Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old December 06, 2017, 16:40   #1
fal308762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80348
FAL gunsmith needed

guys anyone recommend a gunsmith who can install a new ohio assault weapons receiver to my FAL kit I bought years ago. I live in CA near Vacaville and woodland. Appreciate any help thanks
fal308762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 18:22   #2
Frenchkat
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17396
The Ohio site doesn’t show FAL receivers. Are you sure about the manufacturer?

Is it possible that you have an Ohio Rapid Fire receiver?

If so, use the Search function here.

If not, we’d all like to know more details.
Old December 06, 2017, 18:29   #3
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Quote:
Originally Posted by fal308762 View Post
guys anyone recommend a gunsmith who can install a new ohio assault weapons receiver to my FAL kit I bought years ago. I live in CA near Vacaville and woodland. Appreciate any help thanks
Contact Glen Riddle at Magnum Gunsmithing in N Lima Ohio, excellent FAL gunsmith. Check your receiver to verify info provided. Google for contacting Glen. SB

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2017, 19:48   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
The defective crap that Todd Grove was flogging as "Ohio Rapid Fire" passed on to "Assault Weapons of Ohio" with his passing. Same shit, different seller.

I won't accept them for work.
Old December 06, 2017, 22:33   #5
def90
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Ouch.. good luck with that receiver!
Old December 07, 2017, 09:32   #6
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
They seem to be selling them on gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/724362350

And sounds they are asking a lot for what I can say is at best an unknown quantity. Mark on the other hand sees it as a known quantity, but not a very good one.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 09:57   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I would be skeptical of any receiver sold without an e-block installed. Its absence prevents a number of QC checks from being performed.

In this case, we know Todd was a low-life piece of shit - knowingly selling dangerously defective galil receivers (and in comparison, I've never said the defective shit DSA knowingly sells was dangerously defective).

How many did he screw over here, on the defective folding cocking handle cuts? I'm fairly certain he didn't replace a single receiver that he ruined. Thank goodness he's dead so can't screw anyone else over.

So now some guys buy up all his crap and sell it under another name?
Old December 07, 2017, 10:40   #8
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote; gunplumber
"So now some guys buy up all his crap and sell it under another name?"

I think it's called "The Dayton way."

Dayton, OH 45430
Inspection/ Return Policy
AS IS - No refund or exchange

Please read the Item Characteristics for important listing details.

Made by Ohio Rapid Fire. This receiver is heat treated and ready to build on. Call 937-768-5060 to pay by CC. Fax FFL to 937-427-2932.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fal308762, Sorry, you need a miracle worker, not a Gunsmith. Glen Riddle is a good suggestion and you can try Randy Kline at sledgehammertexas@yahoo.com.
Be sure to tell them you have an ORF receiver and see if they will work with it.

I would be very reluctant to spend money on building with an ORF as it will have nearly zero resell value. Lots have been written here about these receivers. Urge you to do some research before continuing your project.

Last edited by MAINER; December 07, 2017 at 10:47.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 11:52   #9
thedrickel
don't tax me, bro
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 19388
I'm in the east bay but there's no way I would help you with an ORF. Sorry.
"During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ball player will average about 500 AB's a year. That means I played seven years in the major leagues without even hitting the ball."

Mickey Mantle
thedrickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 14:55   #10
fal308762
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
I'm in the east bay but there's no way I would help you with an ORF. Sorry.
just checked the receiver it is stamped ASSAULT WEAPONS OF OHIO fal 308 and #808

Beavercreek ohio. is that the same company? if these are a bad receiver why is gunbroker selling them. anyway any help and advice is appreciated. another question what receiver would anyone reading this do a built with, thanks

Last edited by fal308762; December 08, 2017 at 15:21.
Old December 08, 2017, 14:56   #11
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
just checked the receiver it is stamped ASSAULT WEAPONS OF OHIO fal 308 and #808

Beavercreek ohio. is that the same company? if so why is gunbroker selling them. anyway any help and advice is appreciated. another question what receiver would anyone reading this do a built with, thanks
I'd be looking for an Imbel to buy.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2017, 17:20   #12
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I'd be looking for an Imbel to buy.
So would I, and did, this one.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/725084447

Paid the same price for one six months ago. These are the jewels in the crown in the FAL world, none better, except for the originals.

PARSI imported hundreds? of these receivers before the import ban took place. They are dated 2001 in the mag well, at least mine was, but they are in NOS condition.

They are pricey, but that's the reality of the FAL market today.
Old December 08, 2017, 18:10   #13
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

Beavercreek ohio. is that the same company? if these are a bad receiver why is gunbroker selling them. anyway any help and advice is appreciated. another question what receiver would anyone reading this do a built with, thanks
Not the same company, but they have apparently reformed under a new name or purchased the leftover crap from ORF and are now peddling it in the markets. The link you provided stated as such; "Made by Ohio Rapid Fire. This receiver is heat treated and ready to build on."

