plastic.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 22:01   #19
Ghost
Registered

The khar/Auto Ordinance is what started this up. I had been looking at a retro to complement some of my other guns.
Got the Auto ordinance as a gift for my father, that reignited the desire. For general shooting I'd go SA Range officer.
After looking at the old colts at my local ffl, they were all beat, and bubbad in some way, and were close enough to the cost of a new series 70 Colt that they weren't worth looking at.
Right now im kinda looking at just giving in and getting the Auto ordinance, or paying almost twice as much for a colt 70. Neither is exactly what I m after, but the Colts seem to hold their value, exept i will shoot i and bluing isnt the look im after and wears easily.
Old January 12, 2018, 12:34   #20
SAM1965
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 68344
Maybe

Spend some time looking in Pawn shops????
SAM1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018, 14:49   #21
jdmcomp
Registered

FALaholic #: 8267
Might try the online auction sites, most things are found there. Make take a bit of time. There are just a couple worth looking at, and I think you can leave search and notify request on both.
jdmcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 09:38   #22
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
For all the 80 series haters......why do you hate them?

I want to hear your reasons for hating 80 series 1911's. If your only answer is it can be a pain to reassemble, I get that and agree. But it in NO way effects operation of the pistol.
If your reason is people say you can't get a good trigger pull with a series 80, then you don't know how to tune a 1911.

Before you answer, let me tell you I'm a 1911 pistolsmith, trained by Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide, so no BS. I'll see right through it.

The reason for my post is maybe I can convince you that just because a 1911 is series 80 doesn't mean it isn't a good choice. I own probably 20-some 1911's and some are 80 series. I can guarantee if I were to hand one after another to you and let you fire them, you could NOT tell which was which.
In fact, two of my 1911's are 70 series National Match pistols that have never been touched inside...never tuned, and my series 80 pistols have MUCH better trigger pulls then they have.
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 11:53   #23
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsubgun View Post
For all the 80 series haters......why do you hate them?

I want to hear your reasons for hating 80 series 1911's. If your only answer is it can be a pain to reassemble, I get that and agree. But it in NO way effects operation of the pistol.
If your reason is people say you can't get a good trigger pull with a series 80, then you don't know how to tune a 1911.

Before you answer, let me tell you I'm a 1911 pistolsmith, trained by Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide, so no BS. I'll see right through it.

The reason for my post is maybe I can convince you that just because a 1911 is series 80 doesn't mean it isn't a good choice. I own probably 20-some 1911's and some are 80 series. I can guarantee if I were to hand one after another to you and let you fire them, you could NOT tell which was which.
In fact, two of my 1911's are 70 series National Match pistols that have never been touched inside...never tuned, and my series 80 pistols have MUCH better trigger pulls then they have.
Because it ain't righteous!
Colt's 1911 was invented by JOHN MOSES BROWNING, don't be fuggin with that.

OK, so I bought a Colt 1911 ASE series 80 last year and I have as yet found anything to find fault with including the trigger. It is much better fitted and has better sights and accuracy than my 1970's Gov't model 70. The 70 was polished and blued prettier.
I do not think the series 80 needed the contraption they put in it, but it's a non issue with me now.
If I had to choose between my 70 and 80 series, I'd sure miss that nice old 70 Colt.

Sorry, no argument here.

Last edited by MAINER; January 13, 2018 at 12:08.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 12:59   #24
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Because it ain't righteous!
Colt's 1911 was invented by JOHN MOSES BROWNING, don't be fuggin with that.
Well, then we would have to remove ALL changes for an original, i.e. arched mainspring housings, collet barrel bushings, etc. We couldn't have 1911A1's either.

Quote:
OK, so I bought a Colt 1911 ASE series 80 last year and I have as yet found anything to find fault with including the trigger. It is much better fitted and has better sights and accuracy than my 1970's Gov't model 70. The 70 was polished and blued prettier.
I do not think the series 80 needed the contraption they put in it, but it's a non issue with me now.
If I had to choose between my 70 and 80 series, I'd sure miss that nice old 70 Colt.

Sorry, no argument here.
Kinda my point. I do agree it wasn't needed, and I would bet it gets phased out.
The main reason people don't like the Series 80 pistol is because of apparent bad triggers, or people can't "tune" these pistols. Not true....it's internet BS.
Old January 13, 2018, 18:10   #25
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Ya know that I was just jerking your chain a bit, but "arched" Mainspring Housings don't work for me and I have replaced collet bushings after having one lock up a friends Colt at the range one day. Not a big deal, but with no tools to get the jammed slide off, it wasted my friend's range trip with his newly acquired used 1911 and he shot up all my Browning HP ammo.

I'm all in favor of many new innovations that we see on "Old Slabsides" these days, lowered ejection port, better sights, longer trigger, beveled mag well, throated barrels and Beavertail grip safeties with raised pad. Still undecided on Full Length Recoil Guide Rods, have used both the old and new with little trouble from either.
I don't have much use for front Slide serrations, would rather have them on the Front Grip Strap. Also don't care for extended Thumb Safeties or Slide releases.
That's the great thing about today's 1911, everyone can "have it their way".

