The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old December 07, 2017, 12:03   #1
xiledone
Registered

FALaholic #: 80335
Smith LTD. M14

I recently acquired a Smith LTD. stamped M14 with a low serial number. I have found out who and when it was made but cant find any information on how many were made or any that have sold to get an approximate value. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I was able to get a Winchester M1 Garand serial puts it at Oct 1942. But it has some mixed parts, bolt and barrel are Winchester but Springfield trigger group and extractor. Does that hurt the value? for ones in this condition full Winchester i have seen around $3000
xiledone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 15:17   #2
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
You should get the headspace checked by a TRUE M-14 smith before firing it or at least someone with the proper headpsace tools and correct knowledge of how to do it. I am sure Art Banks will be around shortly to give you its full analysis.

Look brother, some M-14 clones (and FAL too apparently) receivers are of The Hope Diamond status and some are total pieces of shit doorstops or paper weights that need to be recycled into rebar or something worthwhile. What DOES matter is THE MAN who put the rifle together. SOME, yall read the word "SOME" here, (okay? good) some trashy receivers, IF they are not overall inherently DANGEROUS " CAN, MAYBE, MIGHT BE ABLE TO" be turned into a functional, safe, reliable M-14 clone, again by THE MAN, ALRIGHT, THE MAN who can do it. So, you might have a good rifle or you might have the basis for a good parts kit. Only the proper inspection. gauging will tell for sure.

Keep us posted.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2017, 15:07   #3
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
I do not know if cross posting to another forum is allowed but here you go:

http://m14forum.com/m14/14176-adviso...smith-ltd.html
garandguy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2017, 16:51   #4
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
I do understand that they left a bit to be desired.
The only one I have handled had the scope mounting area so far out that it could only be used with a Sadlak mount.

Last edited by ArtBanks; December 10, 2017 at 18:01.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2017, 10:49   #5
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
I do understand that they left a bit to be desired.
The only one I have handled had the scope mounting area so far out that it could only be used with a Sadlak mount.
Brother Art: Wasn't Karl Maunz involved in the "manufacture" of these Smith Limited receivers made in Ohio back then? Does anyone here know?

Thanks,
Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2017, 22:35   #6
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
This is a cut from Diffrent
All this occurred a few years before my M14 enthusiasm

Mr. Maunz sold his M14 rifle business to Smith Manufacturing in Toledo, OH about 1984. The semi-automatic M14 receiver master die was loaned to them as part of the sale. Smith Manufacturing produced complete Semi-Auto (M14 type) rifles built on investment cast H&R Gun Co. stamped receivers. The H&R Gun Co. Semi-Auto 7.62MM-M14 receivers were marked TOLEDO, OHIO though Smith Manufacturing was physically located in Holland, OH about fourteen miles to the west. H&R Gun Co. Semi-Auto 7.62MM-M14 rifles were assembled with Harrington & Richardson M14 parts kits imported in 1985 by Jack Friese (see Armscorp of America, Inc. and Armscorp USA, Inc.). All H&R Gun Co. models were originally sold as complete rifles by Smith Manufacturing. The highest serial number observed for an H&R Gun Co. Semi-Auto 7.62MM-M14 is 1126. Smith Manufacturing was operated by Carl Hinkelman and two other associates. As an aside, Carl Hinkelman lived in Toledo, OH within blocks of the Schuster family at the time (see Commercial Accessories). Karl Maunz was a consultant to Smith Manufacturing on the H&R Gun Co. project."

and

"Smith Manufacturing also produced Smith, Ltd. investment cast semi-automatic M14 type receivers. Smith, Ltd. receivers were made about 1987. Smith, Ltd. receivers were assembled as complete rifles and sold about 1987 and 1988 at Camp Perry shooting matches by Smith Manufacturing. The receiver quality is good and parts fit if using USGI and/or National Match parts is excellent, based on examination of Smith, Ltd. rifles serial numbered 0210, 0225, 0236 and 0237. A commercial manufacture bolt and commercial manufacture operating rod were found to be too thick to slide smoothly inside Smith, Ltd. serial number 0237.
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 12:29   #7
hawk7173
Registered

FALaholic #: 7930
If I remember correctly, I had Smith Ltd. 0236 which had I believe all Winchester parts with no issues. It was a long, long time ago.....LOL
Old December 16, 2017, 13:53   #8
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk7173 View Post
If I remember correctly, I had Smith Ltd. 0236 which had I believe all Winchester parts with no issues. It was a long, long time ago.....LOL
Nice to see you come out of hibernation my friend.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 14:33   #9
hawk7173
Registered

FALaholic #: 7930
Figured it was time to have a life outside my own forum....lol

Tags
m1 garand, m14, smith, winchester