I don't think gunbroker has any idea about the products sold on their marketplace. Could be that nobody has complained or more likely they don't give a ****.
Old December 09, 2017, 14:39   #14
fal308762
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I would be skeptical of any receiver sold without an e-block installed. Its absence prevents a number of QC checks from being performed.

In this case, we know Todd was a low-life piece of shit - knowingly selling dangerously defective galil receivers (and in comparison, I've never said the defective shit DSA knowingly sells was dangerously defective).

How many did he screw over here, on the defective folding cocking handle cuts? I'm fairly certain he didn't replace a single receiver that he ruined. Thank goodness he's dead so can't screw anyone else over.

So now some guys buy up all his crap and sell it under another name?
thanks mark for the quality report on DSA. if I buy a NOS imbel over $ 530 now on gunbroker.would you use my kit and build it? if so how much on average thanks. and of course it will be coming to CA so more bs etc thanks will
Old December 10, 2017, 09:56   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
thanks mark for the quality report on DSA. if I buy a NOS imbel over $ 530 now on gunbroker.would you use my kit and build it? if so how much on average thanks. and of course it will be coming to CA so more bs etc thanks will
Sure, prices and options on website. Will have to do something other than the bullet button I think, for CA, but not a problem.
Old December 10, 2017, 12:29   #16
fal308762
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Sure, prices and options on website. Will have to do something other than the bullet button I think, for CA, but not a problem.
thanks I will try and find your web site
Old December 10, 2017, 12:47   #17
adbm3
Registered

FALaholic #: 61973
No more bullet button in California starting in July 2018. The state outlawed what they had outlawed if that makes any sense. Put on a kydex grip blocker over the front grip, take off the "flash hider" and either leave bare or add a muzzle brake/compensator, and, if I am understanding this correctly, an evil high capacity mag may be used. Most of the AR fanatics have already done the conversions. The good news for all of the "oppressed" is that a lot of these laws are in the process of being contested at the higher court levels.

I've found FAL's to be fairly easy as DIY projects.
adbm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2017, 13:04   #18
fal308762
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
thanks I will try and find your web site
found the web site nice operation you have. what would you recommend to make my new fal CA legal? and how much
Old December 10, 2017, 13:14   #19
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I have no preference. I have brakes that look like the original but are not flash hiders, bayonet mounts or grenade launchers, for ban states. I have blocks to lock a folder in the open position for most rifle types.

Whether I just ship w/o grip, or if you supply one of those Kydex things, that's up to you. The build is the same.
Old December 10, 2017, 13:39   #20
fal308762
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
I have no preference. I have brakes that look like the original but are not flash hiders, bayonet mounts or grenade launchers, for ban states. I have blocks to lock a folder in the open position for most rifle types.

Whether I just ship w/o grip, or if you supply one of those Kydex things, that's up to you. The build is the same.
hi mark what do you think of the COONAN receiver. and what type. I carried a brit SLR for years and no idea of types. on the COONAN web site they say that some types will NOT be available after December this year. so I could do with your help in the selection of the type of receiver thanks
Old December 10, 2017, 15:08   #21
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Between a Brit Cut Coonan and Brit Cut DSA, I'd have to go with the DSA. At least with theirs, after an hour of additional machine work, I could get a mag to fit. The last Brit cut coonan had bolt over-base due to improper rail height, and I can't fix that.

Now I do have a personal IMBEL inch-cut receiver on which I was practicing the UK pattern external cuts - much easier than the Aussie pattern cuts. They're not perfect - I had to move the mag well cut up 3/16" because of serial number location. $600. subject to prior sale, etc. E-mail me gunplumber@arizonaresponsesystems.com

This is the last one I did, where I interrupted the serial number. I think making the cut a bit narrower and going over the # looks better. Will get a photo later when I'm ready to put it in marketplace.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co...ingcuts-08.jpg
Old December 10, 2017, 15:21   #22
fal308762
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Between a Brit Cut Coonan and Brit Cut DSA, I'd have to go with the DSA. At least with theirs, after an hour of additional machine work, I could get a mag to fit. The last Brit cut coonan had bolt over-base due to improper rail height, and I can't fix that.

Now I do have a personal IMBEL inch-cut receiver on which I was practicing the UK pattern external cuts - much easier than the Aussie pattern cuts. They're not perfect - I had to move the mag well cut up 3/16" because of serial number location. $600. subject to prior sale, etc. E-mail me gunplumber@arizonaresponsesystems.com

This is the last one I did, where I interrupted the serial number. I think making the cut a bit narrower and going over the # looks better. Will get a photo later when I'm ready to put it in marketplace.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co...ingcuts-08.jpg
nice