The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old December 02, 2017, 05:05   #1
Cavadus
Registered

FALaholic #: 72900
Arrow The Greatest Prep of All: Your Fitness

33 year old male here. Was active duty Army for 7 years, 19D, been out for nearly 7 years at this point.

Let myself become a fatbody for most of it. Got married, got comfortable, got involved in work.

Around six months ago I got on the keto diet and got back into the gym for a relatively intense lifting routine.

I have shed thirty pounds, was able to transition to a basic low-carb diet (keto really can't be permanent), got on solid multivitamins, creatine; the whole nine yards.

I've always been a bit of a prepper but I can honestly say that getting my body lean and mean again has been the single greatest prep for me.

If you've been hesitating, putting it off, whatever; just get back in shape. Nothing is as important as your fitness. NOTHING. Not bullets, not beans, not the latest and greatest plasma-arc lighter; whatever.

I started out real simple following this routine to a T.

Then I transitioned to 5x5 - Stronglifts and just moved over to Madcow 5x5.

Headaches are gone, heartburn is gone, back to only needing around 5-6 hours of sleep to get through a day feeling good.

It's no B.S., train like you want to be the hardest person anyone has ever tried to kill. Getting back in shape has been one of the greatest decisions of my life after ETSing and I've vowed to never let myself relapse like I did before.

I implore you to look after your fitness. If you're not fit the rest of your preps are relatively meaningless.
Cavadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 07:25   #2
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
You are correct. I haven't gone as intensive as you, but I have dropped 12 pounds since July. Feeling better.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 09:33   #3
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I changed my ways a year and a half ago. Dropped 80+ pounds. I have mostly kept it off and maintained but want to lose some more. Recently started back on Weight Watchers and have lost 8 pounds in the last few weeks. Thinner is definitely better. I am off my blood pressure medicine and my HDL&LDL are fine for the first time in a llloooonnnngggg time.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 11:09   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I am 65, I survived.
Old December 02, 2017, 12:52   #5
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
You are quite right, you won't survive a crisis if you have a heart attack within the first few minutes. FWIW this is the routine I follow. http://www.mensjournal.com/expert-ad...tness-20160208
It covers everything and you don't need a lot of equipment. Other than a multi-vitamin I don't use supplements. My diet is about what I'd eat if I had to use my stored food. I eat a lot of beans and rice.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 14:47   #6
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
This this this.

If S does HTF, how many civilian "operators" with war belts, armor, and bug out bags are actually going to be able to huff that crap around all day, or even in a sprint?

Your gear is just a bag of tools....your body and mind are the weapons.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2017, 15:31   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
You can't stay young and fit all your life, maybe there is a point where cunning will take the place of fit.
Old December 04, 2017, 00:04   #8
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Iíve been trying to get back to a good fighting weight. About a year ago I meet with a neurologist for my migraine headaches that would last weeks at a time. After examining me, he told me thereís not any medicine that would make my headaches stop and go away. He told me that I needed to loose weight (30-40 lbs) and to get more sleep.

So far Iíve been able to keep about 20 pounds off. 10 of those pounds have come in the last month or so. What has worked for me lately has been to go hunting with my dogs. Walking the fields while packing 10 to 15 pounds of gear has really helped too.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 04:57   #9
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I walked about 6 miles today, climbed a 300' mesa ,with my dog, nice walk. i am 54 & my knees are starting to hurt, so i need to lose more weight & get to about 180#.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 06:10   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
54 and just had 5th employee under 35 (all in good shape, one three combat tours in Marine Corp) in 2.5 years quit as said it was unfair for me to expect them to work as hard as I do. Have boat load of orthopedic issues, broke back, broke neck and three bouts with cancer but can still out work men half my age easily. Weigh 178 (gained 10 pounds due to meds was taking recently but already knocking it off) should be 168 by spring and 163 by fall. It's either take it off or buy new cloths which will get into gun budget.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 09:54   #11
gunners
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 55824
Today is exactly thirteen years to the day since I got drunk for the last time. I weigh over 140 pounds less now. I am 58 and leave kid's today in the dust walking. Get your fat ass off the couch and live!
gunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 13:02   #12
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
You can't stay young and fit all your life, maybe there is a point where cunning will take the place of fit.
You can't stay young and fit, but you can certainly be less of a shitbody in old age. Combine that with cunning and apathy and you will be unstoppable.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2017, 14:23   #13
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Been on KETO since last winter. Dropped from 195 to 163. I'm 66, btw. Been a regular gym rat since late 20's. No processed foods, no sugar or sugar substitutes, no vegetable oils (too heavy with omega 6s), cook from scratch, eat organic, raw milk. I doubt many my age can see their abs! *laugh*
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2017, 13:41   #14
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I have worked hard or worked out most of my life since age 8 on the farm.

Benefits are great, but the greatest thing you can do is to quit smoking and hard drinking in your 30's.

Plateaus of aging are arrived at, as you have probably encountered; slowdowns and changes in performance/endurance happen. By age 55, you are different.

At 70, I work out at Y about 10hrs a week.
What has made the most difference by age 70?

Exercise, work, movement, in younger years, but no smoking or heavy drinking since 35.

Those habits into their 60's, have killed MANY of my childhood contemporaries.

Frank, Frank, Steve, Bill, Chico, Jim, Tom, John, Charley, Ed, Chris, Bruce, Clayt, Dennis, Barbara, Hartman, Bob. None made it to 70. Three heart attacks, no strokes in the group, mostly lung cancer, cancer, cirhossis of liver/kidney disease.

Others still alive, barely, blame smoking and drinking. Two have leg amputations.

I have adopted younger groups as a result, in hobbies, etc.

Last edited by V guy; December 11, 2017 at 14:09.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote