The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old November 26, 2017, 22:20   #1
Casqui1541
Registered

FALaholic #: 75204
Question re L1A1 Flash Suppressor

Just acquired my first inch pattern rifle; a Century L1A1 Sporter. Someone has already installed a FSE L1A1 flash suppressor on it. What would cause the flash suppressor to be loose? I can rotate it a degree or two in each direction. Is this an improper size indexing washer issue or a key being too narrow for the slot issue? If I take the pin out and remove the key, should I then be able to unscrew the flash suppressor from the muzzle? I guess I need to do that to determine exactly how this flash suppressor was installed. Didn't the muzzles on these usually have to be rethreaded? Thank you.
Casqui1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 22:59   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
The hider should be torqued on, and when doing so, the slot for the key will line up. Likely it was just threaded on till it was close enough, then the key inserted. Remove the pin and key, then see how far you can turn it clockwise. Don't be surprised if there are no threads on the muzzle, and the pinned key is the only thing holding the hider in place, because someone cut a new slot with a dremel.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 08:30   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
FSE were fake units during the AW ban. I worked with Harold on that project. There is probably is not a timing washer. Since they had to be soldered/pinned at the time the thread placement didn't need a timing washer.

If it's pinned at all, it is probably one that I machined out after the ban expired.
Old November 27, 2017, 18:55   #4
Casqui1541
Registered

Removed flash suppressor. It is an FSE 5-slot type. Has an "05" mark on it. I guess as a year of manufacture mark. Muzzle has already been threaded. Appears that there is no indexing washer. Is there a general rule of thumb for determining what size indexing washer is indicated? On a different note, I determined that the gas tube retaining pin is missing as well. How exactly does the pin retain the gas tube? It can't pass through much of the diameter as it would interfere with the piston. Gas tube has Brit markings. Is there only one size pin?

Mark, I'll check your website for these parts. I need to get a replacement wire for the wood L1A1 carry handle as well. Thanks to all for your responses I appreciate the help.

Last edited by Casqui1541; November 27, 2017 at 18:58. Reason: Add info.
Old November 27, 2017, 20:55   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
The gas tube pin fits in the holes at the rear of the gas block in the threaded port where the gas regulator fits. The pin provided an interference fit to the tube and does not go through the tube. The pin is retained by the gas regulator that is threaded on over it.

If you are looking at the holes about 1 to 1 inches back from the front of the tube, these are gas vent holes and allow the gasses to bleed off after the piston's stroke carries it back behind those holes.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 23:00   #6
Casqui1541
Registered

Thank you, tac-40. Your pic's and explanation clarified that perfectly.

Alright, I can rotate the flash suppressor on the L1A1 almost 90 degrees past the key slot to get it to bottom out on the threads. It looks to be about 85-87 degrees past the key slot. Any one know what size indexing washer is indicated for this scenario?
Old November 27, 2017, 23:14   #7
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casqui1541 View Post
Thank you, tac-40. Your pic's and explanation clarified that perfectly.

Alright, I can rotate the flash suppressor on the L1A1 almost 90 degrees past the key slot to get it to bottom out on the threads. It looks to be about 85-87 degrees past the key slot. Any one know what size indexing washer is indicated for this scenario?
If you're cheap, like most of us here, you can use a piece of solid copper wire as a crush washer. It takes a bit of practice, but does work. If you want it like it was done at the factory, you'll need the timing washer. I think Mark had a chart at one time.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2017, 17:21   #8
Casqui1541
Registered

Made gas tube pin and got it installed. Rifle's running great; on #6. Yet to make indexing washer that has worked out right yet.
Old December 04, 2017, 12:22   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Are you using your FSE FH or an original L1A1? Not sure how the FSE is cut, but an original would need the timing (positioning) washer along with the donut washer and pin.
On used original FH's, the washer can be crudded up and a bugger to get out.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co...a1-barrel.html
Old December 05, 2017, 18:26   #10
Casqui1541
Registered

I'm using the FSE as it's all I have right now. The muzzle's threaded, and I've got the donut washer and the pin. I tried to fabricate an indexing washer from existing washers but I was significantly off on the thickness.

I've read about the indexing washers. If I'm correct in my understanding that they cover 30-degrees of rotation and my flash suppressor's key slot times to approximately 90-degree's past the key slot in the barrel, does that mean I need a #3?

I will order an actual indexing washer, but I want to order the correct one the first time. I was glad to get the gas tube pinned, dial in the gas port, and flawlessly run rounds through the rifle. Got the rear sight set, too. Next is a front sight tool and get it dialed in. I'm liking this rifle.