Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old December 18, 2017, 13:04   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Hunting and lunch.

Got a few nice photos of a red fox hunting and having it's lunch out my back door.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 13:06   #2
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
very cool pics. thanks for sharing.
Old December 18, 2017, 13:18   #3
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Great shots!
Foxey looks to have a nice winter coat.
Thanks for posting those.

"DON'T do business with this guy" (me) in the Marketplace.
Twenty years of (+) across the innerwebs are wrong...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 13:21   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Wish I had a few here to get rid of the gophers

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 13:40   #5
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Great pix!
Old December 18, 2017, 14:11   #6
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Great photos!

I always had a soft spot for foxes, they do more good than harm in general. And they are spunky little critters, will fight you for that "dying rabbit"!

Or bite at your leg pants, sniff at your neck when calling, or run clear over you. Personally observed in my numerous years of predator calling.

Coyotes are a different story, I killed lots and lots of them.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 14:12   #7
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Great pix!
My thoughts exactly!!
Old December 18, 2017, 14:16   #8
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
Awesome pics. My father had a fox like that near his home. Brings back memories.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 14:39   #9
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

I just figure that every mouse or vole a fox or a red tailed hawk gets, it's one less I have to catch in the house.

I do have a ball with my cameras.

Semper Fi
Art
Old December 18, 2017, 20:33   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Nice pictures sir! Standard lens camera or long zoom?

When predator/varmint/vermin hunting coyote, ground hogs, crows, and much more die without question or remorse. Fox get a free walk by unless on a property where owner has asked for them to be taken due to damaging smaller livestock. Will usually trap them if under orders as traps work 24/7 without me having to be on-site and do less damage to fur if accidentally have wrong rifle/ammo selection when a fox appears.

We were always able to keep quail and fox on farm if were wary and noticed if started seeing fox in pasture as meant were hunting quail as well as rodents. Just one fox every few years and we had very good wild quail hunting into late 1990's but had to be careful on number of people that hunted and put a personal farm limit per person per day and per season. I officially moved off the farm in 1985 but came home at least every other weekend and one weekday every week or two to shoot and hunt.

By 1987 my mountaineering career began to take me out of state our country for month or more at a time, by Y2K coyotes were increasing fast and before realized how bad our wild quail were gone. Total decimation of quail and except for one breeding pair who never got eggs hatched, hatchlings raised the yotes destroyed them. The pair were savy and lived till age either took them or slowed them till varmints did. Dad was never a marksman and brother didn't move back till 2010 which gave the coyote a decade of free run.

Have a predator call, crazy spinning stick with feather looking thing that draws them in like flies till get a couple killed and they smell bodies from their own pack. They will come back and eat their pals just learned if we are shooting too much to lurk and wait. Loanin brother night vision on a turn bolt that I know he should have a good chance as if roughly guesses range it shoots flat enough even on yotes has a point blank range on yotes with near zero of 50 yards and far zero of 333 yards.

22-250 Ackley Improved using 37 grain bullet at 4480 fps so hold center of vitals anywhere between 50 and 350 yards and squeeze. Sat a ATN X Sight with digital zoom plus day and night capability along with upgraded I.R. illuminator. Just hope he doesn't mistake one of our few foxes for a yotes at night as now our fox population is getting extremely thin. From his front porch to farthest shot will have at night is about 250 yards except on spot at an honest 300 yards but will set his call and bait about 150 yards from his rifle rest. Over Christmas will have some time after dark to train him on the scope and the rifle is a work of art. Unless shooter pulls the shot, bullet will hit its mark. Was taken on lots of Kolo"rad"o Prarie dog shoots and has a fresh barrel with under 300 rounds. Only giving him enough ammo to shoot yotes, not just randomly shoot whatever, whenever.

Get rid of the yotes, maybe fox will repopulate and might try reintroducing quail though usually doesn't work. If aggressive enough to protect first few groups of farm hatched quail and let then hatch enough to raise quail born in wild hopefully genetics will allow second and third generations to survive. Keeping up a farm for wild game is way too much work but would like to see quail again. Nothing like flushing a covey of wild quail with a 28 gauge over and under. Gives them a sporting chance, farm raised can fly about 50 feet before too tired to continue. Want to have our fox back and turkey so abundant could not go a day without seeing as well. Protect your small game or in a few years may not get that view often.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 05:28   #11
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

We had plenty of coyotes around here for a long time. They pretty much wiped out the turkey and deer population.
I did find a solution that does a great job for my location. Out to 300 the AR-Five Seven in 5.7 x 28 using 40 gr vmax poking along at 2K fps will knock the socks off a coyote. With the suppressor, you can just sit and keep eliminating them. Makes an excellent bullet loaded in .223 up to about 3200 is fast enough.

Semper Fi
Art
Old December 19, 2017, 06:39   #12
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

For a second there, I was going to call *mag foul* but...

I don't hunt them, but hear coyotes a-howling away around this area, mostly at night. Fascinating to listen to them.

One time, down at Land Between the Lakes in KY, I stood a few feet away from a coyote while it was howling and was amazed how one animal can make it sound like a whole pack of them! Definitely a good survival skill when dealing with competition, intimidation and territory.

Old December 19, 2017, 06:54   #13
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

These things are even more interesting with a FA lower which I do not have.
Old December 19, 2017, 08:08   #14
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
For a second there, I was going to call *mag foul* but...
That's just an empty ejection port isn't it?. I wonder if he has enough ammo on tap in case the yotes' rally and charge.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 08:10   #15
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
That's just an empty ejection port isn't it?. I wonder if he has enough ammo on tap in case the yotes' rally and charge.
yep and yep

Old December 19, 2017, 09:28   #16
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Cool thing about the AR Five Seven is that it ejects spent cases down through mag well. If you don't want to have to pick up your brass for reloading just gut a 30 rnd ar mag and slap it in the well. Will collect close to a hundred spent brass so there is no policing necessary.
Old December 21, 2017, 23:52   #17
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
The pictures were great to see. I used to have a red fox family that lived on the hill behind my house. I would see them occasionally when I was coming home from work at about 2 am, but a couple of years back the coyotes moved in to the area and the foxes have disappeared. I can hear the coyotes howling most nights when I go out to feed my dogs. Id like to do a little coyote control at night/early morning. Just wish I had a can so I could do it clandestinely.

He Art, was I had a idea when the AR57 first came out and just wondering what you think about it. Had the idea to take a 20 or 30 round mag but it and leave the floor plate off. Then make a bag out of nylon or something and then attach it to the mag with some Velcro so you could hold more spent cases before having to empty it out.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 06:07   #18
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

He Art, was I had a idea when the AR57 first came out and just wondering what you think about it. Had the idea to take a 20 or 30 round mag but it and leave the floor plate off. Then make a bag out of nylon or something and then attach it to the mag with some Velcro so you could hold more spent cases before having to empty it out.[/QUOTE]

No reason that wouldn't work just fine.
I have an FN supplied cloth bag with a zipper to empty that clips on my PS-90. That works great.
PS-90 also ejects down.
Old December 22, 2017, 14:04   #19
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Neat rifle. Is it just blowback operation? I noticed the right side charge knob.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 15:01   #20
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Neat rifle. Is it just blowback operation? I noticed the right side charge knob.
Yes
Old December 22, 2017, 17:03   #21
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Great pictures Art....foxes are very interesting critters. Introduced and do great harm here but interesting none the less.

A few pic from some years ago...

(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 18:07   #22
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Thanks.
I would much rather have them here than their cousin the coyote.
I know they eat a lot of baby turkeys but they do keep the rodent population down.