Notices

Old December 07, 2017, 14:12   #1
martin35
un viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Remembering Pearl Harbour

Not many veterans of that attack are alive today,,, I was playing with my cousins new Lionel train set,,, and I had to stop when the news came on the radio,,, my hatred of Japs was initiated from that moment on,,, other more serious reasons came in the years to come.

Remembering Pearl Harbor is a intregal part of my life.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 15:44   #2
Nick H.
Registered

FALaholic #: 9591
I was there and took a tour of the Missouri 18 months ago. Very emotional for me.
Old December 07, 2017, 16:00   #3
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick H. View Post
I was there and took a tour of the Missouri 18 months ago. Very emotional for me.
I hope to some day get there. so far the Vietnam memorial has been the most emotional memorial I have been to. I am not ashamed to say I cried.
Old December 07, 2017, 16:39   #4
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
todays podcast a first hand account from a man that was aboard the USS Arizona on Dec 7, 1941

Quote:
Remembering Pearl Harbor, Stories From First Hand Accounts: If you have been listening to WallBuilders Live for very long at all, you know how much we respect our veterans and how appreciative we are of the sacrifice they make to make our freedoms possible. One of the ways that we love to honor those veterans is to tell their stories here on WallBuilders Live. Today, we are interviewing Don Stratton who shares with us his first hand account of Pearl Harbor.
https://wallbuilderslive.com/remembe...hand-accounts/
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 17:15   #5
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tar/926756001/

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 17:37   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Been to the AZ memorial a couple of times. Very moving to contrast the serenity at the site now versus the hell that was unleashed that day

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 19:50   #7
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
To get the full power of this you need to stand up and recite it in a tone of voice like you really mean it. Remember, the President was speaking over the radio, not on TV, so inflection was everything.

Kick Ass and take names baby!!

President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on December 8th, 1941 to Joint Session of the U.S. Congress:

"Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, Members of the Senate, and of the House of Representatives:

Yesterday, December 7th, 1941 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in the American island of Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to our Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. And while this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or of armed attack.1

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. I regret to tell you that very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday, the Japanese government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night, the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

And this morning, the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense. But always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory, and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph -- so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7th, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire."
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 20:50   #8
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftonaviation View Post
I hope to some day get there. so far the Vietnam memorial has been the most emotional memorial I have been to. I am not ashamed to say I cried.
I took a trip to D.C. years ago and found the name of someone I knew so long ago. Very moving indeed. To check for names on the Vietnam Wall go here.

http://thewall-usa.com

My Father served in the U.S. Army in the South Pacific as an artillery officer. I think he was on Saipan and Iwo Jima if I remember right. He passed away in his sleep two weeks after his 94th birthday. I got to spend two weeks with him just before he passed away both of us yelling at the TV, we had a great time together.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 20:51   #9
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Got to see the Arizona Memorial in High School.
Still have the pictures.

It's a very moving experience. It's one of the few
things I think every American should see in their lifetime.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 23:02   #10
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
This is what a buddy posted on FB today. Savage as F**k

JRXXX added 2 new photos.
10 hrs
Dec 7th 1941. The day Japan fucked up so bad that we turned them into shadow people with science. #Sorrynotsorry. Remember Pearl Harbor, but more importantly try to muster up the same pride, resiliency, steadfast determination, and knowledge that absolute victory is still necessary for our survival! We still are a righteous people! Well, everyone but liberal millennials anyways! #AmericansFIRST #NeverForget #PearlHarbor #Saltdogs #OldBreed #MAGA

SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 23:26   #11
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
People knew what the Japs were capable of after they went into the Chinese city of Nanking in December, 1937. Six weeks later, the death toll estimates ranged from 40,000 to 300,000.

It became known as the Rape of Nanking.

https://hist333rapeofnanking.wordpress.com/
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 00:05   #12
martin35
un viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
My 1st glimpse of the USS Arizona was of just a rusty gun turret deck mount sticking out of the oil streaked water,,, the ship with most of it's crew and its broken keel was lying sunk in the harbor mud it's super structure long since removed and it guns salvaged and mounted as shore batteries at different places around the Island,,, I was on a troop transport on my way to Japan before going to Korea at the time.

A short time later after completing my tour in Korea and the Far East I was stationed at Kaneohe Bay Marine base which also incorporated all of US Army Fort Hase a Island defense fort where one of the Arizona's big guns was shore mounted until shortly after WWII in a concrete emplacement just north of the rifle range where I painted rocks and wacked weeds for several months.
The Memorial we see today was built sometime in the early 1960's.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 01:10   #13
mofugger
Registered

FALaholic #: 71235
Why doesn't the main stream media bastards seem to care about this?
mofugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 08:43   #14
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugger View Post
Why doesn't the main stream media bastards seem to care about this?
it is not part of their agenda
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 12:43   #15
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftonaviation View Post
I hope to some day get there. So far the Vietnam memorial has been the most emotional memorial I have been to. I am not ashamed to say I cried.
The National POW Museum affected me similarly. Can't really say why, just a very powerful place. https://www.nps.gov/ande/planyourvis....htm/index.htm. On the site of the Andersonville prison and cemetery down in GA. Coupled it with a short trip over to Plains so my daughter could meet Jimmy and Rosalynn (really).

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote