The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 22, 2017, 09:58   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Beretta ARX100 Rifles for $899 at Buds Guns

Just saw that the Bertta ARX was on sale for $899 (cash price) at Buds guns. I never really liked the athestics of the gun, but it has some very cool features. Must not have been selling well at the $1200 price point. Not a bad price if you want one though.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/90335

Old December 22, 2017, 11:02   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Knowing little about the rifle until this very minute, I have to admit it's design is pretty cool as long as it is accurate and reliable.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 11:15   #3
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Knowing little about the rifle until this very minute, I have to admit it's design is pretty cool as long as it is accurate and reliable.
It is lknown to be extremely reliable.

Accuracy, well, in my experience and that of many others, a little less so...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 12:11   #4
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Shot one at a local range when they were $1200+.

Like the ambi features; mag release, safety, ejection, charging handle but the charging handle is seriously small. Definitely felt it had a "plastic" feel when handling.

Not enough distance at the indoor range to gauge accuracy but have heard the negatives.

They didn't drop the price just to be nice guys right?
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 12:17   #5
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
ou could buy 1 dwcwnt AR-15, or even a crappy FAL for same price.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 22:31   #6
Casqui1541
Registered

FALaholic #: 75204
Picked one up for $879.99 at local Academy a few months ago. Added the pic. rail forend so I can use vertical fore grip. Much better than the smallish horizontal forend that comes on it. The 3:00 and 9:00 rail sections get in the way of a good solid grip with the horizontal forend. I like all the ambidexterity. Charging handle is small, but doesn't bother me. I don't have sausages for fingers though. I like the folding collapsible stock. Stock is lower to top of receiver than say an AR15. Recommend lower mounts for optics due to this. Stock back-up sights are big/tall; unnecessarily so, but they can be removed/swapped for your favorite brand. The steel mag that comes with it appears to be from the AR 70/90 series. Mine has worked fine with US GI, Lancer, and MagPul Gen 2's. It has, thus far, been reliable as any AK I've owned; meaning 100% reliable. It's short-stroke piston with adjustable gas system and quick-change barrel if you ever need those features. I would like to have a 12" barrel. Biggest disappointment is the trigger, mine breaks somewhere between 9 and 10 lb's. This has been my biggest barrier to accuracy. The 4 MOA dot on the Aimpoint Comp M2 that I have on it is not an aid to accuracy either. With one of the Shooting Sights 5.5 lb replacement triggers installed, I expect accuracy would increase. However, that's a $215 addition. It's a civilian version of a 21st Century assault rifle. Likely not the rifle for those who can't leave things as they are as there's not much that can be changed out. One of the best features is that an AR15 buttstock WILL NOT work on it. I've no regrets. I will likely add the trigger though. Here in AR it ships with the one aforementioned Beretta 30 round magazine, the backup sights, sight tool, a sling, and a padded nylon carrying case. It's a much less expensive alternative to the CZ Bren and the FN SCAR. Comparing cost only, one could get this rifle, the improved trigger, better backup sights, an Aimpoint Pro (or other decent optic), some extra mag's, and some ammo for the price of the SCAR. With the ambidexterity, it compliments my Gen 1 Walther PPQ nicely.
Casqui1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 23:47   #7
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casqui1541 View Post
Picked one up for $879.99 at local Academy a few months ago. Added the pic. rail forend so I can use vertical fore grip. Much better than the smallish horizontal forend that comes on it. The 3:00 and 9:00 rail sections get in the way of a good solid grip with the horizontal forend. I like all the ambidexterity. Charging handle is small, but doesn't bother me. I don't have sausages for fingers though. I like the folding collapsible stock. Stock is lower to top of receiver than say an AR15. Recommend lower mounts for optics due to this. Stock back-up sights are big/tall; unnecessarily so, but they can be removed/swapped for your favorite brand. The steel mag that comes with it appears to be from the AR 70/90 series. Mine has worked fine with US GI, Lancer, and MagPul Gen 2's. It has, thus far, been reliable as any AK I've owned; meaning 100% reliable. It's short-stroke piston with adjustable gas system and quick-change barrel if you ever need those features. I would like to have a 12" barrel. Biggest disappointment is the trigger, mine breaks somewhere between 9 and 10 lb's. This has been my biggest barrier to accuracy. The 4 MOA dot on the Aimpoint Comp M2 that I have on it is not an aid to accuracy either. With one of the Shooting Sights 5.5 lb replacement triggers installed, I expect accuracy would increase. However, that's a $215 addition. It's a civilian version of a 21st Century assault rifle. Likely not the rifle for those who can't leave things as they are as there's not much that can be changed out. One of the best features is that an AR15 buttstock WILL NOT work on it. I've no regrets. I will likely add the trigger though. Here in AR it ships with the one aforementioned Beretta 30 round magazine, the backup sights, sight tool, a sling, and a padded nylon carrying case. It's a much less expensive alternative to the CZ Bren and the FN SCAR. Comparing cost only, one could get this rifle, the improved trigger, better backup sights, an Aimpoint Pro (or other decent optic), some extra mag's, and some ammo for the price of the SCAR. With the ambidexterity, it compliments my Gen 1 Walther PPQ nicely.
As you mention, Art Neergaard's ShootingSight trigger ($215) should be automatically factored into the cost of the rifle. It is an excellent trigger and the original OEM trigger is not...

Having said that, still don't expect the rifle to be as accurate as most non-freefloat tube ARs...

Forrest
Old December 23, 2017, 00:50   #8
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Thanks for sharing the info and for those that want one, prob an outstanding price. Still not low enough for me to “want one.”

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 07:39   #9
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Lots of nice features but it looks to be a non-starter accuracy wise. Too bad. My other criticism is that I think the Beretta guy should speak with an Italian accent.
Old December 23, 2017, 07:43   #10
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I was hot to go when Beretta first announced them,,ice cold when I finally got to fondle one.
That was well over a year ago at Whittakers guns in ky and they were sub 1k and not moving.
I'm glad you like it, but it's no AR70 and not for me...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 08:19   #11
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I thk Beretta,I usually think a slender and gracely Italian gal,not a stubby fat toad looking thing. I was not prepared for what I saw.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 09:53   #12
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
So accuracy sucks. Define "sucks".

One comment said about accuracy....."don't expect the rifle to be as accurate as most non-freefloat tube ARs...", which in my experience can be as good as 1 MOA.

Trying to get numbers vs over repeated and non-experienced internet babble.
Old December 23, 2017, 10:57   #13
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
So accuracy sucks. Define "sucks".

One comment said about accuracy....."don't expect the rifle to be as accurate as most non-freefloat tube ARs...", which in my experience can be as good as 1 MOA.

Trying to get numbers vs over repeated and non-experienced internet babble.
If your 'accuracy sucks' comment is directed at me, don't put words in my mouth...

I never said that accuracy sucks, only that you won't find accuracy up to the standard of cheapie ARs.

And, as you imply, accuracy (especially practical accuracy) is a very relative concept. After all, we ARE on a FAL forum (speaking of accuracy, you know).

I have some Christmas stuff to do with my daughter and grandkids for a while today, but I'll try to get back later this evening with a little more on the accuracy of the Beretta ARX100 (and some general thoughts about the rifle).

Sorry for the delay. If I never come back, it's probably the Alzheimer's or death...

Also, for more info on the thoughts of others about the rifle, there are 56 pages of comments on AR15.com in the Armory forum under 'general stuff' (or whatever exactly it's called there), in addition to a number of other threads on specific aspects of the rifle.

Later,

Forrest
Old December 23, 2017, 11:38   #14
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
If your 'accuracy sucks' comment is directed at me, don't put words in my mouth...

I never said that accuracy sucks, only that you won't find accuracy up to the standard of cheapie ARs.

And, as you imply, accuracy (especially practical accuracy) is a very relative concept. After all, we ARE on a FAL forum (speaking of accuracy, you know).

I have some Christmas stuff to do with my daughter and grandkids for a while today, but I'll try to get back later this evening with a little more on the accuracy of the Beretta ARX100 (and some general thoughts about the rifle).

Sorry for the delay. If I never come back, it's probably the Alzheimer's or death...

Also, for more info on the thoughts of others about the rifle, there are 56 pages of comments on AR15.com in the Armory forum under 'general stuff' (or whatever exactly it's called there), in addition to a number of other threads on specific aspects of the rifle.

Later,

Forrest
My apologies, no, my comment was not directed at you or any particular person or comment for that matter. I used your phrase as an example of the closest thing to an actual accuracy report to make my point but it was certainly not intended to be a dig at you or your comment. And my "accuracy sucks" comment is my own and my curt assumption of the general feel of the thread.
I will appreciate your experience concerning the rifle and will watch for more detailed information other than the aforementioned general repeated babble.

Thanks for the shout out for AR15.com but I very rarely go there, typically only when all other forums are dead or I've been drinking.
Old December 23, 2017, 12:35   #15
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
My apologies, no, my comment was not directed at you or any particular person or comment for that matter. I used your phrase as an example of the closest thing to an actual accuracy report to make my point but it was certainly not intended to be a dig at you or your comment. And my "accuracy sucks" comment is my own and my curt assumption of the general feel of the thread.
I will appreciate your experience concerning the rifle and will watch for more detailed information other than the aforementioned general repeated babble.

Thanks for the shout out for AR15.com but I very rarely go there, typically only when all other forums are dead or I've been drinking.
No need for any apology.

That's one of the problems with the printed word vs spoken...

I meant to put a smilie after my 'don't put words in my mouth' comment, but forgot. Sorry for that (forgetting makes my comment sound much more harsh than I meant/intended).

Anyway, gotta run now. More later...

Forrest
Old December 23, 2017, 17:06   #16
Combloc
Registered

FALaholic #: 55596
The Beretta was designed for war, not target shooting. For its intended purpose, it's plenty accurate. I've had one since they first came out and I've loved it since the first range trip. I usually judge a rifle based on its own merits, not what others can and cannot do. In my opinion, I would feel plenty confident taking the ARX into combat. That's good enough for me and I like it for what IT is, NOT what other rifles are. What I'm trying to say is.....but one and enjoy it for what it is; a 100% reliable Beretta that will hit a man sized target all day long at 300 meters.
Old December 23, 2017, 20:31   #17
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
I was hot to go when Beretta first announced them,,ice cold when I finally got to fondle one.
That was well over a year ago at Whittakers guns in ky and they were sub 1k and not moving.
I'm glad you like it, but it's no AR70 and not for me...
Agreed!!!

Tony
AGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 20:39   #18
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
I want what she's got:

Old December 23, 2017, 22:41   #19
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
I want what she's got:

I want......
rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 12:17   #20
herd118
Registered

FALaholic #: 21720
Quote:
I want what she's got.
If you're wanting a front heavy and dated sheet metal constructed Sig designed rifle, just skip the Beretta middleman and get a Sig 556. Though you'll have to buy the railed Sig 556 to get to the Beretta 70/90 weight - pushing 9 lb. unloaded.
herd118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 21:36   #21
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by herd118 View Post
If you're wanting a front heavy and dated sheet metal constructed Sig designed rifle, just skip the Beretta middleman and get a Sig 556. Though you'll have to buy the railed Sig 556 to get to the Beretta 70/90 weight - pushing 9 lb. unloaded.
Better check your facts...
Beretta & Sig had a design collaboration for an infantry rifle going on back in the day,,,but the cabbage head side wouldent/couldent see the light and insisted only on a roller lock designed rifle.
Beretta ended their partnership and developed the successful AR70,,while Sig fuddled with a few basically unseccessful roller lock designs before finally throwing in the towel and copying the turn bolt Beretta....

BTW, the Sig 550 is 9.04lbs unloaded

Last edited by yovinny; December 24, 2017 at 21:42.
Old December 24, 2017, 22:17   #22
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
I want what she's got:

You mean like good trigger-finger discipline?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 00:04   #23
herd118
Registered

FALaholic #: 21720
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Better check your facts...
Beretta & Sig had a design collaboration for an infantry rifle going on back in the day,,,but the cabbage head side wouldent/couldent see the light and insisted only on a roller lock designed rifle.
Beretta ended their partnership and developed the successful AR70,,while Sig fuddled with a few basically unseccessful roller lock designs before finally throwing in the towel and copying the turn bolt Beretta....

BTW, the Sig 550 is 9.04lbs unloaded
SIG did initially proceed with the roller lock on the earlier 530, but that was abandoned in 1969. The SIG 540, the next version, was developed from the AK47 rotating bolt. It is functionally identical to the AR70, it also derived from the AK47, and both the SIG and Beretta versions were introduced in 1972. SIG couldn't start production until 1973 due to Swiss arms export laws, the 540 was then manufactured by Manuhrin.

BTW, the SIG 556, the one I referenced, is 8.2 lbs. And 8.4 lbs. with the rail.

Last edited by herd118; December 25, 2017 at 00:18.
herd118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 08:02   #24
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by herd118 View Post
SIG did initially proceed with the roller lock on the earlier 530, but that was abandoned in 1969. The SIG 540, the next version, was developed from the AK47 rotating bolt. It is functionally identical to the AR70, it also derived from the AK47, and both the SIG and Beretta versions were introduced in 1972. SIG couldn't start production until 1973 due to Swiss arms export laws, the 540 was then manufactured by Manuhrin.

BTW, the SIG 556, the one I referenced, is 8.2 lbs. And 8.4 lbs. with the rail.
The Beretta was completed and actually came on the market in 1970, hence the designation AR70.
But your right, Sig finally came to their senses, gave up on their roller lock and had the French copy Beretta's successful design for them a few years later in 73-74'.

They say Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,,, and better late than never...

Have a Merry Christmas...