Quote;
"Kinda my point. I do agree it wasn't needed, and I would bet it gets phased out.
The main reason people don't like the Series 80 pistol is because of apparent bad triggers, or people can't "tune" these pistols. Not true....it's internet BS."

I well remember the howls of protest and gnashing of teeth with the Series 80 when it came out. It did seem that there must be something wrong according to the 1911 fans. At the time I was not in a position to acquire anything with Colt on it unless it was used and cheap. I started reading about how to do a trigger job or remove the 80's parts to "improve" the crappy new Colt, but it was a long time before I came up with enough dollars to join the new gun crowd.
Now, I wonder what all the uproar was about.

A kind gentleman allowed me to run several mags thru his custom built C&S Colt Commander back in the 90's. Damn fine pistol.
Old January 13, 2018, 18:45   #26
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Ya know that I was just jerking your chain a bit, but "arched" Mainspring Housings don't work for me and I have replaced collet bushings after having one lock up a friends Colt at the range one day. Not a big deal, but with no tools to get the jammed slide off, it wasted my friend's range trip with his newly acquired used 1911 and he shot up all my Browning HP ammo.
I knew you were jerking my chain. Didn't think any other way.

I don't care for arched mainspring housings either. I had Carpal Tunnel surgery done a few decades ago and the arched housing rests right on the scar. I always change to flat housings except for more "collectible" 1911's.

Yeah, collet bushings need to be tossed! Just fit a standard bushing and the pistol will shoot better, and probably more accurate!

Quote:
I'm all in favor of many new innovations that we see on "Old Slabsides" these days, lowered ejection port, better sights, longer trigger, beveled mag well, throated barrels and Beavertail grip safeties with raised pad. Still undecided on Full Length Recoil Guide Rods, have used both the old and new with little trouble from either.
I don't have much use for front Slide serrations, would rather have them on the Front Grip Strap. Also don't care for extended Thumb Safeties or Slide releases.
That's the great thing about today's 1911, everyone can "have it their way".
Yep, lots of options.

As for full length guide rods, they are only needed if you have weight hanging on the end of the barrel. If you have a compensator, or a suppressor, etc., you should have a full length guide rod. I have pistols with them, some I added, others factory, but if I built one for myself tomorrow, it wouldn't have one.

Quote:
Quote;
"Kinda my point. I do agree it wasn't needed, and I would bet it gets phased out.
The main reason people don't like the Series 80 pistol is because of apparent bad triggers, or people can't "tune" these pistols. Not true....it's internet BS."

I well remember the howls of protest and gnashing of teeth with the Series 80 when it came out. It did seem that there must be something wrong according to the 1911 fans. At the time I was not in a position to acquire anything with Colt on it unless it was used and cheap. I started reading about how to do a trigger job or remove the 80's parts to "improve" the crappy new Colt, but it was a long time before I came up with enough dollars to join the new gun crowd.
Now, I wonder what all the uproar was about.

A kind gentleman allowed me to run several mags thru his custom built C&S Colt Commander back in the 90's. Damn fine pistol.
1911 guys are some of the most stubborn gun guys out there! LOL They don't like change even though the 1911 has evolved over time.

"Sticks & stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact."
Old January 13, 2018, 20:16   #27
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsubgun View Post
1911 guys are some of the most stubborn gun guys out there! LOL They don't like change even though the 1911 has evolved over time.
Wutjutokinbowt ???
Old January 14, 2018, 23:56   #28
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajHenryWest View Post
The page you quoted is not quite true. The NM serial numbered pistols are Imbel forged frames. The others are not, and no, NM does not stand for national match! It was just their serial numbering process.

I have 2 SA NM serialized pistols that I would put up against any Colt, and they are heads and shoulders above a RI.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018, 09:07   #29
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
My Springfield WWII GI model has a serial that starts with WW prefix. It's stamped IMBEL BRAZIL on the bottom of the dust cover.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 23:45   #30
Ghost
Registered

So, about series 80, and the 1911A1: Its not a 1911A1 clone if its series 80. Simple as that. If some one is buying a WW2-vietnam replica, to get a feel for how it was, you dont get that by having "modern" guts. Some will say, " well its not a Colt, singer, Remington rand ie. either. " but that misses the point. If you copy is close in detail, you can get a feel for it.
Now having said that, my brothers and I got one of the Auto ordinance "clones" as a gift for my father. It was very nicely done, except; the checker ing was inverted on the slide stop, and some other parts, giving them away as cast. The plastic used for the grips didnt have the same hard plastic feel. The trigger was very heavy, but also crisp. The fitment was good all around and it did feel very nice.
I ended up going in a very different direction for my self. Currently I'm gathering up every thing for s BM59 build.
I'll revisit the 1911A1 clone after Im done investing myself in the BM59.
Old January 18, 2018, 07:51   #31
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

I just go for the real thing, not a copy.

My Remington Rand........

But then, I didn't buy it, my grandfather did for $17 which included shipping, in 1962 from the NRA. It is an unissued pistol, made in 1945. It's still a solid 90-95%, even after my younger years of carrying it all across the Idaho desert.

Old January 18, 2018, 08:44   #32
Ghost
Registered

Idsubgun, that is a nice pistol!